Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    they just called it the short throw shifter, so I don't know what else (if anything) is involved.

Per Edmunds pricing, if it was included from the factory, the mirror is $260 (inv. 169), and the shifter is $ 374 (inv. $243). So, ading the labor to replace the existing part, seems to be reasonable, if not a little high.

But, I have no desire to take a new car home and start ripping it apart, or paying some local guy to do it. At least if the shifter install goes bad, it is on Subaru (I beleive the dealer installed accessories at the time of purchase are covered under the factory warranty).

The stock shifter wasn't too bad, other than an overly long throw into 5th gear (a little vaque over that way). The STi shifter in the showroom felt tighter, with more of a "snick" feel to it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Well, if the kit price is that high, the price sounds fair, I guess. I'm sure there is more labor to install more stuff!

-juice
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Hey Kevin, its me again!

I have yet to write to Autoenginuity and ask if they can display over and above their short list (which does not list auto tranny temp).

As I mentioned to you, Autotap can do that. I got an email a few weeks ago from Autotap saying that they have released a beta version of CAN support that owners can download and try out.

Juice: simple units like the Actron will read out the stored error code and the readiness indicators, but I do not believe they can display any realtime data such as we were discussing in our e-mails. The PC based systems can monitor all sorts of functions while you drive in numeric or graphical form. They mimic many of the tasks that the professional shop diagnostic systems can do.

Steve
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    Since buying my MY06 Forester turbo in October I was under the impression that there was not a hood protector (the plastic air-deflector, not the leather car bra) available for my vehicle because it's not listed among the accessories for the FXT on SOA's website.

However, I was just browsing the site and noticed they list a hood protector for the normally aspirated Forester X trims. I began wondering if this was just an oversight on their website, or if the hood deflector wasn't offered because it would interfere with the FXT's air intake.

A little more research showed that they do not make the Impreza 2.5i hood protector available under the WRX heading, however they DO list a hood protector for the Outback XT and Legacy GT models.

With a few long highway trips and almost 4000 miles on my new car, I hear rocks fly up and hit my hood/windshield all the time, and already have one significant paint chip on the hood. Does anyone here know if the Forester X's hood protector would be compatible with my XT, or will it affect the scoop's air intake?

Doug
    This may have to do with the particular shape of the hood region, the position of the scoop, and how the deflector will affect the air flow. On some designs, it might route air up and over the scoop, rather than into it.

Steve
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    There is a deflector for the turbos. It doesn't have that lip the normal ones have and is not as wide. I have one on my FXT.

-Brian
    Is your FXT an 06? I think I've seen one for the earlier models but that doesn't really help me...
    Nope, my FXT is an '04. I didn't think the hood changed in '06, just the front fascia/bumper. Maybe they're redesigning the deflector? Perhaps give SOA an email via subaru.com?

-Brian
    The hoods are definitely shaped differently over the new headlights, evident in these photos (a sharper angle over the lights on the 06s).

Thanks anyway. :)
    That certainly does change things then. I bet they're redesigning them. Do try emailing Subaru about it.

-Brian
  • tom87tom87 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am looking for info about updating and upgrading my latest purchase a 87 brat. I would like to put in a late model drivetrain from another subaru. I dont need alot of horsepower like sti. I would be greatful if anyone has info on what might fit best or where is a good place to hunt late model wrecked subarus. thanks,tom
    They specialize in recycling Subarus. They're in CT I believe.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    They are thieves. I delt with them 1x and never again. :(

-mike
  • nhroadrunnernhroadrunner Member Posts: 6
    I apologize in advance if this issue/question has been previously discussed but I was not able to find any information.

I just bought a new '06 Forester and would like to add the splash guards and possibly a few other accessories. The dealer cost for the splash guards + installation is $275. They claim it takes two hours of labor for the install which is why the price is so high. Does this make sense?

Also, I drive over 20K miles per year and want to protect my front end. Any thoughts on paint protection film (such as 3M) vs. plastic/vinyl pieces? I'd prefer to get the 3M system but don't know anyone who has it.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    First off, congratulations on your new Forester!

While I'm not familiar with the Forester splash gaurds, it may be that the dealer is rounding up the labor time and then multiplying by two (for each side).

Why not buy the splash gaurds, try installing them yourself and if things are difficult, having the dealer install them?

I think most of the material is from 3M but you need to find a distributor that has pre-cut it for the Forester. I'm sure you can search and find some places. They're sold under brand names like Invisibra and the like.

Ken
    The other choice is to call around to other dealers. Ask the next dealer if they can install for under $200, maybe.

-juice
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    It is very simple to install splash guards on Subies, the holes are already predrilled, and all the hardware and instructions come with the splashguards.

Cheers Pat.
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Also check the prices on-line.

I use 1stsubaruparts.com which is in Washington state. I think the folks on the East coast use libertysubaru.com???

Even after postage, it's a good savings from the local dealer. Especially if your local dealer charges more than the "list" price on-line like my dealer does! :mad:

Jim
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    Spoke w my dealer about mudflaps on 03 Forester. He said it takes an hour.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    an hour for mudflaps? They've GOT to be kidding! Do these mudflaps involve swapping out the entire fender or cutting sheetmetal? If not, IMO, they should only be charging the mandatory half hour. That particular shop MAY have a rule whereby they automatically charge 1 hour minimum. In which case, find a different shop.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

With labor at about $84 an hour, figure $42 plus the cost of the flaps.

I've used both Liberty Subaru and 1st Subaru Parts, and had good experiences with both. 1st even accepted Subaru Bucks for payment; I mailed them.

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Liberty accepts the Subaru Bucks as well. Extremely convenient.

Mark
    Good to know, I'll keep that in mind.

-juice
  • kev_xt_ownerkev_xt_owner Member Posts: 41
    I have a scanner from OBD-2.com. You purchase a cable (ISO for Subies, they also have CAN and the other interfases) and d/l the software from their site, installing it on a laptop computer. The beauty of this setup is that you can capture data (go out driving and let the software capture all the events), and then replay it later. Boost, MPG, MAF, lots of things all show up.

Works great on my '04 FXT and our '02 MPV (both ISO's).

Brian,

I decided to go with your recommendation and also purchased one. I've got it giving me the basic information, but so far haven't had any luck with it telling me that most desired piece of information, the transmission fluid temperature. Have you had luck? [If you think this isn't forum-worthy, my email address should be visible in my profile]

Kevin
    You know, I haven't tried to look for that. Let me look at one of the saved captures I have from my XT when I tested the cable.

-Brian
    http://obd-2.com/subarpid.htm

Looks like you can get the AT temp with the enhanced data, though I haven't tried it (never d/l it prior). Though it mentions it's for '99-'03 models...

-Brian
  • rob9000rob9000 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Forester XT with the subwoofer and door tweeters. I am putting in an Alpine head unit and am debating if I should go with decent aftermarket component speakers (like the Infinity Reference). I am not running an amp. I also have a powered Bazooka tube subwoofer I'll be using.

How good are the speakers I have versus decent aftermarket speakers? Do you know the power rating of the stock XT speakers?
    For that level of sound, go aftermarket. No question about it. The stock speakers are OK for the masses, but not for audiophiles.

-juice
    Actually even the so called upgraded OEM speakers are a pretty poor excuse for speakers.

The best dollar for dollar value is a good set of aftermarket speakers, even the poorest head unit will show a big improvement in quality sound.

Cheers Pat.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    components are nice as long as you don't mind putting a hole in your doorpanel. if you don't want to do that-- for resale purposes, theft deterrent, or maybe aesthetics-- a quality coaxial will work well, too.

I agree with Pat, the speakers are more important than the receiver (head unit).

~Colin
  • railconrailcon Member Posts: 1
    I have a '96 Legacy Outback and after trying to reprogram the remotes I realized there is no button on the wiring harness near the keyless entry controller. What I did find is a broken brown wire in the harness (I presume where the switch is suppose to be) and a white wire with a black trace coming out the side of the controller, just hanging loose. Any ideas? I would like to put everything back the way it's suppose to be but those two wires have me a bit baffled as to where they go!
  • jamison13jamison13 Member Posts: 4
    hi David

have you figured out how to install this?

thanks
  • movedormovedor Member Posts: 65
    I'm contemplating a project to put a LCD display in the back of headrests of our 2006 Outback limited plus a hard drive-based media player under the passenger seat (it can't be under the drivers seat because of the sub is already there).

I was going to use a regular DVD player built in the display, but the idea of dozens of DVDs spilled all over the car is not that appealing.

Besides, a good hard drive-based media player is so inexpensive and flexible that I think it well worth the extra labor. With a 80GB HD I can have about 80 1hr movies (that is, encoded specifically for the resolution of the LCD in the headrest, so it saves space).

But now I need to learn a few things before start ordering the parts.

Is there any +12V source available, easy access under the passenger seat?

I need to route a cable from the passenger's seat to the driver's seat. Is there good way to do it so it is not visible?

In case I screw up the installation of the LCD in the leather headrest, how much costs a new one? :-)
    I've looked at 1stsubaruparts.com and I can't tell which is the right one to order.
  • just_philjust_phil Member Posts: 86
    I've contemplated doing this too, and I have more questions than answers. But here are some thoughts.

First, I am not sure that the underseat location is ideal. Wouldn't it get too hot from the heating ducts in winter?

I would guess that you can run a wire off the power socket inside the armrest console. Also, I believe that if you remove the console, you can run the wire underneath the carpeting.

The new headrest should be under $100, but I suggest a junk yard first.

And please, let us know how it works out!
    F&S Auto Parts speciliazes in Subies, though I've never used them before. Never had to, I guess.

-juice
    And from what I hear juice, F&S Auto parts think their parts are goldplated,their prices are off the wall.

Cheers Pat.
  • movedormovedor Member Posts: 65
    The multimedia hard-drive is very small (see: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10481). Maybe it could fit in the armrest console, but I don't want to sacrifice the few storable spaces Outback has.

At this size I think I can find a place out of the way of air duct under the passenger seat. My real worry is possible HD damage from thr constant car vibration in bad roads.

Another idea is to place the HD unit right behind the LCD display in the headrest. But unless I find something with a good swivel to take out the HD, I would have to unmount the lcd everytime I need to upload new movies.

Right now I'm looking for the ideal LCD display: one that has IR transmiter for headphones and IR repeater for the multimedia HD. Without a IR repeater it will be hard to control the HD unit since it only works via its IR remote.

As soon I get all parts (probably the extra headrest) I will make a try and post the results.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    Hey guys, I stumbled across this on ebay and just had to share. The address is way long. You will probably need to copy and paste. (edit: the link works)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4606901002&- - - - - sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

It's an 1986 wagon that was a promo-car for an after-market parts supplier. The auction has ended. It sold for $2850. The listing has a link to a video (with sound) of it crossing a river that must be close to 3 feet deep (well, maybe 2.5 ft). For the money, it would be a hoot to own such a toy.

james
    Looks like fun.

What surprises me is how clean it is, looks like no rust at all, for an '86 that's been in the rough stuff? Wow...

-juice
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    There are a lot of old Subies in Oregon and Washington. Subarus have always sold pretty well in the Pacific NW and we don't salt the roads here, so rust is less of a problem than back east.

They seem to last forever. Here's a quick sample from Craig's List... just ones with photos. There are more :surprise:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/car/129631372.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/car/129667538.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/car/129474325.html

An old Subie wagon would make a fine second car if well taken care of... or as a recreational vehicle. Check out the load of kayaks on the last one!!!

james
    In the NE they tend to salt the roads, so we see a lot more rust. And those Subies were the only cars out on the roads in those situations. ;)

-juice
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some people just know how to travel. :P

I'm not sure what that thing on the driver's side is - a rocket box? Probably full of breakdown paddles and pfds.

Some guy here is advertising on Craigslist seeking a one-owner used Outback. I resisted responding.

Steve, Host
    Pretty cool video!!!
  • goneskiiangoneskiian Member Posts: 381
    Has anyone added this after driving the stock shifter for a while? Did you think it was an improvement or not?

Contemplating this change but looking for some feedback.

Thanks!
    -Ian

p.s. Sorry for the x-post but I thought this might be a better place to get some feedback. I've searched but haven't come up with a whole lot of input. Thanks!
    I put it on my 94 Legacy Turbo. I love it.

-mike
    Hey guys, just got back from VIR for 3 days of racing/HPDEing. Had a blast as it snowed on Saturday! I actually lapped most of the cars during my sessions in the snow and no one passed me. Gotta love the AWD.

Next items for the car will be coilovers and cage before race season starts.

-mike
  • declansdaddeclansdad Member Posts: 120
    Mike,

I saw some pics on the nabisco site of the last VIR event and your car was in one of the shots. How many "crew" members do you take with you when you travel? Do you share track time with anyone in your crew? Just curious. I would love to go watch a track event sometime in the future.

Michael
  • ll1ll1 Member Posts: 35
    Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about ECU mods for a 2005 forester XT such as the Cobb AccessPORT. Sounds great on paper, but also heard some stories of problems as well? Would only think about Stage 1 mod myself anyways, and wondering if it is a safe modification at all....
    Cool mike, I bet the others were more nervous driving, too.

-juice
    We usually take anywhere from 1 to 3 or 4 folks along. The more they help the less it costs them to come along :) Since I'm an instructor I can take passengers out on track with me so I usually get the crew out for at least a ride along. Generally it's folks who can't afford the track day itself (~$150-200) but want to be involved and come hang. We always hope the crew gets into driving eventually and I've found that most who transition from crewing to driving have a big advantage because they are so much more comfortable at the track, with the car, and have heard us spouting about driving on track for a year or so!

Always have fun at the track, next event is March 25th at Limerock if anyone is in the area.

-mike