Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    speaking of the Mav, ir broke 40 today so I pulled out the hose and got the last batch of salt washed off. Neighbors walking by in winter coats and hats apparently think I am nuts. They might be right.

it looks real shiny though! If I have to live up here in the salt and rust belt, I am not giving up without a fight.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    stickguy said:

speaking of the Mav, ir broke 40 today so I pulled out the hose and got the last batch of salt washed off. Neighbors walking by in winter coats and hats apparently think I am nuts. They might be right.

it looks real shiny though! If I have to live up here in the salt and rust belt, I am not giving up without a fight.

I keep telling you, get the fluid film treatment.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    stickguy said:

I imagine I've developed a reputation in my neighborhood too...if it's in the 40's and there's a need, I'll be out washing cars and cleaning the garage floor.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Cities, states and the federal government are all scrambling to build out the nation's electric-vehicle charging infrastructure, Jennifer A. Kingson writes for Axios What's Next.

Why it matters: EV early adopters were typically wealthy people in single-family homes — where it's relatively easy to install a home charger. Without more public stations, EV adoption is likely to stall.
    What's happening: Cities are passing new building codes and zoning rules to coax — or force — developers to install rapid-charging stations (or at least reserve space for them).

"There's a sense of urgency," Denver Mayor Michael Hancock tells Axios. "We know we've got to get this infrastructure built out."

There's been a drumbeat of announcements from mayors about plans to alleviate "charging deserts" and blanket their cities with stations:

L.A. has been attaching EV charging stations to streetlights — a boon to renters.

Seattle is installing curbside chargers, also aimed at renters.

Denver partnered with Hertz to jump-start the build-out of neighborhood charging stations.

Hoboken, New Jersey, has a deal to install charging stalls that can display revenue-generating digital advertising.

Tucson is among the growing list of cities that require certain new businesses and multifamily dwellings to provide charging stations in their parking lots.

💰 Follow the money: Under President Biden's 2021 infrastructure law, states get $5 billion in federal incentives to build charges. Cities can apply for a share of $2.5 billion in competitive grants.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544

@mjfloyd1 said:

@breld said:
    My wife went to register both the Mach E and the new JCW this morning. I'm sure that was a big check.

That seems so…..permanent 😂

————————————————
    More like a waste of money. :)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@henryn said:
    Cities, states and the federal government are all scrambling to build out the nation's electric-vehicle charging infrastructure, Jennifer A. Kingson writes for Axios What's Next.

Why it matters: EV early adopters were typically wealthy people in single-family homes — where it's relatively easy to install a home charger. Without more public stations, EV adoption is likely to stall.
    What's happening: Cities are passing new building codes and zoning rules to coax — or force — developers to install rapid-charging stations (or at least reserve space for them).

"There's a sense of urgency," Denver Mayor Michael Hancock tells Axios. "We know we've got to get this infrastructure built out."

There's been a drumbeat of announcements from mayors about plans to alleviate "charging deserts" and blanket their cities with stations:

L.A. has been attaching EV charging stations to streetlights — a boon to renters.

Seattle is installing curbside chargers, also aimed at renters.

Denver partnered with Hertz to jump-start the build-out of neighborhood charging stations.

Hoboken, New Jersey, has a deal to install charging stalls that can display revenue-generating digital advertising.

Tucson is among the growing list of cities that require certain new businesses and multifamily dwellings to provide charging stations in their parking lots.

💰 Follow the money: Under President Biden's 2021 infrastructure law, states get $5 billion in federal incentives to build charges. Cities can apply for a share of $2.5 billion in competitive grants.

————————————————
    That’s incentive enough for me to look into how I can incorporate my driveway.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,036
    jmonroe1 said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

@breld said:

My wife went to register both the Mach E and the new JCW this morning. I'm sure that was a big check.

That seems so…..permanent 😂

————————————————

More like a waste of money. :)

jmonroe

Nope. The registration costs can be pro rated to the next vehicle.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Hit 73K on the way home last night. Figure I'll be at around 75K by years end.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    Earlier this week went to local MB dealership to look at preowned CPO C300 2019 with about 20,000 miles. Blue exterior with black interior and night package. Had a lot of exterior scratches and pain issues. Did not like drive as had what I believe is suspension issues especially when making turns. He agreed this was not a good car. They had another C300 2020 just come in off lease with 8,300 miles. Black exterior with saddle color interior. I thought it was a nice looking car. My son liked interior, was okay with wheels, but does not like chrome around door windows. I figured would get this and let him use as I do not drive as much do to traveling. Overall I asked him about this car, but did not like it. He was going to give some money towards down payment and monthly payment. End result was did not get car.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    Kids these days... every piece of trim has to be black. :s

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

He really would not have liked the clapped out contour I got my son….

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    I think we spoiled our son, buying him a Mazda 3 hatch to start. It was 8 years old, of course. He needed it to get to his job while in college. Of course, the job ended shortly after we purchased it due to Covid. Ultimately, he left it to die in a parking lot (IIRC, suspension issue, unsafe to drive) after graduation as he purchased a new Mazda 3 turbo HB.
    I think he finally donated the old 3 to a charity.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    I learned on a 2001 Volvo V70 T5 which went back at end of lease and I drove a 2001 Taurus for 5 years. Don't regret it at all.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

I learned on a 2001 Volvo V70 T5 which went back at end of lease and I drove a 2001 Taurus for 5 years. Don't regret it at all.

I learned on a '72 Lincoln coupe. Took my driver's test in a '74 Coupe DeVille.

My first car was a '70 Galaxie coupe with 113K miles (which is more like 250K miles in present day times). No A/C, black vinyl interior, baby poop tan paint. Paid $650 for it, and put about $300 more to keep it running, and the engine still gave up after six months. That was a fortune in 1976.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    One of my kids, going to be 31, has only driven hand me down Escapes, a 2004 from 2012 until 2016 and a 2013 since then.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    OK, it’s that time of the year again so I got a bill from Sirius XM for each car for $350. There ain’t no way in hell that I’m paying anywhere near that price (paid a couple ticks over a hundred bucks for each car this past year).

So poster buddies, what’s the going rate this year?

jmonroe
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    jmonroe1 said:

OK, it’s that time of the year again so I got a bill from Sirius XM for each car for $350. There ain’t no way in hell that I’m paying anywhere near that price (paid a couple ticks over a hundred bucks for each car this past year).

jmonroe

I have mine set up for monthly payments, $15.50 per month for 2 vehicles. That works out to $93 per year per vehicle.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    I drove my dad's car when he was not using it. Chrysler Newport light orange with white top. I was just happy to have access to car with air conditioning. Today young adults need special wheels and packages. If not then no interest in driving the vehicle.
    Got a shock today in Email. Ford decided to schedule my Mavrick Hybrid for production. Current target week of 4/10. So only roughly 18 months since I originally ordered it! No clue if it will make that date or get pushed back (which is pretty common).

so best case, probably late May it arrives at the dealer. So I have about 3 months to decide what to do with it. Should be fun adding that to the mix of deciding whether to work any more or not!

@jmonroe1,
    I'm paying about the same as henryn, although more subscriptions.
    Call them and tell them you want to cancel because the price is too high, is there anything they can do?
    henryn said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

I have mine set up for monthly payments, $15.50 per month for 2 vehicles. That works out to $93 per year per vehicle.
    ————————————————
    Thanks for the response but something tells me you have automatic deduction from your checking account each month for that price. I refuse to give anyone access to my checking account. I know it’s antiquated but I still pay all bills by mail. Sirius XM charges 2 bucks to mail a bill and I’m fine with that.

Thanks again.

jmonroe

@jmonroe1,
    Call them and tell them you want to cancel because the price is too high, is there anything they can do?

————————————————
    Thanks for the response but I do call every year to cancel and I then get a better rate. I just don’t know what the going rate is this year.

jmonroe
    I hope I remembered to put the reminder in my phone to call before my subscription expires and they convert me to full price monthly. They never seem to bother to let you know that is happening!

jmonroe1 said:

@jmonroe1,

————————————————
    Thanks for the response but I do call every year to cancel and I then get a better rate. I just don’t know what the going rate is this year.

jmonroe
    In May, I paid right around $90 for a year, upfront. (including all the fees) On a credit card. All you have to do is to call the next year, once you get the notice. Easy.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I put my Sirius bill on a credit card, too.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349

I think we spoiled our son, buying him a Mazda 3 hatch to start. It was 8 years old, of course. He needed it to get to his job while in college. Of course, the job ended shortly after we purchased it due to Covid. Ultimately, he left it to die in a parking lot (IIRC, suspension issue, unsafe to drive) after graduation as he purchased a new Mazda 3 turbo HB.
    I think he finally donated the old 3 to a charity.

My son learned on a 2004 X3; from there he went to the 1975 2002. He then took the same X3 to college and my wife got a 2009 328i. She really never bonded with the 328i so she decided to swap it for her old X3. When my son bought the 2018 328i he decided to keep the 2009 328i as well.
    Like father like son...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    edited February 2023
    My first car was a handed-down 81 Toyota Tercel with a 5 speed. In gold over beige vinyl seats. It was the M2 Comp of its day.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

@explorerx4 said:
    I put my Sirius bill on a credit card, too.

Are you Sirius?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Smart move by Mini. there is still a market. Might not be huge, but it is loyal. Since Mini is just a niche brand anyway, perfect fit.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

$0.

Pandora is free and has fewer commercials.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    stickguy said:

I hope I remembered to put the reminder in my phone to call before my subscription expires and they convert me to full price monthly. They never seem to bother to let you know that is happening!

That;s because their entire business model is based upon them being scamsters. Just one of the most scummy outfits around. I refuse to deal with them.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    breld said:

Do you pay taxes on vehicles you cycle within the same year?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    xwesx said:

breld said:

Do you pay taxes on vehicles you cycle within the same year?
    Taxes are paid as part of the registration - if the car is traded in, that registration and tax amount is pro-rated against the next vehicle.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

kyfdx said:

jmonroe1 said:

@jmonroe1,

————————————————

jmonroe
    In May, I paid right around $90 for a year, upfront. (including all the fees) On a credit card. All you have to do is to call the next year, once you get the notice. Easy.
    ————————————————
    Thanks. I should have mentioned I don’t give my CC number to anyone either. I know I can call to cancel the next year when using a CC but I don’t want to go through that. For me it’s much easier to get the ridiculous bill each year and putting up with the dance of calling for a better rate.

FWIW, I seem to remember when I called last year I could have gotten a 90 something dollar rate if I agreed to giving them my CC number but for a few bucks more I want to be in full control.

If I don’t forget, I’m calling them tomorrow and doing the yearly dance.

jmonroe
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    I renewed initial SXM contract for $6.99 + fees, of course/mo. CC billing, so I get cash back on that, woohoo.
    I'm a lifelong cc user, no real issues to report. Knock my head.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907

Gave Sirius up in the truck, too many other (better) options through my phone

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    tjc78 said:

Gave Sirius up in the truck, too many other (better) options through my phone

I used it for many years. They finally made me angry enough to cancel. I thought I would miss it. I don't.

The new BMW has free it for a year, I have not used it.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

edited February 2023
    If I end up with the new truck, it will have XM (with probably the usual 3 month free period). I still prefer that because I don't like having to mess around with my phone when I get in the car. I like to turn it on and just have the radio, and I can flip through stations from the steering wheel. Only bother with any streaming if we are going on a longer trip (not very often).

running around local, in the Maverick, I actually just listen to FM. it is fine for short trips. if there is nothing interesting or I end up in the boondocks, just flip over to the USB stick with about 3,000 songs.

My wife's car has the Sirius/XM, so it's up to me to get the best price. Not to make a value judgment.

After taking my VW to the dealer in October, I got a free 90 day trial (which ended up running for 105 days), and it was nice. But, not worth $7.50/mo, to me. I'm only driving 500 miles/month, so I'm just not in the car that much to care.

I have some music apps on my phone, and my car has CarPlay, so I'm covered, but I generally don't bother with it. I do wish it had a CD player, though.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    kyfdx said:

I do wish it had a CD player, though.

Is that just to confuse the young folks who look at it and say "what they heck is that?!"

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

kyfdx said:

I do wish it had a CD player, though.

Is that just to confuse the young folks who look at it and say "what they heck is that?!"
    I would actually like to play one that I have. Pretty sure all the "young" folk I know still remember CDs. No grandkids, yet.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907

@venture said:
    How about the kid who complained about the phone charger scratching his screen and not charging it?

I don't know if it's true or not, but it's still funny. :#

Look at that nice old Ford radio with large easy buttons lol

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

We have 4 cars and only 2 have Sirius radio. One of the cars may switch the subscription or may cancel it depending on renewal price.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    edited February 2023
    kyfdx said:

I learned on a '72 Lincoln coupe. Took my driver's test in a '74 Coupe DeVille.

My first car was a '70 Galaxie coupe with 113K miles (which is more like 250K miles in present day times). No A/C, black vinyl interior, baby poop tan paint. Paid $650 for it, and put about $300 more to keep it running, and the engine still gave up after six months. That was a fortune in 1976.
    I learned to drive on a 66’ Dodge Polara wagon. It was great for loading about 10 teens for the nightly cruise to nowhere. Everyone chipped in 25 cents for gas.

My first car was a 69’ Plymouth which I ran longer than any car until I got my F-150 for work years later (159k and 250k respectively).

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible