Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    1. The SRS light can come on if one of the sensors is bad. Unfortunately, by disconnecting the battery any code that was stored indicating why the light was on was lost.

2.a. Hopefully you got a copy of the owners manual. There should be a section in it on all of the indicator lights, and what they mean, including why the D indicator would flash. Any code that was stored was lost when the battery was disconnected.

2.b. Honda has "grade logic" in the automatic transmissions, which controls shifting behavior. Disconnecting the battery returned the settings to the default.

3. The maintenance required light is mileage based and is supposed to remind you that a service is due. There should be a slot on the display near the light that you can insert a key in to that will reset that light until the next service interval.

4. Have it changed now, today. The price range you mentioned is reasonable.

If you don't have an Owners Manual for the car please get one and read it cover to cover. Your local Honda dealer should be able to order one for you, or you can order one from helminc.com.

non-car smiley
  • janeway1janeway1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Honda Cicvic EX - Car has been a great car but the AC went this year. I have had 4 Compressors replaced in the car - bad lot of compressors I have been told. Well got on that kinda works now but....

Cold air blows in the morning - blows the afternoon but runs for about 5 minutes in the evening then the unit shuts off. If you check the harness it appears the compressor is getting no power at all. Mechanic has told me the cars computer may be acting up and need to have it analyzed.

I live in Florida - where no AC means pure hell.
  • bcumminsbcummins Member Posts: 16
    I've noticed recently that my 2001 Civic EX makes a strange squeak/squeal when all of the following are true:
    1)The A/C is running
    2)The Brake is depressed
    3)The car moves from a low idle to a higher idle (I'm guessing to support the A/C?)

When turned off the A/C the squeak stops. It also does not happen if I don't have my foot on the break. I mainly notice it when I'm at a stop sign or waiting in line at a drive thru.

The closest thing I can liken the sound to is stepping on a dogs chew toy.

Anybody have an idea of what might be causing this and/or how I can remedy it?
    My 2001 Civic EX has 36K miles. I bought it in the Fall of 2004 with 28K miles. When I last got my oil changed at a Valvoline place last week they suggested I change my Automatic Transmission Fluid. They were pushing a $90 flush.

My buddy told me to make sure I go somewhere that knows Hondas since they use a special ATF. I called the dealer and the service rep surprisingly suggested that I really only needed to have my ATF replaced rather than flushed. I asked her if I needed to worry about all the fluid left in the torque converter and she told me I probably wouldn't need a total flush until 90 or 100K miles. Any thoughts? Am I safe getting a drain/replace at a Lube Joint as long as they use Honda's ATF Z1?
  • civicexse2005civicexse2005 Member Posts: 3
    purchased 3 weeks ago.
    700 miles on it.
    PROBLEM: starting from the first day of driving.
    whenever I remove my foot from the acceleration pedal (now matter gently or harsh), the car seems to slow down very quickly. it was slowing down by 10miles/hour in 8 seconds on the flat road. even if the car is going downhill, it still keep on slowing down but at a moderate rate. I felt that the engine was restrainging the car to roll ahead, which doesn't happen to any of the cars that I have ever driven. is this a problem? or this is something related to the engine-to-be-broken-in issue? Since this is the first brand new car I have, I really don't have any idea.
    I filled the gas tank twice so far. did a little caculation, around 30mpg, far from the EPA rating 31/38. is this related to the engine preventing the car from rolling ahead? Please help me solve this puzzle. Thank you very much.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    civicexse2005,

Why would you not be telling your Honda dealer to immediately resolve the problem under your new car warranty, instead of asking here on this forum? Surely, the factory-trained staff there can quickly provide you with a satisfactory resolution to your concerns.
  • civicownercivicowner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 civic lx and the door latch does not appear to be working. I can't open the door from the inside or the outside. The rods are still connected to the latch, but it doesn't seem to be moving the latch. I have the door panel partially removed, though it's kind of hard to do without the door open. I'd like to be able to get the door open so I can figure out what is wrong with it. Any ideas on how I can force the latch to open?
  • barrytimebarrytime Member Posts: 3
    As I am driving I find that the car rattles starting at 80 and then gets progressively worse moving towards the 90s, It is worse when not accelorationg. I'm wondering if its the stock wheels, which im replacing with 17 inch rims, or the suspension. If anyone has any tips on making the car smooth at these speeds it would be appreciated.
  • rowaxerowaxe Member Posts: 12
    I have an '85 honda CRX Si and i'm trying to find a replacement sensor for the engine. it's a 1600 DOHC. I'm stuck in New Zealand right now so I don't have my usual base of resources. I'm having an idle speed problem I need to isolate. The engine is idling erratically when it's warming up. once I run if for a couple of hours it's fine. when I start it cold it's fine. I pulled the honda shop manual off a UK website and it said to check the TA Sensor. i asked around here and the mechanics said they'd never heard of a TA Sensor and it was probably the fast idle sensor.

Question 1) Is a TA and fast idle sensor the same thing? (if not, which one would be the most likely culprit?)

Question 2) What other cars have the same motor so I can pull the part off a salvage-it-yourself type yard?
  • garyshgarysh Member Posts: 1
    Hi I would like to ask you about the honda "grade logic" in automatic transmittions.

I own a 96 civic VTi and I changed my battery about 6 months ago, these last few months my auto tranny has been playing up and last week it wont even shift to 4th gear from 3rd (70kph is like the highest i can go). My mechanic friend told me to take it into honda car service which i already booked, but then he also mentioned that it might have been that i changed the battery and that i need to reconfigure the computer inside the car? Would that sound right?

Also if it is the transmittion problem, i am looking at a worse case scenario of replacing it, however i know it would cost a whooping amount of money so i can anyone tell me if i replace the transmittion, how much guarantee can i get that it wont play up again??? Any reply would be great help thanks!
  • 2002civic2002civic Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: Hello Everyone

I am having a problem with my electrical system on my 2002 4 cyl honda civic.

The problem started slowly. At first the lights on the cruise control and rear defrost button would come and go. I didn't think to much of it at the time. The dealer told me that the bulbs were bad. I thought it may have been something else b/c sometimes they would work.

Then suddenly one day. The car was running fine. However, the SRS, ABS and battery lights would flash on and off. Then one day in the rain while using wipers, headlights, and my stereo, the electric came to a hault. Only to JUMP back on at full power and again the car ran fine.

I called the dealer and made an appointment. He told me it was most likely the alternator. I think their might be a bad sensor or a short somewhere.

Then the today i wouldn't start. Then with a jump it started fine and ran. However the lights were still flashing on the dash. Then about 20 miles later the battery began to "steam" and "bubble" as if it were overheated. Also the battery is making a terrible smell. This just happened today so I haven't been able to tell the Honda people yet.

Have you ever heard of anything like this?

Your help is much appreciated!
  • jhilemanjhileman Member Posts: 1
    I'm just shocked. Just bought a new civic about a week ago and already the paint has chipped off and there is rust on the door! just a little spot in the middle of the door!? I dunno how something like this could even happen in a new car.

My question is, is this covered under warranty??? Will it cost anything to have this fixed?

thanks in advance
  • mojowolfmojowolf Member Posts: 2
    hello all, I am new to the forum. I have a 1984 Honda Civic CRX (1st yr. made) with 45,200 miles on it. Very nice shape, garage kept for 17 yrs or so. Automatic...a few nicks here and there, interior excellent. Searching for a place to post for sale. I realize this is a desirable vehicle in the collector community. Any ideas?
  • mojowolfmojowolf Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1984 Honda Civic CRX for sale. First yr. made. 45, 200 miles or so. Auto, white, all original, garage kept 17 yrs. a few dings...interior good shape...wanting solid price for this collectors car. Located in N.C. Any ideas where to post? Will make a collector very happy.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I have a 1984 Honda Civic CRX for sale. First yr. made. 45, 200 miles or so. Auto, white, all original, garage kept 17 yrs. a few dings...interior good shape...wanting solid price for this collectors car. Located in N.C. Any ideas where to post? Will make a collector very happy.

I would be interested, but since it is AUTO, $1000 is probably the best you can get. It is not a collector's car, but more of an enthusiast car, and what enthusiast would want some mechanical thing tell him/her when to shift?
  • prwprw Member Posts: 2
    93 del sol SI 1.6 Started running rough at higher speeds. 60 and above. It Also seems to do it when turning corners?? Changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, checked the timing, valves adjusted, o2 sensor. Starts easy, idles good, good low speeds. (Not the tires) It really does it when on a hill or grade. Does not over heat. I can't seem to figure it out. I have not changed the fuel filter, pvc valve. Could any of these things be a problem?? Or can you think of anything else.

Could it be bad motor mounts.

Thanks
  • steve6steve6 Member Posts: 6
    I don't have my '01 any more, but I am curious about the answer to this. I had the same noise, I think........I could also describe it as a whistle.......a "whoop" sound, right? whooooooop, right? almost like a whistle.
    Have it changed at the Honda dealer or at an independent mechanic that specializes in Honda. The Valvoline place is unlikely to stock the Honda ATF Z1 fluid you need.
    the car rattles starting at 80 and then gets progressively worse moving towards the 90s

You didn't say where the rattling comes from so it's hard to make suggestions as to what might be making noise. Or do you mean it vibrates?

And where are you racing your Civic, since 90 MPH on the US highways is not only illegal but unsafe? (hopefully you don't live anywhere near me!).
    i recently bought a 1999 Honda Civic LX w/ 168000Km on it.

The car would juss cut off in about a block or two. then after a few trys...it'd start again...go another block or two...maybe three....Then juss cut off.

In the US there was an ignition switch recall that may be the cause of the problem. I know you said kilometers, so you're not in the US, but there may be a similar recall in your country. The US recall said, in part:

ON CERTAIN SEDANS, COUPES, HATCHBACKS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, ELECTRICAL CONTACTS IN THE IGNITION SWITCH CAN DEGRADE DUE TO THE HIGH ELECTRICAL CURRENT PASSING THROUGH THE SWITCH WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED.
    Consequence:
    WORN CONTACTS COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL WITHOUT WARNING

Good luck.
    Just bought a new civic about a week ago and already the paint has chipped off and there is rust on the door! just a little spot in the middle of the door!?

My question is, is this covered under warranty??? Will it cost anything to have this fixed?

Unless you noticed the paint chip when you picked up the car and pointed it out to the dealer as something that need to be fixed it probably won't be covered by warranty. If it wasn't there when you bought the car, or you didn't notice that it was there, it may have been caused by road debris or someone opening a door into your new car in a parking lot.

The only thing to do is talk to the dealer. They may help you out, but you probably are going to have to pay to have it fixed.

Sorry.
  • bujubuju Member Posts: 1
    so what needs to be replaced or repaired?

Thanks for your help this far,
    Julius
  • barrytimebarrytime Member Posts: 3
    On the highway's near me if you dont keep up you get pushed off the road, its a vibrating about the whole car. The entire car shudders and shakes/vibrates. Im hoping that my new wheels will fix it. But could it be the suspension?
    Steve6 - whoooooooooop. Yes, that is exactly it. It's almost like there's a small door or something that is making that noise when opening or closing. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a likely cause. If I take it in for the transmission flush, I'll ask the technicians.
    Do I need to have the fluid flushed or just replaced?
    bcummins,

If your Owner's Manual's Maintenance Schedule specifies flushing (which it probably does not) than go with it. Otherwise, following Honda's (the manufacturer's) schedules is all you should do. Don't pay attention to local shops who are trying to sell unnecessary services at your expense.
  • lmoorelmoore Member Posts: 1
    Also, experiencing the same problem ... nothing stuck underneath, tire on car, brake pads look fine, rotor looks okay, no CV damage apparent, wheel bearings don't seem to be the issue, wife whine, mechanic no help (just wants to replace everything).

Did you or chanel5 ever have any luck with this problem? Or heard from someone that did?

Thanks,
    Lance
  • jlim1jlim1 Member Posts: 50
    I have a '01 Civic EX. At about 52K this summer, it made almost similar sound with similar driving conditions described previously (stop-go-stop because of traffic into Shipshewana's flea market parking), A/C was on (outside was typical July summer). The sound was more like a siren (whooo, 3 times). I could hear it from inside cabin and was sure it be louder outside.

The noise never came back, but that was a scare at the time. Strange.
  • janellemjanellem Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 honda civic, my problem is that the windshield washer fluid no longer works, i am thinking is is electrical because when i put my cruise control on, it doesnt work, however it does make my wipers work! Anyone know what I can do to fix it??
  • mich08mich08 Member Posts: 1
    After driving for about 10 mins, my ABS light flashed on. I began to park the car and the ABS light came on again, and remained on. I turned off the car, then turned it back on, and all of the lights began to flicker. I called Honda and they told me to have the car towed to the dealer, which I did.
    Upon arrival, the tow truck guy said that the alternator needed to be changed. When at Honda, they confirmed it. They changed it and sent me off -- things appeared fine. I went to the store, started the car again, and drove the 4 miles home. When I went to park the car, the light came on again (please note I had my lights on since it was night time, the air conditioner pn since its summer and hot, and the radio). I called Honda again and they told me that maybe the battery should be replaced (even though it tested 100% at the shop and i was already at the shop for 2 hours). Have you heard of this happening? I have only had my car for 2 years! I dont know whats going on. They seem to not be saying anything about the ABS system -- which is strange to me since that is the light that is turning on. and the car is dead again and must be towed there tomorrow. any advice, thoughts would be appreciated as I am freaking out. Will the change in battery be under warranty? is this even the problem????
  • pre_fon_tainepre_fon_taine Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2002 honda civic lx with 42,000 miles. I am now experiencing a clicking noise from the front of my car during deceleration. I hear one or two clicks when I slow down around 20 mph and also just before I stop the car. Any suggestions on what this might be? Thanks.
    pre_fon_taine,

Have your brakes checked.
  • pre_fon_tainepre_fon_taine Member Posts: 3
    Could my brakes be the problem? Why do the few clicks only occur around decelerating around 20 mph and before stopping? It seems like they happen when the gears shift down to a lower gear. And I hear the few clicks even when I don't have the brakes applied and the car is slowing down. Thanks again for any replies.
    so what needs to be replaced or repaired?

The ignition switch has two major components. The lock and the electrical switch. The switch part is what the dealer replaces. You will still be able to use the same keys. (and yes, I know my description of the ignition switch is somewhat simplistic). Since it's a recall contact your Honda dealer to confirm that the recall covers your vehicle and then schedule an appointment to have it fixed for free.

Good luck.
  • ebengotebengot Member Posts: 3
    I've had my 95 Civic DX AT for more than three months now, and I've noticed that that fuel economy's not up to par with the average--24 mpg combined city highway. I know that automatics generally use more fuel than manuals, but even so, the EPA ratings I got from edmunds.com--29-36 mpg--means that I'm missing out on 5-12 mpg on this car. I have the previous owner's maintenance records, so I know it's been taken care of before I got it. The receipts the seller had from the dealership said they did a 120,000-mile tune-up on the car just 4000 miles before I got it, and they replaced a whole lot of stuff (timing belt, water pump, PS pump belt, alternator belt, compressor belt, spark plugs, among other things). The car was taken for regular oil changes thereafter. I don't drive aggressively at all; I cruise at most 65 mph in highways and 45 mph on side streets. I've change the oil, the oil filter, the spark plugs and the O2 sensor. I've also put fuel system cleaner in there. It's not the high mileage, either; it's still 120,000 when I got it. I only use the A/C if I couldn't stand the heat anymore. I lived in AZ for a while, so the heat doesn't really bother me. If I do use it, it's not in full blast. Not the wheels, either--I checked them before buying, and they're still good. I also changed the two front tires to add a bit more traction (and the fact that they were getting separated kinda made me say uncle). I check the air pressure every time I go to get gas, so that's shouldn't be a problem. I did put in a CAI in hope that'll make it consume less gas. Plus, I'm changed from cheap gas to Chevron (I pump 87 like the manual says). I planning on having the timing checked if the CAI and the gas switching doesn't work. What else can I do to restore the fuel economy to what it should be? I'm at my wits' end!
    ebengot,

EPA ratings have always been a joke. They are unrealistic, in that they are based upon indoor testing on a dynamometer. There are no headwinds, hills, stoplights, etc. You may want to read some of the comments here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=EPA+mileage+testing+reality

You may want to have your brakes checked to see if one or more is not releasing completely when you take your foot off the pedal.
  • cphillipscphillips Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have the same model car and experiencing the same problem. The mechanic can't seem to pinpoint the problem.

I've had the Thermostat replaced and have had the Freon charged. It still blows cold for about 15 minutes and then gets hot. It seems as if something is overheating.

Did you get any resolution.

It's very hot here too in Virginia

Thanks,

CDP
  • ruduscivicruduscivic Member Posts: 1
    My 95 Honday Civic has a problem with the gas gauge. When the car sits over night the gauge shows the proper fuel level (below quarter tank). But, after it sits in the hot South Texas sun, the fuel gauge reads FULL. My mechanic can't figure out what's wrong. He replaced the gauge and it's still goofed up. Two questions: 1. what will fix this? 2. Is the car drivable without the fuel gauge or does this affect a reading to the on-board computer? (is there one?)
  • angelawalker25angelawalker25 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 98 Honda Civic and a 95 Honda Civcic...On the 95 the a/c only blows on the 3 and 4 selection. On my 98 the a/c only blows on the 4 selection. I was advised this was my A/C SWITCH..Do you think this may be the problem. My a/c blows extremely cold, I have no probems with that.
    I have a 98 Honda Civic and a 95 Honda Civcic...On the 95 the a/c only blows on the 3 and 4 selection. On my 98 the a/c only blows on the 4 selection. I was advised this was my A/C SWITCH..Do you think this may be the problem. My a/c blows extremely cold, I have no probems with that.

Sounds like the fan speed selector switch if anything. Does the fan behave the same with the A/c off? With the heat on?
  • angelawalker25angelawalker25 Member Posts: 4
    The Fan??? I haven't turned on the heater. Are you asking if the heat blows on the other selections? If it is the 'fan speed selector' is that expensive to repair?
  • computranscomputrans Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I read about your problem with your honda civic. I may have the same problem you had. You did you get it fixed, did'nt you? Was it the computer? Was it the Transmission? How much did it cost?

I have a 98 Honda Civic.

Thanks
  • greyhawkgreyhawk Member Posts: 4
    hi,

Hi, I own a 2005 Civic Sedan AT.

I hear this clicking/creaking sound after I turn off the ignition of the car. This sound is happens 2-3 times a second and lasts for about 3-4 minutes after I shut off the car. I spoke to a service guy at the dealership where I purchased and he told me this was normal "happens with every Civic" and comes from the exhaust system cooling. does anyone else in this forum notice this about your car?

thanks for your time
    Greyhawk5
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    it's normal, forget it.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    A joke on some cars; perfectly accurate on others. My 2003 Honda Accord 4 cylinder 5 speed manual had a EPA rating of 34/26. In 38000 miles, I never had a single tank below 26. It got 28-31 in mixed driving. It got 33-36 on pure highway driving. The EPA numbers were spot on. Other vehicles I have owned were clearly below the estimates though. Anything below 30-32 for mixed driving in a Civic is not acceptable manual or auto; something is definitely wrong.
  • crkdcatcrkdcat Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Honda Civic LX-Same thing..car is great, but have AC issues.

My issue is kind of the same as janeway1, except it is semi-cool in the morning and late evening, but the afternoon it blows....HOT air. I have had several people look at it and they checked everything they could and said the compressor/fan doesn't turn on...they said the same thing about my computer...

Any luck on either of you finding relief..I live in Phoenix, AZ and IT IS REALLY HOT here. :)
  • civicexse2005civicexse2005 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, Thank you for your suggestion. I took the car to the dealership, they inspected, told me nothing is wrong. However, at the same time, I test drove another civic at the dealer's lot, didn't have the drag feeling at all. then I made an appointment with a regional honda service personel today. we both test drove my civic and his civic. he admitted that my car is obviously a little tighter than his. but still didn't think its a problem. Now, he suggest to make another appointment witht the dealership, just to double check the brake and stuff. Getting frustrated.....
    Any one here experience the same problem as mine?
  • angelmangelm Member Posts: 5
    IT is probably some adjusmest that went wrong and slowing it down
    The Fan??? I haven't turned on the heater. Are you asking if the heat blows on the other selections? If it is the 'fan speed selector' is that expensive to repair?

Yes, the question is: Does the blower behave the same without the a/c on, or with the heat on? You saying that the fan does not blow at fan setting 2. Does the fan blow when you don't have the A/C button pushed? Does it blow when you have "fresh air" or "recirculation" on? If the answer is yes to both, then it is the fan selector switch, not A/C.

I don't know about 98, but 99 had a digital voltage regulator. The transistors would burn out sometimes. The actual knob is just a "clicker," the transistored voltage regulator is near the fan. You would need a HELMS manual to do the repair your self. The part is about $30-$50 from online Honda parts dealer.
  • cphillipscphillips Member Posts: 2
    I went to another website and found that there are several people with 1995 Honda's that have the same issue. The problem seems to be with the HVAC control panel. The recommendation is to replace it. It happens to be on back order from the factory. Go figure.
This discussion has been closed.