Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    edited December 2022
    sda said:

The adaptive cruise in the Passat is pretty nice, especially while traveling. However in congested traffic, even though it brakes and accelerates as needed it does make me nervous and I find my foot ready to tap the brakes. A couple of times it got a bit confused when it detected a vehicle changing lanes and slammed on brakes without warning only to accelerate back up to speed.

The Tacoma is pretty similar, I too find myself "monitoring" what it does. I use it a lot just to keep from using my lead foot. My other complaint is when the road curves and someone in front of you gets into the left turn lane to turn, it'll brake even though the car is really no longer in your way. First world problems...
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    I'm in the camp of loving adaptive cruise, to the point that it's just about a must-have option for my vehicles, at least the primary drivers. I don't use it on a daily basis, but we have a toll road that I use fairly often and I usually flick it on for that, and for road trips I feel it makes for a much improved experience.

Not all system are created equal of course. Others probably do it too, but my Volvos/Polestar will start accelerating as soon as you flip the turn signal to pass, making for smooth passing.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    edited December 2022
    Back from a week in Sedona. Rental car was a A5 Sportbak in rental special white over black. It had the S-line stuff, and most importantly, the optional sport seats. The old 2.0T gets the job done but never lets you forget it's a 4-popper. Even in the 'dynamic' setting, it feels lethargic off the line. Flip side was the FE was pretty good, even when cruising, ahem, in the 85-90 range across AZ. Tech is feeling old. But the highlight was the seats themselves, which Tesla needs to copy immediately. In concept, the BMW sport seats are similar, but these just seemed to fit me and my wife better. Made for a respectable trip car in the end.

Also, booked a 'X3 or equivalent' with Enterprise, and they tried to give me a X2 at pickup. I know it's only one digit off to most, but these aren't equivalents to me. One's a tall 3er, and one is a Mini. Anyhow, the A5 worked fine.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    tifighter said:

Back from a week in Sedona. Rental car was a A5 Sportbak in rental special white over black. It had the S-line stuff, and most importantly, the optional sport seats. The old 2.0T gets the job done but never lets you forget it's a 4-popper. Even in the 'dynamic' setting, it feels lethargic off the line. Flip side was the FE was pretty good, even when cruising, ahem, in the 85-90 range across AZ. Tech is feeling old. But the highlight was the seats themselves, which Tesla needs to copy immediately. In concept, the BMW sport seats are similar, but these just seemed to fit me and my wife better. Made for a respectable trip car in the end.

Also, booked a 'X3 or equivalent' with Enterprise, and they tried to give me a X2 at pickup. I know it's only one digit off to most, but these aren't equivalents to me. One's a tall 3er, and one is a Mini. Anyhow, the A5 worked fine.

Thanks for the mini review of the A5 SB - I've been eyeing those, in addition to the BMW 6-series, lately.

Lots of good roads in and around Sedona to test the suspension.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    I kinda like the X2 to be honest. It's the perfect size for my needs and really is a Mini Cooper Countryman underneath. Both are pretty pricey to be honest but with the right price at the right time, I'd get either and call it a day. Not "cheap to keep" which is the direction I'm wanting to go to but both a hoot to drive. So, for the time being, I do nothing and wait. But, if I find the right vehicle at the right price, I'd definitely pull the trigger like I did with the Golf eight years ago. I'll know it when I see it & won't be afraid to jump. But, that time hasn't come yet so setting my sites on a 2024 model.
    Luckily at work, we've been getting in a lot of new vehicles so am getting to drive a lot of different makes & models. Doubt I'd do a CPO unit but haven't ruled out getting a low mileage ex-rental from Enterprise though I prefer new to a CPO unit. Will just have to wait & see. Just under 73K on the Golf right now, tires are in great shape, oil change not needed until April at this point, so no sense looking for another vehicle. Not against keeping a vehicle for 9 or 10 years as have done this previously. Hoping supply chains & inventory will be in better shape in 2024 as well as lower interest rates for used vehicle/new vehicles as will finance again for the first time since 1981. Won't be a cash deal next time around as I don't want to mess with the portfolio right now. And not sure I'd go the beater route like some do but it is tempting. With my luck, I'd pick up a real money pit and never hear the end of it. When I do mention looking for something different, the "Tucson situation" comes up, something I care to forget!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Car prices, both new and used, went to heights I never expected to see. And the high prices have persevered longer than I had ever expected. As a result, I have no idea when or even if things will return to "normal". We may just have to get used to a "new normal". I know Ford, for one, wants to move to a model where most customers order their new car instead of purchasing from dealer inventory. I am not in favor of that, but I could learn to live with it.

As for interest rates, that is a different game altogether. Some economists (Paul Krugman for one) believe that we will return to low interest rates in the foreseeable future. The good news is, my 401k has recouped a good deal of it's earlier losses. Knock on wood that trend continues.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

@roadburner said:
    I set my cruise at 10 over and have yet to be stopped.

————————————————-
    But if you were, it wouldn’t be wise for him to try and pull rank on you. o:)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    henryn said:

Car prices, both new and used, went to heights I never expected to see. And the high prices have persevered longer than I had ever expected. As a result, I have no idea when or even if things will return to "normal". We may just have to get used to a "new normal". I know Ford, for one, wants to move to a model where most customers order their new car instead of purchasing from dealer inventory. I am not in favor of that, but I could learn to live with it.

As for interest rates, that is a different game altogether. Some economists (Paul Krugman for one) believe that we will return to low interest rates in the foreseeable future. The good news is, my 401k has recouped a good deal of it's earlier losses. Knock on wood that trend continues.

There are some indications that inflation is peaking. A few indicators are holding flat or down slightly. Some are still up though and we know the car market is softening.

here’s to hope!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

One data point - the number of posts we're seeing on these forums is increasing, slightly. Meaning more people are asking questions about lease programs and purchase information.

Carvana gave me a quote of $19,500 for the Outback late last week.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    I just caved and ordered some All Season tires for the N. I thought maybe we'd have a more typical Seattle winter with temps at or above 40s most of the time - but it just is not shaking out that way.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    Where did you order the tires and which did you select?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    tifighter said:

Was that a National? I've read they have a number of A4/A5 and Audi CUVs in their fleet.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

I ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s from Discount Tire - they should be in by EOW. I put those on the Tesla and they performed incredibly well across the mountain passes and in the snow we've had in the lowlands after the last week, so I'm more than happy to order the same ones!

The place where my Mom locally services her 2022 Lexus RX 350 AWD said that her tires were ok, but most likely won't make it through the winter. With 20K miles on the OEM tires, I ordered her a set of Michelin Cross Climate 2s from tire rack.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Ford picked a bad time to move to that model.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

That’s terrible mileage out of tires on a mainstream CUV.

stickguy said:

I only got 23,000 miles from the OEM tires on the Outback, and 26,500 on the tires on the MINI.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

My Acura is at 17 something. Last oil change at 16+, they were still marked as green. Maybe 8/32? Deep enough to easily project to 40k, and probably age out before balding out! They are Continentals

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I only got 23,000 miles from the OEM tires on the Outback, and 26,500 on the tires on the MINI.
    How long did it take you to reach those 23,000 miles? I think my Mom has had the RX for just about 1 year.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    apparently, getting someone to work on your vehicle is about as easy as getting someone to work on your house. We've been striking out everywhere at getting someone to take on the Sprinter project. Either not calling us back or too busy with other stuff to entertain it. I spoke with one who asked me to send everything through email. I did that a couple of weeks ago and not heard from him since. My wife spoke with one who said they only take on full camper builds and are months out even on that. So she finally admitted "I guess you'll have to do it yourself." So I've ordered sidesteps, brush guard, power inverter, and 2 flipdown monitors. I did tell her, though, I'm not comfortable replacing the windows, so we really need to find someone who will do at least that, if we can.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@qbrozen - not trying to give you a hard time, but what's going on with the Gloria?

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

How long did it take you to reach those 23,000 miles? I think my Mom has had the RX for just about 1 year.
    Roughly 33 months for the Outback, and 31 months for the MINI

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    edited December 2022
    The Tacoma tires will be replaced soon, only 15K miles. I'll put something else on other than the OEM Goodyears given that this is 2 trucks where I've failed to get 20K out of them. I can't explain it either.

The Acura's tires will be fine for the duration of the lease and beyond. If it's around, I'll probably go with the same Michelin's @28firefighter did for his fleet.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    Just realized that the Acura is a week away from 33 months. And on NYE the Maverick turns 1. With no sign of a replacement on the horizon.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    We got 33K out of our Tacoma tires. I would have taken my chances on the turn-in, but once we decided to extend the lease, we bought a new set. We put on the same tire (Toyo)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562

I ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s from Discount Tire - they should be in by EOW. I put those on the Tesla and they performed incredibly well across the mountain passes and in the snow we've had in the lowlands after the last week, so I'm more than happy to order the same ones!

I put those on my car and the difference is much better than the OEM tires.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

fintail said:

tifighter said:

Was that a National? I've read they have a number of A4/A5 and Audi CUVs in their fleet.
    Enterprise, National and Alamo are all the same company.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited December 2022
    Update on the E450…the service advisor called me yesterday to let me know they had ordered and installed a new door handle to address the keyless access issue on the driver’s door. When that didn’t address the issue, they dug deeper and found that some aftermarket GPS tracker device (I don’t know, I’ll have to ask more about it) was installed and spliced into the wiring, affecting the keyless access. After 2 hours of labor to diagnose that, it’ll be another 2 hours to fix it. I learned that inflation is definitely evidenced by an MB service department’s hourly rate.

Then they let me know the shimmy/vibration was still present after rebalancing the wheels (not a surprise, since I told them they had been recently rebalanced) and that upon further inspection two of the wheels appear to be bent. So those will be sent off to a wheel shop for straightening.

Happy to have the issues addressed, but certainly frustrated at the cost to complete them, when I had figured the solutions would be more warranty-related.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Car dealers put on tracking devices to make repo's easier.
    RX 350 was mentioned earlier. One of my SILs has one. Both times I went to get in the front passenger seat, I whacked my head on the upper door sill.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    breld said:

Update on the E450…the service advisor called me yesterday to let me know they had ordered and installed a new door handle to address the keyless access issue on the driver’s door. When that didn’t address the issue, they dug deeper and found that some aftermarket GPS tracker device (I don’t know, I’ll have to ask more about it) was installed and spliced into the wiring, affecting the keyless access. After 2 hours of labor to diagnose that, it’ll be another 2 hours to fix it. I learned that inflation is definitely evidenced by an MB service department’s hourly rate.

Then they let me know the shimmy/vibration was still present after rebalancing the wheels (not a surprise, since I told them they had been recently rebalanced) and that upon further inspection two of the wheels appear to be bent. So those will be sent off to a wheel shop for straightening.

Happy to have the issues addressed, but certainly frustrated at the cost to complete them, when I had figured the solutions would be more warranty-related.

Was this a CPO? If so I don’t know how bent rims passed the inspection.

RX 350 was mentioned earlier. One of my SILs has one. Both times I went to get in the front passenger seat, I whacked my head on the upper door sill.

Well that’s interesting. I’ve followed up with the selling broker/dealer to see if that’s something they installed.

On another note, Acura finally confirmed an Integra Type S, not that there was any suspense. Also not surprising is that it shares the same powertrain as the Civic Type R, so should offer most of the fun of the Honda in a more mature package.

I confirmed with my Acura salesperson that I am on the “reserve list.”

au1994 said:

breld said:

Was this a CPO? If so I don’t know how bent rims passed the inspection.
    Not a CPO, so lesson learned on the importance of a PPI when buying used. Or at least a more thorough test drive, so that’s on me. I didn’t take it on the highway.

@qbrozen - that sounds extremely frustrating. I've had various issues with auto shops, but thankfully, have a really good glass company that I can count on.

@breld - that also stinks; I know how annoying it is to buy a vehicle and almost immediately have to spend money on unanticipated repairs.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@nyccarguy said:
    @qbrozen - not trying to give you a hard time, but what's going on with the Gloria?

It is for sale. Interested? ;b

BaT write back and, as expected, asked if I’d go no reserve. I haven’t responded yet. I’m hesitant now since we are in December with a 30-yr-old RWD car.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224

@laurasdada said:
    All this talk of tire replacement; wouldn't it be easier just to buy a new car?

Likewise with wheel straightening- just trade it😂

mjfloyd1 said:

@laurasdada said:

Likewise with wheel straightening- just trade it😂

Note its still not safely home and back in the garage. 😀

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Was at the Mazda dealer, this afternoon. It's the same dealer where my daughter-in-law purchased, last December. At that time, they had 6 new units, in stock, across all models. Today, I counted 25 that I could see in the front parking lot.

Hopefully, that means that inventory is normalizing.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited December 2022

I found a GPS tracker under the seat of my cargo van. I’m pretty sure that at one time it was owned by a utility company so that would make sense. I’m assuming it’s now inactive or else some supervisor is wondering why his crew has been goofing off in my driveway for the last 7 years.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    stickguy said:

What model is that? I’m missing any context.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I’d assume all of those things are selling your location data to undesirables until proven otherwise.

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190

I've got 50 months and 63k on the tires on my RDX, I think 5/32 on the tread at last service? Don't think the thought hasn't crossed my mind!

But if I hold out another year or so, the 2020 model RX350 comes into my wheelhouse.

If I was to make a move now, the main contenders would be:

2021 Outback XT
    2020 RDX
    2018-19 RX 350
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
    ab348 said:

stickguy said:

trying to sell everything as a customer order, instead of just making stuff and sending it to the dealer. Works fine when you can walk in and get anything made within a week or 2. Not so much when they can't even make enough to fill the early orders.

edited December 2022
    @stickguy - have you read about the front fender insulator debacle on the Maverick forums? I'm inclined to add those (which appear to be standard on the Lariat and XLT/Lariat hybrids) given that they appear to cost about $80 for the pair, and possibly do some sort of generic Dynamat treatment on the rear wall of the cab.

The automatic park selection on the transmission also doesn't seem to work very well with the physical key. On mine, if you're in gear, you first turn the key to accessory mode, then the transmission shifts to park, and then a second later, it allows you to turn the key completely off and remove it. I suppose it has to be designed that way to prevent someone from removing the key while driving down the highway, but most cars with push button start and similar monostable shifters seem to handle it way better.

I finally got the check from the dealer to reimburse me for the sales tax I will have to pay when I register it (which I planned to do this Thursday, regardless). I'm still keeping the temp tag on until it expires because I won't get charged tolls so long as there's no permanent plate! :Do:)
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097

fintail said:

tifighter said:

Enterprise, National and Alamo are all the same company.
    Yep. I assume National would get the best material, but maybe not.
    stickguy said:

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

trying to sell everything as a customer order, instead of just making stuff and sending it to the dealer. Works fine when you can walk in and get anything made within a week or 2. Not so much when they can't even make enough to fill the early orders.
    Of course they would like that model as you probably have to pay sticker. I don’t know about dealers though as they want the deal done TODAY. They don’t want to wait weeks or months.

stickguy said:

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

Of course they would like that model as you probably have to pay sticker. I don’t know about dealers though as they want the deal done TODAY. They don’t want to wait weeks or months.
    Ford does not care what you pay. That is the dealer's problem. The only thing I can think of in it for them, is they can get away with fewer incentives? and don't have to hassle with the dealers as much.

too bad they did not figure out a good process to do it, before rolling the concept out.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    corvette said:

@stickguy - have you read about the front fender insulator debacle on the Maverick forums? I'm inclined to add those (which appear to be standard on the Lariat and XLT/Lariat hybrids) given that they appear to cost about $80 for the pair, and possibly do some sort of generic Dynamat treatment on the rear wall of the cab.

The automatic park selection on the transmission also doesn't seem to work very well with the physical key. On mine, if you're in gear, you first turn the key to accessory mode, then the transmission shifts to park, and then a second later, it allows you to turn the key completely off and remove it. I suppose it has to be designed that way to prevent someone from removing the key while driving down the highway, but most cars with push button start and similar monostable shifters seem to handle it way better.

I finally got the check from the dealer to reimburse me for the sales tax I will have to pay when I register it (which I planned to do this Thursday, regardless). I'm still keeping the temp tag on until it expires because I won't get charged tolls so long as there's no permanent plate! :Do:)

———————————————
    You’ve gotta find a way to keep that plate on your car. Cheating thieving states out of ridiculously priced tolls has to rank a close second to cheating on your 1040. :)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)