Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Flat tire in Honda CRV Touring

good_boy_1234good_boy_1234 Member Posts: 81
edited December 2022 in Honda
Just discovered flat tire after I parked and heard leakage. I called Honda road assistance since I am still within the lease coverage and they sent a technician with AAA. The leak comes from the side of the car so he said he can't plug it and I need a new tire.
1) Does Honda or Geico insurance cover the tire replacement?
2) What are the cheapest and good places to get new tires from? From a quick search, seems the dimensions : 235-55-19 but not sure which brands are good or bad
3) How much does it cost including the cost of installation?
4) Does getting replacement tire from places other than Honda would affect my lease?

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    1) There likely isn't any coverage for road damage to a tire, unless you bought some kind of package from the dealer, when leasing.
    2) I really like Discount Tire, if you have one in your area. How many miles are on your other tires? If replacing one tire, you definitely need to match the brand/model already on the car, or you'll get dinged on lease end return.
    3) Look at Tirerack.com or Discount Tire for pricing
    4) You can buy the tire anywhere you want. See my previous comment about matching your other tires.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Honda CRV, AWD (All Wheel Drive) I presume?

Today's AWD systems are very sensitive to tire size both from an operational perspective as well as a long-term durability. How many miles are on the car, and how deep does the tire tread measure? Replacing a tire that matches the originals by manufacturer and size isn't enough, you have to be sure that the circumference of the tires are within a quarter of an inch of each other. Some manufacturers want that even closer; Subaru's specification is one eighth of an inch, maximum. We have a routine where we mark all four tires at six o'clock, and then roll straight ahead for about one hundred feet, stopping with the LF wheel mark at the six o'clock position. (approximately eight revolutions) Now measure where the other tires are. Any that are more than one inch off need to be addressed. A brand-new tire will have a greater circumference and would turn fewer times compared to the rest.

This leads to two choices, either always replace tires as matched sets of four, OR you need to have a replacement tire shaved to match the circumference of the rest of the original tires. Mismatched tire sizes can and might void driveline warranty in the event any damage or noise or vibration from the driveline occurs.
  • good_boy_1234good_boy_1234 Member Posts: 81
    kyfdx said:

1) There likely isn't any coverage for road damage to a tire, unless you bought some kind of package from the dealer, when leasing.
    2) I really like Discount Tire, if you have one in your area. How many miles are on your other tires? If replacing one tire, you definitely need to match the brand/model already on the car, or you'll get dinged on lease end return.
    3) Look at Tirerack.com or Discount Tire for pricing
    4) You can buy the tire anywhere you want. See my previous comment about matching your other tires.

Less than 20K miles. Yes I will have tons of miles equity.
    I have both discount tire and Mr P near by

Honda CRV, AWD (All Wheel Drive) I presume?

Today's AWD systems are very sensitive to tire size both from an operational perspective as well as a long-term durability. How many miles are on the car, and how deep does the tire tread measure? Replacing a tire that matches the originals by manufacturer and size isn't enough, you have to be sure that the circumference of the tires are within a quarter of an inch of each other. Some manufacturers want that even closer; Subaru's specification is one eighth of an inch, maximum. We have a routine where we mark all four tires at six o'clock, and then roll straight ahead for about one hundred feet, stopping with the LF wheel mark at the six o'clock position. (approximately eight revolutions) Now measure where the other tires are. Any that are more than one inch off need to be addressed. A brand-new tire will have a greater circumference and would turn fewer times compared to the rest.

This leads to two choices, either always replace tires as matched sets of four, OR you need to have a replacement tire shaved to match the circumference of the rest of the original tires. Mismatched tire sizes can and might void driveline warranty in the event any damage or noise or vibration from the driveline occurs.

Yes, touring all wheel drive. Now it gets more complicated. Aren't tires shops supposed to match the replacement tire with the other 3 tires?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    @good_boy_1234

Forget what AAA told you. Go to Discount Tire and have them inspect your tire, to see if it can be repaired. If they can, that will definitely be the cheapest way to go. If they can't, then...

If you are able to just purchase a single tire, then it's up to you to insist on the same brand/model/size.
    If Discount Tire has availability of that tire, then ask them to measure, to see if it needs to be shaved to match circumference (as @thecardoc3 stated).

If neither of the above is possible, then you'll need a new set of tires.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@kyfdx said:
    @good_boy_1234

Forget what AAA told you. Go to Discount Tire and have them inspect your tire, to see if it can be repaired. If they can, that will definitely be the cheapest way to go. If they can't, then...

If you are able to just purchase a single tire, then it's up to you to insist on the same brand/model/size.
    If Discount Tire has availability of that tire, then ask them to measure, to see if it needs to be shaved to match circumference (as @thecardoc3 stated).

If neither of the above is possible, then you'll need a new set of tires.

Thank you. I ended up going to a honda dealer to get the continental tire brand that comes with Honda. Was still cheaper than discount tire and 15 minutes closer! Thanks everyone who helped