Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926
    I'm rather perturbed that we're starting off the season with 6 interleague games. Very silly, IMHO.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,490
    with the new schedule every team plays every other team now. So pretty much forced the issue. doesn't make any difference in the end when they do it though.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    Mike, I hear ya with your back problems, I've been suffering since my accident back in 2005. And now, suffering from vertigo again, so using my walker in the house to get around. I fell again in the bathroom last month, fourth time this past year, and beat myself up pretty bad. Also bent the shower doors when I fell into them. Luckily the glass didn't break. Got someone in to put bars in the bathtub/shower enclosure and he unbent the metal doors so they open/close properly again.
    My kids insisted that I start using the walker at night or whenever the vertigo hits, like now. Sucks getting older when one has health issues and I'll be turning 69 come November...am too young for all my health issues, for sure! Glad you & your twin are staying close. I lost my twin to cancer in January of 2021 & we never resolved our issues. I tried on many occasions to get him to come to terms with things but he refused to acknowledge any of our issues. Felt sad that he went to his grave with unfinished business left behind so glad that you guys are still on good terms. Now that I'm the last of the four of us, it kind of hits home but I'm lucky to have my wife & kids who I remain very close with.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,536
    I’m not going to watch a minor league team play in a major league ball park. Be it an away game like today or a home game whenever they get around to it. Like someone once said, “life is too short to waste your time waiting for something to happen that never will”.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,342
    As I mentioned over in the CCBA topic, today my wife drove the C43 for the first time. I asked her how she liked it and her response was, "How do you keep it under 100 mph?"
    Like I said, she's a keeper...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    abacomike said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

How do you return a lease before the end? From what I’ve read even if you die you are required to pay until the end.

As to your parking space problem, have you considered a lightweight car cover?

With my back and the fact that I need a walker to walk, how would I be able to apply and take off the car cover? What about folding it up every day?

But thanks for the suggest.

I feel bad that you have to suffer like that. I suppose getting someone to handle the car cover for you would be impractical.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

changing parking spots like this seems to be a much easier solution.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    edited March 2023

Mike, I hear ya with your back problems, I've been suffering since my accident back in 2005. And now, suffering from vertigo again, so using my walker in the house to get around. I fell again in the bathroom last month, fourth time this past year, and beat myself up pretty bad. Also bent the shower doors when I fell into them. Luckily the glass didn't break. Got someone in to put bars in the bathtub/shower enclosure and he unbent the metal doors so they open/close properly again.
    My kids insisted that I start using the walker at night or whenever the vertigo hits, like now. Sucks getting older when one has health issues and I'll be turning 69 come November...am too young for all my health issues, for sure! Glad you & your twin are staying close. I lost my twin to cancer in January of 2021 & we never resolved our issues. I tried on many occasions to get him to come to terms with things but he refused to acknowledge any of our issues. Felt sad that he went to his grave with unfinished business left behind so glad that you guys are still on good terms. Now that I'm the last of the four of us, it kind of hits home but I'm lucky to have my wife & kids who I remain very close with.

My wife is in the same boat. No balance due to strokes. She uses a walker too. That’s why I bought the Kia because it’s the only one of my vehicles she can get into.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

As I mentioned over in the CCBA topic, today my wife drove the C43 for the first time. I asked her how she liked it and her response was, "How do you keep it under 100 mph?"
    Like I said, she's a keeper...

The car or your wife? :)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@Sandman6472 said:

So sorry to hear that. I don’t use the walker in the condo. I have another walker in my closet that has 4 large wheels and handbrakes as well as a seat to sit on when I get tired. I only use that one if I go to sit out by the pool or if I have heavy stuff to throw out at the dumpster - it’s too heavy for me to fold up and put it in my trunk.

Hope you feel better!

2021 Genesis G90

My old parking space is all brown from that darn tree. The new parking space is just what the doctor ordered for my car!😜🤪👍

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

My old parking space is all brown from that darn tree. The new parking space is just what the doctor ordered for my car!😜🤪👍

————————————————
    Only a place like South Florida with a heavy senior population could doctors get away with prescribing different parking spots to satisfy their patients cars. :p

Happy to hear it worked out for you.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    I must have missed a post where @abacomike was asking for a new parking space?
    A doctor prescribed it?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,722
    edited March 2023
    Working a 4pm-midnight shift for the next couple of weeks, weekends inclusive. Yay. Plus, at my discretion (or by high command), attending meetings, completing tasks during my normal ~9-5ish. More yay.
    But, that gives me time to do things during the day, such as test driving cars and errands today:

'19 M240xi 'vert. Melbourne Red/Black leather. Big tires, big TORQUE! 45 degrees and sunny, I lowered the top and semi-terrorized the 20mph roads around my development, as well as roads leading to. I don't have to tell anyone here that I was grinning... top up on the highway, peddle to the shag pile and the four sneakers (summer, of course) just grabbed hold and reached ludicrous speed as I contemplated the excuse, "But, officer, I'm just test driving it...).
    Upon return, no-pressure sales dude asked the obvious, I loved it. But, I'm not sure Melbourne Red is my color and the price is a bit dear. He said there are two test drives scheduled for tomorrow, so think fast... It'll probably sell.

And, after getting nearly a full tank of electricity at the dealer, off to lunch; Italian. Ate too much, had a coupon so also brought home a small meatball/ricotta pizza for dinner. Just not sure which day's dinner as, after overindulging lunch, I will never eat again. And, more free juice for the Audi at lunch, so full tank, gratis.

Next BJs; as I pulled in the price of PUG went down .01/gal!!! So, I saved over .06 filling up the half tank ($3.86 PUG).
    And Wellesley Farms trail mix price was 25% lower than my last purchase, plus I had $1 coupon, so... SCORE!

Tomorrow I'm testing a '20 230xi Vert, Silver over black plastic (deaf, dumb and blind); $12k less dear in ask. I'm sure the 4 is fine, but that I6... Also, a higher mileage '18 230xi, white/white locally, I'll see if I can fit that in.
    I may try a Z4, but it's a bit of a drive from the 2 test dealer, and I have to be online work at 4pm. And, Misano Blue? Gotta see that live and in person.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Working a 4pm-midnight shift for the next couple of weeks, weekends inclusive. Yay. Plus, at my discretion (or by high command), attending meetings, completing tasks during my normal ~9-5ish. More yay.
    But, that gives me time to do things during the day, such as test driving cars and errands today:

'19 M240xi 'vert. Melbourne Red/Black leather. Big tires, big TORQUE! 45 degrees and sunny, I lowered the top and semi-terrorized the 20mph roads around my development, as well as roads leading to. I don't have to tell anyone here that I was grinning... top up on the highway, peddle to the shag pile and the four sneakers (summer, of course) just grabbed hold and reached ludicrous speed as I contemplated the excuse, "But, officer, I'm just test driving it...).
    Upon return, no-pressure sales dude asked the obvious, I loved it. But, I'm not sure Melbourne Red is my color and the price is a bit dear. He said there are two test drives scheduled for tomorrow, so think fast... It'll probably sell.

And, after getting nearly a full tank of electricity at the dealer, off to lunch; Italian. Ate too much, had a coupon so also brought home a small meatball/ricotta pizza for dinner. Just not sure which day's dinner as, after overindulging lunch, I will never eat again. And, more free juice for the Audi at lunch, so full tank, gratis.

Next BJs; as I pulled in the price of PUG went down .01/gal!!! So, I saved over .06 filling up the half tank ($3.86 PUG).
    And Wellesley Farms trail mix price was 25% lower than my last purchase, plus I had $1 coupon, so... SCORE!

Tomorrow I'm testing a '20 230xi Vert, Silver over black plastic (deaf, dumb and blind); $12k less dear in ask. I'm sure the 4 is fine, but that I6... Also, a higher mileage '18 230xi, white/white locally, I'll see if I can fit that in.
    I may try a Z4, but it's a bit of a drive from the 2 test dealer, and I have to be online work at 4pm. And, Misano Blue? Gotta see that live and in person.

I've yet to hear someone say, "I wish I had bought a 230i instead of an M240i."

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Yup, along the lines of "Gee, I wish I had worked many more hours in my life; retired much, much later..."
    But, as a third, toy, car, a man's gotta know his financial limitations, doesn't he?
    Wrong audience.

That I6, it's crack, isn't it?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Well, my twin brother did it again! He traded his 2022 Mercedes GLE for a 2023 AMG GLE 53. It’s Selenite Gray Metallic with black AMG 22” wheels. MSRP was $92,000 which is what most dealers sell them for. This one was built in Germany because it’s an AMG. It’s got 429 hp. The only option it doesn’t have is Distronic Driver Assistance (autonomous cruise control).

From what he told me, the dealer gave him $76,000 for his trade (7500 miles on the odometer). I asked him why would he get a new car (SUV) and he went into a 20 minute dissertation to justify his purchase. I then asked him what the real reason was! He responded - “…I had that itch…”! I suggested to him that it might have been more appropriate to just “SCRATCH IT”!

2021 Genesis G90

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    He did.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    Sounds like your brother not only scratched the itch but did ok on the trade.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I obviously become too attached to my cars.

abacomike said:

Well, my twin brother did it again! He traded his 2022 Mercedes GLE for a 2023 AMG GLE 53. It’s Selenite Gray Metallic with black AMG 22” wheels. MSRP was $92,000 which is what most dealers sell them for. This one was built in Germany because it’s an AMG. It’s got 429 hp. The only option it doesn’t have is Distronic Driver Assistance (autonomous cruise control).

From what he told me, the dealer gave him $76,000 for his trade (7500 miles on the odometer). I asked him why would he get a new car (SUV) and he went into a 20 minute dissertation to justify his purchase. I then asked him what the real reason was! He responded - “…I had that itch…”! I suggested to him that it might have been more appropriate to just “SCRATCH IT”!

Since 1995 every car I've bought for sheer fun has been faster than its predecessor- so I understand your brother's decision- he HAD to buy it...

@abacomike said:

How much did he buy the ‘22 for?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    abacomike said:

AFAIK GLE are built in Vance, AL - AMG powertrains assembled in Germany but final assembly in the US. If the VIN starts with a "4", it is not a German built car.

@sda said:
    Sounds like your brother not only scratched the itch but did ok on the trade.

Yes he did! The General Manager has sold him 8 MB’s in the last 12 years. He told my brother that he could not discount the new car per the owner’s policies, but that he could give him a great trade allowance, which he certainly did.

The new AMG GLE is at the port and is expected in Monday or Tuesday since it has already been assigned to a transporter.

All his children are quite wealthy in their own right and his grandchildren are lawyers, which speaks for itself. So, since his family is not in need of inherited wealth, he spends his money on cars. Nice situation to be in if you’re a car lover like the rest of us! Except that he can live out his dreams while most of us live vicariously “in” out dreams. 😜🤪🤓

2021 Genesis G90

He could adopt me. I could use it.

I bet the days of being able to get 10% off MSRP a new MB with little work (and more with a little more work or lucky timing) are gone forever. Dealers and manufacturers have figured out how to manage inventory.

If I had that money, I might be going for a G or a GLS Maybach or something that is probably the equivalent of a Civic in certain parts of south FL where one best not ask the origin of the money B)

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    Nothing is forever..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896

It’s been DIY weekend. Ripped up all the carpet, pad and tack strips in one of the bedrooms. Patched and painted everything. Next weekend I’ll lay the new LVP floor.

Then I have the other bedroom to paint and build new beds for the kids.

Also swapped out the mattress in our master and gave away some furniture we didn’t want. There was a futon here when we bought the place. We hated that thing so I sent it down to the garage and someone came and got it. They put the mattress in the rear of their minivan and then asked me for help to put the frame up top. I said twice “are you sure you wanna do that”? So we did and I said thanks and left them to be. No way I was going to be part of strapping that down. I should have taken a picture from my balcony.

I’m tired…

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@tjc78 said:
    It’s been DIY weekend. Ripped up all the carpet, pad and tack strips in one of the bedrooms. Patched and painted everything. Next weekend I’ll lay the new LVP floor.

Also swapped out the mattress in our master and gave away some furniture we didn’t want. There was a futon here when we bought the place. We hated that thing so I sent it down to the garage and someone came and got it. They put the mattress in the rear of their minivan and then asked me for help to put the frame up top. I said twice “are you sure you wanna do that”? So we did and I said thanks and left them to be. No way I was going to be part of strapping that down. I should have taken a picture from my balcony.

I’m tired…

————————————————
    You’re a loafer. When I was your age I did that and more in an afternoon. :|

jmonroe

I pulled out my baby shopvac and did the vents and the hardwood floors. That was a lot of work so I rested for the afternoon and watched sports on TV. Then I cleaned the stovetop, and the filter in the dishwasher. That seemed to be enough hard labor for 1 day.

supposed to push 60 tomorrow. that should be a big outside day. Going to try and get the snowblower put away (tempting fate!) and clean out and organize the garage. And wash the grime off the car from being out in the wet last week. It never ends.

I got out of bed all by myself today. So I guess I had a DIY day, also! 😜🤪

2021 Genesis G90

@fintail said:
    AFAIK GLE are built in Vance, AL - AMG powertrains assembled in Germany but final assembly in the US. If the VIN starts with a "4", it is not a German built car.

Thanks fintail - I will pass it on to my brother so he can check the VIN.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

@fintail said:

Thanks fintail - I will pass it on to my brother so he can check the VIN.

I wasn't trying to be a "well actually" guy - hopefully they didn't tell your brother that story (if it even matters to him), or maybe it was just explained oddly. The engine is German-made anyway.

@jmonroe1 said:

@tjc78 said:

I’m tired…

————————————————
    You’re a loafer. When I was your age I did that and more in an afternoon. :|

jmonroe

Well.. to be fair this was only morning work. We hosted friends Sat afternoon/evening and were busy Sunday afternoon too.

I arrived at work to find that the phones, internet, and servers were all down. I was too
    impatient to wait on IT so I tackled it myself. As you can see the installation quality is commensurate with the highest state government standards. The culprit was a dead UPS, BTW…

I arrived at work to find that the phones, internet, and servers were all down. I was too

impatient to wait on IT so I tackled it myself. As you can see the installation quality is commensurate with the highest state government standards. The culprit was a dead UPS, BTW…

looks like something my kid would do

Ouch! It’s sad to say I’ve had retail stores with a board that didn’t look much better. We call in the network guys to upgrade it with every store we do.

Check out those 66 blocks… they are dying fast with VOIP

I know. Nothing but the finest for our office!

@qbrozen said:
    looks like something my kid would do

————————————————
    More like something you’d find after an earthquake.

jmonroe

@fintail said:
    I wasn't trying to be a "well actually" guy - hopefully they didn't tell your brother that story (if it even matters to him), or maybe it was just explained oddly. The engine is German-made anyway.

The VIN starts with a “4”, which means it was assembled in Alabama and then shipped to Mercedes’s port of entry in Brunswick, Georgia, where it is prepared for delivery to his dealer which is nearby in Jacksonville.

It’s still at the port waiting to be picked up by a transporter.

2021 Genesis G90

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497

Mike, why would the car be at a port going from Alabama to Georgia to northern Florida?

carnaught said:

Mike, why would the car be at a port going from Alabama to Georgia to northern Florida?

————————————————
    Maybe because they want to make use of the tax payers dollars that dug that new canal.

jmonroe
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,265

Yep, I suspect the the “port of entry “ for the MB SUV made in Vance Alabama is, in fact, Vance Alabama and will be trucked to the dealership in the USA😂

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,075
    Consolidation of shipments is not at all unusual. Rather than have trucks descend upon the assembly plant to distribute a handful of vehicles to each dealer, they send them by rail to the PoE and then ship them by either rail or truck to regional distribution centres, and from there on to local dealers.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194

@ab348 said:
    Consolidation of shipments is not at all unusual. Rather than have trucks descend upon the assembly plant to distribute a handful of vehicles to each dealer, they send them by rail to the PoE and then ship them by either rail or truck to regional distribution centres, and from there on to local dealers.

I live a mile from Ford’s Kentucky Truck Plant and now and again I see them shuttling Escapes across town from their other plant. And plenty of Expeditions and Super Duty pickups heading the other way.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,869
    I heard loud pipes coming and here comes some jackass in a MB E53 AMG (at least that's what was on the back) acting like...a jackass. Cutting in and out of traffic on a 35mph road.

When we got to the next light, I was in the left lane (right before my turning lane) one car in front of him in the right lane. He didn't seem pleased. B)

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

abacomike said:

@fintail said:

The VIN starts with a “4”, which means it was assembled in Alabama and then shipped to Mercedes’s port of entry in Brunswick, Georgia, where it is prepared for delivery to his dealer which is nearby in Jacksonville.

Seems silly but those aren't too far out of the way, right? Maybe some kind of economy of scale by shipping everything from one point.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    fintail said:

abacomike said:

@fintail said:

Seems silly but those aren't too far out of the way, right? Maybe some kind of economy of scale by shipping everything from one point.

Correct, Jacksonville is only an hour from that port.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@mjfloyd1 said:
    Yep, I suspect the the “port of entry “ for the MB SUV made in Vance Alabama is, in fact, Vance Alabama and will be trucked to the dealership in the USA😂

Actually, the assembly factory ships those vehicles being delivered to dealerships in the eastern US to Brunswick, GA. At the port, those vehicles are loaded onto transporters along with imported German-made MB’s and shipped to dealerships.

Remember, when a vehicle arrives at the POE (American and German made vehicles) there remains some perfunctory assembly and/or preparation required before these are shipped to dealerships. Examples include special 22” AMG wheels, identifying chrome add-in’s such as numbering and lettering (AMG GLE 53) on rear, carpeted floor and trunk mats placed in rear cargo bed or trunk, wheel lock kits, etc. The Vehicle window sticker is printed and applied to each specific vehicle at the PORT, not at the assembly plant.

In other words, when a vehicle leaves the assembly plant, it still is not ready for sale or shipment to the dealerships.

2021 Genesis G90

edited April 2023

I visited the Brunswick plant(s) and it’s like a small city. Cars arrive by transport from Alabama as well as by ship from Germany. Brunswick is the POE as well as a distribution center.

2021 Genesis G90