Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199
    Is that an Olds Alero, next to it?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

I believe it is.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,056
    One of my earliest automotive memories is my Dad's friend's '60 Bonneville convertible. I remember riding in it in the winter and thinking it was drafty and creaky, LOL. The '60 styling was an improvement on the '59 to me.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    It's funny how Pontiac made a big deal about that "wide track" styling, but those wheels still look a bit tucked in, to me. However, that's judging it against modern standards. I'm sure if I pulled up a pic of a 1960 Laurentian, or Chevy, the difference in the track would really be noticeable.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    edited November 2022
    Yep an Alero at left. Around here, something like an Alero isn't too unusual, still some around. I also notice in the pic a Chrysler JX/LX coupe in the background (hood up), a 92-96 Camry in the background, and a 90s Grand Cherokee that appears to be in good condition. This is time warp territory.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    The only old cars of mine that I know are still around are my 1973 Bronco, my 1973 Bavaria, my 1975 2002 and my 1988 M6.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936

The only old cars of mine that I know are still around are my 1973 Bronco, my 1973 Bavaria, my 1975 2002 and my 1988 M6.

Wow, that’s impressive.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

Wow, that’s impressive.
    Thanks! I forgot one- I also know who owns my 1984 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I think I'll ask my State Farm agent. Then ask Indiana department of motor vehicles. I'm sure that's a waste of time.I believe I also registered that car in Ohio, so I may ask Ohio how far back they can retrieve records.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

The people I bought my '57 DeSoto from, back in 1990, said that their adult children all had a fit, when they decided to sell it. Apparently the kids and grandkids all loved that car. But, naturally, nobody wanted to step up and take it when the time came.

I did keep in touch with the elderly couple I bought it from for awhile. I remember the wife passing away in 1991, and I think the husband, at some point, ended up moving in with one of the kids. I found his obituary online; he ended passing away in 2009. https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/york/name/russell-spangler-obituary?id=23434854

In a bit of an ironic twist, 2009 was the year I finally got off my duff and had the DeSoto towed to the mechanic, to start what would end up being a lengthy journey of getting it road-worthy again. So, in passed away, the same year my DeSoto began its "rebirth".

Does that mean he was, wait for it... ReinCARnated? :p

Anyway, I wonder if the kids and grandkids ever think about that car, and wonder whatever became of it.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    Sounds like my dad's 1970 Chevy pickup. All four grandsons wanted it when my dad passed in 2016, but he had told my sister to have my mom sell the truck and distribute the proceeds equally between them.

It got sold to a CHP officer, who was going to perform a light restoration on it. I'd love to encounter it on one of my trips home.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

andre, were the people you bought it from the original owners?

I was in Ludlow, VT today, and the Chevy dealer there had on his used car lot, an SSR, a '98 Firebird, and Pontiac Solstice.

I had taken my daughter back to New Haven from Thanksgiving break and wanted to see the Calvin Coolidge Historical Area in Plymouth Notch, VT, while I was only three hours away. Well, I hadn't counted on my daughter slowing me down for a half-hour this morning, or sitting on I-91 north of Hartford for an hour due to an accident. At Plymouth Notch, It was off-season so none of the buildings were open, but I saw where he took the oath of office from his father upon Harding's death, and I saw his very simple gravesite. His wife lived until July 1957. I was stunned how remote it is there. I had zero internet on my phone until I was about five or six miles south of Plymouth Notch.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    I've loved Vermont for most of my life. A brief citizen after college (Burlington). I enjoyed the Ludlow area for 6 ski seasons with rental homes in the area. Where I met the ex.
    Okemo and Killington/Pico were our "home" mountains, when a bit more ambitious would ski Sugarbush, Mad River, Stratton and Bromley.
    It's a nice summer vacation, too. Hiking, biking, activities on the mountains. Perhaps another visit is warranted, uplanderguy. Nice drives, too, as you saw.
    "Remote" can be a good description of much of the state!
    Had always wanted a ski home on Lake Rescue, but it never came to be. Shoulda, of course. Everything I was looking at those many years ago, I can afford even less now!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Uplander, the people I bought my DeSoto from had bought it used, in 1959, at a Pontiac dealer. The husband told me that the previous owner had been some kind of salesman who drove it on a lot of business trips, and had traded on a '59 Catalina.

The folks I bought it from made the jump to Pontiac themselves in 1966, when they bought a '64 Catalina; a 4-door sedan, I believe. But, the wife liked the DeSoto so much, that they held onto it an became a 2-car family. The wife also said she liked the way the DeSoto drove in bad weather. Unfortunately, that quickly meant "Oh crap, it's raining/snowing/etc and/or they're treating the roads. So, let's not take the good car, let's take the DeSoto!"

All things considered though, especially considering the reputation these cars had, it wasn't TOO rusty when I bought it. Typical rust around the headlight bezels (worse on the driver's side), rear quarter panels had some bondo in them (again, worse on the driver's side) and the trunk floor had some spots in it.

When I bought the car in 1990, they had a Buick Century sedan, an '80 I believe. My memory's getting a bit fuzzy, but I think they kept the Catalina up until they got the Century.

I've never been to New England, unless "barely into Connecticut" counts. I've always wanted to go visit that area, though. At some point in my life, I've hit the majority of the rest of the lower 48, but for some reason, never New England. Which is a bit odd, since it's not that far away.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    One May, I decided to drive through Smuggler's Notch but had to turn around when I same up to a 10 wall of snow.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I don't think I've ever seen a pic of this many R-bodies in one place, other than old dealership photos or those "sales bank lot" photos from back in the day...

I don't know where this was taken; I found it on facebook in an R-body page, taken by a guy who went junkyarding.

I'm surprised there's still this many of these things sitting around in junkyards. This might also be the first time I've seen a Newport, St. Regis, New Yorker, and NYer 5th Ave Edition, all in the same shot! If that brown one with the hood up, that's missing the front is a Gran Fury, that would complete the set!
    RE.: Vermont--at least where I was--I thought it was geographically beautiful, similar IMHO to West Virginia, although enjoys a better reputation. I did see my share of poverty in that hour of driving from the interstate to Plymouth Notch. I swung into the Vermont Country Store, which looked like a very big Cracker Barrel store. My wife would've loved it and I guess it's been there for decades.

My drive from VT into NY was scenic, going past some ski areas. I got onto I-90 at Troy, NY. Still in the hotel in Syracuse now and leaving for home, about five or six hours I think, shortly.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Explorer, Rte. 108 through the notch is closed in winter for just the reason you noted. If you drive it in the warmer months, you'll also see why it's a darn good idea to close it in less than ideal conditions! But, a lovely drive, with points to park and explore.
    Stowe and Smuggs used to have a reciprocal agreement; you could ski between the two areas and spend the day at one or the other. You had to ski across a (hopefully!) frozen mountain pond to do it, adding to the adventure. We would Winter break at Smuggs, ski a day at Stowe (trail from Smuggs led to Spruce Peak, shuttle to Mt Mansfield). We would hide a backpack with wine/cheese on the Smuggs side of the pond and celebrate a glorious day on the slopes with an end of day happy hour. Of course, we still had to get down the Smuggs mountain to get home, so only a mild celebration!
    One year, the Smuggs ski patrol was doing their final sweep and came across us enjoying, they seemed amused but asked us to move along so they could finish up. We obliged, of course.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    It is a pretty geographic area. You were Close to where I live now too. When you got into NY.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Also spotted in rural VT was a ‘62 or ‘63 Ford ‘wrongbed’ pickup. It was a faded dark green with stock-looking white wheels. Sitting in a driveway and looked all there.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685

Leaving work, behind a really sharp ‘65 Corvette roadster with a healthy cam. The smells took me back, don’t get pollution like that anymore!

andre, spotted this on I-90 just west of Buffalo, NY the other day. Might have to show lemko!

Snow season is here, have seen a few oddballs on the road. A first gen Explorer used as a snowplow seems like a risky idea. A Geo Tracker with a plow was nice to plow my street with an amusingly narrow track. Also saw a Mazda Navajo cut down into a pickup, doing winter duty.
    edited December 2022
    Yuck, snow!! We've been lucky here, so far, although it was down to about 24 degrees this morning, so we've definitely had the weather for it. It's about 50 here now, though. But, there's still a damp chill in the air. I am noticing that the older I get, the less tolerant I am of cold weather.

One of my friends used to have a 1998 Tracker convertible. It was just RWD. The good thing about it though, is that if it did get stuck, it was light enough to push until it got traction!

I sent that pic to Lemko on facebook; he got a kick out of it!
    Snow season started early here this year, have had at least a little snow on the ground for almost a month - weird as summer started late, so trees are late and even today still shedding leaves. Snowiest November since 2010 IIRC, we've had around 18" so far, 8" of that from Wednesday. Fintail will be taking a real hibernation - should go out and let it run for a bit, get to full operating temperature, just to keep it limber.
    edited December 2022
    I remember us having a snow storm on the last weekend in October, back in 2011. It was the earliest I can ever remember it snowing. We got around 4-5 inches, but it seemed really weird, because the grass was still fairly green, and the trees still had most of their leaves on them. I had some flowers sitting out on the deck, like Impatiens or something like that, and they still had blossoms on them!

It hit on a Saturday. But then Sunday, it warmed up fast, with temps in the 50's. We went down to the Busch Gardens amusement park in Williamsburg Va that day, and by the time we got down there, it was downright pleasant. Although going on some of the roller coasters, after it got dark, and chilly again, wasn't the best idea, in hindsight!

I guess I need to get out there and get the cars started, next time we have a somewhat warm day. It's been awhile since I've had the whole fleet running at once.

The last "real" snow storm we had was in early 2016. 19 inches...

We're probably overdue at this point, but I gotta say, I don't miss it!
    edited December 2022
    A domestic sedan that caught my eye today. Kind of modern and slightly retro to boot, in the way that the early 2000's Thunderbird hit me too. Wasn't the show car version of this one with suicide doors? That would've been nice.

Speaking of Lincoln, has anyone seen the recent TV commercial that shows heritage vehicles of theirs? It caught my eye first due to the Mark II, which I love--probably the first postwar domestic long-hood/short-deck styling--but what also rather surprised me is their showing an early '60's Lincoln with what looks like the presidential flags the limo on 11/22/63 had on the front fenders. The Continental in the commercial wasn't a limo, but I sort-of question the intelligence of featuring that car in that manner.

Here's the ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpZ6WE5hI1s

I know the entire working world is younger than me now, but I think I'd have picked a light-color early-sixties Continental, and left the flag off the front fenders.
    I liked the recent Continental but it was short lived. Seems anything that is a sedan these days is pretty much headed to the chopping block. I think the only main stream domestic sedans left is the Malibu and the more expensive Cadillacs. The 300 and Charger could be included as well. Not much to choose from.

edited December 2022

Problem with the Continental was the FWD platform that has roots with all the other FWD Ford sedans. At the price point they were selling them at, I’d wager that level of buyer wants RWD with AWD available.

If it wasn’t for the Navigator Lincoln wouldn’t exist. It’s a shame as most of you know I love my 70s-90s Lincoln’s.

I like heritage themed commercials, but they left out about 60 years there, and some cars that are deserving like a Mark V or Mark VII in the right trim. Yeah, saying "making history" with a flag-bedecked Kennedy style Continental is a brave choice.

My friend who bought a CT6 also likes the Continental. Wasn't there a "coach door" edition? One that was maybe off the mark as it still has a B-pillar.

Yes there was a special edition or maybe an aftermarket thing.

It is surprising they left out the Mark VII. That car was very favorable in the mid - late 80s. It actually offered some performance with the luxury.

tjc78 said:

Yes there was a special edition or maybe an aftermarket thing.

It is surprising they left out the Mark VII. That car was very favorable in the mid - late 80s. It actually offered some performance with the luxury.

My aunt had an '85 Mark VII LSC model. Even with a 160 HP 5.0, it was very nice.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Lincoln sales YTD: Corsair 25131, Nautilus 19154, Aviator 20324, Navigator 11611.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    On Utube Charles Phoenix just did a video on a very nice 58 DeSoto Fireflight Sportsman with 30k original miles. Paging @andre1969

edited December 2022
    The Mark VII LSC was the last Lincoln that I seriously considered owning. The later sedans(save the very nice but ill-fated LS) were all too big and/or FWD based so they left me cold- the new comb overs crossovers I find even less desirable.
    I may have mentioned this before, but I wish Lincoln would have revived the Cougar using the Mustang platform; THAT I would find interesting.

@explorerx4 said:
    Lincoln sales YTD: Corsair 25131, Nautilus 19154, Aviator 20324, Navigator 11611.

Stunned. However, I’d argue they made the most profit on the Navigators.

edited December 2022
    Yeah, saying "making history" with a flag-bedecked Kennedy style Continental is a brave choice.

A former coworker of mine said, "That absolutely triggers the brain to JFK in Dallas" and called it "tasteless". (He's not a car guy.)

I do wonder the age of the person that came up with the idea, and approved it in the commercial.
    I have not seen this on TV, but a friend sent it to me this morning. Apparently it's this year's Chevy nostalgic commercial. I am tired of '57 Chevys, but have always been a sucker for a Nomad.

I think this commercial is harder to follow than last year's. My friend thinks so too.

I think the car belonged to Mr. and Mrs. Hayes; he died in the early '70's perhaps; she befriends neighborhood kid and he likes the car; he repairs it for her for Christmas (it didn't start at the beginning of the commercial).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhL3pc9sN08

The Mark VII LSC was the last Lincoln that I seriously considered owning. The later sedans(save the very nice but ill-fated LS) were all too big and/or FWD based so they left me cold- the new comb overs crossovers I find even less desirable.
    I may have mentioned this before, but I wish Lincoln would have revived the Cougar using the Mustang platform; THAT I would find interesting.

I used to work with a guy who owned a black '87 Mark VII and then a dark green '92 Both of them were bought used, a couple years old. He lived up north of Baltimore and probably drove about 80-90 miles per day commuting, so he racked up the miles pretty quickly.

He bought a 2000 LS, brand new. I think his '92 Mark VII had about 170-180,000 miles on it by then, and they had both been good cars. The LS was such a turd that he was able to get the dealer to take it back, and give him a killer deal that was too good to refuse on a 2001. The 2001 didn't give him any issues, but the 2000 had left him so gun-shy that he traded it before the warranty was up, on a 2004 Acura TL, and as far as I know, he's stuck with Acuras ever since. Last time I talked to him, he was doing leases, so he'd just turn them in, before they got old enough to get troublesome, and got into the habit of having something that's always fairly new.

I can't remember what issues he had now, with the LS, but seem to recall transmission problems, and overheating issues were among them. The 2000 was a V6, and the 2001 was a V8.

@uplanderguy I've given up trying to follow that commercial. The Nomad is very cool, though.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited December 2022
    Here's the 5 min. 50 sec. extended version of this year's Chevy Christmas commercial, "Mrs. Hayes". Fills in some of the holes for me. Stretches belief that she'd be driving that Nomad as her only car but as a nostalgic old grumpy guy, I'm moved by it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhfaBfuaq8E
    I do remember that old lady from Wisconsin who was driving her black '57 Bel Air Sport Sedan 'til a couple or three years ago, her only car, I guess.
    I can't think if I'm remembering Mark VII's or some other model, but I seem to remember seeing some '80's Lincolns looking like lowriders, with the airbag suspension shot.

I can't think if I'm remembering Mark VII's or some other model, but I seem to remember seeing some '80's Lincolns looking like lowriders, with the airbag suspension shot.

There was another guy at work, who had one of those Fox-based Continental sedans. It had some kind of airbag suspension system. When it blew, the car looked like a lowrider. It was also prohibitively expensive to repair, so he dumped the car. This would've been around 1993 or so.

Now that I think about it, the real estate agent I used to sell my condo, back in 2004, had one of those first-gen FWD Continental sedans...that '88-94 generation, I believe. It had suspension issues, and was sitting way too low. It also had a window tint on it that almost looked like it would be illegal. It was weird...you'd see this Continental coming up in the distance, looking like it's about to do a drive-by shooting, and then this sweet little old lady would get out! She ended up replacing it with a Kia Amanti.
    My wife watches the Hallmark Channel.

Seems at least one character on every show drives some sort of '60s SUV as a daily driver. (Bronco, etc). You know, restored to 99%, with a current value of about $120K. Like he's a farmer. :#

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

RE.: Amanti--I knew of a guy who bought a black Amanti and placed black electrical tape over part of the 'M' so it looked like it said "AVANTI" when you came up to it, LOL.
    Hallmark Channel--

My wife is enamored with it.

I think every actor is a beautiful person, and the stories so contrived. I tell her, "I like that one where the woman is just out of a relationship and goes back to her small hometown and falls for the single owner of the inn", LOL.

Character names often "Holly" or "Chris", LOL.

I'll give Hallmark this--they know their audience. I think those shows are very popular with women of a certain age range.

I always loved the TV Christmas movie called "The Homecoming". It ended up, accidentally, being a pilot for "The Waltons" TV show. It starred Patricia Neal as the mother, Edgar Bergen as Grandpa, and was darker and edgier than the TV show was, I think (although I'll admit to having watched the TV show regularly). My wife thinks it's dark and not happy, so won't watch it....but jumps at the newest Hallmark movie.

Go figure.
    Friend sent me this. Old news from me, but man I still like these Sevilles.

https://www.thelastdetail.com/1977-cadillac-seville-c-1338.htm
    edited December 2022

The V8 Lincoln LS was much more reliable than the V6 surprisingly.

The Mark VII’s powertrain (5.0/AOD) was pretty much bulletproof. The problem was the suspension, anti-lock brakes and electrical gremlins.

The 88-94 Continental was just a mess. All the 3.8 V6 Taurus problems carried over, and then four wheel air suspension as well. Just not a good car. Decent looking, good riding and comfortable for the time… just not a long term keeper