Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    what year and model is it? we can just google it!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

should have gone all the way with the town car, and stuck the 6 speed manual in it.

I have never heard of this before, but I absolutely love it.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/r4o4JXBL/1994-ford-fiesta-xr2i

and looks like Hoovie must need to raise some cash. This is a pretty cool car, but I think my wife would hate it. especially after finding out how much it cost.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rbPPLMny/2021-beck-spyder

now this thing is wild. QB should find one! Wonder what the wife would say if I cashed in the Maverick, and replaced it with this thing?

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3yGLvYMR/1994-toyota-liteace

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027

Not anywhere I shop. Maybe Aldi’s. We have stupid plastic bag ban here in NY and I guess you have to pay a nickel for paper. I saved a few case of plastic bags from my farmer’s market days so I don’t have to play that game. I’m old enough to remember paper bags being banned to save the trees.

I guess the trees need a better lobbyist.

Just look at this to see what we have to put up with these days in Canuckistan:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/climate-and-environment/phase-1-of-canada-s-single-use-plastics-ban-comes-into-effect-this-month-these-are-the-products-on-the-list-1.6189050

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Many of the take-out containers I've seen lately are marked "dishwasher safe," I wonder whether that makes them exempt from some of the bans, since they're theoretically no longer "single use."

Encouraging MPG result in the Maverick. Started and ended at my house and went to a wildlife refuge and back. Mostly interstate driving up to 80-ish, and some driving on two lane highways at lower speeds. The powertrain continues to impress.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,463

@stickguy said:

and looks like Hoovie must need to raise some cash. This is a pretty cool car, but I think my wife would hate it. especially after finding out how much it cost.

now this thing is wild. QB should find one! Wonder what the wife would say if I cashed in the Maverick, and replaced it with this thing?

————————————————-
    That should work. No more climbing into the bed to get your cargo.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    stickguy said:

what year and model is it? we can just google it!

p2804 of this discussion, about 6 or 7 posts up from the bottom. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

————————————————-
    Yeah but you have free health care. So there’s that. :/

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    I have had runs that long that calculated as much as 33 on the TC. It really is impressive for the size and configuration of it.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    @corvette, On ice, stability control is going to be of limited use, even less so on less than optimal tires.
    Panthers were designed to withstand rea end collisions up to 75 mph.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851

I’ve owned three Panthers and driven at least 15 different ones either of family members or as rentals.

I’ve never felt unsafe in one at all. They had all speed traction control on most models since the 90s that helped in slippery conditions

I was rear ended in my 04 during a heavy rain storm by an F350 towing a trailer. I was slowing down and he plowed into me while I was still moving. The car stayed straight with only minimal damage. The truck had more damage than I did.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    Michaell said:

breld said:

I finally got what people were talking about through the context. So, it has become customary to pay a quarter (or more) to use a cart at a grocery store?

That hasn’t made its way to Colorado yet, as far as I know. And we don’t pay the nickel or whatever for bags yet either.

True, but I just read where all eggs in Colorado must be from cage free chickens, starting 1/1/23. Will likely bump up those prices.

And, the cost for natural gas just doubled in December. Everybody is complaining about their utility bills this month.
    When we took one of the boys up to Fort Collins for school, we had gone to Target for supplies for his dorm room. The clerk asked if we wanted bags and I said of course we do. She proceeded to pack them pretty full. After checking the receipt, they had charged us .10 per paper bag, apparently they have a city ordinance banning plastic bags!
    edited December 2022

Ok I’ll attempt some freeze frames of the video. Exterior is darned near perfect, like the Nissan. Anything noticeable in pics is just dirt and dust. One broken foglight lens is all we could find. The missing trunk badge was found inside the car in good nick. The big question was the seats that had nasty covers on them. What we found underneath is so much better than expected. Perfect condition sport seats in a blue camo. Pretty cool.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I fell in love with this while I was there. Wish I knew more about it. Obviously modded. Had recaro-like seats, stick shift, and other goodies you can see in pics.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

But the best part is that all these people can vote.

Explains quite a bit.

Who was it that said: "it doesn't matter who casts the votes, but who counts them."

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@qbrozen - I love that Astra! It looks excellent, especially considering its age.

corvette said:

@qbrozen - I love that Astra! It looks excellent, especially considering its age.

If it had a stick, I'd find my son something else and keep it for myself. haha. Even with an auto, it is really nice. I'm a little jealous that my kid has a far nicer car than my 17-yr-old self could have ever hoped for.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    corvette said:

+1 - nice car!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I bet it’s going to be the only Opel in the HS parking lot!

Like the truck. What make/model was that?

stickguy said:

I bet it’s going to be the only Opel in the HS parking lot!

Like the truck. What make/model was that?

I can only say a Land Rover 110. Did they make a 4-door pickup version? I have no idea. I'd imagine they did somewhere. Could be it was modded from an SUV, though.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851

Love it Q!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,221

Should be able to push those cows out of your way😂

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    What is this for, again?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    tifighter said:

What is this for, again?

One doesn't need a reason... :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

going to make touch parking at the mall a lot more interesting.

and just going to guess, that is not going to help MPG or handling any.

It is like carrying one more shell in a tank. Ain't even gonna feel the difference.

I also put on new horns. After a Beetle came within a couple of inches of my fender while towing my son's car home, and I could only "meep" at him, that mod quickly moved to the top of my list. New is not an air horn, but I'd equate it to an '80s Chevy 1500 van horn sound. Enough to mean business.

Sidesteps, 1000w inverter, and 2 overhead TVs are sitting in the garage. Trying to do a little at a time when I can. The grille guard happened today only because they delivered it this afternoon and I had no place to store it.

@qbrozen said:
    Ok I’ll attempt some freeze frames of the video. Exterior is darned near perfect, like the Nissan. Anything noticeable in pics is just dirt and dust. One broken foglight lens is all we could find. The missing trunk badge was found inside the car in good nick. The big question was the seats that had nasty covers on them. What we found underneath is so much better than expected. Perfect condition sport seats in a blue camo. Pretty cool.

————————————————
    Eeeu, it’s green is your son color blind? :'(

jmonroe

@qbrozen said:
    not everybody is ready for old-man gray.

———————————————
    I guess I asked for that. :(

jmonroe

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    qbrozen said:

“Nope, I didn’t feel nuthin. Keep drivin.”

I like it. Needs some lights on it.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    We need better pics of that Opel please. In 1977, I got one of the first 1976 Japanese Opel's, a blue 2-door coupe and it was probably one of the worst vehicles on the planet, bar none! Got it as a used vehicle with 7K on it and from day 1, the a/c kept blowing up & it continued till I sold it. the auto tranny fell out on the on-ramp at Palm Beach Lakes Blvd. on my first day of training for the postal service. On my way home, the tranny pieces literally fell out of the car and I had to pull over! My dad lent me the money to get it fixed, this was on December 27, 1980. In January, one axle broke, fixed that, and then another one went a few weeks later.
    By February 1st, traded that piece of garbage for an ex-rental, a 1979 Datsun B-210 hatchback and never looked back! I know that Opel would've been a money pit so I cut my loses sooner than later. Looking back, probably should've kept my grandpa's 1967 Olds Cutlass Supreme 4-door for another year and saved some more money. But I wanted something newer, and smaller, being 21 and all.
    So, please send some better pics as I'm very curious to see how the Opel line progressed once the Japanese took over the brand.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Japanese? Opel is a German brand that was owned by GM since the 1930s. Did you have one of those weird Isuzu ones? I guess you might consider that Japanese GM with German badging.

This car is strictly Opel/Vauxhall, which is giving us a bit of a problem in the parts area. Not that we haven’t found them, but it is taking more research. We’ve been resorting to getting numbers off the OEM pieces and cross-referencing. But even that is not foolproof. For example, someone put those awful dual-electrode NGKs in it. We could not find a published OEM replacement on this side of the pond. I wound up looking around my garage and found a few unused sets, one of which matched up in size to what we needed. They worked. Looking for wires has been futile, but they aren’t terribly special. They look like many others out there, particularly older Miatas and Camrys. So we’ll pull one and poke around at the store to see if we can match it up. Probably do the same for the air filter. We did locate an oil filter on amazon, but it will take a month to arrive. I’ll wait for that one and go match that up at the store so we know for future use.

1976 was the first year of the wonderful Opel by Isuzu. I had a 1975 Opel Manta, last year of the German version in the US. Now that was a mistake!

for your parts, is there any kind of Astra forum to join for advice? odds are like you are finding, there are alternative parts from US models to use, just not easy to figure out the swap.

I saw some videos from the Car Wizard where they put some Kia Ria parts (fuel pump) into an older Ferrari. worked like a charm, at about 1/100th the price! Plus many cheap Ford parts swap onto a Range Rover or Jag.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    Does CDX mean it's a diesel?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited December 2022

Does CDX mean it's a diesel?

No. CDX is a trim. It is just a peppy little 115hp/125ft-lb petrol 2.0 w/ motronic MFI.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    stickguy said:

I seem to recall seeing a Ford like that being done on Wheeler Dealers but I could be wrong.

I’m surprised that Hoovie sold that Beck. It seemed like it was in the works for a long time.

That Toyota could be a nice mulch hauler for your new house.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

ab348 said:

Not anywhere I shop. Maybe Aldi’s. We have stupid plastic bag ban here in NY and I guess you have to pay a nickel for paper. I saved a few case of plastic bags from my farmer’s market days so I don’t have to play that game. I’m old enough to remember paper bags being banned to save the trees.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/climate-and-environment/phase-1-of-canada-s-single-use-plastics-ban-comes-into-effect-this-month-these-are-the-products-on-the-list-1.6189050

I notice that absent from that list are covid face masks. I read an article that claimed that the masks are in whole or part made with plastic and are discarded willy-nilly into the environment where they break down into micro plastics.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

ab348 said:

I notice that absent from that list are covid face masks. I read an article that claimed that the masks are in whole or part made with plastic and are discarded willy-nilly into the environment where they break down into micro plastics.
    Who wants medical waste recycled? :#

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

My favorite part is that retailers can sell packages of flexible drinking straws for use by the disabled, but they have to keep them behind the counter and are not allowed to display them. Cripes!

Ram recalls 1.4 million pickups globally over tailgate issue:

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/chrysler-parent-stellantis-recalls-14-million-pickup-trucks-over-tailgate-issue-2022-12-13/

At least they aren't actually falling off... :o

kyfdx said:

ab348 said:

So it’s better to let it flow into the ocean?

kyfdx said:

ab348 said:

So it’s better to let it flow into the ocean?
    You don't have landfills in NY?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited December 2022
    I'm surprised Hoovie sold the Beck, since he had it custom built, that seemed like one that would be part of the permanent collection. It also looks like he took a bath--the 2021 pricing I found said a rolling chassis (which I think is what he got) is $44,715, which would not have included the Subaru engine nor paying the Car Wizard to install it.
    he did get content out of it. He hasn't done a video on selling it yet (usually he sells a few at a time) but I am sure he will eventually.

might be cheap for what they cost, but still seems like a lot for what it is (just a toy that will rarely get used). Probably a lot of fun though, for the really wealthy crowd!

sounds like he missed selling high on a bunch of stuff, with collector car prices taking a beating (I have heard Ferraris especially). Wonder if his Lamborghinis are down a lot too?

not that we likely would need to run a go fund me for him, if he decided to take the entire collection to the auction and cash it all out.