Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    corvette said:

@stickguy - have you read about the front fender insulator debacle on the Maverick forums? I'm inclined to add those (which appear to be standard on the Lariat and XLT/Lariat hybrids) given that they appear to cost about $80 for the pair, and possibly do some sort of generic Dynamat treatment on the rear wall of the cab.

The automatic park selection on the transmission also doesn't seem to work very well with the physical key. On mine, if you're in gear, you first turn the key to accessory mode, then the transmission shifts to park, and then a second later, it allows you to turn the key completely off and remove it. I suppose it has to be designed that way to prevent someone from removing the key while driving down the highway, but most cars with push button start and similar monostable shifters seem to handle it way better.

I finally got the check from the dealer to reimburse me for the sales tax I will have to pay when I register it (which I planned to do this Thursday, regardless). I'm still keeping the temp tag on until it expires because I won't get charged tolls so long as there's no permanent plate! :Do:)

Can't say I really saw much about fender liners. I know I have them! But a lot of issues don't seem to apply to the Lariat. The Rotary dial works perfectly with the push button.

originally I was ordering an XLT but after talking with the wife, we both agreed I would hate having a physical key again. that was a big reason I switched to lariat. Though she wanted the "leather" (wink wink) seats too.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

stickguy said:

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

Ford picked a bad time to move to that model.

What model is that? I’m missing any context.
    trying to sell everything as a customer order, instead of just making stuff and sending it to the dealer. Works fine when you can walk in and get anything made within a week or 2. Not so much when they can't even make enough to fill the early orders.
    Of course they would like that model as you probably have to pay sticker. I don’t know about dealers though as they want the deal done TODAY. They don’t want to wait weeks or months.
    Famous quote from car salesman: "What would it take to get you into this car today?"

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that line, I could afford to buy a new car even at today's inflated prices.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856

@stickguy said:
    Can't say I really saw much about fender liners. I know I have them! But a lot of issues don't seem to apply to the Lariat. The Rotary dial works perfectly with the push button.

originally I was ordering an XLT but after talking with the wife, we both agreed I would hate having a physical key again. that was a big reason I switched to lariat. Though she wanted the "leather" (wink wink) seats too.

My Mom’s Murano is vinyl. She thinks it is leather … so I’m not telling her.

Salesman when we bought it of course said it was leather.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,938

@tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

That surprises me. For some reason I thought Muranos had leather as standard. Now I know..

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    fintail said:

Yep. I assume National would get the best material, but maybe not.

I rented the Audi from Enterprise. At the PHX location, they seem to have a broader assortment, including the exotics desk with the high-end stuff. If I thought my wife's bags would fit in a '911 or equivalent'...but it's Enterprise, so that probably would have meant a Boxster.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,238
    I'm betting it would be difficult for them to find me. The temp plate is mounted inside the tinted rear window, so difficult for a camera to read, and this is the second temp plate I've had--first one was good for 14 days, second one was mailed with the Iowa title. I'll mount my EZ-pass once I put the permanent plate on.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    did y'all ever try to look up reviews of C&B and BaT? Wow. Lots of unhappy customers out there.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I’ve seen a few YouTubers doing recaps of their experiences, and the issues they had.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,565
    tifighter said:

fintail said:

I rented the Audi from Enterprise. At the PHX location, they seem to have a broader assortment, including the exotics desk with the high-end stuff. If I thought my wife's bags would fit in a '911 or equivalent'...but it's Enterprise, so that probably would have meant a Boxster.
    I was driving around in a Panamera a few weeks ago so they have a selection.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

qbrozen said:

did y'all ever try to look up reviews of C&B and BaT? Wow. Lots of unhappy customers out there.

What were the issues? Too many flakes? It seems there should be more punishment for not following through than loss of deposit. Like maybe a 10% fine or more.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

qbrozen said:

What were the issues? Too many flakes? It seems there should be more punishment for not following through than loss of deposit. Like maybe a 10% fine or more.
    This is hard. What if, after the auction closes, it turns out the buyer says the seller misrepresented something? The 10% fine can't just be automatic. And who decides who is right? BaT and C&B probably don't want to get into the judgement business for he said/she saids. Understandably.

Regarding reviews, I've done two BaT-related transactions now. Platform aside, it still comes down to two people actually agreeing on what will happen at the end of the day. Especially with first time buyers and sellers to the platform, who are reluctant to wire money without a title, or vice-versa. When I bought the Montero, the seller had sold on BaT before and was comfortable with the more distant realities of the transaction. With the M2, the first time seller was incredibly paralyzed with fear that every piece of information shared would be used to scam him somehow. If he hadn't been relatively local, I'm not sure the deal would have ultimately happened. And, inevitably, BaT would have received some of the blame for it. How would BaT have prequalified that? Flakes are flakes, on craigslist, at dealerships, with private sales, etc. And it's a shame a flake won Q's auction. Maybe a reputation system would help, with extra hoops for first timers to jump through, IDK.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,268
    BaT is just a tech platform, like eBay. They aren't really there to adjudicate or punish. Just to get their cut, and hopefully, everything works out.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

They could work it like the in-person car auctions. You have to deposit the funds before bidding. And I don’t agree with the “misrepresentation” complaint. You are supposed to do your due diligence before bidding.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Absolutely, do your due diligence before to make sure there really is no confusion. But it's like that in any platform where one meets up with a complete stranger to purchase an item, no matter it being a vehicle or a computer part, or even a cell phone for that matter. Have done it with an older iPhone a few years ago. Met them at the local police station and that was that. Was a slight glitch getting onto the phone but once my daughter walked the guy through putting one's info in, all was good. But did get a bit weird there for a moment as he insisted the phone didn't work & wanted to undo the deal.
    Glad all our ducks were in a row as one never wants to undo a deal after it's been completed so one needs to be 100% sure they are comfortable moving forward and if not, don't waste anybody's time. Have used the OfferUp app a few times now to buy/sell some local items & have basically had good experiences. The one time I got sold an iPhone 11 case but had the iPhone 12, the seller met me again to give me the correct fitting case. It's an app I'd have no issue using again.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

qbrozen said:

They could work it like the in-person car auctions. You have to deposit the funds before bidding. And I don’t agree with the “misrepresentation” complaint. You are supposed to do your due diligence before bidding.

BTW, any hits from CL or FB?

Wasn't feeling too well this morning, so called out. Glad I did as a bit of the vertigo has seemed to return. Woke up about 3:20 this morning & almost passed out again as the room was spinning. Glad I had my cane as it helped me not fall. Got up at 6 am & wasn't feeling much better so called out. Luckily, my boss understands as he's also caring for his disabled dad, and he never gives me a hassle when I do call out. Took my meds and slept till about noon and just glad I did stay home. N/S tomorrow so will have another day to just relax & luckily, we have plenty of food in the house so I don't have to drive until tomorrow afternoon.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

nothing from CL. Had 2 people reach out on FB to say "hey, didn't this sell on C&B?" One was just being nosy, apparently, while the other seemed genuinely interested. We messaged back and forth a bit and he said he was going to try to come Sunday. Then Sunday said he couldn't make it (at least he let me know). I messaged that person again last night to say "hey, are you serious? because I may list with BaT if not." No response.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698

When I move on from the ZHP I had planned on going through BaT since they seem to have a good audience for them, and this one went through the site a few years back.

But I’ve kept in touch with the guy who bought my wife’s E91 wagon years ago and he is very interested in the ZHP. So that could make for an easy transaction without the auction hassle.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Speaking of that, I did have that conversation with the kids last month about that subject no one wants to talk about...death. I came very close to it back in May of 2018 but luckily, G-d wasn't quite ready for me to come on up. Ever since then, the subject of death has been on my mind. As I've probably mentioned before, I got with the Neptune Society & took care of those final need issues so the kids won't have to do much when that time does come. I took my oldest to the bank with me as she'll be the executor of it all & needed her name on all the ban accounts as a co-owner. She now is on those accounts and able to write checks/use all the funds in them. When I was in the hospital back in 2018, missed the payment deadline for the one credit card I do use so now, that'll never happen again as my oldest can sign/write/deposit checks for me in case I'm not able. And when I am gone, she'll just need to give the other two kids their third of my estate. Also have set aside in my papers a list of all my credit cards and their numbers & phone numbers so she'll be able to pay them & then cancel them all. Hopefully, I'll cancel a bunch of them sooner than later as I really do have too many right now.
    I know this is a tough subject for families to have. We had never had it when my dad passed & I remember it was a tough subject to talk with my mom about, but that's another story. My wife also doesn't want to talk about it which I don't agree with. Guess that's why I did have it with each child already just so we're all on the same page. The younger two were quite happy that their older sister will be in charge which is great since I don't want any bad blood to get in the way like it did when m mom passed. My siblings were really horrible & we needed to use lawyers to settle things. I don't want to see this happen & now, am sure things will go smoothly!
    For some reason, for which I don't understand, the subject of death and what comes after is a very touchy subject in many families. And, it really shouldn't be avoided. In my case, i just wanted my wishes to be known up front with no surprises when I'm gone. Trust me, there's nothing worse then being told in a document how you are being left out of getting any of the assets with no explanation as to why. In my case, it was "for reasons that are already known" which wasn't quite accurate. This won't be able to happen with my kids as they already know how things are going to be done!

We (my sister and I) made my folks sit down and document everything on what we called “the magic spreadsheet”. Took a lot of them digging in files random places to find it all, but would have been 10x worse doing it without them. Included family and friend, plus other important people, contact info. A year later when my mom passed, it made it vastly easier to take care of everything. Someday when my father goes, will be using it again.

Make sure to include access codes for computer, cell phone, and PW for email. Makes it a lot easier to do stuff quickly.

OH, this is interesting. I asked if (1) they'd be splitting both bidders deposits with me and (2) if I agreed to relist, would they allow me a reserve. Here is the reply:

We would be unable to offer a relist on the vehicle. We typically discourage relists because we've found they never seem to perform well. No matter how much we stress that the deal fell through as the result of a bad buyer and not the car or the seller, bidders remain skeptical and it's reflected in their bids.

Additionally, in the few instances we have done relists, we've had to make sellers wait upwards of one month based on our current scheduling commitments and in the end they expended a lot more time and effort only to achieve a disappointing result.

We will split the fee from the original buyer.

So I get $191 and they get $569. WTH?

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    edited December 2022
    I love the sunset orange on this M240i combined with the shadowline trim.

But whoever ordered the red leather interior with that exterior should be banned from custom orders.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/150c6e5b-11a4-4eac-9abb-c0c7111c6a5f/

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,360
    edited December 2022
    Move on from them. Roll the dice with BaT at no reserve or set a semi aggressive one.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

With BaT, C&B, and a lot of these other sites, the end goal is not for the owner(s) to run a profitable business for many years, but to look busy enough and important enough to get someone to acquire them outright.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,360
    corvette said:

With BaT, C&B, and a lot of these other sites, the end goal is not for the owner(s) to run a profitable business for many years, but to look busy enough and important enough to get someone to acquire them outright.

Good way to make some serious $$

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

breld said:

But whoever ordered the red leather interior with that exterior should be banned from custom orders.

love the orange. and the red interior. not sure they really go together though. If it had the oyster interior (and a clutch pedal...) it would be just about perfect!

au1994 said:

Move on from them. Roll the dice with BaT at no reserve or set a semi aggressive one.

sent a followup to BaT asking how far out their listings are and if there are any rules preventing me from continuing to market it prior to that time.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,468
    corvette said:

I'm betting it would be difficult for them to find me. The temp plate is mounted inside the tinted rear window, so difficult for a camera to read, and this is the second temp plate I've had--first one was good for 14 days, second one was mailed with the Iowa title. I'll mount my EZ-pass once I put the permanent plate on.

————————————————-
    So, I guess you’re not going to take my suggestion. :#

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    qbrozen said:

nothing from CL. Had 2 people reach out on FB to say "hey, didn't this sell on C&B?" One was just being nosy, apparently, while the other seemed genuinely interested. We messaged back and forth a bit and he said he was going to try to come Sunday. Then Sunday said he couldn't make it (at least he let me know). I messaged that person again last night to say "hey, are you serious? because I may list with BaT if not." No response.
    You’ve got more flakes than a box of Wheaties.

breld said:

I have to agree, horrible combination. I have no sense of style so when I think it’s bad it must be really bad.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,763
    qbrozen said:

au1994 said:

sent a followup to BaT asking how far out their listings are and if there are any rules preventing me from continuing to market it prior to that time.
    I think your hesitation on the no reserve in December is well-placed. At this point, it is a balancing act of risk! The longer you wait, the less winter it is, but also the more the auto market may cool....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Maybe wait until tax refund season? Is that even a thing for cars in that niche market?
    @breld - the only thing keeping me from completely hating that M240i is the window tint, it kind of prevents you from seeing the clashing colors at the same time.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,763
    Very good points you raise, Sandy. My grandmother had nearly all her ducks lined up when she passed, and it really did make the whole process quite simple for us to execute. There was very little guessing about liabilities out there or passwords or any of that stuff.

My grandparents also had their estate in a trust, which (mostly) made the process so much better than it would have been if the will was the primary controlling document (or, shudder to think, if there was neither and it all had to go through probate).

Those events certainly make one think about their own preparations (or lack thereof) for such an eventuality!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    @xwesx - some say that "life insurance" was originally marketed as "death insurance" but got rebranded to improve its perception (citation needed). I've had a close relative as well as a person in a civic organization I was involved in pass away without even a simple will and had to help clean up the ensuing mess... If I had actually known they didn't have a will, I'd have written them one for free! :#
    having a will is definitely important, but just because you have a will does not mean your assets don't go through probate. It just makes it a cleaner process.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,336

@breld said:
    When I move on from the ZHP I had planned on going through BaT since they seem to have a good audience for them, and this one went through the site a few years back.

But I’ve kept in touch with the guy who bought my wife’s E91 wagon years ago and he is very interested in the ZHP. So that could make for an easy transaction without the auction hassle.

This is the way, speaking from personal experience. ;)

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,099
    tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

Reminds me of the endless Tex-equipped MBs advertised as having "leather".
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,099
    tifighter said:

fintail said:

Oh yeah the airport located "exotics", forgot about that program.

Equivalent may also be a base zero option Macan.
    edited December 2022

breld said:

I have to agree, horrible combination. I have no sense of style so when I think it’s bad it must be really bad.
    ————————————————-
    That reminds me of when Son #1 got his license and decided it was time that he should be allowed to go to the mall himself and pick out his own clothes. His mother was not convinced he knew how to coordinate clothes on his own and told him to just look at how the stores had their manikins dressed and buy his clothes like that.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,156
    Could be the owner of that 240 is color blind.

Seriously.

Red and green look grey to them, I’m told.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

Could be the owner of that 240 is color blind.

Seriously.

Red and green look grey to them, I’m told.

————————————————-
    I agree but I’ve been told that folks that are color blind usually ask for help/opinions when picking out clothing and especially cars.

If the 240 guy was color blind and ask for an opinion it had to be from an enemy.

jmonroe
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,314
    breld said:

Several people have made standing offers to buy my Club Sport and Wrangler.
    notgonnahappen.com

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,268
    corvette said:

BaT is the leading auction site in the country, on-line or off. They are making plenty of money..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@corvette said:
    Maybe wait until tax refund season? Is that even a thing for cars in that niche market?

I would think so. Not a bad idea.

breld said:

Several people have made standing offers to buy my Club Sport and Wrangler.
    notgonnahappen.com
    ————————————————-
    Just for your info, that web site doesn’t work. :o

jmonroe
    Car is now listed on ebay, too. Not an auction, just an ad.

I've also offered up the Pajero to the driver who brought it here and said he wanted it. Gave him the "quick sale, as is" price. No response yet. Gotta go pick up my son's car tomorrow (if I'm up to it), so need to make some room around here.