Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    Carrie:

Glad to hear you had your radio problem fixed.
    Our Civic just went over 2000 miles and last tank of gas I am getting 40 MPG with AT. Most are freeway driving with A/C on. My daughter only got 20+ MPG 100% local short distance. I'm keeping an eye on the next tank to see what kind of gas mileage we will get. Maybe our car finally broke in after my heavy foot hard drving for the last couple hundreds miles.

hey_herb:

We typical torque # 8 hardware (metal screws to metal nuts or helicoil) 16 in-lbs. 1/4"-28 Screws to 84 in-lbs ( 7 ft-lbs). I don't know what size is Civic filter box screw go to be large than 1/4"-28 to torque to 16 ft-lbs.

bjk
  • access3219access3219 Member Posts: 2
    New (and happy) owner of a used 1997 honda ex 49,990 miles. Looks black from far off but is really a dark green and in the sun looks like a blue green. unknown color name. My old car was a 1986 4dr silver chevy nova with 216k, purchased in 1995 for 300.00 in a yard sale...whenever I replaced anything it was 0-200 dollars max to fix...as I have been reading, I see hondas are expensive to fix...
    hopefully the honda will give me 200k also with a minimum of repairs. with a combination of hwy and street, stop and go, I am getting 34 mpg.
    I miss my stick in the nova, dont know what to do with my other foot...smile
  • dash400mdash400m Member Posts: 55
    I recently had the front windshield wiper assembly repaired on the '85 wagon (internal linkage and bearings, excluding the motor). The linkage is now sound tight, but the blades give off a ruff-rubbing noise when I turn the wipers on. This happens when the windshield is dry or wet. The blades and inserts are aftermarket, so I'll replace them with a Honda order. If this doesn't work, what would you recommend? The wiper arms from the lower half of the assembly (Honda), seem to be properly alligned. Could it be a gritty windshield?!? I have an '89 wagon (185,000 miles), and the wiper assembly is quiet, regardless of whether the windshild is dry or wet.

Thanks as always. BTW: I'm looking for a '74 Civic, 2-door with a back hatch (rust-free)!
  • auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    Will it make the noise if you fold them up off the glass and run the motor? If so then it maybe to the new bushings being a bit dry or something. If not then see if it happens after the Honda blades are on. Gritty glass usally just streaks as it tries to clear, I havent seen it make wipers noisy but I guess it could..Also is it possible that there is too much downward presure. First try the Honda parts..Good luck.
    No. There's no noise when the blades are folded upward at 90 degrees. The wiper motor runs smooth too. The downward pressure being too high (firm or tight) is a possibility. How can this be reduced? I'll try to pick up a pair of Honda blade arms and inserts tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens. I forgot to mention that the noise was evident before I had the linkage fixed. The shop ignored the noise (I guess). I can always take it back, but I'd prefer to try the Honda parts myself first for the fix.

Later...
  • seafseaf Member Posts: 339
    I just received a recall notice from Honda about my '99 Honda Civic VP. I've heard other civic owners having ignition problems in forums before, but I've never had the ignition die out after I started the car (it said this was one of the symptoms). Sometimes it is hard to start the engine when the fuel is less than 1/4 full, but I can alleviate that by turning on the fuel pump with the key at ON position for a few seconds before cranking the engine.

So my question is this, should I go in to the dealer and have them change it anyway? On the one hand I want to be safe than sorry, but on the other I don't want to risk them breaking something that isn't broke to start with. During my first tire rotation at the dealer, they managed to mess up the alignment, but I went back and had the alignment done for free. (now I do the oil changes & tire rotations myself)

Also I should note that according to my VIN, my car was built in the Canadian plant rather than in the U.S.
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    You need to have the problem fixed, even if you aren't currently having any problems. If you don't trust the dealer you bought the vehicle from take it to a different dealer. Just because you bought it there doesn't mean you must have it serviced there.

The ignition switch recall also included my '99 CR-V. I drove 30 miles, passing by two closer Honda dealers, to take it to the dealer I trust. It was worth the drive.

Good luck.
  • civicchiccivicchic Member Posts: 5
    Hello -seaf-- I have a 2002 civic lx that has a hard start problem also. I will also give a suggestion to go to another dealer. When I got the car my dealer was great, when I had problems, they just played the blame game. American Honda hasn't been much help either. I have had the car since April it has 4,000 miles on it, it has been in the shop twice. The beater I traded in was more reliable than my civic. I hope to hear soon that they are recalling 2002's also. Can you keep me posted if you find out what this problem is.Thanx in advance
  • edwarda1edwarda1 Member Posts: 18
    I get an intermittant clanging noise that appears to be coming from the trunk. It is most prevalent on hard right turns, but also sometime on left turns. I can go weeks without hearing it, but sometimes 2-3 days in a row. Would appreciate help. Thanks.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Your tire changing tools!

I'm serious.
  • dweinreichdweinreich Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2002 Honda Civic. I had completed all the paperwork, the dealer
    detailed the car, and then asked me to take a look to make sure there were no problems.
    I noticed a small but significant ding on the front quarter panel. My initial instinct was to ask for a new car.
    He, however, assured me that the ding would be repaired without difficulty and gave me a reciept to return for the work to be done.
    Did I do the right thing? Should the dealer offer me some compensation for my time and the
    inconvenience? If the ding can't be repaired completely what are my options?
  • pro_hondapro_honda Member Posts: 14
    Hey everyone,

I am new to 'townhall' and thought I would post my car problem to see if anybody else is experiencing anything similar:

I own a 1997 Civic (non-vtec) that has 105000 kms (60000 miles). At about 60000 kms, the car started to knock (fairly loudly) when the car was started for the first time on a very cold day. The knocking sound would dissapear after the engine warmed up. My concern is that this knocking sound has gotten worse up until now. At the present time, the engine almost always knocks at startup, unless the engine has recently been running. Even on a 70 degree day, the engine will knock. Recently I left the car for a week, and it took about 10 minutes of running time for the sound to dissapear. I am convinced that in the not too distant future, the car will knock even when it is warm. I have checked Honda service bulletins and all I have found is a reference to a cold start knock (piston slap) that should stop after 2-3 minutes and that THIS IS NORMAL. How can Honda say that this is normal, when there are millions of cars on the road that do not do this?

Has anyone experienced this problem, and if so, has there been any resolution or fix?

Thanks for your time.
    I have a similar sound with the startup. I have a 1999 Civic VP. Except instead of a "knocking" sound, it sounds like a higher pitched, like a belt slipping. Or I guess it could sound like a metal slapping sound. It's about the same frequency as the engine's rpm, but when the engine is loaded as when I am accelerating, the noise is gone, it's only there when I'm idling. It goes away after a while. I had it in CarX to check the belts, they said they were tight and looked ok, they said it was normal for belts to do that, there are products you can spray on the belts to make them less noisy.

So are you sure it's a knocking sound from your engine? How regular is the knocking? Is it high pitched or low pitched, is it 2 times a second, or 60+ times a second?
  • pro_hondapro_honda Member Posts: 14
    Perhaps "knock" isn't the best word to describe the sound, but it is a banging sound whose frequency directly increases/decreases with the rpm's of the motor. It is a low pitched sound. When describing this to my mechanic, he thought it was piston slap (although he never actually heard the car himself). He said the sound comes from the piston slapping against the cylinder wall when the engine is cold and thus the clearance between piston and cylinder wall is greatest. As the engine warms, the metal expands, the clearance decreases and the piston can no longer slap against the wall and thus the sound goes away.

But why would would this be getting worse so fast? Can the clearance between piston and cylinder wall change that much in 40000 km's worth of driving?

Has anybody else had this, and has there been a resolution?
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Sounds like you need to have it looked it...okay, listened too. Might be piston slap or it might be valve noises or it might be something else entirely. Have you had the values adjusted? The Honda Ownerlink website (www.ahm-ownerlink.com) says that for a '97 Civic you're supposed to check the valve clearances at 30,000 miles.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

:)
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    Have you guys try to have the cars oil pressure check? if is knocking it could be lack of oil pressure,lose valve,maybe if you have lots of miles dirty oil gallery.
    Greetings from sunny Miami
  • laker64laker64 Member Posts: 9
    I too have been visited by the rattle gremlins. The main one is the one on the passenger's side front fender area that has already been addressed in this thread (Thanks guys!). Last week I had a more pronounced rattle coming from the passenger side rear door area but it went away after about 5 days (weird). Also my speedometer makes a buzzing noise at times. I am disappointed that a new Honda has these type of problems, even if it is only an entry level class of vehicle.
  • lorbeertlclorbeertlc Member Posts: 38
    Hi,
    I'm interested in purchasing the Honda del Sol. But I know nothing about it. Does anyone know if there's a chance Honda might re-introduce that style of automobile again?
    Also, was there a "best" year and a "worst" year for the del Sol? How was the reliability? Would anyone recommend it or not recommend it?
    Thanks.
    -Tom
  • osum02osum02 Member Posts: 29
    I wonder what's going on with the Honda Motor Co.? I've been reading and hearing about so many problems recently Honda vehicles in general, i.e. ignition switch recall affecting various Accords & Civics, major automatic transmission problems on 1998-2002 Accords, 2002 Odysseys, and some Acura models, and from what I seem to keep hearing is that the 7th generation Civic has been the worst generation yet in regards to quality even though Honda claims that quality was improved "10 Times" when the 7th generation was released in fall 2000. Another thing I keep hearing is that Honda does not really stand behind its vehicles when problems arise, ie when calling customer service call center in Torrance, CA they give you very vague answers and are basically very unhelpful, dealerships that always seem to say, "it's a characteristic" of the car. Why don't they tell you this at the time of sale?? Has Honda heard of something called false advertising? WhenHonda says quality, reliability, dependability buyers expect exactly that, not going to the dealership numerous times for the same problem because it wasn't addressed the first time or going to the dealership numerous times for many problems/issues especially when the vehicle is new or newer. I've always heard Honda is very, very particular who they choose as a supplier. Well, whoever was supplying them their automatic transmissions and faulty ignitions and failed front struts on 2001 Civics apparently weren't held to the same supposedly high standards as maybe other suppliers were. All I know is Honda better get with the program or they are going to find themselves with the same bad reputation that American automakers have had over the many years, (poor quality, poor customer service/satisfaction, unreliability). It seems the more Honda builds their cars in the US, the poorer they have gotten and also this seems to go hand in hand with the more cars they are mass producing the more they seem to be cutting corners. I seem to see more and more Honda cars with misaligned doors, trunk lids, and hoods. You always hear how well crafted Honda cars are but why do I see so many Honda Civics and Accords with misaligned doors, hoods, truck lids, etc. Where's the craftsmanship that is advertised? What I'm sick of is the sales job everyone seems to give the public and then when it gets right down to it, what was advertised is not reality. I think one of the problems here is that Americans are basically now running Honda instead of the Japanese? Don't you think they'd be outraged see Mr. Honda's name being tarnished by poor quality workmanship, poor service, poor quality suppliers??? It's definitely not the same company it was many years ago? In Consumer Reports 2001 car reports issue the 2001 Civic only scored a "average rating". When can you remember the last time this happened? Mr. Honda is probably turning in his grave wondering what are these people doing to his company. I sure the ship can be righted before it's too late! Sorry for being so wordy.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    With as many Hondas as we've owned we have yet to have a bad experience. You can have lemons with any make and I still think that Honda is above average and their interior and exterior build quality is still among the best in each vehicle's respective class. The 01 Civic did have a few first year gremlins but it should improve this year. When you consider how many Civics are sold the fact that the Civic problems forum is only on post #1400 over a 2 year period isn't that bad. The Mazda MPV problems topic has over 2000 posts as does the Toyota Sienna .. does that mean that they are crap?
  • mrfmrf Member Posts: 20
    Well, just to throw in my two cents worth: I have one of the much-belly-ached-about 2001 Civics, and I must say that out of the three Hondas I have owned and purchased new ( others were: 1991 Civic DX hatchback, 1995 Accord EX sedan) this latest one has been the best assembled and least 'troublesome' out the door of the three. None has had any mechanical problems, but all except the 2001 have had minor assembly issues (mis-aligned hood, loose trim pieces, etc). The only issue to date the the 2001 has been the lock on the interior trunk release didn't work, which was cheerfully replaced with much apology for my inconvenience by the dealer. The service I have received from the dealer I have dealt with for these past 12 years has been second-to-none. Anyway, if reliability and poor workmanship is a topic for discussion, then I will present the 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis I bought new between the 95 Accord and the current Civic. This was supposedly one of Ford's best models...HA!...failed tranny, 2 sets of rotors...the list is too long for this forum. Honda is still on the right track. No car is perfect, but for the money, Honda, and most of the other Japanese makes can't be beat. FWIW, also have a very early production 2000 Mazda MPV. Completely trouble-free.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Take a deep breath....relax....mellow....

The sky is not falling!
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    I can't speak to the newer Hondas, but my '86 Civic DX was a great little car - it was made in East Liberty, OH - I had it almost 15 yrs - nothing major went wrong - did have a freon leak once and the radiator needed flushing after 13 yrs, and finally in it's 15th yr it developed a very slow oil leak - I followed the recommended scheduled maintainence - I still love Hondas but rate Toyotas just as highly -
    The Honorable Soichiro Honda hears you.
    I replaced the upper arm/blade assemblies with Honda parts. The arms aligned nicely, and the rubber blades slide across the windshield with a smooth swoosh! Warn the Jersey Troopers, because I'm going to open up the carburetor, wind out the third automatic gear, and bust 76mph on the Jersey Turnpike. Maybe I can get in the tailwind of a S-2000!

Thanks auburn63... you da' Man!
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the East Liberty Honda plant didn't come into existence until 1988. I believe that's when they starting building Civics. Marysville came on line in 1982, which was the first Honda automobile plant in North America.
  • auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    you are too funny...glad all worked out have a good one and keep it down before the fenders burn off
    well, you may be right - I just went and looked at the VIN number for my old Honda and it does start with a "J" - so that means the car was built in Japan, correct? The night I bought the car, back in August of 1986, the salesman told me that it was built in East Liberty, OH, and I just took his word and never checked it out - anyway, that was a dependable little car - sold it last year for $1400 - went out and bought a '01 Corolla LE which I really like -
  • nightbird7nightbird7 Member Posts: 8
    The rubbers seal surrounding the door is hanging down. Does anyone know what glue works best to keep it back up there? With it out of place, the window is open at the top allowing rain to get in. Not good. Thanks for any suggestions.
  • polymorphapolymorpha Member Posts: 16
    pro_honda,
    Check out message number 1387 on this board. I have had problems very similar to yours and would also like to know the cause and how I might deal with it. In my case I can rule out valves, which are properly adjusted, and oil, which is changed regularly. A Subaru owner described a somewhat similar problem that turned out to be caused by a timing belt tensioner. I have no idea whether this might be relevant in Civics. Glad to hear I am not alone, but frustrating not to know the cause or cure. I have been wondering whether I should let the engine idle long enough (2-3 min) for the noise to go away, i.e. whether it hurts the engine to accelerate when you can hear the knock. Please let me know if get any information on this problem.
    Thanks,

Polymorpha
  • strong68strong68 Member Posts: 22
    Every morning when I start to drive away and apply the brakes for the first time the brakes make a grinding noise, like the pads are shifting. This happens when the brakes are first applied but then stops once I start driving and braking, etc. HONDA said it is normal....this can't be normal! Can it?? When it rains, the noise does not happen...I assume because the moisture creates a barrier and stops the friction.
    Any thoughts?
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    To my 02 civic to the dealer today, they test drove the car and agree with me that there is a rattleling noise in the front drivers side. The mechanic took it and disassembled the upper part of where the strut meet the sheet metal and put some gasket. well we took it for a ride, i was happy no noise. But, a block away from the dealer on my way home that evil car did it again. Any ideas.. anyone!
    If the dealer buy the car back do I get book value/ or do i get the total of my dealer sale invoice ?(every penny they charge)
    jfigueroa1:

I don't think Honda will buy your 02 back just because of some rattle noise.

bjk
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    Honda will NOT buy your car back because of rattles. Sorry.

~Carrie
  • howachowac Member Posts: 52
    My wife's 2001 Civic EX AT consistently gets gas mileage that ranges from 25 to 27 mpg. I don't think the car has ever gotten more than 30mpg. Her driving is probably 85% city and 15% highway, and she is pretty gentle with the gas pedal. The car currently has ~9000 miles and recently had the second oil change done. I keep hearing other owners getting more than 35 mpg on a regular basis and can't help wondering whether anything is wrong with our car. When we first got the car, it was getting 23 to 24 mpg, but I was told that additives in the factory oil might have something to do with it. Does any of you fellow owners have any insight to this? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    have you checked to be sure the tire pressure is correct? I don't have a Honda, I'm driving a '01 Corolla with 4-speed auto - I keep my tires at 32 PSI - it makes for better mileage if you have a few extra pounds of air - I have gotten as high as 34 MPG (city) but usually get 30-32 MPG in the city -
    Carrie:

LOL, I said it first.

howac:

Your car is normal. Our 02 EX AT, when 100% city driving 23-24 MPH. 100% freeway driving got to 41 MPG once. Almost 6 months now, our 02 EX has less than 3000 miles on it. I see some MPH improvement. I think Your car is FINE.

bjk
    Also make sure your car isn't hauling around a lot of dead weight. Keeping an emergency road repair & medial kit is fine, but hauling around bags of sand, or lots of junk in the trunk of the car will make the mileage go down. There's more effort to get the car going from stop position, this is especially true in city driving.
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    I do 100% city driving and my gas mileage is in the 20's range. I'm not disappointed with it as I knew city driving gets less fuel economy than highway driving. I know I could be Exxon poor if I drove an SUV.

~Carrie
    Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. It's comforting to know that 25 mpg isn't too abnormal. I guess I have to check a few things before coming to a final conclusion. Fist, I'll need to get a new tire pressure gage (I used to have a pretty good digital gage, but it was stolen out of my old car). Then it may be time for a long road trip to see what kind of mileage the car gets on the highway. Problem is that the Civic has very vague steering at freeway speeds and the rear suspension doesn't have enough damping and bounces around too much. My wife does carry her drafting/drawing supplies around, but those don't amount to more than 20~30 lbs. So that shouldn't be a big factor. Anyway, I'll let you know when we're done with this experiment. Thanks again!
    howac:

Some extra load of 20-30 lbs shouldn't be a major factor to the base of 2650 lbs Civic for gas mileage. I bet I weigh (210 lbs) more that your wife + 30 lbs of her drafting supplies. LOL. It;s the warm up, stop & go and idling in the city kills your gas mileage. Proper tire pressure, get rid of some unnucessary load and do other minor stuffs (light foot on gas) will improve your gas mileage. But, some of the extra weight you just can't get rid off. LOL

bjk
  • chalupnychalupny Member Posts: 39
    Howac: Next time you fill your tank make an effort to drive very carefully. Accelerate up to speed very consistantly and smoothly every time. You'll probably see your mileage go up - but you won't have any fun driving. I think the highway mileage they give is pretty accurate - you get on the highway, get to the desired speed, and put on the cruise control. City driving is very different for different people. Some people drive like their is an egg between their foot and the accelerator - some people practically put their foot through the floorboard. Manual transmission is also a big factor with city driving. If driven in such a way as to maximize efficiency a stick shift will beat an automatic on gas mileage almost always. But if you like to wind it up to 4000 rpm before you shift every time - forget about gas mileage. Take a look in your owners manual it will give you some tips on how to drive more efficiently - it will take some of the fun out of driving though.
    That's the part that stinks about "intelligent" transmissions. If you drive the non-aggressively either because that's not your driving style or to maximize fuel economy, when you do want to drive aggressively it confuses the transmission. Ran into that with my Accord V6... I have a heavy foot most of the time so when I was taking it easy or my fiance was driving it the tranny got confused. Overall though, I think 25MPG with an automatic tranny in stop-and-go driving is pretty good.
    Thanks for the additional feedback. My wife's Civic is an automatic and I can't stand driving it. It makes the car feel very sluggish. My '92 Accord (manual) feels a lot more responsive even though it's old and heavier.

My wife is always complaining about the automatic not down-shifting fast enough when needed. If you want to pass and stomp on the gas pedal, it hesitates for at least a second before down-shifting. It's unbearable. I have a feeling that the AT is used to my wife's feather-footed driving style. If I can stand it, maybe I'll play with it for a week and see if anything changes.

We got the Civic because it was a sensible choice (safety, economy, reliability, etc.), so we're not worried about having fun with it. We have another car for that. I was just curious that the car wasn't getting better gas mileage with city/expressway driving (not really stop-and-go, bumper-to-bumper). We'll see what happens. Maybe it's time for my wife to re-learn how to drive a stick :) Thanks for your suggestions!
    I keep reading/hearing that the 7th generation Civic (2001-2005) is the worst Civic yet, in regards to quality and reliability. I've done some surveying of some local Honda dealership service departments and talked with a few mechanics (not service advisors) and they say they see a lot of these Civic's in their for problems, especially squeaks and rattles and trim coming off or apart. It seems the mechanics are far more honest with you then the service advisors. I found out most service advisors used to be salespeople, so it's no wonder they always act surprised when you bring a problem to their attention. I have a 2002 Civic LX sedan which I've taken in at least 4 times for various issues. A few issues were hard starting when cold outside, hard opening/closing drivers door, steering wheel has a right side bias, vibrating rear view mirror. The hard starting the shop foreman claims is a "characteristic" of the Civic he claims because of the tighter emissions (ULEV) standards. He claims this is the first time this has been complained about. Drivers door fixed by adjusting the striker but now made the door stick out so really looked misaligned (had readjusted on a second visit), rear view mirror tightened up almost to the point you can't move it though. Alignment meets Honda specs. Pursued misaligned steering wheel with another dealer and they could not get it straightened out. Tech swapped both front tires and this seem to help very, very slightly. Took to another Honda dealership and foreman duplicated it but tried aligning and says computer shows everything is right on. I ask why does my steering wheel have a bias to the right. I always have to over correct it to the right after moving from a complete stop. Is this another "characteristic"? Sometimes you a person gets sick and tired of being told something is a "characteristic". Is this possibly just an excuse not to have to address the problem?? Sometimes it feels like it!
    Recently I drove a friend's 2002 Civic LX sedan and it seem to feel more stable on the road than my 2002 Civic sedan. I attributed it to the double wishbone suspension on her car. Mine feels more jittery and sloppy when cornering even though they adjusted the suspension on the '02's and even added a stabilizer bar on the LX's for '02. By the way, my '02 Civic was made in Japan. Well, maybe Honda will get it right with the 8th generation Civic in 2006. By the way, Honda claims they got rid of the double wishbone suspension because they couldn't fit it in the front of the car with the shorter front end, but I hear behind closed doors they also did it for a big cost savings since strut suspensions are cheaper. I don't know who they're fooling with their propaganda. Some of these auto companies must think the general public is totally stupid and willing to believe everything they say. Like I said before, I'm sure Mr. Soichiro Honda is turning in his grave wondering what these people have done to the high ideals and quality he set forth for his company. His philosophy wasn't about pleasing the shareholders, although that was important. It was lets take care of the customer! You can already see that recalls and quality gaffes are now going to be the norm for Honda's vehicles. They're stilling riding on the perceived quality of their cars from years ago and hoping people will still buy them today based on that perception. Just remember, perception isn't always reality.
  • asdxereasdxere Member Posts: 29
    When I took my 2002 Accord in for pulling to the right, they said "Oh that's intentional... If you fall asleep at the wheel, you won't veer into oncoming traffic - but into the ditch ". I never stop being amazed at the answers a service department will give you to get out of a warranty repair...
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    According to one of the regular contributors here there's a federal regulation to that effect. The regulation doesn't exist, but it's a handy excuse for the dealers. Almost any vehicle can have the wheel alignment set so that it will drive straight on roads which are crowned for water drainage (it will tend to drift slightly to the left on a flat surface such as a parking lot). Just because the numbers show up green on an alignment machine doesn't mean the car's aligned properly. About 1/2 degree lead to the left is necessary. Post your alignment reading printout and we'll go from there.
    I'm lucky that I have had no problems with my 2002 SI.
  • paul29paul29 Member Posts: 178
    Does anyone know what Honda considers excessive oil consumption in a Civic before repairs are given the green light , ie ? miles per qt.
  • spokanespokane Member Posts: 514
    Almost all manufacturers consider oil consumption of up to one quart per 1000 miles to be normal for warranty purposes. That level of oil usage would be very disappointing, of course, because almost all low-mileage engines use far less than that amount. Nevertheless, it is very unlikely that the manufacturer will agree that a problem exists if consumption is less than a quart per 1000 miles.
This discussion has been closed.