Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,342

I have to say that I have never had a problem with Best Buy. The closest thing to a glitch that I’ve experienced is a long wait for delivery on a recumbent bike and in that case I don’t believe it was the fault of Best Buy.
    On a similar note, I once asked for a price match on a Sony BD player at Target and the lady at the service desk said “We price match Amazon but not Amazon Prime.” WTH?
    So I decided to drive over to Best Buy to buy the BDP and another Target was located next door. Just for giggles I stopped and went to that store’s service desk. I asked about price matching and the lady said, “Sure! What is Amazon’s price?” I told her and she matched it without even asking for any further information. Crazy.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

“ I like to carry a few $2 bills to use for tips. When asked, I say they're considered to be lucky.”

I used to give $2 bills to nieces and nephews for gifts but over time that became not much of a gift. Now it’s $100s.

If you want a laugh give a $2 bill to the kid at the drive-thru and watch the confusion.

A few years back, I got a roll of $1 coins at the bank. They actually had to order them for me, they had none on hand. Much to my dismay, I found that merchants would not accept the $1 coins, they looked at me like I was trying to pass a $3 bill.

That roll of coins is still around here somewhere, I need to dig them up and take them back to the bank.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    mjfloyd1 said:

@nyccarguy said:

I don’t know what the color is, but this Taycan 4 Sport Turismo I saw this AM was drop dead gorgeous! Wow!

?neptune blue?

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/details/porsche-taycan-turbo-new-M9ZVWM

Gentian blue is most common in Taycan.

There a a lot of great looking Porsche blues

https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/a278854/definitive-ranking-blue-porsche-911/

Good eye. Looks like Neptune Blue is the winner.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

kyfdx said:

henryn said:

I've never owned an iPad, never owned any Apple product, there's a long story behind that which I have told before and won't repeat. I have owned a couple of tablets, and never really got into using them. Give me a real computer, thank you.

I do have a Kindle for reading ebooks, and I like that.

I have an iPad Mini, and use the Kindle app to read. If you're a person that likes to scroll Twitter, etc, having the Mini is much easier on the eyes and fingers. The Kindle app is good, but of course, not as good as an actual Kindle.
    I resisted ebooks for many years, but when I was laid up for a long period back in 2020, I finally got into them. The kindle is actually easier to use than a book, it's lighter than a hardcover, and no heavier than a medium sized paperback. And the lighting makes it much easier to read when you are laid up in bed, as I was.

I had one of those Amazon tablets which I initially tried to use for reading ebooks, but I found it to be too heavy to hold comfortably for long periods.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    I usually am reading a book on my Kindle and paper book concurrently.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I have a Kindle but I recently picked up an Amazon Fire so I can download magazines as well as do some light web surfing. And I also read paper books- currently Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

None of BMWs new EVs are even remotely attractive. The i8 was handsome, but it was a PHEV.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    The user experience on the Kindle Paperwhite (as well the higher end ones, I'm sure, although I've never used those) is wonderful, down to the textured screen that feels like paper. I don't think my mom's Paperwhite has been manually rebooted in years, and she recently complained about rapid battery drain. I talked her through rebooting it, and it's been fine ever since. The ability to carry multiple books in less than the space of one, as well as the convenience of being able to borrow without visiting a library, are wonderful. And I say all those things as someone who doesn't read nearly enough books.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,536

@roadburner said:
    I have to say that I have never had a problem with Best Buy. The closest thing to a glitch that I’ve experienced is a long wait for delivery on a recumbent bike and in that case I don’t believe it was the fault of Best Buy.
    On a similar note, I once asked for a price match on a Sony BD player at Target and the lady at the service desk said “We price match Amazon but not Amazon Prime.” WTH?
    So I decided to drive over to Best Buy to buy the BDP and another Target was located next door. Just for giggles I stopped and went to that store’s service desk. I asked about price matching and the lady said, “Sure! What is Amazon’s price?” I told her and she matched it without even asking for any further information. Crazy.

————————————————
    You’re right, getting a Sony Blu-ray player for 35 bucks is crazy.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

I wonder if this is for real? And if the deal is for real, do they actually have any trucks?

I may have to go check this out, this sounds almost like the good old days are back.

Well, no, we know that isn't true.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586
    @henryn I've noticed increased incentives on the 2022 RAM. Not sure when they dropped in, but it might have been just this week.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896

Pretty sure it is legit. Fun fact Lone Star trim is Texas exclusive and is equivalent to a Big Horn.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586
    tjc78 said:

Pretty sure it is legit. Fun fact Lone Star trim is Texas exclusive and is equivalent to a Big Horn.

They have all the same lease and incentive programs, as well

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@henryn said:
    I wonder if this is for real? And if the deal is for real, do they actually have any trucks?

I may have to go check this out, this sounds almost like the good old days are back.

————————————————
    Yeah, go get. That way we’ll have 2 guys in here with a Ram and they’ll both be a 2022. That will make for some good notes comparisons. Just be sure you lease it like our poster buddy @tjc78 did, because you damn sure don’t want that beast in your garage after the warranty expires. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    My current iPad Air 2 does take the current updates from Apple but it's just a bit slow when going from page to page. Also, it only has 32 gigs and I'm using a good 75% of that now. And since it's probably a 2015 or 2016 model, thought it best to upgrade. And I did feel that they pulled a "bait & switch" on me. Did get the refund in my c c this morning and just did a test. Went to their website, B B's one, and put in for the blue iPad and again, after putting in my trade, got that same $120 discount on the smaller iPad Air 2. Very strange as obviously something isn't right here and since Apple only wants to give me $35 for my unit, know something is wrong here.
    I've been using my iPad a lot more now so just wanted an upgrade, so thought the new iPad would be perfect. Think I will call Best Buy and see what's up with their online ordering figure. Maybe they can figure out what the issue is & correct it. Since this is just something I want, am in no hurry and if I really don't get satisfaction, can just go up to the Apple store & take my $35 for the old unit & be done with it. It's just the principle for me now. If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to admit it but first, show me I am. If not, and I'm doing the input correctly, please give me the $120 off and we can both move on.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,371
    I’ll take a silver or red if you’re buying.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    I always have a bundle of 100 $1 bills either in the backpack I use for work or in the house. come in handy for lottery tickets. Always carry one when we travel as I like to tip the housekeeping staff when we first arrive at the hotel so they know to leave extra towels & shampoos during our stay. Housekeeping staff seem to appreciate the gesture and do make sure to do the little extra I ask for.
    I also at one time had a roll of $1 coinage & again, most places refused to take them which I found odd. Money is money, just is a bit of extra work I guess with the larger coinage. Do have a $20 bill in my wallet just in case he power is out & a credit card won't work. But charging everything is just so much easier plus, have a record of all charges for the month. Another issue is using money and today's kids. If the bill is either ending in a 3 or an 8, I give the three pennies with the rest of the exact change. Even the computer screen they see has the 3 or 8 in the change part but for some reason, they get confused and many times, get the pennies back. Once I explain to what I'm doing , many of them still have no clue what I'm talking about. many just don't know ow to make the correct change! They rely on the computer in front of them & basically, turn their minds off. Guess I come from a generation who can calculate things in my head and give the appropriate change when paying my bill in cash.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited January 2023

For only $35 I’d keep it or attempt selling it on FB marketplace or CL. Has to be worth more than that.

I’ve used Sell My Mac or a similar third party site before and gotten better offers than trading a device in to Apple. For $35, I’d probably just keep the old one to have as a spare.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    kyfdx said:

@henryn I've noticed increased incentives on the 2022 RAM. Not sure when they dropped in, but it might have been just this week.

For whatever reason production of Rams seems to be more than adequate. They are selling scores of them to rental companies.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    A nicely loaded Ram for $39k seems like a bargain these days but hardly cheap.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,916
    sda said:

Isn’t the average transaction price bumping up against $50k?

Seems like a pretty good deal.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,927

@sda said:

39 looks to be bottom of the barrel. Filter for 4x4 and the price jumps pretty dramatically.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Trying to update the Sync on Dad’s Ranger. Round 1: it timed out and went into low power mode even though the battery tender was connected. Downloaded maybe 10% in an hour. Round 2: connected it to the wifi extender which has a stronger signal but is usually slower. Now we wait (again)…

@Michaell said:
    Isn’t the average transaction price bumping up against $50k?

Seems like a pretty good deal.

Mine was 58 and change and is nicely equipped but far from loaded.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,492
    corvette said:

Trying to update the Sync on Dad’s Ranger. Round 1: it timed out and went into low power mode even though the battery tender was connected. Downloaded maybe 10% in an hour. Round 2: connected it to the wifi extender which has a stronger signal but is usually slower. Now we wait (again)…

I gave up trying to update the Maverick. as long as the radio works, I am good to go!

I will just have the dealer do it next time it is there for something.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

OK, just a typical afternoon, answering questions from our members about various lease numbers.

In the LR Defender thread, I get a post asking about the Defender 110X; mentions the MSRP is $97K and the running boards are $11K.

I ask if that is a typo, and am told no, that's how it works.

I hope that the running boards are part of some larger package.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

edited January 2023
    Ranger is now running the current Sync software. I gave up with the battery timeout issues and just let the engine idle while it completed.

Got my dad to solder the capacitor on the Prius combination meter, so that should be ready to go back together.

@stickguy - the Mavericks with Sync seem to be on a different release schedule than those without.
    oh, I know there is a new one out there. and once it found it and went into "download" mode. then just sat there without the counter moving for an extended time and I needed to give up. Have not gotten it to find the update again. wifi on that car is really weird.

@Michaell said:
    OK, just a typical afternoon, answering questions from our members about various lease numbers.

In the LR Defender thread, I get a post asking about the Defender 110X; mentions the MSRP is $97K and the running boards are $11K.

That must include some other useless features.

How’s your job search going?

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,265
    edited January 2023
    Michaell said:

They must be aftermarket gold plated running boards.

Here is a screen shot from the LR defender build your own page

tjc78 said:

@Michaell said:

That must include some other useless features.

How’s your job search going?

Search is progressing. No bites yet, but I'm applying to a lot of jobs in my field.

Trying to work my LinkedIn network - found someone close by who works for a company I've applied to. Hoping to talk with him early next week about his experiences there.

I also have my first call with my outplacement coach on Monday.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

————————————————
    Even if they are, unless Rovers are built better today I’d want the running boards to be better quality than older Rovers and they don’t fall off before it’s paid off.

jmonroe
    @Michaell - good luck with the job search!
    corvette said:

@Michaell - good luck with the job search!

————————————————-
    I don’t think he’ll need any luck but the downside is he might not get a luxo company car with his new job. :'(

jmonroe

@Michaell said:
    Search is progressing. No bites yet, but I'm applying to a lot of jobs in my field.

Trying to work my LinkedIn network - found someone close by who works for a company I've applied to. Hoping to talk with him early next week about his experiences there.

I also have my first call with my outplacement coach on Monday.

Best of luck. I am kinda looking again as well. We just filed Chapter 11. They claim all will be fine, no layoffs, etc but keeping my options open.

edited January 2023
    qbrozen said:

@sda said:

39 looks to be bottom of the barrel. Filter for 4x4 and the price jumps pretty dramatically.

------------------end quoted material-----------------------------

Which makes it a good thing that I don't want 4x4, even if it was included for free.
    jmonroe1 said:

@henryn said:

————————————————

Yeah, go get. That way we’ll have 2 guys in here with a Ram and they’ll both be a 2022. That will make for some good notes comparisons. Just be sure you lease it like our poster buddy @tjc78 did, because you damn sure don’t want that beast in your garage after the warranty expires. :'(

jmonroe

You forget that I'm in Texas. No one in Texas leases a car. (tax reasons)
    henryn said:

jmonroe1 said:

@henryn said:

————————————————

jmonroe

————————————————-
    No, I didn’t know that. How badly do they screw you on a lease?

jmonroe
    jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

jmonroe1 said:

@henryn said:

————————————————

jmonroe

————————————————-

jmonroe

The state of Texas requires full payment of the sales tax up front. That would mean 6.25% of whatever, say $50k for example, that would run you $3,125. If you roll that into the lease, for 36 months, that would be an additional $87 per month. Actually a little more, as you would be paying interest on that along with the rest of the amount financed.

In most states, if you had a $500 lease payment, you would only be paying sales tax on the monthly payment, or about $30. Huge difference? No, but enough to make most leases unattractive by comparison. No one I know has ever leased a car here in Texas. Corporations do, company cars are almost always leased, but individuals don't.
    henryn said:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

jmonroe1 said:

@henryn said:

————————————————

jmonroe

————————————————-

jmonroe
    The state of Texas requires full payment of the sales tax up front. That would mean 6.25% of whatever, say $50k for example, that would run you $3,125. If you roll that into the lease, for 36 months, that would be an additional $87 per month. Actually a little more, as you would be paying interest on that along with the rest of the amount financed.

In most states, if you had a $500 lease payment, you would only be paying sales tax on the monthly payment, or about $30. Huge difference? No, but enough to make most leases unattractive by comparison. No one I know has ever leased a car here in Texas. Corporations do, company cars are almost always leased, but individuals don't.
    ————————————————
    I’ve heard about that kind of taxation. It’s a wonder the new car dealers association lobby or whatever they’re called in Texas haven’t stopped that.

Just curious as to how many other states do this?

jmonroe
    edited January 2023
    jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

jmonroe1 said:

@henryn said:

————————————————

jmonroe

————————————————-

jmonroe

————————————————
    I’ve heard about that kind of taxation. It’s a wonder the new car dealers association lobby or whatever they’re called in Texas haven’t stopped that.

jmonroe

Maryland and Virginia both tax the entire selling price on a lease.

I get a lot of requests for lease numbers from Texas, nonetheless.

Some dealers are able to offer "tax credits", which lowers the tax rate to 1.25% of the selling price, making leasing more palatable.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382

My wife and I work for the same company. She was laid off this week and I lost 50% of my org including my manager, his peers, and all of mine. We’ll be fine, but man, what a blood bath.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

jmonroe1 said:

@henryn said:

————————————————

jmonroe

————————————————-

jmonroe

————————————————

jmonroe
    Maryland and Virginia both tax the entire selling price on a lease.

I get a lot of requests for lease numbers from Texas, nonetheless.

Some dealers are able to offer "tax credits", which lowers the tax rate to 1.25% of the selling price, making leasing more palatable.
    ———————————————
    Thanks for the reply. I was wondering how dealers dealt with that. I guess where there’s a will there’s a way.

jmonroe

My wife and I work for the same company. She was laid off this week and I lost 50% of my org including my manager, his peers, and all of mine. We’ll be fine, but man, what a blood bath.

harsh.

welcome to the party. My crap company decided being too short staffed to get work done meant RIF some more people. Including me. No wonder the unit is circling the drain. They also offer the worst separation package out there.

but good news, I hear that companies out there are beating down the doors to offer great positions for unemployed guys that are 60+!

Unfortunately the sports car looking is going to be on hold. As much as I would love to retire early, not really quite ready to do it (we can, but not really fair making my wife work longer if I am not!) Was really hoping to just be left alone for 2 years or so to make the decision then but no such luck.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382

So sorry to hear that, @stickguy. Seems to be the theme of the season.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI