Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• civicowner2001civicowner2001 Member Posts: 1
    I would appreciate any help or opinions, I was rear-ended in my 2001 civic 4 door, my car was driveable but suffered from very rough idle after the accident. Tail pipe is unobstructed but was wondering how seriously I need to take the rough idle, obviously I don't wish to harm the car but am searching for any ideas of what would cause the car to idle poorly. Any help would be most appreciated.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Your twelve year old Civic with 144,000 miles isn't the lemon. Your mechanic is doing something wrong. You may have a warped head he didn't bother checking?
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Bad valve guides or piston rings is my guess.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I would appreciate any help or opinions, I was rear-ended in my 2001 civic 4 door, my car was driveable but suffered from very rough idle after the accident. Tail pipe is unobstructed but was wondering how seriously I need to take the rough idle, obviously I don't wish to harm the car but am searching for any ideas of what would cause the car to idle poorly. Any help would be most appreciated.

How is your neck? lol
    The other driver's insurance should be paying for all the resulting dmage from being rear ended. Talk to the other driver's insurance and tell them you are taking your car to Honda. See what they say.
  • civiclx98civiclx98 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 98 civic LX which has 46500 miles on it, bought it used last year and the mileage has been surprising low for a japanese car, only approx. 25miles/gallon (city), drive about 15 miles per day. It takes longer to start when gas level is low and a friend suggests that the fuel line might be clogged. Anyone has any idea how much it will cost to fix and what other prob. there might be?
  • arymarym Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 Civic Coupe LX with 34, 800 km... and I'm planning to go on a 2,000 km road trip a couple of weeks from now. So far, I have done at least 5 oil changes, the most recent one done today. This is the only maintenance I have had done, aside from switching to snow tires at 23,000, and back to the stock tires at 34,500.

I skipped the "TYPE B" service that the Honda dealerships recommend at 16,000 km. I was supposed to do the "TYPE C" service that they recommend at 32,200 km, but all I had done was an oil change.

Should I go for the suggested TYPE C maintenance, or will I be getting ripped off? If I go somewhere else to do the maintenance, what should I have done?
  • 93reddelsol93reddelsol Member Posts: 3
    I just got a 93 del sol it still has stock speakers all of which need to be replaced i have all ready replaced the tape player and the front two speakers. This may sound kinda dumb but how do you get the cover off the back two speakers? For some reason they won't just pop off like the front ones.

Any help is much appreciated
    thanks
    Brandon
    I just got a 93 del sol it still has stock speakers all of which need to be replaced i have all ready replaced the tape player and the front two speakers. This may sound kinda dumb but how do you get the cover off the back two speakers? For some reason they won't just pop off like the front ones.

thanks
    Brandon

You probably have to remove the whole rear shelf, or get to the speakers from the trunk.
    I have a 2003 Civic Coupe LX with 34, 800 km... and I'm planning to go on a 2,000 km road trip a couple of weeks from now. So far, I have done at least 5 oil changes, the most recent one done today. This is the only maintenance I have had done, aside from switching to snow tires at 23,000, and back to the stock tires at 34,500.

I skipped the "TYPE B" service that the Honda dealerships recommend at 16,000 km. I was supposed to do the "TYPE C" service that they recommend at 32,200 km, but all I had done was an oil change.

Should I go for the suggested TYPE C maintenance, or will I be getting ripped off? If I go somewhere else to do the maintenance, what should I have done?

Each dealership has its own money making schemes. What does each "TYPE" include?
    Go by what the manual says. If you don't have the owners manual sign up at Honda owners link
    https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=honda
    You can look up the Honda receommneded maintenance items.
  • tanya2tanya2 Member Posts: 29
    The rings could be stuck on the pistons. There are products on the market that could free the rings, if poured through the spark plug hole, and allowed to soak for a period of time. PCV valves are not that expensive. Give it a try! Tanya
  • tanya2tanya2 Member Posts: 29
    "Each dealership has its own money making schemes". While I am sure that you feel that way, this statement is far from the truth. My family is involved in the automotive service and sales business, and we go out of our way to make customers happy, especially in the area of preventive maintenance. Depending on the individual driving habits of the customer, many vehicles need a VERY severe maintenance schedule, because of the way they are used on a daily basis. Yes, the owner's manual does give the owner a general idea of basic maintenance, but when a vehicle is used in city stop and go traffic on a daily basis, you can throw those suggestions in the owner's manual out the window. As the owner of the vehicle, you can design your own service schedule. Our dealerships do not twist any customer's arm to perform service. We simply make suggestions, give the reasons, and leave the final decision to the customer. But if the vehicle suffers from a major malfunction, due to a lack of maintenance, the customer must assume responsibility. Tanya
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    "Each dealership has its own money making schemes". While I am sure that you feel that way, this statement is far from the truth...Our dealerships do not twist any customer's arm to perform service. We simply make suggestions, give the reasons, and leave the final decision to the customer.

When I call my local dealer to schedule a mileage based service, I'm always told that's a "Service X" package and quoted a price. Every time I've asked for details about what will be done it turns out that the list of service performed exceeds the Honda recommended services listed in my owner's manual. And I am talking about the Honda "severe" schedule, not the "normal" schedule. That's deceptive practice on the part of the dealer, since they're recommending services that are neither required or recommended by the manufacturer.

Yes, the owner's manual does give the owner a general idea of basic maintenance, but when a vehicle is used in city stop and go traffic on a daily basis, you can throw those suggestions in the owner's manual out the window.

So you as a dealer know more about servicing Hondas than Honda does? Even though Honda has two service schedules listed in the Owners Manual, severe and normal? You think they should add a "very severe" category of services?

But if the vehicle suffers from a major malfunction, due to a lack of maintenance, the customer must assume responsibility.

But we weren't talking about lack of maintenance, but the dealer deciding that service items needed to me done that are not what Honda, the manufacturer of the vehicle, recommends for that particular interval. If I follow the schedules in the Owners Manual based on the way I drive my vehicle it will be covered by the Honda warranty, regardless of whether I allow the dealer to do extra services or not.

I've learned to take a list of things I want done to the dealer when I take my vehicle for servicing, and insist that they only perform those services. I give them a copy of the list, and make it clear that I have a duplicate copy for my records, and that I will not pay for anything that is not on the list.

They have yet to complain, although it does take longer to drop off my car, since they have to enter the information in their computer, rather than just select one of their service "packages".

JM2C
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I think in some ways you are describing ALA CARTE vs package deal. I would only make sure that you were not paying more for the ALA CARTE service vs the so called "dealer" package, or vice versa. The ultimate boundary is the shop rate for labor!

I got my Honda Civic from one of the area's highest volume sales dealer. If I had to take it to a dealer for maintenance, I would take it out of preference to this one.

In closing the deal, one inevitably gets to the person who fills out the financial paper work. You pay "doc fees" for this so called "service", so negotiate this fee as low as possible for you wind up sitting the majority of this time listening to a sales full court press.

In addition or should I say the real task of this person is to UP SELL. One of the up sell products, germane to this discussion was the 5,000 mile oil and filter change. So I asked what oil and filter they use and the sales person could not tell me!!!??? (long time employee, I come to find out)
  • yleecoyoteyleecoyote Member Posts: 32
    My experience has been similar. The dealer that I bought from was doing the same thing, servicing items that were not part of the regular or severe schedule. In the beginning when the 2001 model year first came out, they were still using a previous model years schedule in the fall of 2001. I stayed confused for awhile, nothing matched with my owners manual, I would take the car in for a specific interval of service, when I got it back service had been completed for some interval other than that specified and the interval that I was there to have done had not been performed.
    This finally came to a head and I would ask ahead of time what was specified for the particular interval that I knew I needed based on mileage. This seldom matched my cars needs and always included services that were not listed at all in my manual.
    Fortunately my town is big enough to have two dealers. I called the second one on the next service interval, asked what would be performed and they replied they perform what is listed in the owner's manual. What a pleasant surprise and I was not disappointed up to the 60,000 mile interval when I began servicing the car myself.
    For those who cast dispersion on the owner's manual, I have the Honda shop service manual (the Helms manual) and it list the service requirements. They match the owner's manual.
    I am approaching 180,000 happy miles in my 2001 Civic Coupe EX and I'm sure that it will go far beyond my original goal of 250,000 miles with the suggested owner's manual service intervals.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I would agree. Much of the service intervals consist of inspection items. With proper tools and some familiarity DIYers can do tire rotation and oil and filter changes. Other than trouble shooting and warranty work, the services that makes the most sense is the 120k timing belt and water pump change.
    My new del sol has rims, they are stock rims but they seem to have a film on them. I have spent hours with never-dull and another product called "mothers" but they still have that film on them. Does any one have any ideas?

any help is much appreciated
    thank you
    brandon
  • phatmattphatmatt Member Posts: 2
    My girlfriend has a 1998 civic 4-door, and we noticed asizable crack in her exhaust manifold. Can I replace it without replacing the cadallidic converter? What do I need to watch out for?
  • marcus_westmarcus_west Member Posts: 3
    For the last couple of months, the shift quality(smoothness) in my 2003 Honda Civic EX Coupe has diminished. I have 40,000 miles on it. Sometimes, the transmission seems tired and confused after driving around town for a while. I don't understand why my transmission is doing such a lousy job right now. Soon I have to go get some regular maintenance done. Should I get them to run the codes to find the problem or where could I go to get the codes for free? Thanks and I hope u guys have some suggestions
    My girlfriend has a 1998 civic 4-door, and we noticed asizable crack in her exhaust manifold. Can I replace it without replacing the cadallidic converter? What do I need to watch out for?

This may fall under emissions control, which should be covered by Honda up to 8 years. Check with the dealer, or Honda corporate and the owner's manual. And, no you don't need to replace Catalytic converter, if it is fully functional.
    My new del sol has rims, they are stock rims but they seem to have a film on them. I have spent hours with never-dull and another product called "mothers" but they still have that film on them. Does any one have any ideas?

any help is much appreciated
    thank you
    brandon

If they are stock Honda rims they are most likeley painted with clear coat to prevent aluminum from oxidizing and turnning yacky shades of gray. I wouldn't try to remove it.
    I think in some ways you are describing ALA CARTE vs package deal. I would only make sure that you were not paying more for the ALA CARTE service vs the so called "dealer" package, or vice versa. The ultimate boundary is the shop rate for labor!

Since they're doing fewer services less time is involved, and thus less cost. In every case I've paid less than the original quote; at least once it was several hundred dollars less.

JM2C
  • masterdtwinmasterdtwin Member Posts: 1
    Working on a 1985 Honda Prelude

Battery and Alternator have had to be replaced almost every year for the last 3. For some reason it seems as though it's getting worse.

Symptoms: The battery can only maintain enough charge to drive once - past that the battery does not keep a charge. When they test it, it shows that the alternator is bad, and the battery is bad. It doesn't make sense for the battery and alternator to be bad every year.

Is there something else that I should be looking for?
  • sirdonsirdon Member Posts: 10
    Hi,
    You may want to have your mechanic change the thermostat, and have the timing checked, as it may be off a little. Also the distributor cap and rotor may need replacement. Even consider retorquing the head bolts to be sure that they are not loosened up. ;)
  • sirdonsirdon Member Posts: 10
    A new car perhaps?

Try checking to see that there be a wire harness unplugged or improperly connected that runs between the alternator and battery.
  • kmg4kmg4 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

My wife used our 2001 Civic EX and left the light on while she went up to her office in the morning (I still don't get how she didn't hear the alarm). Anyway, the battery was dead at the end of the day, and someone else in the parking lot helped her jumpstart it.

However, now the radio does not work. It says 'Err E' in the field, and none of the buttons affect anything. It first used to say 'Code X' where 'X' was a number, but after pressing the radio channel selection buttons a few times, even the 'Code X' does not work and 'Err E' is all I get.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there any way to return this to normal without spending a lot of money?
    I just got a 93 Del Sol its the SOHC. The Car is fast but I was wondering what is the best and cheapest way to put some power under the hood?

thanks
    brandon
  • crepusculocrepusculo Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone, I'm a new member and this is my first time in this forum. I have a honda del sol 93' and I bought a car alarm system for it, well now I'm trying to install it but for sure I need the electrical circuit drawing of the power cabels and connectors of all functons of the car, such as the electrical power windows cables, the engine start, the automatic lock doors. We all know that all this cables are together under the dash, What i need is to find an Internet page with the cables schemes so i can connect the car alarm system...

Maybe one of you guys have it and can send it to me... my email address is hernan_naya_naya@hotmail.com

Please advise,

Thanks a lot and I'll appreciate it.

Hernan
  • crepusculocrepusculo Member Posts: 2
    Hello.. well i guess a realy good way to make your honda faster its buying a turbo and it is around 200 bucks on ebay, I checked it the other day but i did not bought it because i dont know how to stall it, and also my honda 93' it is really faster enough already...

The other way, the most cheapest way its just installing a power chip on the motor computer, you can get from 7 hp to 15, and this chip its around 20-30 bucks on ebay also...

I hope i was a help..... (just check on ebay...write HONDA DEL SOL on the search).

Hernan :lemon:
  • ncampbell2002ncampbell2002 Member Posts: 163
    I would be really careful when purchasing those "power chips" on Ebay. Most of the time they are selling you this little piggyback jumper that you hook up to your current computer. Its supposed to alter it to make your car faster, however if you look at the seller's feedback you will find that a lot of people say this has little impact on the performance of their vehicle. I also heard this could cauze damage to your vehicle. Yes a turbo can be purchased on Ebay for cheap, but then don't forget everything else you need for a turbo to work on a car (intercooler, hoses, larger volume fuel pump, bigger radiator, turbo timer, wastegate, forged internals if you really want to do it right).....the list continues.
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    My stock 2000 Civic check engine light came on for the 1st time, anyway got Autozone
    to pull the DTC and it's P0135 (primary heated oxygen sensor heater circuit
    malfunction) my question is the O2 sensor under warranty ? I know the warranty for
    the car itself is up (3/36) but aren't the O2 sensors part of the emmision system which
    has a longer warranty (42,000 miles, Texas here)
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Nope. There are 3 components which are warranted for 8 years/80,000 miles: catalytic converter, engine control computer, and emission control computer (if used). The rest must be warranted for a minimum of 2 years/24,000 miles. Here's some info:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Good morning,

I have a 2004 Accord LX which has a problem with the interior weatherstripping (the one inside that goes around the entire area of the door). It was coming off and the dealer attempted to repair it four times unsuccessfully. It is still under the CA lemon law. Now, on the fourth attempt, they glued part of the weatherstrip and the strip is not even properly mounted so that the strip is actually unattached in the lower area by the door jamb. I'm worried about water intrusion, noise and rattles coming from the Any thoughts. Does the BBB third party work?
    the battery was dead at the end of the day...now the radio does not work.

The original Honda radio, right? They have a security feature that if power is removed from the radio (like if someone tried to steal it) you have to entry a security code to reset the radio. When you bought the car you should have received a small plastic card with the radio security code on it. There might also be a sticker in the glove box, or under the cover of the main fuse box in the engine compartment. If you can't find the code the dealer can look it up for you, but they'll probably charge you.

Good luck.
  • krismkrism Member Posts: 11
    Radios will usually lock up after 3 unsuccesful attempts to input a code. Then you usually have to disconnect the battery or pull the radio fuse, wait 1 hour and get 3 more attempts to put the code in. This all depends on the car though.

RE: Lemon Law and Weatherstripping issue

Go back to dealer and demand new weather stripping installed properly. There is no excuse for this. Not a car this new or older ones either. Even 20 year old cars still have weatherstripping that doesnt leak.
  • winginitwinginit Member Posts: 1
    Hello - I changed the upper radiator hose on my '85 Civic CRX since there was a hole in it. When taking out the hose there was some coolant that spilled out of course. After replacing the hose I made sure and squeezed the hose to get the air out.
    Now the car won't start. :confuse: I'm thinking that something got wet and there is no spark to the egine or there is a sensor that got wet. Does anyone have a suggestion or experience with this before I start removing the distributor cap and spark plugs? Are there components in that area that need to be dry to work properly (sensors, electrical units, etc?)

Any help would be great. I'm trying to remember what I learned at that one semester in high school. Thank you!
  • novice3novice3 Member Posts: 1
    your radio is protected against theft. if there is ever a power discontinuity from the battery it locks up. You need to look up in the manual how to restart it. You will also need your pin-code which was given to the original buyer when the car was purchased. that's all.
  • deepdoodoodeepdoodoo Member Posts: 3
    Hi people!!
    I have a 1990 honda civic si and I just put a new motor in it.
    For some reason I have no fuel pressure now?
    I have power and everything to the fuel pump, ground is there too.
    I'm stumped and don't know what else to do. I never had a problem with the fuel pump until right now. The car started up with the blown motor and now NOTHING.
    VERY CONFUSED, SORRY I EVER DECIDED TO CHANGE THE MOTOR MYSELF. The computer isn't sending any codes either. Please help me out.
  • fe203fe203 Member Posts: 21
    Hi, I have 2001 Civic LX Coupe 70000km (43000miles). At low speed going over small bumps, dips in the road, or just driving over the curb pulling into my driveway there is a noticeable clunk noise from the front end. I have been told it is the sway bar bushings worn & that the sway bar moves too much causing the noise. Does this seem like the most likely cause. The Struts were replaced 1000 km ( 600 miles) ago under a "secret" warranty recall.
  • toddytoddy Member Posts: 1
    It seems that each time the power is off (as in removing the battery), the radio requires the original security code to begin functioning. This is a security feature in case the radio is stolen. You will need the original code from Honda or another source to get it going again. The national dealer network should have this available for you.
  • drpjodrpjo Member Posts: 1
    there is a way, i ran into the same problem. when you bought the car you should have got a radio number with it or if they didnt give this to you like they didnt in my case you have to take your radio out check the bottom of it get the serial number on the bottom and call honda, then they will give you the security code.
  • m34mem34me Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Honda Civic.....I want to remove the word "civic" and "ex" are they held on by bolt thingies or are they held on by gluey stuff...if they are by gluey stuff..whats a good way to take them off? Thanks Everyone.
    Hello,

My wife used our 2001 Civic EX and left the light on while she went up to her office in the morning (I still don't get how she didn't hear the alarm). Anyway, the battery was dead at the end of the day, and someone else in the parking lot helped her jumpstart it.

However, now the radio does not work. It says 'Err E' in the field, and none of the buttons affect anything. It first used to say 'Code X' where 'X' was a number, but after pressing the radio channel selection buttons a few times, even the 'Code X' does not work and 'Err E' is all I get.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there any way to return this to normal without spending a lot of money?

Did you have the car since new? If so, you should have the card with the numbers on it. It says keep in safe place. You should also have gotten an owner's manual, where it would explain how to enter the security code for the radio.

We should have a quick link button to say: "RTFM!"
    I have a 1998 Honda Civic.....I want to remove the word "civic" and "ex" are they held on by bolt thingies or are they held on by gluey stuff...if they are by gluey stuff..whats a good way to take them off? Thanks Everyone.

Hair dryer and dental floss will remove the "civic" and "ex" badges. The "H" badge has pins on the back and will leave holes behind. Unless 1998 was different from 1999.
  • fe203fe203 Member Posts: 21
    After trying to put in the radio code three times the stereo will lock up. You have to disconnect the battery for about a minute. Reconnect battery & you will have three more chances to enter the stereo code.
  • krismkrism Member Posts: 11
    I would go back to the place that replaced the struts and have them checked out. Worn sway bar bushings could cause that but its highly unlikely on a 4yr old car with only 43k miles.
  • mwhipplemwhipple Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at purchasing a 1998 Honda Civic EX. It has 115,000 miles on it and its for sale for $5000. I think it is a fair price - but I plan to ask tomorrow if the timing chain and water pump has been replaced. If not, does anyone have an estimate on how much this will cost?

Thanks!
  • phatmattphatmatt Member Posts: 2
    I spoke with another owner of a 1998 civic LX 4-door, and his car also had a cracked exhaust manifold. Is this common? How could this happen? Does anyone know of a recall? Thanks.
  • port_48port_48 Member Posts: 27
    By won't start do you mean it turns over but won't fire and run? If it cranks but won't fire I'd start drying things off. Since it's been 3 days since you did this, maybe it's running now?
  • port_48port_48 Member Posts: 27
    In response to msg #2800, I finally went to the dealer with a list of items needing attention before the 3 yr warranty expires at the end of this month. At the top of the list was the clutch noise which I've pasted at the bottom. The dealer replaced the clutch master cylinder and the noise is gone. He referenced a service bulletin (which I called a recall below).

The other items on the list were moisture condensing in right headlight (they replaced the headlight), paint damage from the front mudflaps rubbing on the body (scheduled time at their body shop which they contract out), and front seat belts do not retract without being "helped" (they've ordered the parts). While there they took care of the low beam "safety campaign" which apparently there can be a fire in the steering column if not addressed.

"The problem is the noise that occurs when depressing the clutch, about 3/4" of pedal travel to nearly the floor. It sounds like plasticy metal on metal, like the hinge point is tearing itself apart. It doesn't happen all the time and seems to occur more consistently/frequently with warm weather (heat causing expansion?). I'm aware of a recall on the hydraulic line connection that creaks/pops when using the clutch - the fix there is to remove the hydraulic line, grease the fitting, and reassemble."
  • lexielexie Member Posts: 45
    BBB might work for your if your problems meet the CA lemon definitions. I recently contacted them and they would not even look at my case because I did not meet the definitions so in my opinion, they are useless :mad: I also contacted them for other non car issues and that was useless. All they did was add one more # of complaints to the list for that vendor. I do give them credit for at least passing on my complaint to GM the following day I filed it. I would go back to the dealer and demand that they fix it.
This discussion has been closed.