Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,054

I could see the character ‘George’ driving a Seville, too.

I always thought ‘Mother Jefferson’ was a real scene-stealer. She was great.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    edited February 2023
    Pulled up behind this today. Worked hard, and put away wet.

To be fair, it was an old one--the front fenders have that 'phallic' look with a large arched feature line over the front wheel openings....the way I think front fenders of C3 Corvettes also look 'phallic', LOL.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057

To be fair, it was an old one--the front fenders have that 'phallic' look with a large arched feature line over the front wheel openings....the way I think front fenders of C3 Corvettes also look 'phallic', LOL.

A truck .. that looks like it's been used like a truck. Can't fault that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092

Might have 500K on it, might just be a casualty of the climate and Toyota truck rustproofing. No older than 1995 whatever it is.
    After looking online, I think the newest that truck could be would be MY2004.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024

From the angle of that bed in relation to the cab, it looks like his frame has succumbed to the Toyota pickup disaese. a.k.a. rust-out.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    One of my neighbors has one of those little Toyota trucks. I've only seen it from a distance, but I think it's actually the generation before the Tacoma. It's been sitting in the same spot in their yard for some time now, but I have seen it move. From a distance it looks good. But, sitting outside in the same spot, on the ground (vs a driveway) and under the trees, I imagine it's not going to look good forever.
    I remember seeing '80's to '90's Toyota pickups around here running, but with about the bottom 1/3 or 1/4 of the bodies and/or beds, just gone.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

I love the basic styling, but that hood scoop...ugh.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    I actually really like this one. Probably the 6 speed! Agreed that the scoop is a bit much but at least it is functional.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

cool car. I just couldn't imagine driving it on a regular basis with the wheel on the wrong side.

Saw a RHD 90s Toyota Hilux Surf (aka 4Runner) in traffic today.

Speaking of Tacomas, my brother bought this in 2021 - I think it's an 02 or 03, local car since new so zero rust, will probably last forever in the western WA climate:

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Passed a near-new looking Pontiac Aztec on the way to work.
    If that Tacoma is a 5 speed and truly rust free, I would love to have it. though with the absurd prices on old trucks like this might cost as much as a new Maverick.

but if I found an actual clean(ish) used smaller truck for a decent price I would consider getting that and putting the rest of the new car money into a used sports (or sporty) toy car.

It's an automatic. He paid about 10K for it, and was thrilled to find it - these things get snapped up fast in this region. So far very few issues, I think the biggest being a door handle cable (I think) broke so he couldn't open the driver's door from inside or outside - typical random age-related issue. No mechanical issues that I know of.
    edited March 2023
    andre, don't know you to be a wagon fan, but here's a '67 Pontiac Executive Safari, same year as your convertible, on BaT.

Friends' parents had a silver '67 Executive Safari, with black interior just like this one, that was traded for a new '71 Ford Custom Ranch Wagon in a pale light green exactly like that used on '79 GM cars--yuck.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-pontiac-safari-wagon-2/?fbclid=IwAR0rDMAyR8y6nZWMO4xV4Y8lm6XIPaDcl92t1m7gGLi6imAMInFfGwh4syk
    Executive Safari to a Ranch Wagon - that's a demotion

andre, don't know you to be a wagon fan, but here's a '67 Pontiac Executive Safari, same year as your convertible, on BaT.

Friends' parents had a silver '67 Executive Safari, with black interior just like this one, that was traded for a new '71 Ford Custom Ranch Wagon in a pale light green exactly like that used on '79 GM cars--yuck.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-pontiac-safari-wagon-2/?fbclid=IwAR0rDMAyR8y6nZWMO4xV4Y8lm6XIPaDcl92t1m7gGLi6imAMInFfGwh4syk

edited March 2023
    No kidding. That Pontiac was beautiful, but I do remember the mom saying it was a lemon. They had bought it used. The Ford they bought new.
    Wagons usually don't excite me much, although I do prefer them to minivans or SUVs...even if those two tend to be more practical. But that '67 Safari is nice! Funny how the carpeting is fading like that. At a quick glance, it almost looks like a goldish-brown, but I think it actually was black, and faded to that. The black carpeting in my convertible is original, could stand replacing, and in certain spots/viewed from certain angles and lighting, you can see a bit of a brownish tint here and there.

Funny your friends parents went to a '71 Ford, afterward, as they were both styled by "Bunkie" Knudsen, who from what I've heard, did not like you to call him by his first name :p
    Here's something odd I ran across on Facebook. Let's see if this link works...
    https://www.facebook.com/TheNBCenter/posts/pfbid0ZTM6TAmBGbEn5GjX4KxMAMkdCS1vPgWe6SpBJeXP6Aya6b1RMsmeriwrY8AWVwnRl

Supposedly it was one of those Iraqi taxis, with the 3-speed floor shift, but this one's a 1980 Century!
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    Definitely not one of the Iraqibus. That is just what GM was trying to sell in those days and somebody actually bought one. Strange bird for sure.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited March 2023
    What an oddball; I really like the weird stuff like that.

I don't believe I've even seen a photo, yet one in real life--a 3-speed GM mid-size--later than a '79.

Too bad the Buick's been 'hillbillied' up with a spotlight and the aftermarket body side molding. You can always tell the latter, if not by position, by the vinyl insert not going the whole way into the pointed end of the bright-metal base.

I like the looks of the 3-speed shifters in those RWD mid-sizes. Our '73 Nova had a smaller 'ball' at the top, and it was flat-colored black--not as sharp at all.

That Century has an optional interior or trim level of some type, with the straps on the doors and center armrest, as well. I'm sure the base Century didn't have those things.
    Funny your friends parents went to a '71 Ford, afterward, as they were both styled by "Bunkie" Knudsen, who from what I've heard, did not like you to call him by his first name

I can certainly see why. "Bunkie" sounds great in comparison.
    I'm surprised GM even offered the 3-speed manual with the Century by that time. On one hand, it would have appealed to a few cheapskates, and those few who enjoyed a manual transmission. But I don't think either of those two groups was the typical Buick buyer. Even more surprisingly, looking at the EPA tables, for 1980, the Century 231 only gets a city rating of 16 with the stick, and 20 with the auto. For whatever reason, the tables only show the city number in 1979-80, but going back to 1978, it was 16/28 with the stick and 19/27 with the automatic. The combined number, which is what I think they used for CAFE purposes, was 22 for the auto, 19 for the stick.

So, every one of those stick shifts sold brought their CAFE numbers down, increasing the chances of a fine, PLUS, it was most likely a very low profit car. I just don't see the up-side there, to offering it.

Now with the small 196 (3.2) V6 offered in 1978-79, the stick did a bit better. For '78 it was 19/33 (23 combined), while the auto was a somewhat piggish 18/26 (21 combined). This makes me question whether there was really any advantage to even offering that 3.2 V6 in the first place? Seems to me there's added production costs, from offering two different engines. Yet, I'd imagine that it doesn't cost any more to make a 231, compared to a 196. It's not like the 231 has any advanced technology compared to the 196...it's just a larger displacement. Considering the majority of these cars were sold with an automatic, I'm sure that the 196 actually hurt the CAFE averages, overall. So again, it just doesn't make sense to me, looking back.

The only reason I can think of, is that the Malibu started off with a 200 (3.3) V6, so maybe GM did this to make the cars more comparable? Interestingly, neither the LeMans/Grand Prix, nor the Cutlass Salon/Supreme ever messed around with those tiny V6es...they started off with the 231 as the base.

Also, with the Malibu and the 200 V6, the manual actually did get good fuel economy: 21/29 (24 combined) vs 19/25 (21 combined) for the automatic. With the 229 in 1980, the manual got a city rating of 20, vs 19 for the automatic, so there was some improvement. I wonder why the 231 with the stick was a comparative guzzler, yet with the 196 and the Chevy engines, it was more economical than the automatics?

But, I guess a lot of things probably made sense at the time, that might be easy to second-guess, decades later. For instance, maybe offering those tiny engines, and stick shifts, meant they could advertise a really low base price, to lure you into the showroom, and then upsell you?

In 1978, the Malibu sedan started at $4276. The LeMans was $4512, and the Century was $4520. The Cutlass Salon was $4543. In 1977, when the base engines were a bit more equal (250 for the Chevy, 231 for the others, the base prices for sedans were: $3935 Malibu, $4105 LeMans, $4364 Century, $4387 Cutlass S. Kinda interesting, that in '77 the LeMans seemed priced about mid-way between the Malibu and the Century/Cutlass, but for '78 it was moved upward, to just $8 less than the Century and $31 less than the Cutlass. The spread between cheapest and most expensive actually narrowed for '78, so I guess that kills my theory about the smaller engines and lower advertised prices.
    edited March 2023
    Interesting observations as always, andre.

I have never, ever seen a '78 or later Malibu Classic with the 3-speed. They offered it, but even fewer people bought them than the base Malibu. I've said this before; I like the '78 Malibu Classic styling, in and out (requirement: optional gauge package and 50/50 front seat), but to me, that 3.3 is a deal-breaker. Or, it was then. I might be able to deal with one today as a hobby car, since the 3-speed is interesting to me. But today probably as much of a unicorn as that Century sedan.

I've mentioned this here before, but now, I could enjoy a '78 Cutlass Salon Brougham two-door fastback. I like the detail styling better than the Century. I'd actually prefer it to the Supreme of that year, mostly because it's much-less-seen. Now that I think about it, I like the Century instrument panel better than the Cutlass, but the exterior of the Cutlass looks nicer to me.
    edited March 2023
    Yeah that's one thing I've noticed, as I get older, I find that I'm a bit more tolerant of engines that I would have never considered back in the day. I think part of it is that even slow cars today are going to be faster than even the quickest engines in some of those old cars, so by modern standards, they're all "slow". And in a masochistic sort of way, I guess, I'm really curious to try out some of those smaller engines, to see just how slow they really were!

In my opinion, the holy grail of those under-sized engines would probably be a '76 LeSabre with the 231 V6. Another I'd be curious to try is an '80-81 R-body with the slant six. It was choked down to 85-90 hp in those years, and I'm sure it HAD to be a dog in those big cars. But, maybe not. I believe I've seen old Consumer Guide tests that put something like a Diplomat or Mirada at around 16-17 seconds in 0-60. They were a bit on the heavy side for what was supposed to be a midsized car, so the engine probably wasn't much worse in something like a Newport or St. Regis. Meanwhile, I remember them quoting something like 18 seconds for an 81 or 82 Cutlass Supreme with the 260 V8. Although, Olds hobbled the 260 with a tall ~2.29:1 axle, whereas Mopar used a 2.94:1 with the slant six in those RWD cars, so that probably fixed some of the disparity.

I'd also be curious to see what a Malibu with the 3.3 was really like. I don't remember my Mom's 1980 Malibu, with its 229 V6, being bad, but I'm also remembering it through the eyes of a teenager who was just grateful to have a car. And back then there were still plenty of cars around that were much worse/slower. But who knows? If I drove it today, I might not remember it so fondly.
    I'm not a fan of the aerobacks in general, but for some reason, I don't mind the Cutlass Salon, with the right color/options. And as long as it at least has the 260, which was durable at least.

The Century just never looked right to me. Something about the front-end in 1978-79, I didn't care for. It's like it was too flat, or featureless, or something like that. I thought the 1980-81 front-end was nice, and looked great with the new notchback roof of the sedan. But the '80 Century coupe, still just didn't look quite right. That nice new front just didn't work with the rest of the car. It's like the automotive equivalent of a mullet...business up front, party in the back.
    Aeroback 442 is where it's at, go full 70s:

Speaking of small engines, I notice V6s in some ~1980 cars in this compilation, must have been amusingly leisurely:

https://youtu.be/5fwKcd8KmuM

edited March 2023
    Among the aerobacks, I think the 4-4-2 is about as good as it got. Those rally wheels, and the black and gold paint really set it off.

As awkward as aerobacks were, I can almost see GM's rationale for trying them. If you look at a Cutlass S coupe from 1977, or the base Century, if you didn't get the opera window, the overall shape is definitely fastback-ish. Especially, if you view the '77, and the '78-80 style side by side, I can see the evolution...I flipped the '77 442 here, so that it's easier to compare side-by-side.

I think GM still wanted to go for a fastback look, but on the downsized body, it was stubbier, and took on more of a hatchback proportion. The desire to have good headroom in the back seat was probably a factor, as well.

With the '78 Malibu and LeMans coupes, I can see them as a bit of an evolution of the large-window coupes as well, although they took it in a more notchback direction.

Considering that opera windows were all the rage back then, it's interesting that GM went in the direction of full windows on their downsized coupes, rather than those little slits. By 1976-77, the large, triangular windows weren't that popular anymore on the Colonades. In fact, the LeMans dropped them entirely for '76.
    I don't like big graphics of that period, though. A gal I knew in college, whom I still see once a year, lived in dorm room 442 and liked those late '70's 442's with the big graphics. She wanted one (only child). Her Dad bought her a '68. She was disappointed! LOL. Amazingly, she still has it. She's widowed now. It's a dark maroon car with red buckets inside, floor shift automatic, black vinyl top, and the full wheel covers as would be seen on an 'S' or Supreme. I looked at the numbers tag and it is a real 442. It has factory A/C and was built at Oshawa, Ontario. Her cousin was doing a pretty complete freshening up of it; he died; she found another shop which has had it like three years or something.
    This Century Turbo Coupe was on 'All Original Cars' on FB a couple days ago. It's an interest slantback; I even kind-of like that color on the mid-size GM's that year. OK, I can't stand the bird on the front fender! It has aftermarket body side moldings too. It has bucket seats but no console, and column-shift automatic. 44K miles. I can't think when I've last seen one.
    May be an image of car and outdoors
    I like this one but would like it better in either that orangish color as on that Century Turbo Coupe, or the very dark maroon they had in '78:

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon, Gateway Classic Cars Philadelphia - #372
    edited March 2023
    'Course, I could like this '78 Malibu Classic too.
    Two Weeks in a 1978 Chevrolet Malibu: Things Don't Always Go ...

I always thought that in the same vein I like the '64 Studebaker Daytona two-door hardtop, I like these Malibus as I think there isn't an ounce of fat in the styling. I think the added length in front of the front wheel opening on the Cutlass Salon is visible in comparison to the Malibu. Not a negative, just an observation.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    edited March 2023

@uplanderguy said:
    I don't like big graphics of that period, though. A gal I knew in college, whom I still see once a year, lived in dorm room 442 and liked those late '70's 442's with the big graphics. She wanted one (only child). Her Dad bought her a '68. She was disappointed! LOL. Amazingly, she still has it. She's widowed now. It's a dark maroon car with red buckets inside, floor shift automatic, black vinyl top, and the full wheel covers as would be seen on an 'S' or Supreme. I looked at the numbers tag and it is a real 442. It has factory A/C and was built at Oshawa, Ontario. Her cousin was doing a pretty complete freshening up of it; he died; she found another shop which has had it like three years or something.

I am partial to the 68 Cutlass as my grandmother special ordered hers rather buy one off the lot. Sounds like a sharp 442.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Revisiting the Century aeroback, I'll admit I do kind of like this '80 turbo coupe...

It has what I think of as the "improved" front end, with the more vertical grille and raked-back headlight area, but it's made to look sportier than the other models, which had more of an upscale look to them. And I like how the spoiler helps town down that hatchback look a bit.
    I like that front end better than the '78 and '79, too.
    Worst '70's GM graphics IMHO:
    Own The Road In A 1974 Chevrolet Nova SS
    I actually like that downsized 442. Assuming of course it comes in a manual.

My favorite domestic of the era (don't laugh) outside of a couple AMCs is the one year only '74 GTO based on the Pheonix. With the 350/shaker and stick combo.

That '67 Executive Safari sold for $16K today.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-pontiac-safari-wagon-2/
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

Worst '70's GM graphics IMHO:
    Own The Road In A 1974 Chevrolet Nova SS

Did you forget about the Heavy Chevy? All show- NO go...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849

I> @uplanderguy said:

This Century Turbo Coupe was on 'All Original Cars' on FB a couple days ago. It's an interest slantback; I even kind-of like that color on the mid-size GM's that year. OK, I can't stand the bird on the front fender! It has aftermarket body side moldings too. It has bucket seats but no console, and column-shift automatic. 44K miles. I can't think when I've last seen one.

I hate that segmented whitewall. I remember when they came out, saying what are they thinking?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

The Heavy Chevy I think could be had with engines up to the 400 (I'd have to check), but the package itself was stripes, and was available on only the base-model Chevelle, with a strippo interior including rubber on the floor. But what I hate about the '74 Nova SS is the sheer size of the decals.

The 'Rally Nova' was the Nova equivalent of the 'Heavy Chevy', to my eyes better than that '74 Nova SS.
    decal trim "sporty" packages are nothing new.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    The Pontiac T-37 GT could be a stripped down GTO.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Yes, the "GT-37".
    There's something just psychologically wrong in my mind, for a full-size, RWD Coupe deVille to be a V6, LOL. I do like that the 'V6' front fender emblem is miniscule next to what they put there from '81 to '83 for V8's.
    A few years ago, Consumer Guide did a "10 slowest cars (that they tested) from 1981." Here's the link...
    https://blog.consumerguide.com/the-10-slowest-cars-of-1981/

They tested a Fleetwood with the 4.1, and got 0-60 in 22.6 seconds. Interestingly, they also tested an Electra and it was "only" 18.3 seconds.

Take some of those specs they include with the articles with a grain of salt, though. For instance, these cars used a 4-speed automatic, not a 3-speed. At least, according to the EPA. And there's no way in hell that they'd use a 2.41:1 with an engine that weak, in a car of that heft. I also question whether the Fleetwood Brougham really weighed 4250lb as tested. I just checked my auto encyclopedia, and 4250 is the weight they list for it. BUT the 368 was standard. I think the writer just quoted one of their auto encyclopedias when he got that GVWR. As for that 3-speed/2.41:1 axle, that was probably for the V8-6-4.

Interestingly, the DeVille averaged 19.0 mpg, vs 17.2 for the Electra. That seems like a bit of a disparity to me, but I don't know how consistent Consumer Guide was, in their fuel economy testing, like if they'd use the same route/course/driving style, etc.

I have a 1985 Consumer Guide that has a test of a Fleetwood Brougham with the 4.1/249 V8, and by then they got 0-60 down to about 14.8 seconds. But, 14.8 is also the fuel economy they got! FWIW, this particular example they tested was 4,034 lb. It used a 4-speed automatic and 3.42:1 axle.

I've had that Consumer Guide since it was new, and as a kid used to think it was sad, how slow that little 249 was. But after seeing some of these slower tests, it gives me a new respect for that engine!
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    edited March 2023

In the 80s for being a flagship car manufacturer Cadillac really had crappy engine choices. Elsewhere in the GM line there were better options.

For example…they made an Eldorado “Touring” at one point. Why wouldn’t they have tried to put the turbo 3.8 in there from the Regal T-type/Grand National

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve