Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    andres3 said:

UFB IS A CRIMINAL SCAM ORGANIZATION.

THANKS FOR SPEAKING UP SO I COULD HEAR YOU

I read some more reviews and decided to just move my savings to Vanguard Federal Money Market.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    edited January 2023

@corvette said:
    THANKS FOR SPEAKING UP SO I COULD HEAR YOU

I read some more reviews and decided to just move my savings to Vanguard Federal Money Market.

I WAS WONDERING WHY HE WAS YELLING 😂

Does Hyundai/Kia own UFB? 😎

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    I WISH WE HAD A MUTE USER FUNCTION.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460

. . . between the abysmal styling of so many of their new cars and the emphasis on style over substance I just can't get excited over 99% of their current product line.

Isn't that the truth -- many answers to questions that no one ever asked. The last time I really wanted a BMW I could barely afford one, and by the time I could comfortably own (not lease) one, I wouldn't be caught dead in it.
    ————————————————
    That’s the down side of getting old slowly.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@mjfloyd1 said:
    Who leases “solar systems”? I’d like the Milky Way 😂

————————————————
    I’d rather have a Snickers. B)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860

. . . between the abysmal styling of so many of their new cars and the emphasis on style over substance I just can't get excited over 99% of their current product line.

Isn't that the truth -- many answers to questions that no one ever asked. The last time I really wanted a BMW I could barely afford one, and by the time I could comfortably own (not lease) one, I wouldn't be caught dead in it.
    I bought my E46 very late in the model year specifically because of the, let's say, awkwardness of the next model.

I agree with Roadburner that now the 3 and the 5 (and I guess the 8 but I wasn't interested in that) are the only ones left that are not bordering on hideous. That's a reason why I bought my 330 when I did - that and because it was the colors I was looking for.

In hindsight I think I actually like the 5 better.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

@qbrozen said:
    unbelievably, I received titles for both Pajero Minis today. That's like 1/4th the time of all previous titles. I wonder what I did to get such special treatment. Possibly because I sent a priority mail envelope with 3 white envelopes inside. One with a follow-up form for the Opel that I screwed up, and the other 2 with the Pajero apps. I guess maybe they took care of the Opel follow-up and figured "eh, let's do these others."

————————————————
    Good to hear. I guess when you stuff envelopes with Franklins it helps.

jmonroe

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@fintail said:
    At least with MB most of the lineup is maybe inoffensive, unlike some BMW weirdness (buckteeth grille, weird lumpy EVs) - maybe the oddest being the bathtub EVs. But when compared to 60s-90s models, the styling sometimes misses the mark. I know new cars are much easier to live with under the hood, but design-wise sometimes I think we're in a 21st century 1958.

The C Class styling is growing on me; I think it hits exactly the right balance for a sports sedan.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    Barrett-Jackson in AZ just sold VIN #1 of the new 2024 Mustang for $490,000. Costs money to be first.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    I tried to log into my Vanguard account but had trouble. First, it's an old email address which I never use anymore and then the password, couldn't remember it. So now, the site tells me I need to call Monday to Friday from 8 am to 8 pm to speak with a human. Too many hoops if you ask me. Seeing the Edward Jones lady Monday at 11 to get a 6 month and a year CD. As long as there are no extra fees involved, I'll go with them. Once I get the Vanguard account fixed, can see what they have and go from there. Have a small amount sitting in the savings I'd like to get some more interest on and since we won't be using it for at least another year, might as well make it work for us.
    Had Vanguard many years ago before I switched over to Fidelity, wanted to consolidate everything at the time. Now, don't care that much if I use both companies.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

If you (or anyone) has a Schwab account, apparently they no longer automatically sweep cash reserves into a money market fund. That was an interesting discovery I made recently.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Barrett-Jackson in AZ just sold VIN #1 of the new 2024 Mustang for $490,000. Costs money to be first.

Was it at least the Dark Horse model?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    The proceeds from the sale of 2024 Mustang #1 went to JDRF.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220

@jmonroe1 said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

————————————————

jmonroe

I knew that you would Snicker at my bad joke😂

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

I tried to log into my Vanguard account but had trouble. First, it's an old email address which I never use anymore and then the password, couldn't remember it. So now, the site tells me I need to call Monday to Friday from 8 am to 8 pm to speak with a human. Too many hoops if you ask me. Seeing the Edward Jones lady Monday at 11 to get a 6 month and a year CD. As long as there are no extra fees involved, I'll go with them. Once I get the Vanguard account fixed, can see what they have and go from there. Have a small amount sitting in the savings I'd like to get some more interest on and since we won't be using it for at least another year, might as well make it work for us.
    Had Vanguard many years ago before I switched over to Fidelity, wanted to consolidate everything at the time. Now, don't care that much if I use both companies.

We have Vanguard accounts. We got many mailings from them a couple years back explaining changes to their system that included brokerage capabilities AND that they wanted all accounts to convert to the NEW computer system's format. After a couple of years I assume any information in the old accounts is difficult to access if not impossible. So calling them Monday to link up your dormant accounts would be the best thing to do.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited January 2023
    stickguy said:

sounds like an appropriate amount of hoops to me. I would be upset if Vanguard (since I use them) didn't obsess about security!

and all this talk of actually getting interest on cash reserves makes me realize I should check what I have mine in. Too much in the checking accounts (though that gets paid interest at our new bank, just not much).

I just got am email telling me my wife's account at Vanguard needs to be changed over. BUT I did change them both at least a year ago. So I will have to spend some time logging into each account soon, adjusting the beneficiary, etc., so I can be sure it's working and is marked as current so they are required to send it to unclaimed funds for the State of Ohio as a dormant account.

Fidelity required registration changes at about the same time. I use Fidelity's brokerage but not Vanguard's. Vanguard is using some investing methods I don't care for, so I just leave the mutual funds there for now. I've considered moving all funds out of there to Fidelity.

BTW everyone should check for unclaimed funds in any state in which they have lived. You can start with your state's Secretary of State office or go to missingmoney.com which works for most states. I found a few weeks ago that there were 4 items they listed for me in Ohio. All trivial, total was less than $10. Not work my time. But I found money in names similar to and locations possible for friends from years ago. So I sent them copies of the listings.

In past 3 years I had one mutual fund send a letter warning an account had been dormant and was appraoching age to be sent to State. I had accessed fund by computer because I do that once a year, but the company is always right....... LOL.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092

@fintail said:

At least with MB most of the lineup is maybe inoffensive, unlike some BMW weirdness (buckteeth grille, weird lumpy EVs) - maybe the oddest being the bathtub EVs. But when compared to 60s-90s models, the styling sometimes misses the mark. I know new cars are much easier to live with under the hood, but design-wise sometimes I think we're in a 21st century 1958.

The C Class styling is growing on me; I think it hits exactly the right balance for a sports sedan.

Seeing as W205 debuted in 2014 for the 2015 model year - almost 10 years ago now, it has aged pretty well. If there's one thing the Germans usually do, it is produce designs that don't look dated in 3 years.

@mjfloyd1 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

————————————————

jmonroe

I knew that you would Snicker at my bad joke😂

————————————————
    Too bad. You lobbed up an easy one. o:)

jmonroe

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    We hardly got to know one another....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

We hardly got to know one another....

————————————————
    Isn’t that the case with ALL of his cars? :o

jmonroe
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    that is a good looking car. Classic design and great colors.

I assume that truck is just taking it someplace to get on a bigger truck? Because that would one expensive tow truck ride!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    breld said:

The ZHP is on its way to the next owner who will greatly appreciate it. From Seattle a year ago, to Denver, and now on to Boston. It is well traveled.

Looks pristine, @breld .

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    stickguy said:

I assume that truck is just taking it someplace to get on a bigger truck? Because that would one expensive tow truck ride!

Exactly - it is headed to a warehouse to be loaded onto a larger transport (enclosed).

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Does breld get a -1 for just selling a car? :)

Does breld get a -1 for just selling a car? :)

If we did that, our punch count for the year would be close to 0, as every purchase also has a resultant sale or trade.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

Safe travels good buddy!

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    stickguy said:

To me the E46 is the pinnacle of 3 Series design. Still fairly analog as well.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591

Ford is responding to the Tesla price cuts today-

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2023
    I could live with that.

stickguy said:

I could live with that.

Me too. I'd switch out those black wheels for something silver, but that isn't an easy car to find.

even if it was a hardtop, I can't stomach the price.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Let me rephrase. I could enjoy having it, but not handle paying for it.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Sort of an interesting purchase story: My best friend's sister in law has a Grand Cherokee Limited that she leased (through a local CU) about 3 years ago. She was over the mileage, the SUV wasn't exactly in pristine condition (cracked front bumper & hood that was littered with dents and scratches), and she was out of warranty. She didn't want to get a "lesser" vehicle than her Grand Cherokee and pay more money per month. She extended the lease. Over the course of the past 6 months she has sent him endless "what do you think of this car" texts. She finally decided that she LOVES the Lexus IS 300 AWD. She (with his help) finds one at the dealer where my parents' have leased my Mom's 2 RX 350s from. She found a dark blue/brown 2018 IS 300 AWD (non F-Sport) with around 50K miles listed for $26 or $27K. She goes, looks at the car, drives it, and LOVES it. Rolls $2K worth of negative equity from her Jeep into a 72 month loan at 7.9% APR.

Here's what's sort of interesting. The dealer reconditions every used Lexus to CPO standards. They give the customer the option of whether or not they want the vehicle certified. They go over the benefits of what is and isn't covered under the LEXUS CPO warranty and if the customer says yes, then they add $2,995 to the purchase price.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    qbrozen said:

If it was a hardtop, would definitely be interesting.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

qbrozen said:

————————————————
    What’s wrong with a “GREAT DEAL”?

jmonroe
    Is that BMW AWD or RWD ad has both listed.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    edited January 2023

Usually, there would be an X-Drive badge, or M240Xi on the rear. Looks like RWD to me

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    nyccarguy said:

Sort of an interesting purchase story: My best friend's sister in law has a Grand Cherokee Limited that she leased (through a local CU) about 3 years ago. She was over the mileage, the SUV wasn't exactly in pristine condition (cracked front bumper & hood that was littered with dents and scratches), and she was out of warranty. She didn't want to get a "lesser" vehicle than her Grand Cherokee and pay more money per month. She extended the lease. Over the course of the past 6 months she has sent him endless "what do you think of this car" texts. She finally decided that she LOVES the Lexus IS 300 AWD. She (with his help) finds one at the dealer where my parents' have leased my Mom's 2 RX 350s from. She found a dark blue/brown 2018 IS 300 AWD (non F-Sport) with around 50K miles listed for $26 or $27K. She goes, looks at the car, drives it, and LOVES it. Rolls $2K worth of negative equity from her Jeep into a 72 month loan at 7.9% APR.

Here's what's sort of interesting. The dealer reconditions every used Lexus to CPO standards. They give the customer the option of whether or not they want the vehicle certified. They go over the benefits of what is and isn't covered under the LEXUS CPO warranty and if the customer says yes, then they add $2,995 to the purchase price.

Does she have a bad credit rating? 7.9% is rather high, even these days.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

BMW cracked the whip on dealers allowing customers the option of CPO-ing a vehicle many years ago, IIRC, but I guess Lexus allows it. It’s unusual that they put that level of recon into every vehicle, regardless of whether or not the customer springs for the CPO warranty.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698

Funny enough, this is the same M240 vert I was considering last summer. Whoever bought it hardly put any miles on it, and now it’s listed $10k less than before.

It was sold as a CPO last summer…does that coverage stay with the car or just to the original CPO buyer?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/748da61d-2e6a-44b4-9862-4cde2015532c/

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    breld said:

Funny enough, this is the same M240 vert I was considering last summer. Whoever bought it hardly put any miles on it, and now it’s listed $10k less than before.

It was sold as a CPO last summer…does that coverage stay with the car or just to the original CPO buyer?

Small world!

I think I just let an attractively priced '18 M240xi vert slip through my fat fingers thanks to my indecision...
    But, it had the black wheels, no me gusta. So, that will help me sleep at night.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

@breld said:

CPO sTays with the car

breld said:

Small world!

I think I just let an attractively priced '18 M240xi vert slip through my fat fingers thanks to my indecision...
    But, it had the black wheels, no me gusta. So, that will help me sleep at night.
    I'm sure you could buy some silver (or gunmetal) BMW wheels for not a huge amount of money.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

kyfdx said:

Usually, there would be an X-Drive badge, or M240Xi on the rear. Looks like RWD to me
    I don't think you could get xdrive with a manual on the F87, either.