Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

Comments

• locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    wow, that is pretty short. Ken, I'd offer to trade but then we'll both be out a car at least a day even if we overnighted them. ;-)

-Colin
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Colin,
    Haven't made the decision if I like it or not yet but I'll keep you in mind if I decide I don't want it. I still have my stock Forester shifter so I could put that back in and send out the Kartboy.
    Ken
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Mine is here:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1400062&a=12183873&p=44301948&Sequence=0&res=high

So mine and the STi are the same, but the RS and Forester stock are not.

In length, it looks like in order, longest to shortest:

Forester OE

RS OE and STi (aka SPT) are about the same

kartboy is shortest

-juice
    juice,

Oh yeah, that photo. I thought you meant a side-by-side post installation comparison.

Looks like the Impreza L shifter is the same as the Foresters:

http://www.azscooby.com/mods/AZScooby/Peaty/shiftlever.php

I guess if I went to a 2.5 RS shifter I would probably get a shorter throw. The local dealer sells just the shift lever for $65.

I'm still conteplating.

Colin -- would ya be interested in buying a used Kartboy lever? :)

Ken

How much was it? We could swap and I'll pay the difference, or whatever.

-Colin
    Gotta love a parts swap!

-juice
    Colin,

I just e-mailed an offer to you at your bigfoot address. Let me know what you think.

Ken
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    would enjoy seeing a group of grown men discussing whose is shorter for 2 straight days. It is a guaranteed ROFLMAO to go back and read this thread from a certain perspective ;-) Sorry. Long day at work....
  • ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    my stepdad just broke 2 thread bolts from the miata's wheel hub. how much does it cost to fix it? anyone know? juice? colin?
  • rplumrplum Member Posts: 48
    at your local tire mart sort of place i seem to remember wheel stud replacements (parts and labor) going for $30-$40/stud.

at least that's what I recall it costing on my fiance's Pontiac Sure-Fire.....

RP
    Ryan is correct. Call the local dealer too.

In the future, use anti-seize on the studs and make sure to set the torque properly with a torque wrench. (mazda alloys take like 70-75lb/ft)

-Colin
  • theobtheob Member Posts: 148
    I'm wondering if Subaru engineers have thought through their recommendation on towing, 2000# with brakes. Since most of the trailers in the weight range with brakes would have electric brakes, I would think they have made provisions, or at least prototyped how that would be done in an OB. I wonder if they have a recommended electric brake controller, recommended mounting location, wires in the vehicle harness or recommended routing for separate wires for the brake control. Didn't we have a Sube engineer visiting here occasionally? Patti, do you have any info?

Note: Electric brakes require separate wiring from what is available in the 4-pin trailer lighting plug. The amperage can exceed what most lighting systems are capable of sourcing. In addition there usually must be a means of manual brake application, separate from the brake pedal.
    Thanks in advance,
    Theo
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Excellent questions regarding trailer brakes...

Bob
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    ...come in a few different forms, don't they? When I had my ski boat, it had surge brakes. It was a dual axel trailer, with the braking wheels on one axel. The brakes operated by the pressure applied at the ball hitch. As you slowed down, the trailer pressed up against the ball, which caused the brakes to automatically apply. The harder you stopped, the harder the brakes would apply. I believe the trailer was about 6000# with the boat (22' Ski Centurion).

I know the brakes worked. With an empty trailer, you could lock up the brake wheels with a quick apply of the brakes.

A manually controlled electric brake is probably way safer (and more reliable), but the surge brakes worked for my trailer.

-Brian
  • gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    Thought this plug would be okay as someone will gain from it! I'm selling my 2.5 RS (on Autotrader.com) and I put the stock air-box back on. The JC Sports intake is on Bay. Let me know if any of you have any questions about these intakes. On Autotrader.com use the 93105 zip code and a 3 mile search. Thanks!
    Yes there are several types. I've looked into this a bit, and the last trailer dealer I spoke to recommended electric brakes. You can adjust the amount of braking needed (loaded vs unloaded trailer) with electric brakes. You have a switch mounted inside the vehicle, usually under the dash, to adjust the braking.

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I like the surge brakes, less electrical un-certainty IMHO.

-mike
    is that you don't have any control over the amount of braking that is needed, which could mean you might lock the trailer brakes more easily, therefore greatly increasing your risk of losing control of the trailer.

If you're pulling a trailer where the trailer weight is always about the same, say with a boat trailer, they may be okay. If, however, you're pulling a utility trailer, where the weight of the trailer (with payload) may vary considerably each time you use it, surges brakes may not be a good idea.

I asked the trailer dealer about surge brakes, and he wasn't very fond of them. He strongly recommended electric brakes.

Bob
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I think if you're just into 'casual' trailer-ing, like running to Menards for lumber or hauling junk to the dump, then a surge brake trailer would be fine (and probably cheaper). If I had to choose between a trailer with no brakes or one with surge brakes, I'd take the surge.

If you're going on a trip (vacation, etc.) with a trailer, then I'd go with the electric brakes.

-Brian
  • stevekstevek Member Posts: 362
    I was pullng a camper for years and the electric brakes worked fine. They also had controls in the cab and you can adjust them on the fly according to road/load conditions. The brakes on the trailer need yearly maintenance to assure the wires are in good shape and the magnets are clean.
    Theo: good points, and Subaru's harness only has the 4-pin plug for the trailer (i.e. no connector for brakes).

Talk about trailers, I think I may buy one, smaller than Bob's, like the one Hutch bought. It seems I find a use for one just about every single weekend.

Suggestions? Would used be OK?

-juice
    Don't know anything about them. I think(?), in Maryland they need to be inspected just like a car.

You might want to visit some trailer dealers to window-shop and get some info first. I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 4x8. You might want to haul paneling at some point.

Bob
    I'd only buy used. The premium for new ones isn't worth it. Basically any trailer you buy, you'll need to have the bearings re-packed and or replaced. Other than that there isn't much to em. In NYS they get a yearly inspection like cars, but people rarely actually get em inspected unless they use it often. I had a wheel nearly come off my boat trailer 1 mile from the guy's house where I bought the boat! Luckily it just needed a set of bearings and it's been perfect ever since.

-mike
    Thanks for the advice. Hutch got one that is 4'x8' but not as tall as yours, Bob. It was a bit lighter duty but more than enough for my needs. I just want to be able to bring in mulch and wood chips, basically.

Any trailer dealers around here (MD)?

-juice
    There's one up Rt.15, just north of Frederick on the left. I don't remember the name.

There's one just off Rt. 27 in Mt Airy, just north of I-70 on the right, across the street from Century Ford. It's not on Rt. 27, but can be seen from Rt. 27. At least the Ford dealer can be seen. It's a farm supply store that also sells trailers and trailer parts.

Then there's Jiffy Hitch, which is where I got mine. They're located in Baltimore and Millersville. Here's their link:

http://www.jiffyhitch.com/html/hitches_parts.html

There are many more dealers. Those are the ones I'm familiar with.

Bob
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    This information is for anybody who is considering swapping out the factory am fm cassette unit in the Legacy GT or any other sube with the antenna in the glass.

If you do not plan on using a wire harness to hook up an aftermarket head unit to the factory wire harness be aware that the sube window antenna has a power signal booster that needs power when the radio is on otherwise you are going to have poor to no reception.

This information only applys if you splice into the facory wiring, you need to hook up the power antenna wire to the brown wire in the subaru harness, I learned this the hard way a wire harness was not available here for some reason so I hooked into the factory harness on the sub hook up and never thought about the window antenna having a booster, I can tell you I thought about it when I had poor reception, The moral of the story here is if a wire harness is available to hook up whatever head unit you buy use it and save yourself a lot of grief.

Cheers Pat.
    Trailer owners: what did you pay for your trailers?

I'm starting to hunt around for used ones. If not, I'll buy one new.

-juice
    I'm working from memory here, but mine was about $800.00 new. That's a 5x8 trailer with a GVW of around 2500-2900#.

In addition, I added a third (tongue) wheel for easy maneuvering in my driveway, a spare tire, wood sides, many tie-downs on the floor planks, plus mis. hardware.

I'm guessing(?) my total investment to be about $1200.00, perhaps a bit less.

So, juice, if you're looking for a 4x8, the costs would be quite a bit less. You should ask Hutch, since he has a trailer similar to what you want.

Bob
    Ouch, way out of my intended price range. Of course I'm looking for a lighter duty 4'x8', more like what Hutch has. I may have to buy used with my price target ($400 or so).

-juice

PS Hutch paid $840 for his, and still had to build the sides. Gotta rethink the budget I guess. That's a lot of delivered mulch and wood chips!
    $400-$500 wouldn't be out of the question.

I'll keep my eyes peeled upstate for you. Once summer comes people usually have tons of em on their lawns for sale.

-mike
    the base price for Hutch's was more than my larger 5x8 unit.

$400 is possible, but you may have to do a lot of looking to find one in that price range. Used 4x8 trailers are somewhat rare, and may be hard to find.

Bob
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Juice- Don't be such a wuss! Afterall, you did nickname her Sandy. A few bags of mulch won't ruin her. Just use a durable drop cloth in the interior and you'll be fine. Okay, I'll butt out now.

-Frank P.
    hehehe
    just needs a new toy—nothing wrong with that. ;)

Bob
    juice,

Could you repost your horn modification? Which horn did you use? Some idiot in a pickup cut me off today and I really wished I had a beefier horn to blast her!

Ken
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Bob- Of course Juice needs a new toy. But a utility trailer is a poor substitute for a WRX! :(o)

-Frank P.
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Has anyone yet suggested the Costco or Home Depot option? They usually have some little 4x8 kits (some assembly required) that include lights & wiring for around US$400... Then you fire up the wood shop & build yourself some walls or stake sides, ramps, etc... oughta be good for at least a couple more trips to the hardware store... in the Subaru of your choice, of course.. :)

Cheers!
    Paul
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    I know I had asked about this a while back (post 555-559), and Pat had told me about Jacobs Electronics, but I have another question. When I was at Flemington Subaru a couple of weeks ago I was talking with one of the salesmen who told me you can add both heated and lumbar support to the seats aftermarket. They basically send it out to someone to redo the seats. My questions are this: Does anybody know of anyone within the NYC area who may do the same thing? Also, has anyone done this to their car and was it worth it? I am thinking of doing it for my wife who has a bad back. This way I can get her to go on some more Subaru outings like the covered bridge tour last month.:)

Thanks,
    Mark
    Yeah, but the boss (read: wife) has given the green light for a $400 trailer.

She likes bigger cars, so I'll sell her on a Blitzen when Subaru starts offering them. All it would take is one drive!

The trailer would give Sandy as much utility as I'd ever need. Though friends may start asking me to help them move...uh-oh.

I fit 22 x 3 cubic foot bags of cedar mulch, but it turns out that was not nearly enough. The stuff packs down, so turns out I need a LOT more. I could have it delivered for maybe $200, but that plus all the mulch I use and I could pay off the trailer in just one season.

OK, you got me. I just want a new toy!

-juice

PS Ken - mine is the Highway Blaster, about $10 from Pep Boys. Get the low note, loud one. But if you really want loud, there's nothing like Hella twin horns!
    I have the hella trumpet air-horns mounted in parrallel with my stock horns in the Trooper. This I find to be very effective :)

-mike
    Re: Trailers

I stopped by TSC Tractor Supply Co. in Mt Airy this afternoon. You may want to check them out, as far as trailers are concerned.

They have a 4x6 tilt lawn mower trailer for $299.99.

This a neat place to go to, if you're into farm equipment. While I was there I picked up their catalogue. In the trailer section they offer (besides the above mentioned trailer):

4x8 trailer kit for $229.99
    4x8 tilt trailer for 399.99
    5x8 trailer w/gate for $499.99

All these trailers are rated for 2000# (Class I)

They also have larger trailers too. Here's their web site. You can find directions on the site.

Bob

http://www.tractorsupplyco.com/map/html/md.htm
  • entomanentoman Member Posts: 2
    Hello:

I've lurked on this site for awhile and have enjoyed the varied discussions going on here. I have an audio problem and I hope you can help. I am a somewhat new owner of a base 2K OB and just bought a 6 ad changer (FM modulator type). When it came to linking it to my radio I realized I need to remove the radio to access the antenna jack (oh no!!). The trim around the radio/heater heads is resisting my efforts to pull it off. Any suggestions on accessing this jack w/out removing the radio would be appreciated.

IA,

entoman
  • originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    The key is to firmly pull at the AC surround at the points where the tabs hold it in place. If you don't have the Subaru instructions you can check out mine posted at http://bitman.com/soobdash/changer1.html. Click on diagram to go to next page. No doubt about it you will have to pull out the radio to get at the antenna wire. But you will only need to remove the screws labeled '"C" on the second page and then pull the whole HVAC unit forward a bit. Then you should be able to slide your hand over the top and get at the antenna wire. If you have trouble or want further instructions email me: mike@bitman.com.

bit

• seamus3seamus3 Member Posts: 98
    just got back from a little drive, hit some of the more "country" roads. i received my xenon replacement bulbs from susquehanna motor sports (plug).
    they were really easy to do, for some reason i didn't think it would be. it took maybe 15 minutes tops.
    the difference between the wanna be halogens i had in before and the xenon i have now is ridiculous. the beam is sooooooooooooooo much much much more clear and I can see way better now. a great, pretty cheap little mod to do.

I started having problems with my intake yesterday. my car would start but it wouldn't run. I checked the tube that runs to the MAF sensor and it was still connected. after 20 minutes of swearing and cursing my car it started and ran fine. i think i am going to take my intake back to the guy who made it. can i reattach my original hosing and filter box? i don't have the snorkus, it was turned into a couple of pieces in it's exctraction. i have a K&N filter so the difference won't be drastic but it will be different.

seamus
    Which Xenons did you order from ken? I have to start thinking about lights, horns and a whole host of stuff for my new Auto-x car :)

-mike
    Did you pick up the XT6 yet, mike? If so, are you going to replace the head gasket and run it?

Bob: excellent info. I'll probably go up there tonight and just bite the bullet. That trailer kit plus some extras ought to fall into my price range.

I'll keep you guys posted.

-juice
    Nope, picking up the MX6 this coming week :) Couldn't pass up such a low milage car that gets me into H-stock :)

-mike
    All the trailers they offer aren't in stock up in Mt Airy. I did see 4x6 and 5x8 trailers. I didn't see a 4x8. They also had many larger trailers.

I picked up a thick catalogue (near the front door) which listed everything this chain offers. If you want a 4x8, you may have to order it. Also, you could check the Westminster dealer, which is also listed. Give them a call first.

Bob
    you'll need a smaller ball. If you recall, you got a 2" ball for my trailer. These trailers, because they're light-duty, use a 1 7/8" ball.

Bob
    Is it auto or 5 speed?

-juice