Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Griot's Garage Products

kjaureliokjaurelio Member Posts: 33
Has anyone used any products from Griot's Garage
(www.griotsgarage.com)? I have a New Beetle and it
seems they have some very high quality products
for keeping your car clean and protected.

Comments

• Options
    rjannielrjanniel Member Posts: 1
    I have been ordering stuff from Griots for years
    and have been very pleased with their products.

But as with any catalog you have to pick and choose your items. Some tend to be a bit pricey, and some no better or worse than anywhere else.

Particularly like the following:
    - Synthetic chamois
    - Leather Care
    - Rubber/vinyl protector
    - fuel protector
    - Paint cleaning clay
    - all of the polishes (including glass)
    - Trunk bag
  • Options
    rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    Any experience with this brush. Griot's says it won't scratch and sure seems logical that dirt would float away from bristles a whole lot more than a sponge or cotton chenille. I like looking at the catalog, but sure seems pricy compared to WalMart.
  • Options
    kjaureliokjaurelio Member Posts: 33
    I think I will try their products. I'm hoping my wife will get me the Porter-Cable random orbital polisher for Christmas :-) I also want the polishing "starter kit". I have a New Beetle that sits outside, so I really want to take care of it.
  • Options
    smollersmoller Member Posts: 2
    Bought mine directly from a manufacturer for 40 or 45 dollars. If I remember Griot wants about 70.
    Anyway it is a great product. You keep relatively dry and comfortable (mine is attached to a broom handle)therefore can wash the car in colder weather than when using a mitt or towel. Havent noticed any negative effect on the new car paint.
    I do take the precaution of using two buckets, one to soap the brush and one to rinse before soaping again. Also I dont use the boar brush on the wheels.
  • Options
    Do you think that the brush cleans as well as a mitt? I'm thinking of the brush, especially for winter use, just like you. I'm wondering if it will really work to remove road salts/chemicals. Cars can get real dirty in winter. I found a manufacturer called "Braun" that sells several sizes of the brush. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    smollersmoller Member Posts: 2
    In actual use the boar brush seems fine, although I have not yet gone through a winter using it. All I can say is that when you think about it, it would seem that rubbing with a mitt would be more effective at cleaning the car than brushing it. But I must say that every time I use the brush, which is always now, I am impressed all over again with how effective (yet gentle) it is.
  • Options
    thanks smoller. Got mine via UPS a few days ago. Perhaps will get a chance to check it out this weekend (on my wife's car - :)) Might just be the thing for winter washing.
  • Options
    leeb1leeb1 Member Posts: 3
    How about some info on where exactly you buy the boars hair wash brushes (other than Griot's Garage)?

smoller: What "manufacturer"?? How much?

rs petty: How about a phone # or URL for "Braun"??
  • Options
    www.braunbrush.com - look under the automotive section.
  • Options
    Tried mine this weekend. I can say with one use that I am satisfied with result. A soft brush like this is not going to get the toughest winter grime off in just one swipe. Cold water doesn't seem to soften up the dirt the same as in summer time. I did have to redo a couple of sections on the lower panels that didn't quite come clean on the first try. The upside is you can wash the car in about 15 minutes versus 30-45 with a mit. I think the brush is much better for washing this type of gritty dirt than a mit because the brush would rinse much better. If you need it absolutely clean I would wash with a mit after using the brush. I saw no signs of brush marks in the finish, but just the act of washing a car with typical winter grime will put some marks on a car.
  • Options
    jsterjster Member Posts: 112
    I remember reading a detailing book years ago where they recommended a "pigskin" brush as the best thing to wash a car with..never could find one, but I guess this "Boar's hair brush" must have been what they were talking about.

Would appreciate hearing from anybody who uses this product. Does it work well...and is it gentle on paint?
  • Options
    jsterjster Member Posts: 112
    sorry...not sure why that happened
  • Options
    pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    That can happen sometimes if you reload or refresh your browser while your post is still in the posting window.

However, you can get rid of posts you didn't mean to make. See how the post number is actually a link for your own posts? If you click that link, you will have a couple of options - "scribble" means delete. So you can delete your duplicate posts this way.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • Options
    goodwingoodwin Member Posts: 24
    i got a griot's boars head brush the other day in the mail and have used it twice so far. it is gentle enough on my truck but i find that it losses the hair easy and after i'm done just before drying it i notice the hair stuck all over my truck. i will still use it but i will go over the truck will a mitt also on top of it to make sure it's nice and clean.
  • Options
    fbradbu1fbradbu1 Member Posts: 4
    Give it time. I've had one for 7 years and after the hair fell out it was fine. If its still falling out after a month, return it. It just needs to break in a bit.
This discussion has been closed.