Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• gbeckmangbeckman Member Posts: 2
    I'm experiencing a similar problem. My battery died yesterday and was replaced along with the 80amp battery fuse after a botched attempt at starting the car with jumper cables. Everything works fine now, except for the radio.... I checked the fuse box under the dash and the 10amp radio fuse is good. The radio shows no sign of life, does'nt even show the "code" message. I think I have the code which is a combo of two letters and three numerals....

:confuse:
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    ppe ... Sounds like your alternator's gone belly-up.

Meade
  • pdanapdana Member Posts: 19
    possibly be the "main relay"?
  • jhs1886jhs1886 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. I will try the main relay as well as the fuel pump relay. Thats all I can think of to try.
  • mrymry Member Posts: 1
    i have honda civic 2005 and when i accelerate with it first time it accelerates very will but if i slow down for any reason and try to re accelerate it takes time to reaccelerate again is there any solve for this problem i asked at honda they told me this is normal and all civic like this but i think it is not normal can any one help...?
  • amoomoocowskiamoomoocowski Member Posts: 1
    Hi, everyone! I hope someone can help me, because my husband says he's had it with my car! I'm not very car savvy, but my father-in-law is, and he may be able to help me.

240K miles, on second engine (replaced @ 218K, new one had 18K, so newer engine has 40K). After I got the new engine, my MPG dropped 25% (which may have nothing to do with my problems.)

Car stalls when braking for lights, turning corners, always when braking or decelerating after clutch is depressed. For awhile, the car would restart pretty easily, but the last time, it wouldn's restart even an hour later for the tow truck driver.

Items replaced: fuel filter, fuel pump and screen. Our general mechanic puts the car "on the computer", but no problems are found there.

Driving it home with the new fuel pump on Friday, it seemed to be running smoother(for $410, it should :))...but after driving for less than 10 miles to my home, it cut off turning into my driveway. It restarted, but...could it be that with a new fuel pump, it will take some breaking in?

I'm scared to drive the thing now. There's an AutoZone about 20 miles from here, but I can't afford another tow! What should I do?

TIA! :shades:
  • jburkjburk Member Posts: 5
    I was wondering what an easy way would be to take off a rotor button on a 92 civic
  • klippensteinklippenstein Member Posts: 1
    ok my brother owns a 98 civic and he went to start it this morning and it did the normal battery dead thing. and didn't start but then when he got someone to boost him it did nothin just clicked. I was thinkin it was the starter that went but i really don't know. any help would be awesome
  • thehuacthehuac Member Posts: 11
    HELLO EVERYONE, MY 2004 HONDA CIVIC EX COUPE, 5 SPEED HAS ABOUT 65,000 MILES WHEN AM I SUPPOSED TO CHANGE THE TIMING BELT?
  • thehuacthehuac Member Posts: 11
    Also, when applying the brakes from 80 MPH my steering wheel vibrates alot but the mechanic says that it's not the rotors and not the brakes anyone got any ideas as to what else can cause this.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's either the rotors or you have something very very loose under there. You'd better check again on that. The rotors can be tested with a run-out gauge.
  • sam47sam47 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    First, let me thank you for posting!! I was on my way to work today & the transmission on my 2001 Honda Civic EX went nuts! It just kept revving & wouldn't change gears & I couldn't go over 20mph. I had the car towed to the dealership & they informed me that the transmission was shot. I ONLY HAVE 31K MILES ON IT! :cry: I have an extended warranty but that is now in debate as far as what they will cover. I started researching online & found this link. I called the Honda number & was given a case number. The associate informed me that, although he cannot guarantee anything, he'd be shocked if they didn't assist me since the mileage is so low. They'll be getting back to me w/in 24-48 hours. I'll let you know how that turns out. Thanks, again, for your post b/c I wouldn't have even known that this was an option!!
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Caps off please, you're killing my eyes.

Check your owner's manual for the answer to your question.
  • apkundertakerapkundertaker Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1994 honda civic 4 cylinder which will not run i can get it to run but then the fuel injectors seem to be stuck or something because it causes the fuel to flood the motor i have replaced the oxygen sensor,fuel pressure regulator,and mass air sensor if someone knows anything about this i would like to here your comments i have been trying to figure this out for almost 6 months :D
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    On the 05 Civic, I think it is 90,000 miles. If that is not correct, I will repost the correct one when I get the book and look it up.
  • lumlum Member Posts: 1
    i am glad i found this forum. i got a brand new 2005 honda civic. i have put in less than 9000 miles. now i got a emission control light showed up. i checked the oil and coolant since my previous honda accord used to eat up my coolant. the coolant is gone/dried. is this normal? i asked the dealership before i bought the car and he said that he hasnt heard anything about the new civic that would do that. can anyone help me why my emission control light is on?

thanks
  • civicex05civicex05 Member Posts: 42
    Your car is still under warranty. Take it to the dealership and they will be able to tell you what the problem is, and fix it free of charge. :)
  • civicex05civicex05 Member Posts: 42
    In the 60,000 miles that you owned your Honda Civic, did you ever have the transmission fluid changed? If the answer to this question is "yes", did you replace the fluid with factory fluid or after market fluid?

There have a few instances of automatic transmission failures on 7th generation Civics (2001 - 2005). As the owner of a 2005 Civic EX, I am very interested in knowing WHY they failed. The question above was never answered by "mmurua", so I'd like to have anyone else who's automatic transmission has failed to answer the same questions. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
  • mmuruammurua Member Posts: 4
    I am glad the info I provided on this forum helped someone. Did Honda Corp offer to pay for your transmission? I was very fortunate that Honda decided to pay for my transmission. I saved myself over $3000!!! :) I was responsible for the Labor which was $330, which I will pay anyday instead of $3300 + tax for a transmission!! I just got a call back today from the dealer to pick up my car, but now they are telling me my engine light is on and they would charge me a $99 to do a pinpoint test (just for the test) . This is so odd?? When I dropped off my car the engine light was not on, and I would assure you they would of mentioned it to me when I dropped off the car? I think some dealers are just our to get more money off you!! I called Corporate again and left a message regarding this suituation. Waiting for a call back.
  • mmuruammurua Member Posts: 4
    Yes, it was changed around 40,000 miles, since I was out of my warranty I had the fluid change outside of the Honda Dealer. I still think a 01 Honda Civic at 60,000 miles transmission should not be blowing out!! If this is the case I should of but a Hundai for $5,000 less with a 10 year warranty! I trusted Honda and that is why I chose to have a higher premium, I would never expected to have this problem with a Honda at 60,000 miles. At the end, I am satisfied that I did choose Honda as oppose to a Hundai since Corporate decided to pay for the entire cost of the transmission. I know another dealer would not have done nothing for me, especially since I was out of my warranty....
  • gecklergeckler Member Posts: 1
    I have 01 civic w/ 55,000mi. the transmission failed also. Honda agreed to replace it. All I learned so far from the dealer is that the codes from machine they hooked the car to said the transmission failed. Obviously there is a defect in the transmission, but what specifically is the problem? I have seen were people have put 2-3 transmissions in their Honda. Has anyone who had their transmission replace had it last or is it time to sell the car?
  • jburkjburk Member Posts: 5
    I'm having trouble figuring out how to take of my rear wiper blade on my 92 Civic Hatchback. Does anybody have any advice?
    Thanks for your help
  • 93civiclx93civiclx Member Posts: 2
    hello i own a wonderful 1993 Honda Civic LX , it has 180,000 miles and runs like a dream the car was given to me as a gift from my aunt a few years ago they always kept everything up to par on the car,anytime there was a minor problem it went directly in the shop it even has a brand new radiator on it but ever since ive had the car the temperature guage will redline out of nowhere then it will shoot from the hot mark to the cold mark outta nowhere it happens when its driven awhile or while idling at a stoplight the car doesnt appear to be overheating though even though the temp guage says so but i would like to get this problem fixed. my aunt who gave me the car lives in texas and she drove the car from texas to illinois wich was a 11 hour drive and she said the whole time it was redlining and ive driven it many miles since that and have never had a problem out of it . would you happen to know what could be the cause and how much it will cost me to get the problem fixed? my aunt was told it is some type of switch that cost 40$ from autozone that tells the car whether its hot or cold but im not sure if thats true. also when its cold outside in the winter my heat doesnt work and the temp guage will not leave the cold mark
    Yes, sounds like either the temperature sending unit, or less likely the gauge itself or the sending unit wire that goes to the gauge is lose or grounding (touching metal somewhere).
  • 93civiclx93civiclx Member Posts: 2
    i am thinking of taking the car to a honda dealer and having them put it on the machine and fix all of the minor problems is that a good idea or a costy one? point is i know the car is still good and will last many more miles i would rather put a few grand into this car that i know is good rather than having a 500$ car payment
    Well I don't know that you need to go to the dealer for general repairs. They usually don't like to work on old cars anyway. If i were you, I'd find a good independent shop that specializes in japanese cars.
  • beckiemasonbeckiemason Member Posts: 1
    I got a 2006 Civic last week. I love it---except---the stereo gets terrible static on all AM (FM is ok) stations. I took it back to the dealer yesterday. They took the stereo out to check the connections (no problems) and then brought in another 06 Civic to compare the two. Said they both were similar in reception. They said it may be a problem that Honda will address after the car has been out in the market for a while and other owners complain. Maybe, a recall? They suggested I call customer service to voice my complaint and hang tight for a couple of months. Meanwhile---STATIC! Any suggestions?
  • 1badsolsi1badsolsi Member Posts: 1
    I got ahold of a 93 del sol si with an old clunker b18a i have a friend into building honda's and he has a 97 3.0 that i would like to drop under my hood.. does anyone have any info on where to start and possibly a link on how to? any help would be appreciated..
    1badsolsi
  • goosegoose Member Posts: 77
    Love the car. Its the best Honda to date. Anyway I have two issues. 1. My stereo starts to skip. It happens during the evening or after I've been going around starting and stopping the engine. At least I believe thats the case. I first noticed it during the night. It could also be the stereo is heating up. Anyway the skipping happens with MP3 disks and store bought CD's. 2. The other problem is rattles in my rear deck. It happens once the interior cools down. The problem is not present when the vehicle has been in the heat and the interior has heated up. Any suggestions? :shades:
  • asg2307asg2307 Member Posts: 8
    When it is cold in the morning my 1985 Civic Wagon will rev to 3500-4000 rpm after a minute of operation. It will continue to idle fast until warm. What part of the carburator is controlling the idle? Can this be adjusted or disconnected? My foot can provide the alternative idle if needed.
  • rleonerleone Member Posts: 2
    I cannot find this part on my car. Is it possible some 2000 Civic engines do not have a PCV valve? rleone
  • omyciviomycivi Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Civic w/ CD player. I learned that you have to turn the radio completely off (so only clock is displayed). Next, you press on the SCAN button (aka CLOCK BUTTON) and then hit the M and the H buttons below to adjust. I hope that is how you can change yours, as well. :D
  • pcrosby777pcrosby777 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 94 civic Lx, I have replaced the radiator, the radiator cap and the thermostat. when the car is idling in one spot I dont see any coolant leaking onto the ground, but the car seems to be losing coolant and overheating constantly. at first I thought it was the heater core leaking but the carpet in the car is not wet, I also thought it could be the head gasket but the oil does not have coolant in it.

Where could the coolant be going?
    Is it possible to have a blown head gasket and not get coolant in the oil?
    And if its not the heater core or the head gasket what else could it be?
    I am really confused and frustrated.
    any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
  • rleonerleone Member Posts: 2
    Head gasket leak. Coolant is going out exhaust via exhaust valve.
  • dolsondolson Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a 3 to 6 year old Civic for my teenaged daughter. I came across a 2001 that has only 9,000 km. I'm concerned that there hs been too little usage of the car. A friend of mine bought a car about ten years ago with low mileage and spent the next three years working out maintenance issues. Am I asking for trouble if I buy this car?
  • jimd3jimd3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 91 honda civic, could someone offer advice on how to get the alternator out, doesn't look there is any room to go out the top.
    is there anyway to confirm this? I would hate to go through the hassle of changing the head gasket if it wasnt the problem.

Thanks
    Yes have the coolant tested for combustion gases. Simple test, 100% certain answer for that TYPE of head gasket failure. Coolant can also be burned as a white steam and it dissipates very quickly so you might not notice it. But you are right, you may or may not get coolant in your oil with a bad head gasket. It depends where it fails and why. For other types of head gasket leak, you can do a cylinder leakdown test or a cooling system pressure test.
    is the test something i can pick up at an autoparts store or do I have to take the car to a mechanic?
  • mpontoonmpontoon Member Posts: 2
    My 1993 Honda civic does the same thing. I'm trying to figure out what the problem is. What was your solution. :(
  • donny1donny1 Member Posts: 2
    Well, I had thought the main relay was the problem. But, I replaced it with a new one, and the problem remains. :confuse: From what I've read, the ignition switch could also be the culprit. I guess that I either need to break down and spend some time checking circuits/amperage or pay someone else to do it. Either that or just get rid of the damn car! :lemon: Let me know if you're able to find the source of this problem. Thanks!
    I THINK they sell a kit or used to. Try Autozone and google around the internet and see what pops up.
  • irshis20irshis20 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Civic with 67,000 miles in the shop today having an O2 sensor repaired. Less than four months ago I had to have the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter replaced (under warranty, thank goodness), and now this. I know little about how a car engine works, but have coworkers/friends that do, and they think the O2 sensor may have been damaged when the dealer replaced the manifold/converter. I was suspicious also, as it seems like more than coincidence that I've had to have two major repairs to my exhaust system in 3+ months. The dealer has told me the O2 sensor is not covered under the 8/80k warranty, so I am out approx. $400 for this repair. Should I confront the dealer with my friends' theories of damage during the last service? If the dealer won't budge on this, does anyone think Honda Corporate would?
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    If the O2 sensor worked for 3-4 months after the manifold/converter repair, you're gonna have a hard time convincing the dealer it was their fault with the original work.

Any reason why you didn't replace it yourself or have a smaller independent shop do it? I replaced one on my 98 Mustang and it was a piece of cake. Cost at Discount Auto was $70 plus took me a half hour total. Cost at the dealer $200+ and then an hour or two labor (yeah, go figure).
  • irshis20irshis20 Member Posts: 2
    Didn't replace it myself because I've never done any repairs or maintenance on my car at all...I don't know anything about it that can't be found in the owners manual. $95 of the cost is just diagnostics to see what the engine light was on for, then $200 or so for the part, plus labor. Depending on what the problem was, it might've still been under warranty, so figured dealer was worth a shot. And no, there is no AutoZone close to me! :)
  • ettieettie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 civic lx 1.6 liter engine. My wife has been complaining about the car stalling every so often. Checked the spark plugs today and they were covered in oil. My brother says it's the valve gasket and it's a pretty easy job to do yourself. Anybody have a write up on this? Time it takes to do? Also is this a common problem because I had this same problem last year which was fixed by a shop.
  • files_fanfiles_fan Member Posts: 3
    I had a 1992 civic lx for almost 10 years and 200k and haven't had the weird problems that I have had with this one. In the last 2 months with the 2002, first the ELD and alternator went ($1000) and then the shield for the cat converter went and I am being told that since the top of the shield is loose that the whole thing should be replaced for $800+ .

Is there a chance on earth that this will be covered by the warranty (8 yrs/80,000) ?

Is anyone else having these kind of problems with the 2002 ex or do I have a lemon and should I be dumping this thing asap?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    you can research parts cost and get a nice diagram of the 2 sensor arrangement with respect to the other components here:
    http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

Choose:
    Honda Parts link
    Model: Civic
    Year: 1999
    Select the Trim
    Select the Transmission Type
    Choose component: Exhaust Manifold(1)
  • low_lifelow_life Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1990 honda civic dx with a motor swap to si and i can go out and crank it right up but after a few miles down the road it starts acting like it has ran out of gas and i have checked the fuel pump and it s good i talked to 1 person and they said it had obd1 injectors and an obd 2 computer setup could that be the cause of the problems or do u have any other ideas or is it an electrical problem from the swapwith a messed up harness please let me know im out of a ride
  • pyroken03pyroken03 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 honda civic manual trany. Last night while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear it felt almost as if my foot had slipped off the clutch. However the peddle was still down i was no longer able to shift at all. I am still able to get the car to turn on by putting the clutch down but other then that i can do nothing. Any Ideas as to what it is and how much it will cost to fix??? Any suggestions would be great.
This discussion has been closed.