Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543

@stickguy said:
    one of the bonus features to getting old. That and saving $3 on a haircut at Great Clips.

————————————————
    I’ve been going to Great Clips the last few years myself because the place I went to for many years closed. Mrs. j has been going to them for a while and likes this one particular gal and recommended them so I figured I’d give them a try. Yes, old farts day around here with them is Wednesday. I also get a veterans discount. Was very surprised they allow double dipping on Wednesday too.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

I haven’t been to a barber in 15 years or more. Always just shave it down myself. Takes 5 mins every two weeks.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    I've been going to the same barber for 43 years. :o

He's two years older than I am. Sold his shop to one of the women that worked there, and he's down to two days per week. I keep telling him not to die on me..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    During the worst of the COVID lockdown I resorted to self-haircuts. Wasn't too hard as I am quite follically challenged anyway so I just have a band around the lower perimeter of the ol' coconut to deal with. The one thing that was a bit tough was the close cut on the back of the neck. But I've had a barber clipper for a long time that I had used before for facial hair and that did the job along with a useful mirror. A good test of hand-eye coordination. But glad my barber returned.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    During the Covid lockdown, I went for quite a long time without a haircut. Which wasn't really a problem, as I wasn't going anywhere and no one saw me, so who cares? Saved some money too. These days I go to SuperCuts, which is a big national chain like Great Clips. With the senior discount, it comes out to $16 or $17, and I usually just give the young lady $25. Or if I'm feeling generous that day, $30.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

@henryn said:
    During the Covid lockdown, I went for quite a long time without a haircut. Which wasn't really a problem, as I wasn't going anywhere and no one saw me, so who cares? Saved some money too. These days I go to SuperCuts, which is a big national chain like Great Clips. With the senior discount, it comes out to $16 or $17, and I usually just give the young lady $25. Or if I'm feeling generous that day, $30.

————————————————
    Gee, if you tip like that I’ll cut your hair. I seem to remember getting out of Great Clips on Senior Wednesday for 20 bucks including a $5 tip and that includes a shampoo. On top of that I give her a lot of hair to work on.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    I leave $30 for a $21 haircut. During covid I couldn't find any electric clippers, so I'm glad to be able to go to the barber.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    This is way better than Judge Judy or whomever.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri5FGENtq5g
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

No way, Judge Judy wouldn't have let that guy off. Someone running a red light because they weren't paying attention should not be let off....it could have resulted in a big accident and even death.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri5FGENtq5g

————————————————
    How? Better yet, why?

jmonroe
    Just shows how ridiculous those court shows are, but this one was humorous.
    I guess some people take them seriously.

Just shows how ridiculous those court shows are, but this one was humorous.
    I guess some people take them seriously.

————————————————
    Really? Name one. B)

jmonroe
    Just couldn't stay on topic with haircuts, huh?

I've deleted a few posts.. mostly just the stupid ones. If you find your post gone, well...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

I've deleted a few posts.. mostly just the stupid ones. If you find your post gone, well...

————————————————
    Give us a hint what the most stupid post was and I’m willing to bet we can identify the poster.

jmonroe
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    henryn said:

venture said:

ab348 said:

When I bought my current ATS, I expected to be able to do the same thing I did at that same dealership the previous 2 times I had bought a new car there - give them a cheque for my down payment. But nooooo, not this time. They had changed their policies and required a certified cheque or bank draft. I was not happy that they didn't mention that earlier. I said maybe I should just go get cash, and they said they wouldn't accept that either. I don't know whether to blame the dealership or the government.

Weird.

When I bought this BMW in January I gave them $5,000 in cash (all they would take), put $5,000 on a cash back credit card (all they would take), and gave them a check for $5,000.

I just checked with BMW Financial Services to find out if there is a limit on how much I can pay every month. It's $7,500. I wonder why? I also found out it's a bit of a pain to pay it off - mail a certified check, etc.
    That's pretty strange. Back before the current madness, car manufacturers would often offer a big incentive to get you to take their captive financing. I seem to remember $750 as a common amount for that incentive. I, and everyone else I knew, would take that $750 and then refinance at the credit union for a much lower interest rate. There was never any problem about the refinancing either, and that definitely required that they accept the entire amount owed in one single payment.

As long as the dealership had treated me fairly, I would wait 91 days before refinancing. If they managed to p___ me off, then all bets were off.
    Why 91 days? I thought bonuses were dished out on day 31? I suppose it depends on the bank and dealership, or they could have a prepayment penalty the first "XX" days to circumvent people refinancing to the lower rates.

We took VW's money and refinanced almost immediately with NFCU. Karma hurt us because rates went down shortly thereafter (including at NFCU), but NFCU won't let you refinance an in-house loan.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    stickguy said:

airbnb seems to have really run it's course. a wonderful concept that like most of them, got perverted by scammers and scum artists.

The Gov't is one of the scammers and scum artists; getting in on the good thing made it expensive.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    henryn said:

How much do you tip for a carwash?
    tjc78 said:

I haven’t been to a barber in 15 years or more. Always just shave it down myself. Takes 5 mins every two weeks.

You are not contributing to JOBS in the haircutting sector. Pretty soon our Gov't will have to offer cash 4 clunky haircuts.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    got warm today (mid-50s) and most of our snow melted, so I treated the Acura to spring spa day. Though my son was kind enough to laugh at me saying "end of winter" and pointed out it might snow again Saturday (really just going to rain, maybe some minor mixing). so will just leave it in the garage.

washed, clayed and waxed the just turned 3 YO last week car. still under 19,000 miles. Should be good for a couple more years now!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

airbnb seems to have really run it's course. a wonderful concept that like most of them, got perverted by scammers and scum artists.

The Gov't is one of the scammers and scum artists; getting in on the good thing made it expensive.
    Huh??? What did the government, local, state, or federal have to do with AirBnB?

And I don't think AirBnb was ever a wonderful idea. And I don't think scammers have anything to do with it. The problem with AirBnB, from day one, was that a great many of the renters were doing so just to have a "party house".
    andres3 said:

henryn said:

How much do you tip for a carwash?
    I pay $50 for hand wash and wax for both vehicles. I supply the space, all equipment and supplies, the locals who do the work supply only their "elbow grease". Takes about 2.5 to 3 hours to do both cars, so they're making $17 an hour or a little better.

And depending on who's doing the work (minor or adult), I throw in beer or soft drinks.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

@kyfdx said:

OK about haircuts, why is it that the price of a haircut goes up even though they cut off less and less?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

stickguy said:

got warm today (mid-50s) and most of our snow melted, so I treated the Acura to spring spa day. Though my son was kind enough to laugh at me saying "end of winter" and pointed out it might snow again Saturday (really just going to rain, maybe some minor mixing). so will just leave it in the garage.

washed, clayed and waxed the just turned 3 YO last week car. still under 19,000 miles. Should be good for a couple more years now!

Claying is a real pain in the kiester. I have never managed to do a full car without dropping the clay and having to buy a 2nd bar.
    andres3 said:

henryn said:

venture said:

ab348 said:

When I bought my current ATS, I expected to be able to do the same thing I did at that same dealership the previous 2 times I had bought a new car there - give them a cheque for my down payment. But nooooo, not this time. They had changed their policies and required a certified cheque or bank draft. I was not happy that they didn't mention that earlier. I said maybe I should just go get cash, and they said they wouldn't accept that either. I don't know whether to blame the dealership or the government.

Weird.

When I bought this BMW in January I gave them $5,000 in cash (all they would take), put $5,000 on a cash back credit card (all they would take), and gave them a check for $5,000.

I just checked with BMW Financial Services to find out if there is a limit on how much I can pay every month. It's $7,500. I wonder why? I also found out it's a bit of a pain to pay it off - mail a certified check, etc.
    That's pretty strange. Back before the current madness, car manufacturers would often offer a big incentive to get you to take their captive financing. I seem to remember $750 as a common amount for that incentive. I, and everyone else I knew, would take that $750 and then refinance at the credit union for a much lower interest rate. There was never any problem about the refinancing either, and that definitely required that they accept the entire amount owed in one single payment.

As long as the dealership had treated me fairly, I would wait 91 days before refinancing. If they managed to p___ me off, then all bets were off.
    Why 91 days? I thought bonuses were dished out on day 31? I suppose it depends on the bank and dealership, or they could have a prepayment penalty the first "XX" days to circumvent people refinancing to the lower rates.

We took VW's money and refinanced almost immediately with NFCU. Karma hurt us because rates went down shortly thereafter (including at NFCU), but NFCU won't let you refinance an in-house loan.
    In the case of the $750 incentive to take the captive financing, if you refinance in less than 90 days some (or all?) of that incentive is charged back to the dealership. So if you're feeling friendly to the dealership, you give them a break and wait 91 days.
    kyfdx said:

I guess it is springtime, or at least it is on the west coast, since some new ones have just popped up. :s

henryn said:

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

Huh??? What did the government, local, state, or federal have to do with AirBnB?

And I don't think AirBnb was ever a wonderful idea. And I don't think scammers have anything to do with it. The problem with AirBnB, from day one, was that a great many of the renters were doing so just to have a "party house".
    Most localities have deemed that AirBnB needs special add-on taxes like hotel taxes. Early on there were no add on fees for taxes.
    henryn said:

stickguy said:

Claying is a real pain in the kiester. I have never managed to do a full car without dropping the clay and having to buy a 2nd bar.
    ————————————————
    Put a ring of newspaper around the car (under the rocker panels and bumpers) then wet the paper so it doesn’t blow away. That way if you drop the clay bar nothing is lost.

Your welcome.

jmonroe
    Newspaper?

I have not used it, but they make clay replacement mitts that IIRC can be washed.

In the case of the $750 incentive to take the captive financing, if you refinance in less than 90 days some (or all?) of that incentive is charged back to the dealership. So if you're feeling friendly to the dealership, you give them a break and wait 91 days.
    ————————————————
    When I bought my first Genny in ‘09 it was from a dealer in Ohio. After we agreed on the price of his car and my trade-in we’re off to the F&I office. The guy saw from the salesman’s notes (I told the salesman that if they wanted to lose the sale, pressuring me with F&I stuff was a good way to do it). So, the F&I guy knew that I was paying cash and I didn’t want to play games. However, as soon as we sat down he said, “I don’t want to lose this sale but PLEASE hear me out for a minute, OK”. He proceeds to tell me that he just saw on his computer that morning that Genny customers could save $750 if they financed through Hyundai. So he said, “finance the car but PLEASE wait for 90 days before you pay it off. Otherwise we’ll lose our commission for setting up this sale as a finance transaction”.

I knew that I wouldn’t be saving $750 because I’d be paying the highest part of the finance charge for that 90 days (I don’t remember now what the finance rate was) but if the F&I guy didn’t mention anything about financing through Hyundai, I wouldn’t have saved any money. Therefore, I decided not to be a jerk by paying it off immediately. So I went through with financing for 90 days.

FWIW, when I bought my second Genny in ‘15 I was going to write a check for that car too but Hyundai was offering free money if you financed for 5 years (0.9%) so I jumped on that deal.

jmonroe
    When I bought my current Explorer, one of the incentives was $500 cash or 6 years 0% financing.
    That was a no brainer!
    Our last purchase was a service loaner. 0% at 72 months. And, if we didn't take the 0%? The dealer lost an incentive, and the price would be $1000 higher. Not a tough choice.

In the past, I've seen incentives as high as $3000 for the customer, if they skip the low rate financing, so this was a new one on me.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

My Acura was 60 months at .9%, or $500. Took the rate instead of something near 6%

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    On my drive to work I saw a Rivian truck. They are distinctive by the headlight and taillight configuration. As I got closer it looked odd. The left rear quarter panel had been crunched fairly severely. I can only imagine how long it will take to get that repaired.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    edited March 2023
    We scored a new record at work today. 700 miles traveled during a 131/2 hour shift. We ranged from NJ up to near the Canadian border with multiple cities in between.

I passed a Honda Civiv type R at one point. Looked brand new but that is the ugliest rear end of any car I’ve seen.

It looked like one of those Japanese crabs fishermen find off the coast.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Think the most we've ever done in one day is close to 475 miles. And that was a 13 hour day. But we go from Key West up to Sebastian & over to Ft. Myers if I'm not mistaken. I miss those days of making trips to Tampa & Key West when I first started in the rental car game. But being an independent contractor really sucked! No set schedule, favoritism was rampant, the pay was per the job & they took out for our insurance every day we worked. Hated having to call up the night before at 5 to find out my status for the next day or with the first company, waiting for a text or phone call about working. Since I didn't live near either company, it was always a rushing game to get to the meeting places & I was usually one of the last to arrive. That's why I wanted the Hertz gig so badly...wanted a set schedule so I'd know way before what days/hours I'd be working. Made planning a life much easier!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    We drove nonstop from Fort Worth to Louisville in a B7 that I was writing a story about. I really hated to return that car...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited March 2023
    I was reading a review for the 2023 Lexus RX e 450....EV model. Not bad looking;

I am wondering if I would want to have that steering wheel. I like a flat bottom, but not sure of flat top and bottom;

Range is only about 220 miles compared to Cadillacs and BMWs that are at 300 miles.
    Why do EVs have such plain looking interiors? Is it the Spartan philosophy, do without, be a minimalist?

We scored a new record at work today. 700 miles traveled during a 131/2 hour shift. We ranged from NJ up to near the Canadian border with multiple cities in between.

I passed a Honda Civiv type R at one point. Looked brand new but that is the ugliest rear end of any car I’ve seen.

@oldfarmer50, I agree that rear end is totally ugly, it looks like they had 20 designers working on it and they all had a different idea of what to do. There is a similarity in that crab too!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    driver100 said:

I was reading a review for the 2023 Lexus RX e 450....EV model. Not bad looking;

I am wondering if I would want to have that steering wheel. I like a flat bottom, but not sure of flat top and bottom;

Range is only about 220 miles compared to Cadillacs and BMWs that are at 300 miles.
    Why do EVs have such plain looking interiors? Is it the Spartan philosophy, do without, be a minimalist?

Different for the sake of being different. That steering wheel will be troublesome for the cohort who nervously grips their wheel at 11 and 1 at all times.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    fintail said:

driver100 said:

Different for the sake of being different. That steering wheel will be troublesome for the cohort who nervously grips their wheel at 11 and 1 at all times.
    Like 90% of U.S. motor vehicle operators("drivers" being far too generous a term).

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

fintail said:

driver100 said:

I can see a Karen "How am I supposed to hold the steering wheel at 10 and 2?".

Some of the people on here need to lighten up a little bit. Criticizing other people, going so far as to call someone a “Karen” just because they don’t hold the steering wheel in the same way you prefer? Over the top, seriously.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited March 2023

@henryn said:
    Some of the people on here need to lighten up a little bit. Criticizing other people, going so far as to call someone a “Karen” just because they don’t hold the steering wheel in the same way you prefer? Over the top, seriously.

It’s funny though😉. I don’t take it as being malicious.

driver100 said:

————————————————
    I’m sure the thought behind that steering wheel design is that it forces you to place your hands in what is considered the best driving position but that would be a deal breaker for me instantly once I saw it. I wouldn’t even bother taking a test drive regardless of anything else that looked good.

A classic case of designers trying to fix something that ain’t broken.

jmonroe
    edited March 2023
    That Lexus steering wheel looks like a desperation copy of the Tesla Yoke. I read recently that buyers of those hated it so much that they bought out Elon's supply chain of replacement OE Tesla round steering wheels in short order and now round steering wheels are backordered.

Regardless of intent, always good to avoid denigrating or name-calling, even if it's an imaginary person, or said in jest. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

I an sitting in a Chevy showroom. Talk about empty. 1 sales person. Owners in their cubical adj to showroom. Service dept has lost some people.

They have more SUVs and more trucks than they have had out on the lot for overt a year.

Brought Cruz in for oil change.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I an sitting in a Chevy showroom. Talk about empty. 1 sales person. Owners in their cubical adj to showroom. Service dept has lost some people.

They have more SUVs and more trucks than they have had out on the lot for overt a year.

Brought Cruz in for oil change.

I was out Hwy 32 on Wednesday. Drove by the Wyler dealerships. Only Nissan looked short on cars. Even the Mazda dealership had 50 or more new units.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I would not buy that steering wheel. I actually use the top portion sometimes! and I see that Lexus avoided showing the front end. probably a good idea.

I was also surprised at how many cars the Mazda dealer had in inventory back in December. When Subaru lots fill up, then you know the shortage is really over.