Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hmm, I didn't think the Altima and G35 shared the same platform, but that it only shared the rear suspension geometry.

Now that I think about it, isn't the G35 on the FM platform, shared by the Z, and the Altima completely seperate?

-juice
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    I like the Mazda 6 outside, but wasn't impressed by the inside. I too wish the MPV offered AWD. It's the perfect size.
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Nissan is milking the Altima/FM platform for all it's worth. It's under the new Maxima, and will soon be under the next Quest minivan.
    I liked the 6 even inside. Saw it way back last April at the NY show. Give them credit for at least offering a little style inside, and for doing it without making it look cheap (Altima).

Room inside is good, and the wagon had a cool flip-down seat feature where all you had to do is press a button. Subaru could borrow that feature and I wouldn't mind one bit.

-juice
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    The 6 is to trendy inside for me. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a nice car for the $. Just not my cup of tea. I do like the P5 though. If only it had AWD and more power.

-Eric
  • jthorsenjthorsen Member Posts: 39
    Went to Auto show this week here in Mpls...very disappointed in Subaru. They didn't have the 2004 Impreza or the Forester XT, which surprised me since I'd have thought this is a good market for them...

The FX uses the FM platform (RWD based) and the Murano uses the Altima (FWD based). Supposedly they are completely separate cars and don't even share a lot of the same components...seems like a lot of extra expense when they end up being so similar...I really liked the Murano at first but after seeing it up close...yuck! It seems to be all style and very little function. And after never even considering Volvo before I have to say I loved the XC70. The XC90 is great too, but the 70 would suit me fine. (And it's got a much better AWD system this year too.)
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Saw them both for the first time on the streets this weekend and can flatly say I dislike them both.

I always thought the Forester was slightly oddly proportioned - a little too much greenhouse for the body - but these two, especially the FX, go too far in the opposite direction. Tiny greenhouses on big bodies, like Zippy the pinhead. Huge bilnd spots in those greenhouses as well. Wheel and tire combos with no pretense of rough-roadability, much less off-roadability, but with a big nod to bling-bling culture.

I'd agree with jthorsen that these two are very much style over substance.

Ed
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    about the FX and Murano, but I really really liked the way one (FX) sounded as it passed me in a grocery store parking lot the other day. That's one mean sounding grocery getter, and that's about all it's good for.

Jim

P.S. Is everybody glued to CNN or something?
    Yes, Volvo moved to a far better AWD system this year. I sampled FWD and AWD S60s back-to-back at the Volvo Fire & Ice event, and the AWD was far better in every way except price.

This after I hated the XC70 on a test drive I took a couple of years ago, with the old AWD system.

Murano is stlyish but it also performs favorably compared to the Pilot or Highlander, it's a much sporiter handler.

-juice
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    saw this to my extreme surprise
    www.chevrolet.co.in

Subaru forester sold as Chevy Forester for 15.5 laks of Indian Rupees, which is $30,000.

that too for a 2.0L engine. Heaven help me !
    Yeah, but what else you gonna drive down there? The locally made cars are absolutely primitive.

-juice
    yeah, why not sell as Subaru...........i don;t like GM messing with Subaru like this !
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Cause there is probably not a subaru presence there. That is what GM does often with the companies it controls. They pool all the GM vehicles into one brand and sell it. For instance the Isuzu Trooper is sold in SE Asia and Latin America as a Chevy Trooper, In Australia as a Holden Jackaroo. It actually makes a lot of sense from a business perspective.

-mike
    Basically they cannot afford to open a whole set of Subaru dealers to sell one car in tiny volumes. It's expensive enough as it is.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Someone over a nasioc must have gotten a hold of a '04 Impreza brochure and scanned in the specs/equipment pages, and then created a PDF*!

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33- - - 7292

A few tidbits:

• It's official: No moonroof or AWP for WRX wagon. :(

• STi has a longer 100.0" wheelbase (all other Imprezas have a 99.4" wheelbase).

• All Imprezas, including the TS, have rear disk brakes. My guess is the Forester X will probably also get them for '04 too.

• It appears the OBS info is once again now included in the Impreza brochure; unlike last year's brochure, which only had the OBS info in the Outback brochure.

• All Imprezas—including the STi—are rated to tow 2000 pounds. This is especially unusual considering last year, only the WRX wagon (and not the sedan) were rated to tow anything. Hmmm... I can just imagine myself pulling into the county landfill (which is off-roading at its best!) with my trailer loaded with yard waste, attached to an STi...

* = If you want to print it out on 8.5"x11" paper, you will need to reduce it by 33%, via your printer.

Bob
    most are in SoCal. Here's just one of several threads from nasioc.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33- - 7582

Bob
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    There's going to be some nasty backlash.

-Dennis
    How is the wheelbase longer? That's bizarre. Did they make the driveshaft longer, or was it just a clever engineering trick?

Sweet news about the rear discs on the TS, we've been lobbying for that for 5 years. Success!

Bummer about the moonroof, that's gonna help Forester XT/Premium sales, watch.

-juice
    I bet the 1/2" difference could be due to the lower stance? This might be why it gets 1/2" roughly longer wheel base?

-mike
  • kenokakenoka Member Posts: 218
    I think the half inch of wheelbase is due to the change in steering rack.
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    on wagon eh? That was the combo I was looking for.

-B
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Did anyone notice that the WRX wagon doesn't get an ambient temperature gauge?

Ken
    I thought only the Outback Sport did.

-juice
    also go the ambient temperature gauge. Ken, are you saying the WRX sedan got the ambient temp gauge, and the wagon didn't? I don't think either WRX (except the STi) got it.

Bob
    That's what I recall from Baltimore, i.e. none on the WRX sedan or wagon.

-juice
    Bob,

No, what I meant to say was that only the OBS wagon got the ambient temp gauge. I originally didn't notice that the WRX sedan also doesn't get it.

Ken
    This link focuses mainly on Saab's problems, but does get into possible future Subie-Saabs, one of which would include a boxer diesel. Bob Lutz mentions one of Saab's big problems is not having a diesel for the European market. An Impreza-based 9-1, with a diesel, would help solve that. Interestingly, there's no mention of Isuzu in regards to this diesel however.

I'm not convinced that a Subaru-Saab relationship is that great. It could put a ceiling as to how high in the marketplace Subaru could attain. Also, I'm not convinced Saab will survive regardless of what input Subaru offers, and I would hate to see Subaru dragged down with Saab if it should sink.

On the other hand, a Subaru/Saab alliance makes more sense than any other Subaru/<insert GM brand> would make. Let's pray for the best...

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_saab_faces_tough/index.htm

Bob
    I really think Saab could get a WRX and add $5 grand of content, mostly improving interior materials and such, and there'd be a market for it. Look how many people turn to A4s because the WRX is too "budget buy".

It won't necessarily limit Subaru's other model lines, and the STi would already be here. Let Saab do the glove-soft leather and wood trim stuff.

-juice
    As much as I hate the idea of a Saab WRX, the idea of a better appointed WRX appeals to me. I wouldn't be against paying a little more for some additional creature comforts and a distinction from the boy-racers that covet the WRX. It would be what the G35 coupe is to the 350Z.

Ken
    Check fitzmall....
    mostly all subes are 4k off MSRP......incl. H6.

No wonder Subes have the higest sales figures
    They look about the same to me. You might be seeing H6 sedans, starting at $24.2k.

I wonder if those are cloth models.

-juice
    A bit of Subie/Armstrong news:

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_subaru_ties_armstrong/index.htm

The Baja turbo will be announced at the NY show, as per this link&#151;but we already knew that. ;)

Bob
    I meant I wonder if those are cloth H6 wagons, i.e. the new model.

It'll be cool to see the Baja turbo, I wonder if they'll have prices. Hope they let us get inside a Forester XT, too.

-juice
    of turbo Legacy at New York. Unless the '04 Legacy MY is super-short, which it may be, I can't image it being the sole '04 Subie line without a turbo.

Bob
    but I'm hoping they put back in the Baja turbo, what they removed from the STX: Dual-range tranny, better ground clearance, and a larger switchback opening. Also hoping for a better payload and towing.

Like I said, I'm not holding my breath...

Bob
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33- - 9770

I wonder if Subaru is considering replacing model names like Impreza, Forester, etc., with alpha-numeric names like B5, B7, etc.?

Bob
    Interesting find. I wonder what made them go from even to odd numbers.

Ken
    The "B" stands for Boxer, as in Boxer 11 Sport (B11S). But the 11 has no significance. Maybe that'll be the new series name, like BMW uses 3, 5, and 7?

Names like "22B" used to give the displacement, 2.2l Boxer.

I think it would not be smart to dump the names, look at what happened to Acura after they renamed the Legend the RL. Sales plummeted.

-juice
    << I think it would not be smart to dump the names, look at what happened to Acura after they renamed the Legend the RL. Sales plummeted. >>

Only the RL suffered any long term damage, and that's more because of the car, not the name change. The Integra and Vigor didn't suffer. If anything the Vigor replacement is far more successful.

Bob
    I read somewhere(??) that the "11" stood for large car platform at Subaru.

Bob
    I like the idea of a name change. If future Subarus are going to make quite a break (visually) from previous models, a name change could be very helpful. Consider the following:

Impreza WRX = B5WRX
    Impreza 2.5RS = B5RS
    Impreza 2.5TS = B5TS

Forester 2.5XT = B7XT

Legacy GT = B9GT

It has a very precise and "engineering" ring to it, I think. It's very European, and not Japanese.

Bob
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    Got the scoop everybody. There is a Baja turbo. How do I know? It's on the SIA SITE!

http://www.subaru.com/home/about/isuzu_auto.jsp

Hope this link works, it is a page that list the models built here in Indiana and the "Baja turbo" is on the list

TWRX
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    yep, was able to view it here too!

-Brian
    Good find!

Bob
    this is not only true for cloth H6 but for all outbacks............check fitzmall.

anybody heard of brake pulsating ? i left my 01OB unused for 3 weeks & it has rusted, my steering wobbles when i apply brakes. How come the same thing did not happen to my 02 MPV (unused for 3 weeks)....not happy with Subaru on this !
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    The 11 stands for premium.
    http://www.subaru-global.com/topics/ms/gen2003/press_b11s_en.html

I wonder if SoA will remove that Baja turbo link? :-)

-Dennis
    I dunno i leave any car unused for a few hours during rain and i get rusted rotors. Maybe it didn't rain and was dry while you were away from the MPV?

As for the wobble/pulse, check your lugnuts, if there is a dramatic change in temps your lugs may have loosened up.

-mike
    It's all about marketing, branding, image positioning, etc.

If Subaru wants to dramatically change what the market thinks of Subaru&#151;outside of gearheads like us, a sweeping change in product names is one way of doing that. Subaru has to be careful however. They have a lot of name-equity in some of their product names, and they don't want to risk losing that. Here's a suggestion:

Replace the "car" line names with an alphanumeric system, like what's been suggested. Keep the current names for SUV and crossover-like models. For example:

&#149; Justy (replacement) becomes a B5.

&#149; Impreza becomes a B7.

&#149; Legacy becomes a B9

&#149; GT coupe (neo-SVX) becomes B11, as per concept.

This is all predicated that these cars will all have boxer engines, hence the "B" designation. The numbers (5, 7, etc.) signify the body size. Sub-designations (WRX, RS, GT and engine size, 2.5, 3.0, etc.) can also be added to the end.

&#149; Forester name remains.

&#149; Baja name remains.

&#149; Outback name remains.

&#149; Upcoming 7-passenger crossover gets a "name," not an alphanumeric designation.

Bob
    TWRX: Great find! Well, I think we can guess what we'll see at the NY Auto Show!

Naming convention: I like an alphanumeric system also. It gives a better idea of the product portfolio and gets rid of the problem where some names can sound goofy in some countries (no more misspellings of Forester!).

Ken
    i like the sube names........no numbers please.....