Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    breld said:

Funny enough, this is the same M240 vert I was considering last summer. Whoever bought it hardly put any miles on it, and now it’s listed $10k less than before.

It was sold as a CPO last summer…does that coverage stay with the car or just to the original CPO buyer?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/748da61d-2e6a-44b4-9862-4cde2015532c/

I like where this is going.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    breld said:

The ZHP is on its way to the next owner who will greatly appreciate it. From Seattle a year ago, to Denver, and now on to Boston. It is well traveled.

Sadly this wonderful vehicle hasn't been driven among these places , but hauled.

Wow, just wow.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,221

@breld said:
    Funny enough, this is the same M240 vert I was considering last summer. Whoever bought it hardly put any miles on it, and now it’s listed $10k less than before.

It was sold as a CPO last summer…does that coverage stay with the car or just to the original CPO buyer?

BMW CPO used to transfer with the car. That changed around 2014 when it only transfers if private sale or if re-certified by a BMW dealer

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    mjfloyd1 said:

@corvette said:

THANKS FOR SPEAKING UP SO I COULD HEAR YOU

I read some more reviews and decided to just move my savings to Vanguard Federal Money Market.

I WAS WONDERING WHY HE WAS YELLING 😂

Does Hyundai/Kia own UFB? 😎

I'd bet money some former employees of Kia/Hyundai finance got hired at UFB.

I did lodge a formal complaint to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. Based on about 1 hour of research online/Google, that seemed like the best agency to complain to for a Federal Bank. Next FTC for the false advertising.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686

Small world!

I think I just let an attractively priced '18 M240xi vert slip through my fat fingers thanks to my indecision...
    But, it had the black wheels, no me gusta. So, that will help me sleep at night.

I'm sure you could buy some silver (or gunmetal) BMW wheels for not a huge amount of money.

So much for my good night's sleep.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@henryn said:
    Does she have a bad credit rating? 7.9% is rather high, even these days.

I think her credit is good. Could be excellent. She didn’t shop lenders before heading to the dealership. So that’s on her.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,758
    venture said:

In hindsight I think I actually like the 5 better.

If it was most anyone else, I might smell another punch in the near future! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

@corvette said:
    BMW cracked the whip on dealers allowing customers the option of CPO-ing a vehicle many years ago, IIRC, but I guess Lexus allows it. It’s unusual that they put that level of recon into every vehicle, regardless of whether or not the customer springs for the CPO warranty.

My guess is they are picky enough and know what they are doing. The dealer is in an affluent area where people lease cars just to drive them back and forth to the train station, out to dinner on weekends, & the occasional road trip. They trade the cars well before the lease is up, well under the mileage, & in pristine condition.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

andres3 said:

mjfloyd1 said:

@corvette said:

THANKS FOR SPEAKING UP SO I COULD HEAR YOU

I read some more reviews and decided to just move my savings to Vanguard Federal Money Market.

I WAS WONDERING WHY HE WAS YELLING 😂

Does Hyundai/Kia own UFB? 😎

I'd bet money some former employees of Kia/Hyundai finance got hired at UFB.

I did lodge a formal complaint to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. Based on about 1 hour of research online/Google, that seemed like the best agency to complain to for a Federal Bank. Next FTC for the false advertising.

COOL STORY, BRO
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    nyccarguy said:

@corvette said:

BMW cracked the whip on dealers allowing customers the option of CPO-ing a vehicle many years ago, IIRC, but I guess Lexus allows it. It’s unusual that they put that level of recon into every vehicle, regardless of whether or not the customer springs for the CPO warranty.

My guess is they are picky enough and know what they are doing. The dealer is in an affluent area where people lease cars just to drive them back and forth to the train station, out to dinner on weekends, & the occasional road trip. They trade the cars well before the lease is up, well under the mileage, & in pristine condition.

I turned in a couple of leases that I would bet qualified to go straight to the CPO front line without being touched. Maybe a quick oil change, and that is it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    One my cars, when I traded it in, they drove it around to the side of the building, took pictures and put them on their site.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    nyccarguy said:

Sort of an interesting purchase story: My best friend's sister in law has a Grand Cherokee Limited that she leased (through a local CU) about 3 years ago. She was over the mileage, the SUV wasn't exactly in pristine condition (cracked front bumper & hood that was littered with dents and scratches), and she was out of warranty. She didn't want to get a "lesser" vehicle than her Grand Cherokee and pay more money per month. She extended the lease. Over the course of the past 6 months she has sent him endless "what do you think of this car" texts. She finally decided that she LOVES the Lexus IS 300 AWD. She (with his help) finds one at the dealer where my parents' have leased my Mom's 2 RX 350s from. She found a dark blue/brown 2018 IS 300 AWD (non F-Sport) with around 50K miles listed for $26 or $27K. She goes, looks at the car, drives it, and LOVES it. Rolls $2K worth of negative equity from her Jeep into a 72 month loan at 7.9% APR.

Here's what's sort of interesting. The dealer reconditions every used Lexus to CPO standards. They give the customer the option of whether or not they want the vehicle certified. They go over the benefits of what is and isn't covered under the LEXUS CPO warranty and if the customer says yes, then they add $2,995 to the purchase price.

$3k to be CPOed? I’d want to know what was to be done to be worth that much more.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236

$3k to be CPOed? I’d want to know what was to be done to be worth that much more.

Paying the manufacturer for the warranty, plus some profit for the dealer.

One my cars, when I traded it in, they drove it around to the side of the building, took pictures and put them on their site.

When I sold my first Jetta (the 1999.5 GLS VR6) to Carmax, the guy there told me that it had too many miles to be put on their lot, but that an employee would probably purchase it before it went to auction because it was so clean. I doubt their employees still get dibs on inventory, and maybe they didn't even back then.
    I think I would skip the CPO and look for a dealer selling the BMW extended warranty cheap on one of the forums. You can find that for most brands. CPO is not even that long of an extension (just a year or 2, largely just powertrain, right?)

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    stickguy said:

I think I would skip the CPO and look for a dealer selling the BMW extended warranty cheap on one of the forums. You can find that for most brands. CPO is not even that long of an extension (just a year or 2, largely just powertrain, right?)

Yes, but we're talking BMW, where everything costs more. After all, this ain't a Chevy! B)
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

@mjfloyd1 said:

@breld said:

BMW CPO used to transfer with the car. That changed around 2014 when it only transfers if private sale or if re-certified by a BMW dealer

Really? Wow. Well, if anyone was going to uncertify a car, it was bound to be BMW.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

Traded a car in 1994. The new car dealer gave me $300 for it. Before I had left the lot, they were already taping the used car “sticker” in the window. :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@qbrozen said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

@breld said:

Really? Wow. Well, if anyone was going to uncertify a car, it was bound to be BMW.

I’m pretty sure the other German manufacturers have followed suit unfortunately

@venture said:
    I bought my E46 very late in the model year specifically because of the, let's say, awkwardness of the next model.

I agree with Roadburner that now the 3 and the 5 (and I guess the 8 but I wasn't interested in that) are the only ones left that are not bordering on hideous. That's a reason why I bought my 330 when I did - that and because it was the colors I was looking for.

I see good deals on 5 series on Leasehackr since they are changing the body style on them for 2024. I expect to see buck teeth soon😂

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851
    edited January 2023

Way back when I turned my 2000 Solara in, the UCM asked if I had ever sat in it.

It was a very light beige inside. All beige even the floor mats. Those are usually trashed but mine were pristine.

That went right to their lot, as did my 03 Avalon when I turned that in.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

We put a lot of miles on our cars. They are always in excellent shape as far as maintenance goes. I don't keep up with washing the cars and keeping them clean like I used to when it was just me & the Prelude. When the car was 10 years old, I would constantly get "no way that car is that old."

Before I traded in my 2011 Pilot, I ran it through the car wash, polished and waxed it with the orbital, and it glowed in the dark (as much as a dark grey SUV can anyway). I watched the UCM's eyes light up as he ran his hand along the hood. He looked at me and told me he's seen cars with less than 1/2 the mileage of mine (102,000 at the time) not look anywhere near as good.

tjc78 said:
    Interesting that japaneseclassics had theirs with much more miles for far more money. https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1996-y33-nissan-cima-turbo/

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497

That Nissan is perfect for @qbrozen’s right-hand drive sales department.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,463
    nyccarguy said:

We put a lot of miles on our cars. They are always in excellent shape as far as maintenance goes. I don't keep up with washing the cars and keeping them clean like I used to when it was just me & the Prelude. When the car was 10 years old, I would constantly get "no way that car is that old."

Before I traded in my 2011 Pilot, I ran it through the car wash, polished and waxed it with the orbital, and it glowed in the dark (as much as a dark grey SUV can anyway). I watched the UCM's eyes light up as he ran his hand along the hood. He looked at me and told me he's seen cars with less than 1/2 the mileage of mine (102,000 at the time) not look anywhere near as good.

————————————————
    And then he proceeded to give you a price that was equivalent to stealing it from you. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

nyccarguy said:

————————————————
    And then he proceeded to give you a price that was equivalent to stealing it from you. :'(

jmonroe

Nope. I negotiated with him to $500 less than the "if he offers you this much, take it and walk home if you have to" price that @qbrozen said it was worth:)-

tjc78 said:
    ————————————————
    I agree that this is right up @qbrozen’s alley although I don’t know if the price is right. However, I don’t understand this write up about the car:

ABOUT THIS VEHICLE
    The car has some scratches on the wing. It was purchased from a an older gentlemen in Japan who is the original owner. Customer came to us looking for a white V6 Turbo Cima with low miles.. We got exactly what he wanted and we are excited to bring this beauty for it's new owner in Pennsylvania.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    nyccarguy said:

jmonroe1 said:

nyccarguy said:

————————————————

jmonroe

Nope. I negotiated with him to $500 less than the "if he offers you this much, take it and walk home if you have to" price that @qbrozen said it was worth:)-
    ————————————————
    Thanks for the response. So you got a number from @qbrozen while he still had connections when he was providing help via Real-World Trade in Values. I now wonder if he will be resurrecting this site again since he’s going to be in the car biz now. So, we should get some clarification about this, right?

jmonroe
    I can get a turbo Cima for far far less direct from the source, of course. Even the nicest ones would max out at like $6k to my door.

Might have a new vehicle in our near future Part 2.
    My wife hadn't been mentioning getting a replacement vehicle even though she's had her MKC for 7 years, but I started looking a few months back.
    I had seen some she would probably like, so the other day I printed the window sticker for one of them and left it on the kitchen counter.
    She must have looked at it because she said 'That one seems nice'.
    Since then, I stopped at took picture of it and sent it to her.
    When I mentioned I had taken an interior pic but it didn't come out well because it was raining, she said she had looked on the website to see what it looked like inside.
    Later, she asked what I thought her MKC was worth, so there my be a new vehicle in our future.
    Need to get the MKC back first and go from there.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    @explorerx4 Great timing!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    mjfloyd1 said:

@venture said:

I bought my E46 very late in the model year specifically because of the, let's say, awkwardness of the next model.

I agree with Roadburner that now the 3 and the 5 (and I guess the 8 but I wasn't interested in that) are the only ones left that are not bordering on hideous. That's a reason why I bought my 330 when I did - that and because it was the colors I was looking for.

I see good deals on 5 series on Leasehackr since they are changing the body style on them for 2024. I expect to see buck teeth soon😂

Mrs. venture would go nuts. :|

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

edited January 2023
    @mjfloyd1 - The rear doors are awkwardly long, but otherwise, not bad. Also interesting that both powertrains are hybrid (a mild 48V hybrid on the I6 vs. a more substantial system on the I4) and they both make the same amount of torque, with the I4 making only a few fewer horsepower. I'm assuming the four will get significantly better MPGs.

I also read that Honda is ditching VTEC on its new 3.5 liter V6. I'm surprised they are not replacing it with a turbo four, as Toyota is doing, plus they already have some turbos in their lineup.

@explorerx4
    Dodged a bullet right there! Hopefully it’s fixed quickly and if you trade it, you get a decent deal

venture said:

mjfloyd1 said:

@venture said:

————————————————
    Get her a shot like @breld did for Mrs. breld. B)

jmonroe
    @tjc78,
    I'm formulating an alternate plan because I'm worried about them getting the replacement part.
    We could just get my wife a new vehicle and keep the MKC for a while after it's fixed.
    could be a problem if you are down to one regular car and it is laid up in the shop.

@explorerx4 said:
    @tjc78,
    I'm formulating an alternate plan because I'm worried about them getting the replacement part.
    We could just get my wife a new vehicle and keep the MKC for a while after it's fixed.

Gotcha. You looking at Corsair or Nautilus?

@tjc78,
    My wife likes the size of the Corsair, Nautilus too large.

Might have a new vehicle in our near future Part 1.
    I drove my wife's 2016 MKC to the grocery store a week ago Sunday and everything was ok.
    Two days later she drives it and when she comes back, says Check Engine light is on, which it is.
    It seems to drive perfectly ok.
    Wednesday I call the Lincoln dealer and am able to bring to in to see when the light is for.
    Diagnostic charge is $169 but will be covered if extended warranty covers repair.
    Haven't heard anything in a few days so I stopped by the dealership on the way home from walking my daughter's dogs(nice warm 20 degrees today but sunny).
    The service manager tells me they have submitted a claim and it should be covered but has to wait for approval to replace the turbo.
    We have less than 3 weeks left on our warranty contract.

Couldn’t you have gotten the code with a cheap code reader? How many miles on it that the turbo would go? Did you get this car used?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@oldfarmer50,
    We bought it new and It's still under extended warranty, so I figured I wouldn't get charged for the diagnosis. I thought about going to Autozone to have the codes read.
    If the claim is denied then we would have to pay.
    We changed the oil at the dealer every 5k but sometimes things just break.
    Wife just asked me if I looked at the Corsair she likes while I was there.
    edited January 2023

Wife just asked me if I looked at the Corsair she likes while I was there.

In other words - Where is my new car?

I like the Corsair. Actually I like all the Lincoln SUVs. Good looking rigs.

edited January 2023
    @tjc78,
    I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head plus neither one of us want to do the car sharing thing too long. :D
  • mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    I have a 9 year old vehicle that is acting up. Leaking oil from turbo and no warranty. Looking to sell car or trade in for another car. Problem is inventory is still poor, can't get at MRSP due to dealer fees and other fees added on. May be looking at preowned car with ability to purchase extended warranty.

@venture said:

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission

@corvette said:
    @mjfloyd1 - The rear doors are awkwardly long, but otherwise, not bad. Also interesting that both powertrains are hybrid (a mild 48V hybrid on the I6 vs. a more substantial system on the I4) and they both make the same amount of torque, with the I4 making only a few fewer horsepower. I'm assuming the four will get significantly better MPGs.

I also read that Honda is ditching VTEC on its new 3.5 liter V6. I'm surprised they are not replacing it with a turbo four, as Toyota is doing, plus they already have some turbos in their lineup.

I happen to like awkwardly long rear doors 😂

Can’t yell “yo the VTEC kicked in” any more