Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    corvette said:

Factory cruise switches installed, programmed, and working. It was my first time removing an airbag. Kind of a bit nerve wracking, and I know they are designed not to go off when people are working on them, but I wore a static strap due to all the static electricity from the dry air, plus safety glasses, when working with the airbag.

Anyway, between now having cruise control plus most of the steering wheel buttons being relocated, it feels like a completely different vehicle, and I will probably have to get used to it again.

Color me impressed!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Just watched the video and meh is all I can say. She's not the most articulate person on the planet and doubt anything she said would make me want to buy the product...or not. Thanks for alerting me to it though. I do plan to give the Hyundai Kona EV a closer look as I do agree, it does look a lot better. Luckily, the Chevy dealer and the Hyundai guy is right across the street from us, couldn't be any closer. Do like that Chevy is throwing in the level 2 charger as an added bonus. Almost bought one back in August but never put a deposit down. Think I need to test the Kona first plus actually drive a Bolt to see if it'll work for us but I do think my driving style will be perfect for this kind of vehicle.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662

Just watched the video and meh is all I can say. She's not the most articulate person on the planet and doubt anything she said would make me want to buy the product...or not. Thanks for alerting me to it though. I do plan to give the Hyundai Kona EV a closer look as I do agree, it does look a lot better. Luckily, the Chevy dealer and the Hyundai guy is right across the street from us, couldn't be any closer. Do like that Chevy is throwing in the level 2 charger as an added bonus. Almost bought one back in August but never put a deposit down. Think I need to test the Kona first plus actually drive a Bolt to see if it'll work for us but I do think my driving style will be perfect for this kind of vehicle.

Doesn’t the company have any down there? That’s where I’ve driven them.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    edited December 2022

@corvette said:

Factory cruise switches installed, programmed, and working. It was my first time removing an airbag. Kind of a bit nerve wracking, and I know they are designed not to go off when people are working on them, but I wore a static strap due to all the static electricity from the dry air, plus safety glasses, when working with the airbag.

Anyway, between now having cruise control plus most of the steering wheel buttons being relocated, it feels like a completely different vehicle, and I will probably have to get used to it again.

Awesome. The Crown Vic guys used to do this on the CVPI’s. They would swap in a civilian wheel. Only worked for 06+

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    edited December 2022

@kyfdx said:
    The winters are still in my basement.. :D

Easier transaction than buying another car haha

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,558
    venture said:

This is probably @brelds problem with the shimmy in the MB.

————————————————-
    That’s a new one for me. I’m beginning to think it’s a corroded muffler bearing that grabs at speeds over 40 MPH.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    @venture - I'm surprised they didn't specifically mention using everyone's favorite, perfectly safe, insecticide of that era, DDT.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    impressive job Corvette. I'm not willing to go that far myself but glad it worked out!

thought of you today. was at the mall with the wife, and they had a truck accessories store (weird to find it there, but not as weird as the store that just sold bunnies)

anyway, I wandered through to see if they had any interesting cargo nets or strap set-ups, and saw that they had a drop in bedliner set (the main bed piece plus tailgate cover) on the floor, on sale. looked at the tag, and was shocked to see it was for a Maverick. I did not realize those were even out in the aftermarket, and odd to see it there.

$150 and it could be yours! not sure how easy it is to install. I had one done in 1990 some memory is fuzzy but I think it is double sided tape on the bad and sides that holds it all in place. Tailgate might be screwed in place?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

The one we had in a Sonoma, the bedliner part literally "dropped in" below the rails and there were cutouts where the built-in hooks could poke through. I don't think there was any double sided tape holding it in. The tailgate piece screwed in through existing holes--I think you removed the bolts holding in the tailgate release handle and then screwed them back in with the bedliner between them and the bed.

That sounds like a good price, it's about what I paid for the bed mat (which I still haven't installed the adhesive strips for).
    I think the guy that installed the one in my Nissan Hardbody put tape on the bed. that did go underneath the top lip (you could also get one that went over the top, I liked the cleaner look). But, the Maverick doesn't have a lip like that

venture said:

This is probably @brelds problem with the shimmy in the MB.

Are those like tree iguanas in Florida?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

corvette said:

The one we had in a Sonoma, the bedliner part literally "dropped in" below the rails and there were cutouts where the built-in hooks could poke through. I don't think there was any double sided tape holding it in. The tailgate piece screwed in through existing holes--I think you removed the bolts holding in the tailgate release handle and then screwed them back in with the bedliner between them and the bed.

That sounds like a good price, it's about what I paid for the bed mat (which I still haven't installed the adhesive strips for).

That is a good price for a bed liner. If I recall, the one I put in my Toyota pickup was $250 and that was in the 80s.

I've yet to see a Kona EV yet here in South Florida. Would love to try one just to see how they drive though. And in time, I will try everything out. But, the new time frame will be pushed back another 8 or so months until the 2024 models are on the showroom floors. Will be able to stash away some more cash to add to my trade so I'll be able to finance less. Luckily, the Goodyear tires are wearing very evenly as the last thing I want to do is buy another set of tires. I do need blades for the front and rear wipers though. It's been longer than I thought since they were all replaced. Unfortunately, one has to go to VW or an indie VW/Audi store to get them, none in the after market. Got mine at the indie place right down the street who charged about the same price & they even installed them for me.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,276
    edited December 2022

I've yet to see a Kona EV yet here in South Florida. Would love to try one just to see how they drive though. And in time, I will try everything out. But, the new time frame will be pushed back another 8 or so months until the 2024 models are on the showroom floors. Will be able to stash away some more cash to add to my trade so I'll be able to finance less. Luckily, the Goodyear tires are wearing very evenly as the last thing I want to do is buy another set of tires. I do need blades for the front and rear wipers though. It's been longer than I thought since they were all replaced. Unfortunately, one has to go to VW or an indie VW/Audi store to get them, none in the after market. Got mine at the indie place right down the street who charged about the same price & they even installed them for me.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,2015,golf,1.8l+l4+turbocharged,3308950,wiper+&+washer,wiper+blade,8852
    @mjfloyd1 - those look cheaper than AutoZone even when they have a sale, I'll have to keep that in mind.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    corvette said:

You're a brave man.

Help me understand what you did here, and why?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

the XL trim level on the Maverick is missing some common features, the most notable being cruise control. But some enterprising early owners discovered that you can but the few missing parts (mostly the buttons for the steering wheel) used on other trim levels, and install them on the XL. the rest is just programming to turn it on (all the electronics needed are already on the car). There is a tool (software) you can buy called ForScan that lets you program all kinds of stuff on Fords, including activating Cruise Control.

a lot cheaper than upgrading to the XLT trim level which has CC standard!

Cruise control used to be a vacuum pump and switches, linkages etc. Today with drive by wire it is all electronic and other than the switches adds nothing to the cost of the car.

exactly. Ford saves their $1.99 per truck, but mostly upsells people to the XLT because they really want Cruise. There is some other stuff of course but I can't recall what real features there are other than alloy wheels instead of steelies (it does have different color seats and trim)

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    Isn’t cruise now standard on 2023 Maverick XLs?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    stickguy said:

exactly. Ford saves their $1.99 per truck, but mostly upsells people to the XLT because they really want Cruise. There is some other stuff of course but I can't recall what real features there are other than alloy wheels instead of steelies (it does have different color seats and trim)

I've never really cared for cruise control, and can probably count the number of times I've used it on the fingers of one hand. I do believe I'm in the minority here, but that's never bothered me.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    I use cruise control in school zones, it keeps me from speeding. Most local school zones have a speed limit of 25. I also enjoy cruise on longer trips as I tend to get a heavy foot and want to avoid a ticket and being fussed at by the wife “aren’t you driving a bit too fast?” Somehow, regardless of vehicle she has a sixth sense the when speed gets close to 80 and she chimes in. lol

henryn said:

stickguy said:

I've never really cared for cruise control, and can probably count the number of times I've used it on the fingers of one hand. I do believe I'm in the minority here, but that's
    never bothered me.
    ————————————————
    Maybe it should. :p

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    sda said:

I use cruise control in school zones, it keeps me from speeding. Most local school zones have a speed limit of 25. I also enjoy cruise on longer trips as I tend to get a heavy foot and want to avoid a ticket and being fussed at by the wife “aren’t you driving a bit too fast?” Somehow, regardless of vehicle she has a sixth sense the when speed gets close to 80 and she chimes in. lol

————————————————
    Mrs. j considers 5 MPH over the speed limit as speeding. Needless to say I’m always speeding according to her.

jmonroe
    henryn said:

stickguy said:

I've never really cared for cruise control, and can probably count the number of times I've used it on the fingers of one hand. I do believe I'm in the minority here, but that's never bothered me.
    I am there with you. I rarely use it, and if I did not have it would not worry about it.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,391

I’ve only used cruise (autopilot) on the Tesla and that is purely to keep me out of trouble.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    the biggest issue I always had with cruise was where I usually did highway driving. in the Philly-NYC-Albany corridor (jersey turnpike, NY thruway) there was generally too much traffic going varying speeds to ever be able to set it. could never go more than a minute or 2 before having to kick it off. so just was not worth the effort.

occasionally the roads would be empty (like early on Christmas morning) and it was possible to set it and keep it on, just not often. So I just got used to not bothering.

plus I worry about stuff and it was actually more stressful, because I would drive with my foot hovering above the brake pedal. And that is less comfortable than just having it on the gas!

I will use it once in a while if my legs are stiff so I can stretch them out.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    Well, you can't really use cruise in traffic.

It comes in handy when you are on relatively empty multi-lane limited-access highways.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

So, not the NJ Turnpike!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,250
    Adaptive cruise is great for those types of conditions.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

in light traffic that is OK. in heavy traffic like that it is a constant heavy brake and hard accelerate action which is not pleasant.

The adaptive cruise in the Passat is pretty nice, especially while traveling. However in congested traffic, even though it brakes and accelerates as needed it does make me nervous and I find my foot ready to tap the brakes. A couple of times it got a bit confused when it detected a vehicle changing lanes and slammed on brakes without warning only to accelerate back up to speed.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    edited December 2022
    I’ve never really been a huge user of cruise. Like others have mentioned it seems that there is always too much traffic around and by the time it clears, I usually just say forget it. Intuitively, I know there’s another city to pass though in a relatively short time to the point its just not worth it.

Plus I’ve been know to take a shortcut over the river and through the woods that takes us by a good hole in the wall BBQ, burger or Taco joint.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    henryn said:

Nor me. When driving long distances, especially on interstates, it's helpful. If you're 100% local, I take your point.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

@Michaell said:

I really like ACC. The one feature I wish my truck had. Wife’s car has it (along with Pilot assist)

tjc78 said:

@Michaell said:

I really like ACC. The one feature I wish my truck had. Wife’s car has it (along with Pilot assist)

I usually set it at 5 above the speed limit - if traffic is moving slower, I maintain pace; otherwise, I don't feel like I'll get a ticket for excessive speed.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    edited December 2022
    Michaell said:

tjc78 said:

@Michaell said:

I usually set it at 5 above the speed limit - if traffic is moving slower, I maintain pace; otherwise, I don't feel like I'll get a ticket for excessive speed.

If you're 8, you're great - if you're 9, you're mine (imagine it in a LEO voice).

I use ACC along with distronic plus (steering, lanekeeping( in my car often, although it has quirks - gets confused with pocket or turn lanes, sometimes gets confused with barriers or bends in the road, etc. Much better in wide open interstate cruising or 2 lane highways than multi-lane urban situations, as the following distances are too high for dense slow traffic, so you get cut off again and again, causing the car to get into a panic spiral, and become a pylon.
    fintail said:

Michaell said:

tjc78 said:

@Michaell said:

If you're 8, you're great - if you're 9, you're mine (imagine it in a LEO voice).

I use ACC along with distronic plus (steering, lanekeeping( in my car often, although it has quirks - gets confused with pocket or turn lanes, sometimes gets confused with barriers or bends in the road, etc. Much better in wide open interstate cruising or 2 lane highways than multi-lane urban situations, as the following distances are too high for dense slow traffic, so you get cut off again and again, causing the car to get into a panic spiral, and become a pylon.

My dad spent the last 10 years of his career as a sworn peace officer, so I tried to avoid getting pulled over by the local PD, as they would invariably ask "aren't you related to xxx?".

I know my cousins had the same problem (same last name).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

the hassle with ACC is when you get behind a poker, and aren't going with the flow of traffic, just locked onto grandma.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    I set my cruise at 10 over and have yet to be stopped.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

stickguy said:

the hassle with ACC is when you get behind a poker, and aren't going with the flow of traffic, just locked onto grandma.

That's what the passing lanes are for. And, if there aren't any, the lack of ACC won't mean you'll be going any faster.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

if you are going to pull out you are off cruise anyway. Just not worth the hassle to me!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    edited December 2022
    Friday I finally had a chance to drive a G42 M240i at my BMW dealer; it was a 2022 out of the BMW NA corporate fleet so it had xDrive. It's a really nice car; it feels bigger than my 2er from the drivers seat- primarily because the power dome bulge on the hood makes the look bigger than it seems. The only thing I really don't care fore is the digital IP, the E43/53 AMG cars have much better displays that are easier to read and have more configurations to choose from.
    Anyway, after I drove it the NCM(who was a salesperson when I worked there) told me he had two M240i cars inbound. One is a xDrive car fitted with literally every option while the other car is in Status 11 which means I can change every option- and can get it in RWD. I was offered either car at a tick over invoice. I put together an order- everything but HP Tire and cooling. My wife(bless her heart) suggested saving the $2,400 and put it toward a dedicated track car(likely a Spec E36) in a couple of years when I retire and the Clubman is sold.
    A friend of mine with contacts at NA is checking to see whether there's a secret order code that deletes the sunroof; that would seal the deal.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

ab348 said:

Help me understand what you did here, and why?

@stickguy nailed it. I would note that the 2023 Maverick has standard cruise control on all trim levels--likely, it wasn't worth the assembly line bottlenecks associated with having different switches with no cruise on the XL trim level.

Drove the Prius up to Cataract Falls in Indiana today since it hasn't been driven on a long trip in a while. It was fine, but I missed the better refinement of the Maverick. BTW, the eight speed automatic in the Maverick has been flawless.
    I also set the cc for 10 miles over the limit and have been fine. Now that season is finally here, the roads are a bit more crowded so using it less & less. At work, we start and end at our chase vehicle which is very close to our house. Then we normally drive up to Palm Beach International, PBI, where our boss is. There are many days where we go down to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami and back to PBI a few times a day. Or, we go the other direction to Vero Beach or Ft. Pierce, but we do a lot of driving most days. I don't mind the driving as many times, I'm sitting in the chase vehicle after dropping off a vehicle somewhere.
    Starting time is now at 8 am and that has been since we came back from our furlough in 2020. Before that, 7:30 am & occasionally 7:00 am would be our starting times. I sent a text to our boss last week suggesting we go back to an earlier starting time, but he said for the time being, it ain't happening. Told him since it gets darker earlier now, it made more sense to start a bit earlier but it fell on deaf ears it seems. Think it's a profoundly stupid idea but he's the boss...and I'm not, so we're done suggesting anything.

stickguy said:

if you are going to pull out you are off cruise anyway. Just not worth the hassle to me!

Not necessarily. If you have the CC set at a higher limit, it will resume that speed when you pull out from behind the slowpoke.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Not necessarily. If you have the CC set at a higher limit, it will resume that speed when you pull out from behind the slowpoke.
    around here you will get run over doing that. If you are in the right lane already running cruise you are probably below the flow in the left lane. so if you are pulling out there you better be running the speed up quick!

or you drive in sparse traffic so it doesn't matter.

stickguy said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

around here you will get run over doing that. If you are in the right lane already running cruise you are probably below the flow in the left lane. so if you are pulling out there you better be running the speed up quick!

or you drive in sparse traffic so it doesn't matter.
    Pretty much the latter, around here and the times I’m on the road.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator