Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,542

@henryn said:
    Hmmmm........

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/experiments/chpt-2/voltage-usage/#:~:text=If your multimeter is digital,a battery to measure voltage.
    If your multimeter is digital, it will require a small battery to operate.

If it is analog, it does not need a battery to measure voltage.

————————————————
    More proof that you can’t believe everything you read on the internet. The antiquated analog VOM’s that I once had required a battery for correct operation of all ranges. Just like the digital VOM’s I have today.

FWIW, i no longer live in the analog world of VOM’s.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    kyfdx said:

driver100 said:

I just got this video of a guy who shows an invoice from the dealer....they recommend that he change his cabin air filter...........total cost including labor would be $140.
    Then he shows you how he ordered one for $15, and how he installed it himself in about 45 seconds and saved $125. It went in behind the glove box - do they still call it that?

Plus the 45 minutes he spent on YouTube, figuring out access to behind the glovebox?

And, the pure luck of having a car that didn't entail 30 minutes for removal and replacement of said glovebox?

And, the carcinogenic material that his knockoff cabin filter is made from? (okay, I made that one up).
    OTOH......1) now that he knows how to do it, it will only take 30 seconds next time.
    2) The dealer said it would be....$140 for that same car.
    3) Got me! :|

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    jmonroe1 said:

@henryn said:

Hmmmm........

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/experiments/chpt-2/voltage-usage/#:~:text=If your multimeter is digital,a battery to measure voltage.

If your multimeter is digital, it will require a small battery to operate.

If it is analog, it does not need a battery to measure voltage.

————————————————

More proof that you can’t believe everything you read on the internet. The antiquated analog VOM’s that I once had required a battery for correct operation of all ranges. Just like the digital VOM’s I have today.

FWIW, i no longer live in the analog world of VOM’s.

jmonroe

I no longer own an analog VOM myself. But I do recall, in years gone by, when I did own an analog VOM, the batteries were dead and it would not measure resistance, but it would still measure volts. At least DC volts, I was working on a car at the time.

Who knows, it might have had more than one battery, I never opened it up to check. I just replaced with a digital model (which are really cheap these days).
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    driver100 said:

I just got this video of a guy who shows an invoice from the dealer....they recommend that he change his cabin air filter...........total cost including labor would be $140.
    Then he shows you how he ordered one for $15, and how he installed it himself in about 45 seconds and saved $125. It went in behind the glove box - do they still call it that?

If you look in my glove box you will find the owner's manual, registration and insurance cards, and gloves. B)

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

venture said:

driver100 said:

If you look in my glove box you will find the owner's manual, registration and insurance cards, and gloves. B)
    I checked and I found the owners manual, some insurance and ownership papers, a few granola bars, a baggy with some quarters, some old receipts, a coupon for the car wash that expired 4 years ago......but no gloves, everything else but! :D

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,997
    Why do you need gloves in Florida? Unless ... you're using them to avoid leaving fingerprints behind. Which makes me wonder what you're really doing down there.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    FWIW
    My glovebox lifts out after pushing in on two spring-loaded prongs to let it rotate further than normal toward passenger. Remove two screws on ends of small door. Lift spring clip on top of door and it opens allowing access to the filter.

I believe the process is shown in the glovebox owner's manual. (Like many, I haven't read the manual in the glovebox.)

Total time: 2 minutes to carefully get filter out, including dumping glovebox's contents into cardboard box.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Is it such that some posts are "gaslighted?" You won't know because you won't have seen them. I've been on here for over 20 years and have a decent handle on who's going to respond to what I post, if anyone. I put up a reasonable comment related to the license plate thing, and got zero response, even from the one or two people I can usually depend on to recognize my existence.

Just asking.

Maybe I've lost my touch.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

Is it such that some posts are "gaslighted?" You won't know because you won't have seen them. I've been on here for over 20 years and have a decent handle on who's going to respond to what I post, if anyone. I put up a reasonable comment related to the license plate thing, and got zero response, even from the one or two people I can usually depend on to recognize my existence.

Just asking.

Everyone can see your posts..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Just asking.

Repost it again and I'll give you some feedback.....no charge! :)

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Michaell said:

Why do you need gloves in Florida? Unless ... you're using them to avoid leaving fingerprints behind. Which makes me wonder what you're really doing down there.

Well they have to have something to keep their hands warm when they put on those parkas when the temperatures drops below 65.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

The native Floridians wear long pants for outdoor tennis when the temp is below 60F
    The snowbirds wear long pants when the temp is below 45F.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497

Just asking.

Sorry man, you and I are not in the popular boys and girls crowd here 😐.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    edited February 2023

Just asking.

I apologize for losing you in the crowd. I acknowledge your existence as well as being better for it. :)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    kyfdx said:

Just asking.

Everyone can see your posts..
    Funnily enough, I went to his profile page to see the comment in question since I didn’t recall seeing it. I couldn’t find anything he posted there. Although it showed a number (1.2K) for comments, none of them showed.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

I have two old Simpson VOM’s from the 60s. They take batteries as has any digital or analog I’ve had.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Inflation is so high that the standard $2 off a large Pizza at Round Table Pizza coupon is now $3 Off. Of course the price went up more than a dollar last year. Used to be you had to order the XL to get $3 Off, now you get $4 off on that one.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Mea culpa

@carnaught said:

————————————————
    Do you really think it would be safe to allow carte blanche access to every Tom, Dick and Harry to our club? :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    andres3 said:

Inflation is so high that the standard $2 off a large Pizza at Round Table Pizza coupon is now $3 Off. Of course the price went up more than a dollar last year. Used to be you had to order the XL to get $3 Off, now you get $4 off on that one.

When I was in SD recently, I tried to get my sister and her family to go to Round Table - they declined.

Last time I ate at one was in Anchorage, AK.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    Don't think we have those on the East coast.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited February 2023
    It was only one page back:

When I was early in my driving career (or avocation) each state had a single color scheme for their license plates and kept it for years. This was when CA had black plates w/ yellow lettering. You could tell from a hundred yards away what state the vehicle in front of you was from. I thought that was a pretty useful arrangement, and I wasn't even in law enforcement.

Well those days are so gone. AZ currently offers a choice among 93 (I just checked) options in a wide variety of color combinations. Oh boy. Other states & provinces may not have such a ridiculous number of options, but there appear to be several at least.

And, by the way, get off my lawn, and drive your cars somewhere already.

I reprinted it here....I do remember reading and seeing it.
    My impression was it was a rhetorical post....makes a statement but nothing needs to be commented on.
    And, you're not here very often, so I thought you wouldn't be here if I did reply.
    My comment is "Florida has over 120 choices"
    I said it a long time ago, my favorites are the North West Territories plates;

see, we aren't ignoring you cdn!

To be clear.. our software doesn’t support muting, blocking, or anything like that. If you can see the post, everyone can see the post.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    andres3 said:

Round Table here is so pricey that I feel like I need a HELOC to order anything more than lunch. Dominos hasn't gone nuts anyway.
    I don't recall ever hearing of a "Round Table Pizza". Around here, we have Papa John's, Domino's, and Caesar's. Maybe some others that I can't recall at the moment. But not Round Table.

About the post by @cdpinhead,

Just asking.

I didn't reply on the license plate thing as we have been over that subject pretty thoroughly, and not that long ago either.

henryn said:

I don't recall ever hearing of a "Round Table Pizza". Around here, we have Papa John's, Domino's, and Caesar's. Maybe some others that I can't recall at the moment. But not Round Table.

About the post by @cdpinhead,

Just asking.

I didn't reply on the license plate thing as we have been over that subject pretty thoroughly, and not that long ago either.

Round Table is a West Coast chain.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I don’t waste my time with national chain store pizza shops. Don’t even like local chain store pizza shops either. I’m a pizza snob and only like locally owned mom/pop pizza shops and very few of them.

jmonroe

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

@jmonroe1 said:
    I don’t waste my time with national chain store pizza shops. Don’t even like local chain store pizza shops either. I’m a pizza snob and only like locally owned mom/pop pizza shops and very few of them.

jmonroe

This x1000

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

We have a small chain in Cincinnati that is great. 11-12 stores, plus another half-dozen in other cities. Dewey's. Of course, we also have a huge local chain (50 stores and 70 years in business), that we thought was great, before we knew better (LaRosa's).

It's amazing how much great pizza is out there, compared to 20 years ago. It's so good, that now I'm a snob, too. Why waste calories on mediocre pizza?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    jmonroe1 said:

@carnaught said:

————————————————

Do you really think it would be safe to allow carte blanche access to every Tom, Dick and Harry to our club? :o

jmonroe

As some people say, negative attention is better than no attention 😔.

@carnaught said:
    As some people say, negative attention is better than no attention 😔.

————————————————
    Nah, although that’s true I don’t wanna hang around folks like that. Maybe after we give them a few shots they’ll come around. :|

jmonroe

We don't get pizza too often...we can't afford the calories with our strict regimens. But, we don't gain weight with a Dominoes thin crust pizza. Though all the chains seem to have cut back on the amount of stuff they put on the pizza.....like they can't spend an extra $1 on ingredients when you are paying $30 for a bunch of dough.
    One chain that is prolific in this area is Hungry Howies, and they have a new item called a No-dough pizza that sounds intriguing.

driver100 said:

We don't get pizza too often...we can't afford the calories with our strict regimens. But, we don't gain weight with a Dominoes thin crust pizza. Though all the chains seem to have cut back on the amount of stuff they put on the pizza.....like they can't spend an extra $1 on ingredients when you are paying $30 for a bunch of dough.
    One chain that is prolific in this area is Hungry Howies, and they have a new item called a No-dough pizza that sounds intriguing.

————————————————
    The day I pay 30 bucks for a pizza that’ll be the day I eat more rib eyes.

FWIW, a pizza without dough ain’t a pizza.

jmonroe

Papa John's has been selling these for a while, they call them "Pizza Bowls".
    andres3 said:

I eat McDonalds only in the winter because there is one literally a two minute walk away from where I do taxes so it's easy to run and get something. Anyway last year I was able to get 2 burgers a small fries and a large coke for under $5. Now two burgers a small fries and a medium coke comes to over $7.

Oh well at least beers at the post only went up a quarter.

jmonroe1 said:

@carnaught said:

————————————————

jmonroe

You mean these guys?

Michaell said:

andres3 said:

When I was in SD recently, I tried to get my sister and her family to go to Round Table - they declined.

Really? I just checked their website and they have no locations anywhere near South Dakota.

Michaell said:

andres3 said:

Really? I just checked their website and they have no locations anywhere near South Dakota.
    In my world, SD = San Diego.

The only time I've stepped foot in South Dakota was to change planes at the Sioux Falls Airport.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Something about the princess and the pea comes to mind.
    question for the computer experts. I am back to being fed up with this cranky slow piece of something.

any thoughts on Acer? Amazon has a good deal on an Inspire 5 (20 GB ram, 512 Gig SSD, latest 3.0mhz 3 chip). most reviews seem pretty good (though as with everything online, mixed in with people that think it is the worst thing ever!)

jmonroe1 said:

@carnaught said:

————————————————

jmonroe

You mean these guys?

————————————————
    Exactly, that’s what I’m afraid of. :'(

jmonroe
    stickguy said:

question for the computer experts. I am back to being fed up with this cranky slow piece of something.

any thoughts on Acer? Amazon has a good deal on an Inspire 5 (20 GB ram, 512 Gig SSD, latest 3.0mhz 3 chip). most reviews seem pretty good (though as with everything online, mixed in with people that think it is the worst thing ever!)

I've always looked at on-line reviews like Olympic scoring - throw out the high and the low, and average the rest.

Probably won't help much, but that's my .02.

How long have you had your current computer? Any sense of how long you plan to keep the new one?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I've always looked at on-line reviews like Olympic scoring - throw out the high and the low, and average the rest.

Probably won't help much, but that's my .02.

How long have you had your current computer? Any sense of how long you plan to keep the new one?
    ————————————————
    You should know by now that he doesn’t have any sense. o:)

jmonroe
    stickguy said:

Acer is actually a fairly old company, in the tech business they are a very old company. They made components for other companies before they started building computers to sell under their own name.

A lot of different brands come out of the same factories in China and Taiwan. A lot like Dodge and Plymouth in the old days.

Dell, HP, and Lenovo are the premium brands these days when it comes to notebook computers. Gateway is down at the bottom, but still decent for the price. Everything else mostly falls somewhere in between.

If the warranty is really important to you, then I would recommend Dell or HP. Both companies provide fairly good warranty support.
  • mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    I am not a big fan of acer. Acer was known for making mother boards. I prefer HP or Dell. Ram not bad as I say minimum should be 16 GB. I am a big fan of 1TB SSD and prefer minimum of i5 or i7 chip. If you look at different sites such as best buy and costco may be able to find a great deal.
    I think I got this laptop (an HP) in about 2015 or so. It's been a while. I hope to keep the next one as close to forever as possible. As long as it works like it is supposed to, no reason to replace it.

Prior to the Dell I got from the girls, I had a Toshiba laptop that I bought from Sam's Club. Had to replace the hard drive in it a few years back, but other than that it worked pretty well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

laptops are cheap enough now to be like TVs. Buy whatever you like the best, and it lasts until it breaks, and you buy a replacement.

stickguy said:

laptops are cheap enough now to be like TVs. Buy whatever you like the best, and it lasts until it breaks, and you buy a replacement.

Just do what I do....if it lasts for 7 years and costs $700, that's only $100 a year. btw, if You buy a cheap one for $350, that's $50 a year. It is probably worth $50 a year more to get the better one.

edited February 2023

Something about the princess and the pea comes to mind.

But what does the princess and the pea have to do with no crust pizza? Or South Dakota and San Diego? Or Acer computers?
    There.....someone replied! :p