Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Road Trip!

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,168
    Back home, driving here is different from in the Ohio Valley and whatever they call the area to the south (Tennessee Valley? Upper South?). I'd find driving around Cinci or Indy or Louisville, people go 15-20 over on the highway and similar in town. Back here, a 25 mph residential street will see 40 mph traffic, a 45 mph wide arterial will see either 35 or 60, and a 60 mph highway will see 59 or 80. I think I might have tooted the horn once on the whole trip, while here I ended up doing it thrice in an hour (cut off twice - both out of state vehicles, which is par for the course, and trying to wake up a Lexus RX going 15 in a 30).
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    I did a day trip to Anchorage (Eagle River) with the kids today. Took the Forester (2013), which I just picked up from a friend we let borrow it in early August. It was a good trip, speeds steady at around 65, roads mostly clear, and a crazy blizzard-style snow storm through Wasilla and into Eagle River at around noon as we approached our destination.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    AdamCollins70AdamCollins70 Member Posts: 3
    And we are going to go on a road trip through the national parks Tennessee, and perhaps follow the example of the author, take a tent, a guitar, and we will roast food on the fire in the evening, all have a great summer and good trips!
  • Options
    I need a road trip. I don't get one, though. Not yet.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Have a couple of trips coming up next month.
    First up to Madison WI area to visit one of the kids.
    Should be interesting, 6 of us including a 1 and 4 year old in the Explorer.
    425 miles or so one way.
    At the end of the month, headed to Hatteras NC for a week, just the 2 of us for this trip.
    Others are in their own vehicles.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,923

We get a road trip in December. South Jersey to New Orleans for a Christmas Week Cruise.

NCL did just add another itinerary on a very nice ship out of Port Canaveral which is a little closer and we could then do a few days at Disney before it. Need to make a decision soon

Reason we are driving is, I don’t want any parts of the airport Christmas week with two young kids. They really enjoy being in the car so figured it would be cool to take a long drive. We haven’t done so as a family.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,153
    Short road trip in late July to Milwaukee, with a brief stop in Chicago on the way home. That's only about 13 hours R/T.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited June 2023

Actually did a quick trip for work yesterday, from Wildwood NJ to Stamford CT. Essentially drove the Garden State PWY from one end of the state clear through up into NY.. over the Tappan Zee… oh wait Cuomo bridge into CT. Saw a nasty, nasty accident on 287. I’d be stunned if the poor driver made it. It was a city truck (cab over wheels) that rear ended a semi. The driver’s side of the truck was unrecognizable. There were 4 fire engines, multiple ambulances and at least a dozen police cars. Sad.

Took the XC90, adaptive cruise most of the way and Pilot Assist a good portion. Very relaxing drive (as relaxing as that area can be). Pilot assist is great if you are trying to grab a quick bite in the car.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,289
    It will always be the Tappan Zee to me...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

There are still some signs that say Tappan Zee

• Options
    Going out to the coast in a few weeks, with a couple stops along the way. Might be a 1000 mile round trip.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    I remember the old Tappen Zee as a kid, we lived on the New York side. Last time I was on it was in 2006 on a road trip from White Plains to Baltimore. Took me across it before heading south in New Jersey. I still hope to do one more trip to the New York area eventually, hopefully in October, so I can see the leaves change color and experience some cooler weather.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    A short trip, today..
    Check out that MPG!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Nice !

On my last trip with the Ram I actually got it to 19.2 MPG.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Took the Tiguan 4-Motion off-roading at Big Bear, CA. Lots of off-road JEEP Country trails around the lake and mountains. It did well, and the recently purchased Bridgestone M&S rated all-season tires are pretty aggressive for a street A/S SUV tire.

Still, I feel like the All Track was better off-roading because it was a lot lighter, and seemed to absorb the bounces a bit more comfortably even without having lowered the tire air pressures. Will definitely lower the tire pressures for the next off-road adventure. The Tiguan has a slightly higher ride height though with beefier sidewall tires.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Back from our trip to Madison WI to visit one of the kids.
    On Sunday we walked around part of the campus for a couple hours.
    Some pictures inside some of the office buildings.

• Options
    Quite a staircase!

If that first photo doesn't mess with your sense of reality, nothing will.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Just say no to drugs, kids. 😮

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    @ab348,
    That's one of my favorite rooms. Alice in Wonderland theme in the Fairy Tail building.
    Our soon to be 4 year old grandson was really confused.
  • Options
    The craziest thing I saw was this pulled over on an exit ramp by the OSP.

• Options
    Looks to be a Chrysler Windsor maybe about 1955 or so. We had one of those in a station wagon when I was a kid. Have a vivid memory of getting my hand stuck in the door when my grandma closed it . That kind of sharp pain at that young of an age stays with ya! But our station wagon as a light blue color and was very big but hey, we were a family of six by then and needed something big. I guess the business was doing very good by 1960 as by then, my mom got a Cadillac Sedan de Ville as her d d. It was a dark gray color & only one other family had the same exact color in town. We lived in a pretty small "village" in New York.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Midway into the road trip, weather is fine and the wagon has delivered around 30 mpg on the highway, not bad. Traversed White Pass yesterday, and being a weekend had less chances of getting stuck behind a log truck (commercial semis seldom use the route). Plenty of dopes out though, highlights were a trying to be cool but missing the mark Can-Am type 3 wheeler with a passenger, going 5-10 under so the passenger can take photos (surprised they didn't get pitted off a cliff - they eventually got onto a side road) and a moron in a CRV who was going 10+ under and pulled over to let people pass - on a blind sharp corner, "driver" was holding his phone to either talk or take a video. What a society.
  • Options
    Back from the trip. Maybe a little more than 1000 miles (forgot to check the odometer). Nice to be home - worst jam I have ever seen on I5 NB in Olympia, added about 2.5 hours to my trip thanks to a jackknifed truck and a painfully slow cleanup/investigation (Lanes closed for think around 9 hours, traffic eventually stopped for about 15 miles, pretty uncool WSDOT). Saw plenty of insanity on the road, not surprised that the wackiest areas are Yakima and Grays Harbor, which have to be at least as crazy as Spokane, but in their own way. Other than the I5 cluster, roads were fine - interstates flowing freely and rural state highways were fine - had to go through some fresh chipseal (the lowest bidder el cheapo road surface favorite here) which thankfully had no loose gravel and very little oil. Car probably averaged around 30 mpg on the highway, which is fine.
  • Options
    fintail said:

Back from the trip. Maybe a little more than 1000 miles (forgot to check the odometer). Nice to be home - worst jam I have ever seen on I5 NB in Olympia, added about 2.5 hours to my trip thanks to a jackknifed truck and a painfully slow cleanup/investigation (Lanes closed for think around 9 hours, traffic eventually stopped for about 15 miles, pretty uncool WSDOT). Saw plenty of insanity on the road, not surprised that the wackiest areas are Yakima and Grays Harbor, which have to be at least as crazy as Spokane, but in their own way. Other than the I5 cluster, roads were fine - interstates flowing freely and rural state highways were fine - had to go through some fresh chipseal (the lowest bidder el cheapo road surface favorite here) which thankfully had no loose gravel and very little oil. Car probably averaged around 30 mpg on the highway, which is fine.

Economy like that seems like a major bonus given everything it has to offer!

I've never quite understood why the emergency services are so willing to allow crashes to snarl traffic to horrifying degrees. Sure, there's going to be some level of delay while dealing with injuries, but the priority should be consolidating the debris and getting a reasonable flow restored to the rest of traffic.

Particularly when there's a fatality, it's like the most important thing in the world becomes a corpse that doesn't care how long you take to, or even if you, investigate the "why." Whereas everyone that's living...? Doesn't matter if you're sitting on the interstate for hours or if you're at increased risk for injury or death due to being out there. Nope - gotta take our time with these things!
  • Options
    xwesx said:

fintail said:

I've never quite understood why the emergency services are so willing to allow crashes to snarl traffic to horrifying degrees. Sure, there's going to be some level of delay while dealing with injuries, but the priority should be consolidating the debris and getting a reasonable flow restored to the rest of traffic.

Particularly when there's a fatality, it's like the most important thing in the world becomes a corpse that doesn't care how long you take to, or even if you, investigate the "why." Whereas everyone that's living...? Doesn't matter if you're sitting on the interstate for hours or if you're at increased risk for injury or death due to being out there. Nope - gotta take our time with these things!
    Real simple - legal liability. Gotta collect all the facts and document the scene in case of any future legal action.

When my dad was a fire captain, he responded to an auto-vs-train collision at a busy intersection. As he was surveying the scene, he instructed one of the fireman to put sheets over the pieces of the car that he found, ostensibly for that purpose.

Except, one of the pieces of the car started screaming when it was done. Turns out the driver, a young female, was ejected from the car, and the gas tank landed next to her before exploding. She survived three days in the burn unit before succumbing to her injuries.

You can bet there were lawsuits - against Amtrak, against the railroad who owned the right of way, the state, the city, pretty much everyone. My dad had to testify extensively in the trial(s). I also remember he had to spend a couple of nights in the hospital from the trauma of that night.

I'm sorry hundreds or thousands of people were inconvenienced by the accident on I-5, but I firmly believe that emergency services need to do a thorough job of documenting everything before moving any of the vehicles involved.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    I see what you're saying. However, I think we should push toward better screening of frivolous lawsuits. We all silently agree, every day, that we may die out there on the roads in order to have the convenience of such rapid travel. Yeah, we forget that when people die, but we shouldn't, and we should have reminders when we do forget.
  • Options
    xwesx said:

I see what you're saying. However, I think we should push toward better screening of frivolous lawsuits. We all silently agree, every day, that we may die out there on the roads in order to have the convenience of such rapid travel. Yeah, we forget that when people die, but we shouldn't, and we should have reminders when we do forget.

That's a different issue altogether. But, I suppose "frivolous" is in the eye of the beholder, right?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Not so much... it is just not in the eye of the involved party(ies). When the greater good is wilfullly disregarded, it is rarely the right call.
  • Options
    A couple of things that happened in my life.
    When I was in High School my friends parents had 4 tickets to the local AHL hockey team.
    I got to go to quite a few games with them, parents, my friend and I.
    One time it was four youngsters going to the game. My friend and I were still too young to drive.
    While we were on the main street waiting to turn in to park, I saw a girl crossing the street and said "She's going to get hit".
    A light metallic blue 66 BelAir or Biscyanne sedan hit her and she ended up underneath the car.
    Some people ran out and lifted the car and pulled her out from underneath.
    After the game, I called the police and reported what I saw.
    A detective called and basically cursed me out because they had 5 other witnesses that contradicted my report.
    A couple of days later, he called to apologize because after speaking to her she corroborated my story.
    It's not easy to get the facts. and it's important
  • Options
    xwesx said:

fintail said:

No fatalities - wouldn't have even made the news without the traffic jam. They also had to call in some heavy equipment to move the damaged vehicles, but that doesn't take forever. I understand the need to document everything thoroughly, but with modern imaging technology, I can't imagine that it would require virtually shutting down one of the busiest stretches on the west coast for 9 hours to gather data. Just like with local roadworks, I don't get a sense of urgency from certain segments.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    fintail said:

xwesx said:

fintail said:

No fatalities - wouldn't have even made the news without the traffic jam. They also had to call in some heavy equipment to move the damaged vehicles, but that doesn't take forever. I understand the need to document everything thoroughly, but with modern imaging technology, I can't imagine that it would require virtually shutting down one of the busiest stretches on the west coast for 9 hours to gather data. Just like with local roadworks, I don't get a sense of urgency from certain segments.
    You hit the nail on the head. Gov't workers are slow and inefficient, and worse, they have no hustle. Speaking of hustle, I get why people like Discount Tires/America's Tires, if any other branches are like the one in San Diego on Mission Gorge, those young guys are truly hustling! Had 4 tires dismounted, 4 new ones mounted and balanced in about 40 minutes! Best I've seen.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    andres3 said:

fintail said:

xwesx said:

fintail said:

You hit the nail on the head. Gov't workers are slow and inefficient, and worse, they have no hustle. Speaking of hustle, I get why people like Discount Tires/America's Tires, if any other branches are like the one in San Diego on Mission Gorge, those young guys are truly hustling! Had 4 tires dismounted, 4 new ones mounted and balanced in about 40 minutes! Best I've seen.
    I'll commend roadworks around Seattle for usually having a sense of urgency - they would often work double shifts or nights/weekends for repairs on key routes. There were also bonuses for finishing early. Here in Spokane, with few exceptions, things seem to take 5x as long, and the powers that be love to close multiple same-direction routes at the same time. I have two routes I can take north-south without miles of detours to get to work. Both are slated to have major work done in August-September, at exactly the same time. Amazing.

Les Schwab, at least back in the day, also had the "instant service" rep (still the only place my mom goes for tires).
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    "Government workers are slow & inefficient..." is a pretty bizarre statement to be honest because when one says such statements, just points toward ignorance to me. I myself was a government worker & worked with many who were just the opposite of the statement from above. I'm positive that many in the private sector are also "slow & inefficient" just as many I'm sure are just the opposite also. To make such a broad statement about any group is truly foolish & and downright false. I always go with the positive about everything & run from negative folks as they tend to be negative about everything in life. So much easier to be a positive person...less energy used!

• Options
    edited July 2023

"Government workers are slow & inefficient..." is a pretty bizarre statement to be honest because when one says such statements, just points toward ignorance to me. I myself was a government worker & worked with many who were just the opposite of the statement from above. I'm positive that many in the private sector are also "slow & inefficient" just as many I'm sure are just the opposite also. To make such a broad statement about any group is truly foolish & and downright false. I always go with the positive about everything & run from negative folks as they tend to be negative about everything in life. So much easier to be a positive person...less energy used!

Okay, I'll specify the slow and inefficient:

1. CA DMV
    2. Passport processing by US Postal Service.
    3. Cal-Trans
    4. CHP & City Police
    5. County Sheriffs (San Diego)
    6. Traffic Courts
    7. Small Claims Courts
    8. Every TSA line at the Airport
    9. IRS

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but that's a start. No broad brush.
  • Options
    Guess my interactions with many of the government workers down here have been a bit more positive then yours. Maybe that comes from us having a similar background in the service industry. Once we talk about it for no matter how long, we get it & share that something. Since I've always been a service worker for my whole working career, 31 years with the post office & 10 plus now in the rental car biz, I tend to give my fellow workers a free pass on certain things as dealing with the public isn't always easy! Trust me, I've had some very difficult customers over the years but have found humor & a positive attitude can deflate a difficult situation very easily. Think it's all about not taking it personally...people have issues & just want someone to listen & hear them. Once that happens, the tension is gone & fixing an issue positively is so much easier.
    And luckily, I was always able to leave work behind once it was quittin' time. I had a busy life outside of work but having 3 kids within four years can make for a very busy life. Think that's the key really, leaving work at work & living life as it comes.

• Options
    Some sights one may see on the road, even an Audi ;)

I suppose I am usually neutral good, maybe neutral evil on a bad day, maybe some lawful good/neutral while in the fintail.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    edited August 2023
    Flawed graphic, no BMW or Tesla in the miscreant sections. :p

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Definitely some closely overlapping circles between Audi and BMW fanboys, with Tesla mixed in here and there depending on model (some also cross into Altima, RAV4, and Prius territory).
  • Options
    fintail said:

Definitely some closely overlapping circles between Audi and BMW fanboys, with Tesla mixed in here and there depending on model (some also cross into Altima, RAV4, and Prius territory).

Hey! Audi's do NOT cut people off as long as you define cutting off as someone that changes lanes going slower than the person already in that lane :smiley::smile:
  • Options
    andres3 said:

fintail said:

Hey! Audi's do NOT cut people off as long as you define cutting off as someone that changes lanes going slower than the person already in that lane :smiley::smile:
    I define cutting off as also cutting too close ;)
  • Options
    My sister is on day 2 of a 3 day road trip. San Diego, CA to Spokane, WA, to move her oldest son into Eastern Washington University for his masters program. Just over 1200 miles total.

She and my BIL are driving a 10' U-Haul box truck, and their son is in his 2015 Jetta. No cruise in the U-Haul, but it maintains a good 70-75 MPH.

Day 1 was San Diego to Sacramento. I got a picture from her on I-5 somewhere in the Central Valley and there was not a car in sight. She said traffic was almost non-existant.

Today is Sacramento to Bend, OR. Should be nicer scenery, but I suspect gas mileage will suck as they go uphill.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    My sister and her family stopped for lunch near Mt. Shasta, and she took this picture:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Was playing around with Google Maps - my sister just left California after 775 or so miles - the equivalent of driving from Savannah, GA to Princeton, NJ.

And, she still has the equivalent of Princeton to Bangor, ME to finish out by tomorrow.

In a U-Haul.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    With no cruise control!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

With no cruise control!

When I moved to Denver 30 years ago, my '91 Sentra SE didn't have cruise. Or AC. And I made the trip in August.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    I'm in Bend, OR, on my way to Pt. Townsend, WA, to go to an open "house" for an old wooden sailing yacht that's being completely rebuilt in a beautiful fashion. In any event, the last two days of driving, from Kingman, AZ, reminded me how wonderful driving in rural NV and OR can be.

Yesterday between Tonopah, NV, and Battle Mountain, I was on a couple of state roads and about 12 miles of U.S.50. For over 200 miles the only town I went through was Austin, NV, with extremely light traffic and crystal clear air (80+ mile visibility). U.S.50 gets all the press for being the "Loneliest Highway," but I beg to differ -- the north/south state highways have much less traffic and many fewer towns.

Today I had a stretch from Winnemucca, NV, to La Pine, OR, with zero traffic lights and only two tiny towns in almost 350 miles. Once again almost no traffic. I think there were three gas stations along the way. This is my kind of driving, the kind that won't be available to those with EVs anytime soon.

Tomorrow it's back to more typical travel -- over to Portland through Olympia to Sequim.

Good times.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah...

:)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

We have a road trip Christmas week. South Jersey to Orlando and back.

I’m 90% sure I’m taking the Ram. Just need to install a tonneau cover in case of rain. The cab is very roomy, it has 2 110V outlets for the kids etc.

My wife’s XC goes back mid November so most likely her car will be brand new and really wouldn’t want to take something brand new on a big trip like that.

Ideally if Volvo did extensions I’d extend for 2 months and take advantage of being so under the miles. Plus it has adaptive cruise/pro pilot which is nice on a long trip. Better MPG too.

We will see. I also guess it depends on what the XC gets replaced with. Wife said she wants another one…

• Options

I'm in Bend, OR, on my way to Pt. Townsend, WA, to go to an open "house" for an old wooden sailing yacht that's being completely rebuilt in a beautiful fashion. In any event, the last two days of driving, from Kingman, AZ, reminded me how wonderful driving in rural NV and OR can be.

Yesterday between Tonopah, NV, and Battle Mountain, I was on a couple of state roads and about 12 miles of U.S.50. For over 200 miles the only town I went through was Austin, NV, with extremely light traffic and crystal clear air (80+ mile visibility). U.S.50 gets all the press for being the "Loneliest Highway," but I beg to differ -- the north/south state highways have much less traffic and many fewer towns.

Today I had a stretch from Winnemucca, NV, to La Pine, OR, with zero traffic lights and only two tiny towns in almost 350 miles. Once again almost no traffic. I think there were three gas stations along the way. This is my kind of driving, the kind that won't be available to those with EVs anytime soon.

Tomorrow it's back to more typical travel -- over to Portland through Olympia to Sequim.

Good times.

You're getting off of I-5 at exactly the right time!
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    The open "house" was great; met many people associated with the project as well as others who had come from far afield.

Tomorrow it's back to B.C. via the Pt. Townsend ferry over to Whidbey Island and up to Abbottsford.

I will have completely avoided the anus that is Sea-Tac. It helps that I lived up here (in BC) 50 years ago and learned things. Anyone heard of the Chuckanut drive? If you have, or better yet, have driven it (or even better than that, have ridden it on a bicycle) you may appreciate how much I love it up here and regret having ever left it.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester