Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The timing was funny because there was some sort of Batman reunion show on TV last night. I only caught a glimpse, but they showed the Batmobile.

Frank: revs. HP is basically torque times rpm. They worked and worked on that VTEC to let it revs to the sky, making good published HP ratings.

The catch? No torque. It has less torque than a base stripped Impreza TS station wagon. Not to mention the power and torque peaks are reached at sky high rpm, so it has more lag than most small displacement turbos.

They get away with it because the S2000 is light and geared short.

-juice
  • bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    Isn't redline on that 2.0 liter somewhere north of 8000 rpm? It's set up like an Indy engine, no torque, but the sky's the limit, and up in the stratosphere, you've got real power.

-brianV
    9000, I think?

-juice
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    8900 rpm. The RX-8 redlines at 9000 rpm but will rev to the fuel cut-off at 9500. Gulp.
    We knew there were an 8 and a 9 in there somewhere, LOL.

-juice
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Thats the big problem with all Honda motors, they have no grunt low down, all the power is up in the top end. The positive is when you do rev the hell out of them they do not sound like they will come apart unlike most small domestic offerings.

Cheers Pat.
    I agree - but I'd say that's particularly true with their small displacement 4 cylinder engines. Their V6s are much better.

Honda manages the best CAFE numbers this way, though. That's because the EPA tests never rev the car that much, so the engines stay in fuel-miser mode.

Wring out an S2000 and you won't nearly match the optimistic EPA mileage numbers.

-juice
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Yep I agree that the V6 is a much more relaxed engine but I think that around 75% of Honda owners go for the four cylinder as opposed to the six.

Cheers Pat.
    When I put the whip to my Prelude, the mileage drops through the low 20's. One particularly stimulating day trip yielded 18.7 mpg.

If I drive my RS really hard, I'm lucky to get 15 mpg.
    Yep, even on the Accord the majority are 4 bangers.

What's the displacement on the Prelude? 2.0 or so? Plus it's FWD, so the numbers make sense to me.

-juice
    2.2 liter
    So 14% more displacement and probably a bunch more weight, too. That plus add the AWD.

-juice
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    what's the torque on a loaded TS wagon? ;-) LOL
    Hee hee, I only said "base stripped Impreza TS station wagon" to be able to point to its price, which is about half the S2000's. :-)

Torque on Sale - half price!

-juice
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    juice,

I was watching that Batman reunion movie last night. It was really corny, but I liked it anyway. I was a big fan of the show growing up. Unfortunately, I fell asleep on the couch (as usual) and missed the last 1/2 hour or so. The original Batmobile's styling blows away the futuristic ones in the movie versions, in my opinion. Plus, who could ever forget that distinctive "Bat Turbine" sound?!!!

Len
    The original show was corny, so I could overlook that. I missed most of it anyway.

I like the old Batmobile too!

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    That was my favorite show!

I have a boat at my house upstate which is very similar to the bat-boat, except it doesn't have the capsules over it. Same manufacturer and everything!

Holy All-Wheel-Drive Batman? What will Joker do w/o AWD? Will the Dynamic Duo survive their plunge into the AWD world?

-mike
    I remember that was featured in the Batman movie that came out in the late '60s. My parents packed all 5 of us, in our pajamas, into the back seat of the '65 Pontiac Catalina and took us to the drive-in to see it. I remember it like it was yesterday!!!

Len
    We should find a drive-in somewhere and hold a Crew meet there.

Check it out:

http://www.driveinmovie.com/

-juice
    Thanks for the drive-in link. Looking that over brought back a lot of fun memories. I live in NJ, where there aren't any left, but one of these days, I'm gonna check out one of the existing ones in neighboring PA. My wife and I had lots of dates where we went to the drive-in. We actually even saw most of the movies, too! ;-)

Len
    For us it would be perfect - we use the Miata for our "date night" on Wednesdays.

-juice
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    For the Crew in or around North Carolina.
    http://www.thelakeviewpark.org/history.html
    Looks like a nice play for the summer. :)

-Dave

p/s: Brother #3 did the site. :D
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Dave- Whoa, small world, that's where I grew up and my parents still live there. Oh yeah, the Lake View Park historical brochure was printed by my maternal grandfather (owner of the Inland Press).

-Frank P.
    I wonder if that's near Troy, NC? If so, you should come with us to Uwharrie Dave, you can visit your bro!

-mike
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Frank-
    It's a small world indeed. :)
    I know my brother is interested in the dates on which the brochures were published. Any leads that you would have, he'll be very grateful, I know. Hmmm... he might also be interested to know more about Inland Press and its owner too. I'll speak to him this evening. He's visiting up here in New York for the week.

Hey all, remember that gathering Patti and all of us discussed way back in 2001? Hows abouts Ashville, North Carolina? :D

-Dave
    ^
    |
    Oops... didn't release I'm in "Future Models" instead of "Meet the Members..." .
    Way way OT :D

-Dave
    Yuck...

new optional Premium Sedan Package with All Weather Package and Sunroof

does that mean not on the wagon?

Check out those wicked-cool hinges on the B11S, as if I needed another excuse to fall in love.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    << new optional Premium Sedan Package with All Weather Package and Sunroof

does that mean not on the wagon? >>

Real bad move on SOA's part.

Bob
    If anything, wagon buyers are more willing to sacrifice a little extra curb weight to get what they want, so I'd rather see it on the wagon only if they had to choose just one of them.

Oh well, there's always the Forester XT. But no moonroof with a 5 speed, DOH!

-juice
  • jthorsenjthorsen Member Posts: 39
    That's really disappointing...two of my must haves for my next car are a MT and a sunroof. Two great cars are now off my list in the WRX wagon and the Forester XT. I suppose some kind of manumatic in the Forester XT could bring me back though...any definitive word yet on what "Direct Control" means?
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    Is NOT a manumatic, its some fancy electronic system to optimize shift points.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    We've recently asked Patti over in Meet the Members to find out what 'direct control' actually was. Hopefully we'll find out soon.

-Brian
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I agree with Bob - bad move on SoA's part if true. Wagons still a core part of their customer base. I was hoping the AWP would be available on the '04 WRX wagon and the manumatic on both the WRX and the Forester XT. This pushes me back toward the XT camp even though I'd still like to row my own without a clutch once in a while.

Good thing I don't have to run out and buy another car tomorrow. Maybe they'll get them for '05.

Ed
    Ever since the WRX debuted, people have complained about not having a moonroof and the AWP available, at the very least, as an option. Now they've come up with a vastly better looking WRX, and offer the moonroof and AWP with the sedan&#151;but not on the wagon!

What was SOA thinking? I can't think of a better way for SOA to piss off the faithful. It's really DUMB!

I'm also aggravated that there is still no ambient temperature gauge on US-spec WRXs! The OBS has it, as do WRXs in other markets. Why not the US-spec WRX??

Bob
    One of the guys over at nasioc did a couple of sketches of how a future WRX might look, with B11S styling cues. I think he did an excellent job.

Of particular note, the front end has the B11S grille reduced in size by about 50%. This is exactly what I think Subaru will do for its future mainstream models, assuming they stick with this grille concept.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32- - 8076

Bob
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    I like his work as well, that's pretty good stuff.

Actually, I met Mark in Chicago a year ago while in town for some training. Met several of the chicago iclubbers... err... yeah whatever.

-Colin
  • wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    I'm adding my displeasure with SOA. Not that I want to make this a full on gripe session but...

SOA what in the HELL are you thinking? First, no moonroof or leather with the manual XT and now no moonroof or AWP on the WRX wagon. HUGE MISTAKES!! (all IMHO of course) I really want to give you my money Subaru, but if this is how you want to play ball I'll be visiting the VW, Audi and Volvo dealerships quicker than you can say "Lance Armstrong's salary".

OK, I feel better now. I just hope they don't pull this kinda crap with the new Legacy.

-Ian
    I guess I could live with that. I'd rather see a trunk, but that's just me.

What makes you so sure cptplt of what the Direct Controlled 4EAT is? Do you have a link you could show us that describes it? Did you speak with SOA? Inquiring minds want to know.

-mike
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    THe B11 has got to be one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen, and, once cars start getting up to the $40,000 or $50,000 mark, I become less impressed. A performance car that costs $50,000 is a big yawn, one that costs $25,000, that's interesting!
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    I've got less than $6000 left to pay on my 2002 WRX wagon. Boy I'd sure like to have on of those new 2004 WRX wagons with the cold weather package and sunroof...not!

And I have a 5 speed WRX so I guess the Forester XT premium package is out. So too for all of the H6 models. I hope that the new Legacy wagon will have a sligtly more powerful engine with a C/W package, 5 SPEED, and sunroof. I'm not ready to buy one because I want to hold onto the WRX for some time but I like something new each time.

i would really like to see something different from SOA to eventually replace my WRX with. I have always wanted Subaru to release the Exiga (sp?). A big. powerful, cruising 7 passenger wagon with Italian style styling would be something nobody else on the block had. Looks as if other than the styling Chrysler is there with the concept in the form of the Pacifica. Slightly stretched 7 passenger OB would fill the same bill.

TWRX
  • philwang66philwang66 Member Posts: 61
    Everyone,

According to the link Bob provided, the Premium package is not available on the wagon. However, the sunroof looks to be available as a standalone option on the WRX wagon. I don't see the All Weather package though.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2004.html#options
    You're right, same with the AWP.

Go down to near the bottom of the link, under "options," and you will see both offered on the wagon. I hope this is correct.

Bob
    AWP shows up as NA for the wagon...

- Phil
    OPTIONS

Sorry they do not all line up. I boldfaced the WRX wagon info, so that it's easier to read.
    "O" = Optional

Bob
    Hmm... are we looking at the same chart? I hope you're right of course, it would make more sense.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2004.html#options

This is not going to line up either...

OPTIONS WRX Sedan WRX Sport wagon STi sedan
    Spoiler 0S w/ Prm Pkg S S
    All Weather Package Premium Pkg na na
    Sunroof Premium Pkg 0 na
    go down about 3/4 of the way.

Bob
    Bob,

Hmm... I triple checked the page and even reloaded the page, and I still see AWP listed as NA for the wagon. In any case, let's not waste additional bandwidth on this and wait until the car arrives.

Regards,
    Phil
  • rwitterwitte Member Posts: 12
    I'm seeing the same thing as Phil - AWP as 'na' under WRX Wagon....

Randy