Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• artycatartycat Member Posts: 11
    Another tire question: what are the Michelins like for rolling resistance? After all, I got the HX for the gas mileage. Thanks.
  • dvricedvrice Member Posts: 73
    I have a '95 Civic EX with the exact same problem.

The A/C will cool great for 5 - 30 minutes, then may quit working for 30 minutes, then start working again. It seems random.

I agree that the A/C seems to normally work in the morning or night, but when it is really hot (when you need the A/C) is doesn't work.

By the way, I have taken mine into two different Honda dealerships and they could not find a problem. Of course it worked while I had it in the dealership.

I would love to solve this problem.
  • charmedboi82charmedboi82 Member Posts: 7
    It sounds as though you have some sort of compressor issue. Many problems are hard to diagnose if they don't occur when diagnostics are occurring. Unfortunately, many things have to get worse before they get better.
  • mattya802mattya802 Member Posts: 3
    I have 98 civic dx 5 spd and was just wondering if anyone had an idea on what the redline would be because im purchasing a tach and just want an idea. If anyone has a different year civic or different model just let me know what yours is and anything would help. thanx
  • ajnjajnj Member Posts: 12
    Did you find out what your problem is?
    I also had similar problem with 2003 civic ex. Stuck in 2nd gear. There is no noise, and check engine light is off too.

I am hoping transmission is not busted.
  • illdudeilldude Member Posts: 1
    :cry: hello i have a/c problems with my '99 civic ex basically it won't blow cold air at all commpresor kicks in and i had it charged but still it only blows hot air anyone knows what could be a problem thank you in advance :D
  • maryhartmaryhart Member Posts: 3
    Hi-I own a 99 Honda Civic 4 door automatic. I'm coming up on 100,000 miles this year, and I did not get a manual when I bought the car.

Is there any routine maintenance I should be getting at 100,000? I just got it inspected yesterday, and everything passed with no repairs necessary. I got new brakes last year, so I'm not due for them.

The pickup seems a little worse than it used to be.

Sorry for the vagueness, I'm definitely not a car person and I'm just looking for some things I might do for better upkeep.

Any help is much appreciated.
  • tac147tac147 Member Posts: 9
    It should have little effect on sound. The heat shield is necessary to prevent the car from radiating too much heat so, say, if you park on top of a pile of dry leaves it won't set them on fire.
  • artycatartycat Member Posts: 11
    Yes, you MUST change the timing belt. If you don't you could have SERIOUS problems. Run don't walk to the repair shop and get it done.
  • tofertofer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Civic EX (12k mi) with this problem too. It started earlier this month and is an intermittent problem. I took it into the dealership and they were not able to find any problem and then they said they couldn't replicate it (even though I was in a test drive with a representative and it happened in the parking lot with him driving the vehicle).

Can you recall more specific information about what sensor is doing this? I'm having a hard time getting this problem across to these folks and it has already been in the shop all day once.

Thanks
    Thanks, I should have mentioned that I did that at 95k! Anything else? Flushing the radiator or anything with the transmission?
  • chanel5chanel5 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Chris,

I have a 2003 Civic and I am experiencing the same exact noise. When I take it to the mechanic, my car does not make the noise which prevents them from diagnosing the problem. When you find out the problem, please let me know and if I find out, I will let you know as well. Good luck with the search.
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I own a 99 Honda Civic 4 door automatic. I'm coming up on 100,000 miles this year, and I did not get a manual when I bought the car.

Log on to American Honda Ownerlink and register for a (free) account. If you enter the information about your Civic you can view the Honda recommended service intervals. Some models even have a downloadable Owners Manual available.
  • boyracer1boyracer1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I own a 2001 2 door Civix EX. The driver's side door will not close. The hard plastic/rubber latch on the door itself that normally is in an open, waiting to accept the metal catch on the car position, is stuck in a way, that will not allow me to close the door. It just bangs against it and will not budge when i try to move it. So far i have not wanted to take off the door panel itself, because frankly, I have no idea what to expect inside. Any suggestions or clues on what to look for when I do open the front door panel? Thanks!
  • desperatemomdesperatemom Member Posts: 7
    My daughter and her husband bought a 2005 Honda Civic May 9th 2005 and were driving it home from the dealer (60 miles on the vehicle) when the clutch shattered, the car stopped quickly and Honda is claiming that for some reason she must have down shifted going from 5th to 1st at 45 miles an hour on the freeway intentionally and therefore will take no responsibility. She is currently still disabled from a back injury due to the accident and can't drive, work or finish her college program, she DID NOT downshift. She was happily driving her new car home, going 45 in fourth on the freeway and cruising nicely in the slow lane (it's her first new car and she was being cautious). Since no one hit her (there was no impact whatsoever) the airbags did not deploy and thus her injuries are worse, but no one believes she could be this hurt from a nonimpact injury, plus now that Honda has rendered its verdict, 2 lawfirms have turned her case down. I'ld take any advice from anyone anywhere! Thanks
  • vanxvanx Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate you send me the link to the website. I went to the website and registered to the site but it would not allow me to add my vehicle. Have you had problems adding a vehicle. I tried to add my car using my VIN number and then it took me to a page to with a submit button and cancel button. I selected the submit button and it did not do anything. If you could give some guidance i greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Gustavo Luna
    Houston, Texas
    I don't know about normal, and I don't have an answer for you, but please read my post of July 23. I would take what you are experiencing very seriously in light of what happened to my daughter. Good luck!
  • donniebrascodonniebrasco Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 EX w/ 47500 miles and a slushbox. For a while now I've had a rattling sound which seems to be coming from under the car. Before it would only make the noise a little bit when idling or pretty much everytime I hit 2500 rpm accelerating or decelerating and didn't matter if I was going 80 mph or 20. As of today it is making the same noise when I start the car and it is louder when idling and stays until I get some revs on the tach, and not doing it anymore at 2500 rpm. I've heard heat shields on these things have been a source of this but I was wondering if it was indicitive of something more serious. I plan to bring it somewhere soon(the noise is annoying and make my car sound like a piece of junk) but I was wondering if there was anyone who had an idea for me before I bring it in to a mechanic.
  • wftwft Member Posts: 7
    I have a 1994 Honda Civic EX and the A/C works fine 1st thing in the morning but doesn't in the afternoon when it gets hot outside.
    I replaced the Compressor Clutch Coil and checked everything under the hood using the Honda manual flo-chart.
    The system is fully charged and all wiring under the hood checked out along with the relays and pressure switch.
    If anyone has any suggestions on what it could be I would really appreciate it.
    I know that the ignition switch is glitchy because somethimes it will not start and I have to push in harder while turning the key then it starts fine.
    It's a great little car I just need to figure out the A/C ?
  • ere1124ere1124 Member Posts: 2
    I had to have my transmission replaced. $3600. The car is less than 4 years old and has less than 60,000 miles. Absolutely stunned that I had to replace the transmission on my Honda, at such an early stage no less.

Am contacting Honda customer service. Found out a friend of a friend had the same problem, and Honda paid for the new transmission. Am writing them tonight. Worth a shot...
  • bwadbwad Member Posts: 7
    Call the toll free customer service number in your manual. I have made three calls and have been satisfied with each result. Two were for problems out of the warranty period and they covered replacement parts in both cases. I saved a total of $500 in parts just by complaining. In the third case the alloys had corroded during the warranty period and the dealer said that was normal. I called to complain and they gave me a new set of four alloys and said the dealer was at fault. Compared with what I have read about customer service from other makes I have been satisfied with compromises Honda has made for me.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    My daughter and her husband bought a 2005 Honda Civic May 9th 2005 and were driving it home from the dealer (60 miles on the vehicle) when the clutch shattered, the car stopped quickly and Honda is claiming that for some reason she must have down shifted going from 5th to 1st at 45 miles an hour on the freeway intentionally and therefore will take no responsibility. She is currently still disabled from a back injury due to the accident and can't drive, work or finish her college program, she DID NOT downshift. She was happily driving her new car home, going 45 in fourth on the freeway and cruising nicely in the slow lane (it's her first new car and she was being cautious). Since no one hit her (there was no impact whatsoever) the airbags did not deploy and thus her injuries are worse, but no one believes she could be this hurt from a nonimpact injury, plus now that Honda has rendered its verdict, 2 lawfirms have turned her case down. I'ld take any advice from anyone anywhere! Thanks

I don't understand, she got injured from the shattered clutch, but there was no impact? How does that happen? Unless pieces of the clutch punctured the bell housing, and firewall and flew into the cabin, I can not see how shuttered clutch would cause injuries. Even if the shattered clutch seized up the fly wheel and cause the wheels to stop turning, the CV joints would have given way to the momentum. I think siezed up tranny shock is less than full power brake (to lock up) application at 45 mph. I have never heard of anyone getting injured from slamming on their brakes.

It is very easy to determine what happened at the moment. Most new cars computers store on board information up to the last 3 minutes. If she indeed downshifted into 1st at 45 mph, the computer would show a sudden surge of engine RPM's past the red line, past the rev limiter. I am not even sure it is possible to shift into 1st at 45 mph without rev matching, but this would be beyond engine's rev capability. Also, the synchros would show damage from shoving the shifter into 1st at 45 mph. It is quite possible that she was able to shove the shifter in 1st at 45 mph, which caused the clutch plate to spin beyond its rev maximum, which increased the centripical forces on the friction material, which just started being flung off the plate, even before she had a chance to release the clutch. Which would not show in the engine record, but will show in the ECM's tranny record.

I am still puzzled how one gets injured by mis-shifting or shattered clutch.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Something doesn't seem to track to me either. The only thing I can see is that they are taking protective measures due to an anticipated lawsuit, which they feel they can not resolve in the warranty process.. So I am thinking during the course of trying to get resolution, a pre existing injury was mentioned and either it was communicated a lawsuit was forthcoming or they deduced one was coming. In any case if the situation was exactly as billed, I would start the process to hire an aggressive lawyer to handle the case without trial or failing that, to adjudicate the matter in civil court.
    Try having someone hold the door handle in the open position and take a screw driver and place it behind the latch assembly and pry it open while the door handle is being pulled ( Try inside and outside handles if needed ).
    You may have to pry rather sternly if it is jammed.
    That should work. Good luck
    wft
  • civic96civic96 Member Posts: 1
    My manual transmission 1996 Civic LX shakes really bad when I drive forward after starting it for the 1st time during the day. The shaking also happens when I shift from 1st gear to 2nd. It is similar to the shaking that happens when someone is learning to drive stick and almost kills the engine (this isn't my problem...I've been driving stick for years). It does not seem to make a difference whether it is really cold outside or really hot or whether I let my car sit idle to warm up. The shaking does go away after I've been driving around for about 5-10 minutes.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks for your help!
    I really appreciate all your information. I am not at all knowledeable in autos and can only "tell it like it is". Honda is the one who has diagnosed the shattered clutch. My daughter was cruising. She hit no brake and didn't even try to shift out of 4th. She was comfortably going 45 miles an hour on I-5 south and had miles to go before her next exit. She was simply cruising. Her recollection of the incident was that there was a big jerking sensation. She was afraid she had hit a huge pothole or animal or something. Then the car lost all power ( Not electric...the see manufacturer light came on or service or whatever it says), she put it in neutral and coasted off the slow lane to the shoulder. By that time there was enough of a bad smell that she got out quickly. There was no pothole, no impact and no animal. The police were there and their report verifies this. The reason this "jerk" hurt her more than an intentional quick breaking at 45 miles an hour may have to do with the fact that if you break or downshift, you are anticipating a huge change and brace your body for it. I don't know. I just know that when she called 911 and they took her to the hospital for x-rays, a very healthy 18 year old girl was diagnosed on x-ray with a facture of the T-11 vertebrae and she has been home unable to sit upright since. My husband was excited to be reminded by your note of the tranny record. He is going to talk to our service engineer about that. And I am in the process of trying yet another attorney referral, this one is supposed to be good at new vehicle and lemon law issues. I wish we could have handled this with just the car problem, but with the back fracture and uncertainty of her prognosis we did feel we needed guidance and whether we got good or bad, I'm sure it didn't make Honda happy. Anyway, thanks again!
    Thanks for writing. I, too, think they may have reacted to the lawyer involvement. Just to clarify though, there was no pre-existing back injury. This was caused by this incident. And it isn't small. The x-ray report of the night it occurred after she was taken by ambulance from the scene shows a compression fracture of the T-11 vertebrae and she has not been able to sit upright since. She had to quit college and cannot drive or work. She is in physical therapy and ever so slightly better, but we still don't know her prognosis. That's why we were terrified to do anything without an attorney. I have another attorney referral to try, this one a new car issue-lemon law pro and do appreciate your mention of civil court. We'll learn what we can about that. Thanks again.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    But I have to say that I agree with those that find something amiss... It seems rather strange that there could be that much physical injury from what amounts to at most locking up the front wheels for a fraction of a second. You have a long uphill battle ahead.

Additionally, who cruises in 4th gear on the expressway?
  • maddy51maddy51 Member Posts: 1
    Yes the same happen to me $450.00 and Ill be happy.(per dealer) I have checked all the harness underneath both font seats and found them all secure, however my driver side light switch plunger had not been working for a while, so I took that apart and found it had worked itself lose from the holding bracket, and now works fine. And my SRS light went out.Go fiqure...
    Who cruises in 4th gear on the freeway? An 18 year old girl with her first brand new car and she wants to take it easy and slow her first drive home in the dark on a road she's only been on maybe 10 times as she grew up in New England and just moved out to the Seattle area. Thank God she did or more than likely someone would have been behind her and creamed her and them. I'm truly so sick of having people imply she is less than as hurt as she is. She goes to her orthopedic doctor tomorrow and we are demanding a bone scan to comfirm the x-ray already done so we have a complete diagnosos and maybe prognosis as well. Thanks for the luck...we could use some right now.
    4th gear and "taking it easy" at 45 mph on the freeway sound like a novice behind the wheel. It's not the speed, it's the 4th gear that puzzles. "To most people "taking it easy" would have the RPM at the lowest point possible. "Cruising" at 45 implies that they had been at this speed for a while. Why would anyone "cruise" on the freeway and not be in overdrive(5th)? If this matter goes to a trial, I'm no lawyer, but I'd have a field day with that tidbit alone. Without other Civics suddenly slamming to a halt due to the clutches disintegrating at relatively low RPM, you have a hard road ahead.

Other tidbits that don't make sense...
    How did the clutch shatter while cruising at such a low speed? You'd think it would be pressed against the flywheel so hard that that that would keep it from coming apart. Shattered clutches nearly always happen while shifting.

What's left of the disc? It actually would be pretty easy to see if that damage was caused be a missed shift. There should be some shear to metal in the reverse direction of drive.

Are the tires flat spotted? A force that hard should have locked up the tires.

Did the ECU record a RPM spike?

Was there any other damage to the car?

Most telling is that there are no lawyers so far that will accept the case. It doesn't sound winnable to me either. I hope you have health insurance for these bills.
    Boy, for a mom you guys are a tough crowd. I don't care if she was in fourth, it was a brand new car and no clutch should have done that. As for the clutch, it is in evidence at our service engineers. The car is being towed on a flatbed to their condo and the transmission and associated parts are boxed with the vehicle. No miles have been put on the car since May 9th. Why the inspection authorities didn't ask the same questions you have I don't know, maybe I'll be lucky enough to find an attorney who knows that much. We have to believe since it was that simple that it was a defective clutch or installation of the clutch. Yes we're insured but that won't help my daughter much if this fracture doesn't heal properly. Back injuries are something you sometimes never recover completely from and can come back to haunt you in later years. We were advised by a friend to try sites like this to see if we could find people with similar experiences but so far it doesn't see that's going to be the case. Thanks for your honesty.
    A brand new clutch shouldn't have done that. That's just another fact you have to overcome to prove your case. Another reason it's proving so hard to find a lawyer. If there is any evidence to the contrary, this case has the potential to be CRAZY expensive to win. You will need expensive experts and examinations of the parts involved. You think the medical bills are high? Clutches don't normally fly apart. And honestly, even if it did "shatter" I don't see how it would have locked up the transmission firm enough to cause injury. Especially while cruising. It sounds nearly impossible. Clutch discs are rather lightweight parts only designed to be friction material.

Good luck.
    Does the 1994 Honda Civic EX have any sensors on or connected to the Evaporator core or is it just the expansion valve inside and the pressure switch and relay outside ?
    I evacuated the a/c and re charged with the correct amount of R134 and during the day when it is hot the a/c stops cooling but in the morning it seems to do ok.
    Any ideas, If I wasn't already losing my hair this would surely start it..
    Thanks,
    wft

:confuse:
    You are so right. I am learning so much so quickly. I am by no means sure that their diagnosis is the final outcome in this. But many of the lawyers who turned down the case were respectfully clear about the amount of money they would have to put out to fight it and that it wasn't something their firm could handle. I have one more to try tomorrow and then we will probably give up on the legal end. Me and my husband, anyway. The two car owners (my daughter and son-in-law) may try the states attorney general and the media. The very best case scenario I see now is her total recovery and somehow a reasonable ending to the car part. I don't really think it is going to end up entirely consumer fair. But, just give me a good wish in the recovery, that's what counts the most. And thanks for your input....I asked many of your questions to the service engineer who has the car. I guess this car doesn't have the electronic memory of the transmissin history. So it can't say what actions were taken at the time of the occurance. We'll be OK. Our family is very close and if this injury persists, we can transfer my husband's job to be near them in a year or two and make the best of it. Thanks again! Mom
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Your best approach is to have your legal counsel recommend a forensic mechanic who can inspect the vehicle and make a determination of what happened. That's an area where I'm occasionally employed, and my testimony has had impact on court rulings. It has been suggested by some posters here that the vehicle's onboard computers can be accessed to extract data re the operating conditions prior to the event, but this is bunk. The only information that can be extracted from onboard computers is "freeze frame" data from the engine control computer at the instant that a check engine light was set, or, in limited applications, data from the SRS computer for a five second period prior to an airbag deployment. That information currently consists of:

State of Warning Indicator when event occurred (ON/OFF)
    Length of time the warning lamp was illuminated
    Crash-sensing activation times or sensing criteria met
    Time from vehicle impact to deployment
    Diagnostic Trouble Codes present at the time of the event
    Ignition cycle count at event time
    Maximum ΔV for near-deployment event
    ΔV vs. time for frontal airbag deployment event
    Time from vehicle impact to time of maximum ΔV
    State of driver's seat belt switch
    Time between near-deploy and deploy event (if within 5 seconds)
    Passenger's airbag enabled or disabled state
    Engine speed (5 sec before impact)
    Vehicle speed (5 sec before impact)
    Brake status (5 sec before impact)
    Throttle position (5 sec before impact)

These are parameters for GM vehicles, and some selected Ford models.

Currently, automotive technicians are unable to access this information, but the manufacturer can for the purpose of airbag system evaluation, and only through Vetronics Diagnostics. This information is not generally released to anyone. However, under certain circumstances, the police may access this information with the aid of the manufacturer or special computer programs.

The resulting data may find its way into a courtroom during a civil or criminal action. Such information has been used in court to prosecute an at-fault driver in a fatal collision.

To my knowledge, Honda does not yet have this capability.

For more information, check:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/studies/record/chidester.htm
    We were discussiing whether we would want that "capability" in our cars. There was a case where that information was used to convict a teenager of wrecklessly killing a mother and daughter. I decided since I do spend a lot of time at an illegal speed that I didn't want that on my car.
  • leonidas10468leonidas10468 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I'm still working in checking all the electrical connections related to the SRS system (Seat belts switches, air bag sensors, fuses etc). I think I solved the problem because I found a loose connection in the sensor of the airbag in the steering wheel. Yet, the repair manual of the 99 Civic says that even after the repair has been done, SRS light willl be on until the memory of the computer will be erase and reset.

Good
  • kclockwoodkclockwood Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 LX; it's doing the same thing but of course won't do it while at the dealer. Have you found any answers since your posted this.
  • bwadbwad Member Posts: 7
    Is the condenser fan running?
    Thanks! This has been really helpful.
  • hoffman24hoffman24 Member Posts: 1
    92 Honda Civic Del Sol w/ 125000 miles. Start car and there are some electrical problems: No Gauges on Dash (Tach, Speed, Temp, Odo., & Fuel), no turn signals, no power windows, and no cruise. While running if I open the door, the car beep's as if I have left the key in the ignition while not running. Headlights, hazards, AC blower, radio, and brake lights all still work.

Checked wiring harnesses and they are all connected. I believe it is in the ignition, something not telling the car it is on or running therefore not switching on signals, gauges, etc.

Just looking for feedback before replacing parts.
  • jeepluverjeepluver Member Posts: 4
    Check with your local dealership, they will need to get the VIN number from you and probably some proof you own it. Careful with the code, it gives you three chances and then locks you out for an hour. If you have the manual check it. It will explain. Just had my after market Pioneer stolen out of my 95 and found info in manual.
  • johnl9johnl9 Member Posts: 2
    have a 1997 honda civic in which the child lock was selected to lock, well the door now will not open from inside or out. even bigger problem now, in trying to figure out first problem now have both back doors locked and neither will open. any help on this please!?
    Yes the condensor fan runs and the engine idles up seems that it is all doing what it should except the compressor clutch does not engage most of the time.
    I checked the compressor when it should be engaged and it was not.
    There was battery voltage to the clutch coil with a good ground it is just that
    the clutch will not engage and it has a new clutch coil.
    It does work for a while when it is cool outside but in the heat of the day forget it.
    I am wondering if the compressor clutch is bad because it has power it just doesn't engage.
    wft
  • lkzbratlkzbrat Member Posts: 1
    my civic is idling real bad and i have only had my car for 6 months and everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago and then it started idling and my car acts like it is going to die. i noticed the rpm gauge is going almost to 0 then all the way up to 2! even when im driving and it seems like a jerky drive instead of smooth! can anyone help? :(
    Check the connection in the distributor. I had that same problem on one of my Civic. No parts were involved. Just connections.
  • civicfan2112civicfan2112 Member Posts: 1
    I was coming home from work the other day and after pulling away from a stop sign, I noticed that the spedo. jumped to 120mph and then to 0. I slowed my acceleration at that point and put the car in Neutral. Reved the car to 4,000 RPM and saw the speedo jump to 80 eratically. Then I put it back into D4 and noticed the car was jumping like crazy and shifting erratically. I got home, found the spedo and disconnected it. The car drove fine then, but the torque converter wouldn't lock down. Because the speedo. wasn't hooked up. While at Auto Zone getting the codes checked I found the price of a new speedometer sensor to be approx. $125 US Dollars. OOOUUUCHH!! :mad: Ok...Problem solved....NOPE! Lights are still flickering, Mind you I haven't installed new speedo yet. So..in search of an answer I go looking for information. I stumble across this websight right here and....Behold... :D some sort of answer. I read on this wb sight that there is a problem in the wiring harness whereas it can rub against a bracket that is tucked back under the intake manifold. So I pull the wires back away from the bracket, Start it...no flickering....turn the lights on....no flickering....drive down the road with the lights on...High beams on......still no flicking. There ya go...problem solved. So in short....Wiring harness shorts out on bracket...sends juice through the motor block....and shorts out any weak sensor in its path. Or makes the sensors trip and produces all Kindsof trouble codes.
    Such things like:
    P0135- O2 Sensor Heater Circut Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 1
    P0141- O2 Sensor Heater Circut Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 2
    P1298- Honda manufacturer code of some sort...If any one knows about that one please tell me
  • the_weaknessthe_weakness Member Posts: 1
    i need to find the fuel shutoff inertia switch or whatever its called so i can turn the fuel pump on and start my car. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
  • itzallguditzallgud Member Posts: 3
    Hey everyone. Just came across this site and am amazed at all the infomation available in the forums. I just bought a 1997 Civic LX with 117,000 miles, automatic transmission. I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer. Thanks in advance!

1.The SRS light was on when I bought it. I'm fairly confident that this car had not deployed its airbags, but I can't be certain. I have heard that this light can come on for a variety of reasons. What should I do? From what I have read, sounds like I should take it to dealership and have them check it and reset if its nothing serious. But I hear that can be $65-100. Any other routes I could take besides this one?

2.One thing that concerned me but currently is not a problem is the check engine light came on. I bought the car, drove it 2 hours on interstate, then ran it through an automatic carwash and a couple of things happened. First, even though the car was in park, the green light for drive on the guage cluster started flashing a few times, then after a sequence of flashes and no flashes it stopped(about1-2 minutes elapsed, this happened while I was in the bay getting washed). Next when I pulled out, the check engine light came on, then after a few minutes of driving, the speedometer dial started bouncing around erratically. I have read a few posts where this may be attributed to a harness around the manifold rubbing. Is that the case here or not? Now the second part of this. The next day I drove and picked up a new air filter, installed it and took the car to have new tires, oil change and have corrosion taken off the battery posts. When I got back in the car, check engine light was off and speedometer now works. So I wonder if disconnecting battery cleared it or if something else caused it to go away? After 20 minutes of driving, stopping and another car wash(first one did a crappy job!) drove on home still with no light on and speedometer working. I'm hoping it doesn't come back. And back to the transmission issue, it hasn't happened again in the 1 day that has elapsed since. Transmission seems to shift ok, the only thing that felt different to me while I have had the car is that it seems to be geared low or possibly taking to long to shift out into OD. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes I notice after letting off the gas from mild accelaration, it takes a second or two for it to shift out. My transmission mechanic friend via phone told me if the lockup wasn't working properly the check engine light would be one. But of course, that light came on under different circumstances and now has went back off. Any ideas?

3.The maintenance required slot or whatever it is on the guages cluster is red. What does this mean and how can it be reset. I assumed this probably come on after 100,000 miles or something. Anything to be worried about?

4.I know I need a new timing belt because it has not been changed yet. What will this cost me on average? I hear anywhere from $300 to 500. Are there any other maintenance items I should be doing at 117,000 miles? I have bought this car for commuting so I hope to get another 100,000 miles out of it at least. I hope with diligent maintenance and care this can be accomplished. I have always wanted to own a Civic and I'm excited to have one now. In just two days, I love it even with the issues I have mentioned. I hope none are too serious. Thanks for any feedback guys!

One other thing, I guess if the sticker for the car(yep it was still in the glove box!)says it didn't come with keyless entry then I probably can't add a remote and program it right? I would need to install a system? Just wishful thinking I guess!...
This discussion has been closed.