Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    @28firefighter another one down

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————
    WOW, all you need now is for the household to learn how to drive that beast. :'(

jmonroe

Unfortunately it was raining and dark so the pothole wasn’t visible- it snuck up on me!

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Yes, as everybody knows, you don't hit a pothole. It lies in wait and at the last minute moves directly into the tire path.
    That is my true belief.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

Yes, as everybody knows, you don't hit a pothole. It lies in wait and at the last minute moves directly into the tire path.
    That is my true belief.

Is there a speed where you are going so fast you just "fly" over the pothole unscathed?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    And, so glad I drive a PHEV; no pesky oil or spark plugs to worry about! And, with regenerative braking, no pads or rotors to wear out.
    I are smartly.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    so you have a gasoline engine with no oil or ignition system? Impressive!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    The technology exists.
    https://youtu.be/1cKSDwERViE
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@andres3 said:
    Is there a speed where you are going so fast you just "fly" over the pothole unscathed?

Yeah but then you just hit something up higher like a light pole or stop sign.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    @pensfan83 The staffing issues are real.. :/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    @pensfan83 - no! pour one out for the gobblerito....
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

@kyfdx said:
    @pensfan83 The staffing issues are real.. :/

Fair, but that was posted 2 days ago and they are already closed so pretty crappy for the employees. And this restaurant is owned by one of the largest restaurant groups in the city so I'm sure they could have flexed some staff there for a bit longer of a windown.

In any event I spent many a night there in college and post college and like a handful of other places in the neighborhood am sad to see it go.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP

@28firefighter said:
    @pensfan83 - no! pour one out for the gobblerito....

I know, so disappointed for South Oakland. There's others around to get the gobblerito fix but man, a ton of memories there.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    jmonroe1 said:

kyfdx said:

henryn said:

kyfdx said:

henryn said:

henryn said:

kyfdx said:

I'm running my GTI back through Carvana, to see it's worth $50K, now..

EDIT: I'm down to $21,600. Not bad for a 5 year old car, I guess..

My 2013 F150 XL, which I purchased in May of 2021, is now all the way down to $10,962 according to Carvana. When I purchased it, Carvana offered $13,250. At some point it peaked at just over $15k, I don't remember exactly when.

Vroom says they will send me an offer via email.

I am not unhappy, I paid $10,500 and spent about $1,000 on maintenance and upgrades (stereo, backup camera).
    I don’t get it, how does a 2013 F-150 go for 10k and a 2011 Ranger go for $20k on Carvana?
    Makes no sense to me either. But like the man said, a used car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

I just got the offer from Vroom. $8,000. Seriously low. A 10 year old F150, with 82k miles, was worth more than that before all of the craziness started.
    Regular cab or SuperCab? I'm really surprised at how low the offers are. 2WD in Texas should sell well.
    It's a regular car cab, 8 ft bed. Those are in high demand by people who actually use the truck for work. It has the V8, automatic, cold A/C, keyless entry, power mirrors, low miles (82k), and a few other niceties. I will have no trouble selling it when the time comes, it looks good and runs perfectly. I was just using the online car buying services to gauge the current used car market. This truck, on Carvana, started at $13.2 in May of 2021, peaked at a little over $15k, and is now down to $10.9.

Vroom is just an outlier, for some reason. No idea why.
    All the 2013 Ford XL models near me with comparable milage are retailing for around $20k. How about I meet you halfway at roadburner’s house?
    2WD regular cab in NY?
    Nothing has less traction than the 2WD Chevy Express I’m driving now. Besides I’ve been driving RWD in the snow since the 60s. AWD is just one more thing to break.
    ————————————————
    So you do believe in the sand bag thingy.

jmonroe
    I always throw a few 80 pound bags of salt in the back of the van. I’m not sure it helps much.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    edited February 2023
    pensfan83 said:

I know, so disappointed for South Oakland. There's others around to get the gobblerito fix but man, a ton of memories there.

*hazy memories, in my case...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

AWD does have advantages over 2WD but that doesn't mean you can't get there if you have 2WD.
    Usually less drama with AWD.

Every winter I see countless people who thought AWD gave them magical powers and ended up on their roof. My van is actually pretty good in significant snow but on ice it sucks because it doesn’t have LSD. If you get one wheel on ice you just spin. My Lincoln had limited slip and was better in all conditions. I loved being able to pivot it in a circle with just a tap on the gas.

AWD on the other hand will get you moving better on ice but I think some drivers believe it makes you stop or corner faster.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I went to school up here, and drove around in an assortment of RWD cars and survived just fine. Including a Duster with bald bias ply snows, and a couple of light weight imports with 1970s vintage all season radials. None of which had any weight in the back.

I'm sure I could handle it in a modern car with electronic traction help and modern tires!

Bad drivers end up in the ditch for various reasons.
    In my many years of driving north to ski, I also saw drivers who thought AWD was a miracle cure for the laws of physics...
    A bunch of young yahoos (and I was one, too; but wiser in the ways of snow) passed me on 103 heading into Ludlow, VT after flashing their lights for me to move it for a while... my thought was for them to learn a mild lesson, no one gets hurt, no major damage to the Subie... and, lo and behold and unsurprisingly, a nice left hand sweep to get into downtown Ludlow with a small village green on the right, there was said Subie sideswiped into the large snowbank created by plowing. No one appeared hurt, not sure about the right side of Subie, but I'll hope a lesson was learned.
    I arrived, as usual (and luck?), unscathed and ready to do young yahoo-y things on the slopes.

stickguy said:

so you have a gasoline engine with no oil or ignition system? Impressive!

Gas engine? I thought I just had to plug it in every 20 miles or so.
    And, of course, feed the hamster and oil his wheel regularly.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    mjfloyd1 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

WOW, all you need now is for the household to learn how to drive that beast. :'(

jmonroe

Unfortunately it was raining and dark so the pothole wasn’t visible- it snuck up on me!

———————————————
    Boy, don’t I know what that’s like and I told that story above. Those are the type of pot holes that could result in chipped teeth.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    andres3 said:

That is my true belief.

————————————————
    I have yet to find that speed but I’m sure if there is such a thing, you and @roadburner have found it. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

The technology exists.
    https://youtu.be/1cKSDwERViE</blockquote
    ———————————————
    Somehow I can’t bring myself to believe that. I’m suspicious of internet stuff like that. But I’d like it to be true.

jmonroe

@jmonroe1,
    My Lincoln had that suspension.

@jmonroe1,
    My Lincoln had that suspension.

————————————————
    I can understand an adjustable suspension but I’m talking about a “pot hole detector”. Did you try your suspension on pot holes and noticed a difference compared to other cars you owned? If so that system would be a tire and rim saver worth paying for.

jmonroe
    @jmonroe1,
    Why would I intentionally run over a pothole?
    It's taken me a long time to trust things like stop and go cruise control and auto hold on hills.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    Stay warm NE friends!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

it was a balmy -13 when i woke up this morning. thankfully warming up pretty quickly. Should be in the teens when we have to go out to the city after lunch, and since will be outside a bit, will be nice to not get frostbite immediately.

odder, by tomorrow afternoon, I could be out in the driveway washing my car. and most of next week highs in the mid-40's.

@jmonroe1,
    It's taken me a long time to trust things like stop and go cruise control and auto hold on hills.

————————————————
    The best way I know of to verify if something works as advertised is to test it. When you buy a car you try the brakes and the accelerator pedal to see if the car performs those functions. Hell, you even make a call with your cell phone to see if it works before leaving the store. So, until you test something you’re just taking someone’s word for it. See what I mean?

jmonroe
    stickguy said:

it was a balmy -13 when i woke up this morning. thankfully warming up pretty quickly. Should be in the teens when we have to go out to the city after lunch, and since will be outside a bit, will be nice to not get frostbite immediately.

odder, by tomorrow afternoon, I could be out in the driveway washing my car. and most of next week highs in the mid-40's.

————————————————
    The weather in the Burgh area is supposed to be pretty similar. I don’t know what the famous PA rodent said about the coming of Spring but next week is going to be pretty good for these parts of the woods.

jmonroe
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    I'm strongly suspecting six more weeks of winter. Perhaps even ten. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    stickguy said:

You got lucky to move here for one of the warmer less snowy winters for some time. Mother Nature is easing you in gradually before she slams you with snow up to your frozen shut eyeballs. :#

@jmonroe1,
    Did you ever run into something to make sure your 5 mph bumpers would work? ;)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934

@explorerx4 said:

Oh oh, i got this one!
    Because you have a vehicle to your immediate left and a pedestrian on the shoulder so you have no choice but to grit your teeth and take the hit.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    stickguy said:

Same thing here, -26C overnight which is about -13 in US terms. Now it is up to -14C which is a balmy 7F.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Got parked downtown and walked to a bar before our they’re show and it was up to 7. Didn’t bother to zip my coat.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    I would imagine homes are much better insulated in the north compared to the south east. Code is R-30, attic, R-13 walls, R-11 crawl space. When it gets below 30 you can really feel the cold as it bleeds through the exterior walls and windows. brrr

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    sda said:

I would imagine homes are much better insulated in the north compared to the south east. Code is R-30, attic, R-13 walls, R-11 crawl space. When it gets below 30 you can really feel the cold as it bleeds through the exterior walls and windows. brrr

Insulation wasn't really a thing here until the '70s. My brother has a 1963-built bungalow and it had no insulation in the walls at all and 4" of fiberglass in the attic. He upgraded it years ago with blown-in cellulose in the walls and added 8" of it in the attic. My house was built in 1955 and had the same 4" or so in the attic which I upgraded the same way he did, but I have a different problem with the walls. They have a locally-made product that looks a bit like fiberglass kraft paper-backed insulation, but without the fiberglass. Instead it has seaweed insulation, believe it or not. Shredded, dried seaweed was glued to the paper backing but it had 2 problems: the seaweed offered next to no insulation value, and the seaweed detaches from the backing over time and settles into the bottom of a stud bay. I spoke to an insulation contractor some years back and he said there was no way to retrofit blown in cellulose or foam. You would need to take down the interior walls to get it out.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@gbrozen,
    Jm referenced 'trying out' the functionality, not being forced to.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

My pothole incident looks to be about a $700 incident, between a new tire, wheel repair and an alignment.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

@jmonroe1,
    Did you ever run into something to make sure your 5 mph bumpers would work? ;)

————————————————
    I did better than that. Not too long after I got Mrs. j her 2018 Subie Legacy Limited (that she didn’t want), I tested the automatic braking feature by placing a large cardboard box in the driveway. I then pulled into the driveway faster than I ever did and yeah the brakes stopped the car before it hit the box. Of course my foot was ready to pounce on the brakes but I didn’t have to do that. No, Mrs. j was not in the car. I ain’t that crazy.

jmonroe
    @jmonroe1,
    I neve thought of testing with a cardboard pothole. HA HA :D

@jmonroe1,
    I neve thought of testing with a cardboard pothole. HA HA :D

————————————————-
    If you still have the car it’s not too late.

Jmonroe

@breld said:
    My pothole incident looks to be about a $700 incident, between a new tire, wheel repair and an alignment.

That’s not too bad bit is it too late to trade it?😂

• mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    Dilemma on what to do. Replace MB C250 2014 with MB C300 2020 CPO, BMW 330 2020 CPO, Grand Cherokee lease or Jeep Gladiator lease. Other option is to keep MB C250 2014 for another 4 months.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    mjfloyd1 said:

@breld said:

That’s not too bad bit is it too late to trade it?😂

He can't trade out of the Polestar, unless it's back to the Volvo/Polestar dealer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited February 2023
    mlevine said:

Dilemma on what to do. Replace MB C250 2014 with MB C300 2020 CPO, BMW 330 2020 CPO, Grand Cherokee lease or Jeep Gladiator lease. Other option is to keep MB C250 2014 for another 4 months.

Waiting 4 months can only get you a better deal as used prices are reported to be dropping 4% a month. Hard to compare a BMW 330 with a Jeep Grand Cherokee but I like them both for different reasons. The 330 is a sporty car but kind of cramped for me. The GC is super comfortable but the handling dynamics are nowhere near a MB or BMW.

I like the Gladiator least of any of them. It is cramped inside, rides like a truck and has a small bed. I think any small pickup like a Tacoma or Ranger would be better and cheaper.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    mlevine said:

Why 4 months longer for the C250?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    The wheelbase on a Gladiator would be tiresome, before long.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Waiting 4 months can only get you a better deal as used prices are reported to be dropping 4% a month. Hard to compare a BMW 330 with a Jeep Grand Cherokee but I like them both for different reasons. The 330 is a sporty car but kind of cramped for me. The GC is super comfortable but the handling dynamics are nowhere near a MB or BMW.

I like the Gladiator least of any of them. It is cramped inside, rides like a truck and has a small bed. I think any small pickup like a Tacoma or Ranger would be better and cheaper.

I think I know why the Gladiator rides like a truck…😂