Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

1100101102103104106»

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I have a set of 5-spokers with dents in em but they still hold air and are balanceable that I want to unload, I may just put em on my dad's impreza in the spring.

-mike
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Mike I don't need rims now since I already bought a set of new ones.

Cheers Pat.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I guess tonight could be our Crew World Series party since last night's game makes me think there's a slim chance the Series might not last until next Thursday! :P

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • lelandslelands Member Posts: 3
    My 2004 Forester XT fried a bearing in the turbocharger after 70,000 miles. The dealer said it was due to a faulty oil seal and is out of warranty. The dealer wanted $2380 for the part and $500 for labor. Since I am a pretty good mechanic, I would like to upgrade the turbo to a ball bearing unit and install it myself. Are the any turbos out there that can give additional horse power and good fuel mileage. I would like to spend $1500 or less but would be willing to spend more if I am convinced that it is money well spent.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    hmmm... I would think if you got "faulty oil seal" in writing, you might have a leg to stand on with Subaru. I mean, 70k is alot of miles, but if it was a manufacturer defect .... i dunno, worth a shot, I think.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    I don't blame you for wanting to upgrade to a better turbocharger, as the TD04 unit used in the XT is pretty small for a 2.5L application, but I'm not sure it's that simple. Your XT's ECU is programmed for the stock turbocharger; if you upgraded it you would likely need a professional tune which can be pricey, and perhaps even require supporting modifications like a larger intercooler.

Try posing your question over at subaruforester dot org, the mod-savvy folks over there are pretty helpful.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    No posts in over 2 years???

I did a quick search, but didn't see anything that is a direct plug-in for the older style radios. Maybe someone has a lead on some product I missed.

I have the stock AM/FM/WB/Cassette radio, with the OEM single disk CD player below which replaces the little pocket bin. Insert a disk into the aux deck, and the radio switches over to disk control mode.

I also have a Honda Odyssey with a similar 'two head' arrangement. Several companies make an interface that uses an unused multipin jack on the back, but I don't think the Subi systems have such a direct way in.

I would think that a Y cable could be configured that breaks the current connection between the radio and CD deck, and 'switching logic' could control which talks to the radio. Does anybody know of such an interface? I am currently utilizing a cassette adapter and it works pretty well, but I'd like to make this more integrated if possible.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    No, but a 6CD changer from a 02+ WRX ought to fit just fine, if you wanted to do a swap. They're a dime a dozen, and the harnesses match so it's purely plug-n-play. Maybe get a newer model with an aux in instead?

I put one on my 98 Forester (from an 02 WRX).

Liked it so much I did it again for my wife's 02 Legacy.

Our 09 Forester's stereo is fine so I haven't touched it (no need).
    Interesting idea. I didn't know that the newer ones came with an aux input. Any idea what year unit has this? Have they remained plug compatible with the older style radio throughout the years?
    I wish I did.

The 2002 WRX 6CD changer did not, but that's all I've worked on.

For my 93 Miata I went to Crutchfield and got a Dual stereo that had an input (I ran the wires myself).
  • creativeguy1creativeguy1 Member Posts: 1
    Where is the picture of the 1 piece vent shade? That's just what I'm looking for my "new" 03 baja. I live in Oregon and would like to be able to have my windows cracked open sometime. I've tried to find vent shades for the Baja but have been unsuccessful. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    That could be a tough one. Ventshade.com and others make them for the Legacy and Outback, both sedan and wagon. I would think that these would fit the front windows, but the rear door glass is unique on the Baja. You'll have to search the mall parking lot for one of these, park beside it and compare to see which shape would be the best fit.
    Steve I just noticed this post, Google Grom, or Xcar-link.

Cheers Pat.
    Hey Pat,

Thanks for trying, but neither have anything for older Subaru radios.

I have the stock radio with cassette, and the optional CD in the lower slot. I starting researching wiring harness options to feed in an audio signal and put a blank CD in the drive to activate the aux input. Some others have done something like that successfully.

Other option is to simply replace the whole head unit. Looks like given the current economics I'm married to the old beast (not that I really mind - she's still a great ride) for a few more years, so I might as well do some kind of upgrade
    edited September 2011
    Hi again Steve, I would just replace the head unit, you can get aftermarket head units for about 100 bucks that you can run an Ipod on. They also have an AUX in and MP3 capability.
    That is a single din unit, double din a bit more expensive. JVC have a nice double din with everything you would need for about 250 Bucks

Cheers Pat.
    What? And give up one of the last remaining cassette players in America???

Just kidding........

Actually, one of the small things holding me back would be giving up the weather band. I actually use it - on the road and at home! We live in a zero 1x/3G reception area, so when cable goes down in severe weather, that silly car radio becomes our alert system. I guess I'll just have to go out and get one of the Eton emergency radios and give up the car unit.
    Decisions- decisions :D

Cheers Pat.
    Well, after wanting wanting an in dash navigation head unit for years I finally took the plunge and splurged.

I installed a JVC KWNT3 DVD player with navigation, rear view camera and blue tooth. Not cheap but then I thought what the hell you only live once, so I went for it.

I went for a professional install and set up, it also involved a separate module to keep my steering wheel audio controls, I didn't want any wire splicing either as the car is still in warranty. So any screw up the installer is on the hook.

Cheers Pat.
    More, more....

In which car? The Protoge5?

How much for each piece, and in total?
    edited October 2011
    juice, the Protege5 is long gone. I now have a 2010Mazda3 GT Sport Hatch.

The JVC NT3 Headunit was $750 on sale.

Double din install kit $70
    Steering wheel audio module $100.
    Rear view camera $75.
    Professional install $150.
    + applicable taxes on total.

Not cheap but still cheaper than the Mickey Mouse in dash navigation that Mazda has in the 3. It is not a stand alone option either but part of a package that makes it extremely expensive. I have read numerous complaints on different Mazda forums about the Mazda Navi.

This is an amazing unit that makes the cost well worthwhile. I can now for the first time actually hear anything from my tweeters. The array of function contols is mind boggling especially for a tech illiterate like myself.

It has Dolby 5.1 surround sound so my music sounds great even in a hostile audio enviroment like a car. It has a seven band equaliser so I can tailor the sound. Like I said I can now hear all the highs and can hear the different instruments.

Cheers Pat.

I am going to have this car for at least 9 more years.

So I figured what the hell I enjoy my music so why not go for it.
    Sounds good (literally). You probably saved at least $600-800 over OEM, and that's before you consider that you're forced to buy certain packages to have the option even available.

I would consider that for the wife's Forester, so it was $1200 when all was said and done?

How does the JVC Nav compare to portables (if you're familiar with those)?
    I have experience with portable GPS, we have a Tom-Tom Go 630 and the JVC beats it hands down. As well with the JVC you have a fully integrated unit in the car, no windshield or dash mounts to worry about, no wires hanging all over the place. I would do it again in a heartbeat after just having it for a short time, there is nothing negative, I love the blue tooth, the rear camera, and superb music system and built in Nav. What's not to like.

As an aside I priced out the OEM 6CD head unit that was standard in the car. I needed the quote for insurance comparison against the aftermarket.
    The OEM unit priced out at $1260 CDN plus 13% taxes.

Cheers Pat.
    I actually bought this for my newer Toyota, as my OBW is way too old to need this. For those of you that run winter tires, this OBD port tool enables you to reprogram the ECU to see the second set of sensors installed in your winter wheel/tires. It saves a trip (and $50-60) fee per seasonal changeover.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    Thanks for the tip, Steve. That might be a reasonable alternative to just saying "no thanks" to the TPMS nanny.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited January 2012
    The rest of the details, Wes:

I found a guy on eBay that buys genuine Toyota (TRW) TPMS valve/sensors in boxes of 100, and made him an offer of $95 for a set of 4. He said yes, so that was a good deal (about half of regular retail). I assume that someone must be doing something similar with Subi senders, or contact AllTireSupply.com for aftermarket senders and rebuild kits.

TireRack used to sell the ATEQ reset tool, but reportedly stopped due to the relatively poor customer support offered by the manufacturer. Revolution Supply seems to be the only remaining reseller, and the price went up from $130 to $150 as I didn't jump quickly enough. Oh well, it will still pay for itself in a year or so, and the convenience of being able to do this at home without tying up the van for a day at the dealership is, well, priceless!

I found the software install to be poorly documented (probably works fine with win xp, but required patches for win 8 64bit). Once installed, it ran faultlessly. The van recognized the 4 new codes, and the dash light went out within a few miles of driving.