Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    And after you've done the 100,000 miles you'll probably be able to sell it for what you paid for it!

An EX...? Really? Salvage title?

Wow!
  • brorjacebrorjace Member Posts: 588
    Brandon_B01, try the "Civic" section of this site:

www.Honda-Acura.net

--- Bror Jace
  • fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    It was a trade. Not very well loved. Very light hail, 3 different size tires, hubcaps shot, needed detail. A diamond in the rough. Little elbow grease and 3 new goodyears(one on the car was fine) and it's a nice looking lil daily driver. Looks great next to my Lexus.
  • rae52rae52 Member Posts: 102
    Auburn63, I have a '99 Civic DX hatch that has 41k miles.

My local Honda dealer (Clinton Honda)is offering to install Honda a/c for $1150.00. They told me that they've had the AC kit for 2 years and they are sending it back to Honda the week of July 9th.

Is my car too old to consider having the dealers' tech tear eveything apart to install it? I'm totally paranoid just knowing what has to be done to install it, and is their price reasonable. It comes with a 12month 12k warranty.

Please respond back quickly--I would appreciate it. Thank You.
  • spokanespokane Member Posts: 514
    You are correct that quite a few components must be removed to install the A/C kit. However, each of these items is pretty straightforward in that the technician unbolts it and then re-installs it after attaching the appropriate A/C parts. While some items are tricky to reach, there are very few items that require adjustment or calibration. This is a "factory" kit which means that your A/C components will be identical to the factory-installed system of the higher-trim-line models. All of the electrical wiring is already in place so there are no "messy" electrical connections to be made. Even though there are quite a few parts involved, this is a not a difficult job. In short, I would not worry about the quality of work if the technician has done this before -- and most of them have. I am not a technician and I have done this job with no trouble. I hope you can get them to lower the price since you are negotiating for a system that they obviously regard as being "obsolete". As part of your request for a lower price, perhaps you could offer to let them do the job at a time that suits them best... some time when their shop work load is low. Good luck.
  • bklynboybklynboy Member Posts: 16
    A lovely note from Honda was in the mail yesterday. Does Honda just shovel components into a big box and ship it to the dealers? Does anybody work in quality control there? I am torn between shouting out to the world that the 2001 Civic is a piece of junk, or quietly trying to resell it to some other unsuspecting bonehead, just like Honda did to me.

June 2001
    Safety recall: Civic fuel pump connector
    Dear Civic owner: this notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

What is the reason for this notice?
    Honda Motor Co. Ltd. Has determined that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists with the fuel pump in certain 2001 Civic sedans. The fuel pump may fail due to corrosion of an electrical terminal. If the pump stops working, the engine will stall without waring, and a crash could occur.

What should you do?
    Call any authorized Honda automobile dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle inspected. If necessary, the dealer will install a new fuel filter kit that includes new terminals for the fuel pump connector. This repair will be done free of charge. Please plan to leave your car for at least half a day to allow the dealer flexibility in scheduling.

Bla bla bla about contacting a dealer or the NHTSA if you feel a dealer has not handled your call promptly (which Honda defines as 60 days after you initially call the dealer).

Honda Consumer affairs Dept
    800 999 1009
  • madirishman1madirishman1 Member Posts: 15
    Geeeeez...you should complain a little more. You're lucky that you've only received one of those recall notices. Check out the Ford Focus. They had an [non-permissible content removed]-load of recalls and such.
  • scooter62scooter62 Member Posts: 18
    My fuel fill hose clamp recall came yesterday. I live in MN and Honda US said they send noticed by regions and is VIN specific. Wow, if a little torque wasn't done on these clamps, I'm afraid the whole thing might fall apart! ;-)
  • daveyddaveyd Member Posts: 14
    What 2001 Civic is this recall affecting? I have an EX Coupe, and by the sounds of a couple posts before, it looks like the sedans. But does anyone know if this going to affect the coupe too, cuz i havent recieved anything in the mail yet.
    D
  • madirishman1madirishman1 Member Posts: 15
    I believe that that recall notice does, in fact, affect coupes as well.
  • mhobbymhobby Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 coupe that really seems to be having problems cooling now that it's getting pretty warm in my neck of the woods. I tried using the search feature of this site to find other posts from others experiencing this but all I get is the list itself not specific posts. The car is only about a month old with less than 700 miles. Have others experienced this?
  • bklynboybklynboy Member Posts: 16
    This stuff just writes itself. You can't make it up. My wife had dropped the car at the dealer for service for the recall notice we got yesterday (that was for the fuel pump and possible corrosion on the contacts); when she got back home today, there was another recall for the incorrect torque on the fuel line problem. I am beyond stunned. Here's a link to the NHTSA site for more info on these rolling pieces of junk; oh -- and here's my poetry for the night:

H-Happy

O-Owners

N-Need to

D-Drive

A-Acuras

C-Civic

I-Isn't

V-Very

I-Intelligently

C-Constructed

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recmmy1.cfm

You may need to cut and paste the link above to get it all in your browser's address line.

• bevocbsbevocbs Member Posts: 2
    I have a 91 civic with about 150K miles. I have a couple of problems that I would appreciate feedback on before taking it in to dealer (possibly related problems or maybe completely separate). The first problem is with the air conditioner. For the past year and 1/2 my air conditioner has worked only sporadically at best. You can turn it on and it will be cool for a few minutes, but within 10 or 15 minutes it will only blow hot air. If you leave it running for a while, it will eventually cool again for another 10 or 15 minutes, but then go back to hot air. The hotter it is outside (I live in TX so it can get hot) or the hotter the engine gets, the more problems and the shorter time it cools. It has gotten to the point that I don't even turn it on anymore. Also, you can definitely tell the car runs differently when the A/C is on. If you turn the A/C off, whether you are driving or idling, you can feel the different speed at which the engine is running. Also, if it is very hot and you try to leave the A/C on (especially if on setting 3 or 4), the car will die while idling.

The second problem is with starting the car. After driving the car for just a few minutes (e.g. a trip to the grocery store), it is often very difficult to start back up. When you first try to start it, it soundd like it is starting, but then just die. Then it won't start unless you let it sit for 5 minutes or so (when trying to start it sounds like a car with a carborator would sound if it was flooded). After a few minutes, it will start and run fine. Again, this problem seems to be exacerbated by the heat (don't have the problem during winter).

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    So how many 01 Civic recalls are we up to? Is anyone keeping track?
    Hard to start warm Civics are caused by a bad fuel injector relay. Have this replaced.

I love this, only a Honda would get the following complaint: "My Honda has 150,000 miles on it and it will sometimes stall and the A/C isn't as strong as it used to be ..."

Most owners of most cars would have already written off their car after 10 years and 150,000 miles. If the thing ran AT ALL they'd be thanking the stars and heaven above. But, people expect miracles from Honda cars and this is why we have so many complaints.

Now, for a weak A/C, have the freon level checked. As for why the car may die if you leave it idling, the car has a well-used 1.5L motor and the A/C compressor is a serious drag on it. You just have to realize that you can't have it all: great fuel economy and gobs of extra torque to handle such burdens with aplomb. My old 400 CID V8 Chevy Caprice used to have a great, powerful A/C ... but it got 12mpg ... if I was LUCKY!

All I'm saying is people need to be more realistic. Yes, I'm not terribly impressed with the 2001 Civic ... but it's not the lemon so many people here make it out to be.

--- Bror Jace
  • daveyddaveyd Member Posts: 14
    The 2k1 Civic hasnt had half as many recalls as some of the other cars out there (Focus) Not every car is perfect. A Car is a mechanical thing, and mechanical things break, and wear out over time. Just cause a car has had one or two recalls doesnt mean it is a horrible car. I have a 2k1 Civic, and wouldn't want to drive anything else. I am very satisfied, and I bet there are many many more people that are also satisfied. My 1990 Chevy Lumina had 6 recalls in the span of the 3 years I owned, and these recalls were small problems that were fixed for free with out hassle from the dealer.
    My 2 cents.
    D
  • cwosignscwosigns Member Posts: 13
    Hey guys!

Don't rain on this guy's parade. He might expect it to last 10 years/250k. It might not be absurd to think so, either. I have a '97 EX coupe with 165,079 miles and it's still purring like a kitten. Can barely hear the engine when it idles. Drives smoothly, great gas mileage, and still looks great (Vogue Silver Metallic is holding up well).

Chris Owens
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  • mcclure486mcclure486 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 Honda Civic with 268,421 miles on it, and am looking out my office windows at it right now, just made a trip to VA in it, it has been a great car, have had a couple of small problems out of it, but I started reading this stuff, and this is not a consumer tip line at all, this is nothing more that a bunch of people bitching and complaining because life has not been perfect to them.
  • pallovepallove Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX sedan. When I am driving down an incline at a shallow angle, I apply brakes using constant foot pressure and suddenly there is surge of pressure applied to the brakes. This sudden braking surge cause the the car to jerk suddenly. It is as though more braking pressure is being applied but I am not doing anything different with my foot braking pressure.

Has anyone experienced this?
  • gasguzzgasguzz Member Posts: 214
    or are you talking Grade Logic?
  • vaforniavafornia Member Posts: 11
    I have an automatic 1997 honda civic ex coupe. When driving at high speed on the freeway, and then coming to a slow in the exit. The car rpm gauge in my civic drop down close to 1000 rpm while the car slowing down to about 50mph and then the rpm surge up again. Does anyone have this kind of problem or know what wrong?
  • alreadytakenalreadytaken Member Posts: 2
    I noticed after I turn a corner and get on the gas the car hesitates for just a moment (maybe a second at most) before accelerating...sorta like going 'huh?.' Reminds me of my boxer dog when she tilts her head when I ask her something. Also noticed the tranny is a bit touchy around town... wants to get up to fourth in a hurry and the rpms occasionally pop up a tad before shifting... like putting in a clutch too soon. I have a DX sedan with auto. Built in 2/01 in Ohio ('1' is the first VIN number character). Heard about the fuel pump recall notice that might apply to this but haven't received anything from Honda. Just wondering if others have had these problems.
  • pere_ubupere_ubu Member Posts: 10
    My vin also starts with '1', and it was also assembled in E.Liberty Ohio. Mine is a 2001 EX coupe.

I don't get the rpm problem, but the graded logic might be kicking in when you make the corner turn.
    A bolt that MAY not have the correct torque and a connector that MAY corrode are the kind of recalls i could deal with. It beats needing a new engine or stuctural changes. Ya think?
  • civic10civic10 Member Posts: 1
    Certified honda service doesn't mean a thing

I own a 2000 civic si and took it in for a routine 30,000-mile maintenance and got majorly screwed by a certified honda dealer service center. The car was running fine till I let these grease monkeys adjust the valves, which is more than their IQ. When I got the car, after spending 4 hours sitting in the waiting room, the check engine light came on and the idle was jumping around. The car would stall out if you pushed the clutch. I drove the car right back in for an explanation and they told me it was bad gas. They blamed the dirt in the gas was clogging the fuel filter and injectors, they also replaced the distributor assembly and spark plugs, at an additional cost of $120 to me, to attempt fix the problem. I had that tank of gas previously for 2 days and drove the car fine till I let those mentally impaired mechanics work on it. They told me to drive the remaining three quarters of the tank dry before bring it back in, otherwise they would charge me, again, to drop the fuel tank and drain it. I just spent $500 for routine maintenance that CERTIFIED honda mechanics are suppose to know how to do, and now have a car that's barely running compared to the condition when I brought the car in. I was not going to give these high school dropouts additional money to drain the fuel tank to diagnose, if it was the problem they caused. I heard them telling other people about bad gas in their cars also, it seems to be a common excuss for them to use because of their crappy work on cars.

I high DO NOT recommend taking your car to the honda dealer/service center located on waukegan rd and dempster in Morton Grove, Illinois.

I called corporate honda and they can't do much against these local honda dealer and service center, except refer you to another service center to check the car out (Additional cost if you want the new dealer to work on anything). So if it isn't broke, don't fix it, no matter what the un-qualified honda service representative tells you.

Certified honda service doesn't mean a thing
    To an independent Acura/Honda shop. It's a very clean established shop. They go "the extra mile" because they know they have to earn your business opposed to some people thinking they HAVE to take their car to the dealer.
  • dash400mdash400m Member Posts: 55
    Your problem sounds identical to the one I experienced with my '85 Civic. The problem resulted from the clutch assembly (electro-mechanical). They sometimes over heat and burn out. As a result, your compressor can't kick-in.
    Sorry, but I meant to take a shot at this problem in my last posting.

Well, this problem sounds identical to the one I experienced with my '89 Civic. This problem resulted from a bad ignition switch. Parts and labor came to $120 (three years ago). I really mean identical, because the problem was worse in hot weather, and the noise reminded me of a flooded carburetor.

What do you say Auburn63?

BTW: I'm still driving both cars. The '85 is at ~245,000 miles, and the '89 is pushing 175,000 miles.
  • auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    No I dont think your car is too old for this. The install if it is a Honda unit is pretty easy and straight forward and fits like a glove.The price is not bad either, if I didn't have air and my car was still going strong I would do it..
    I also think it is probably the main fuel relay that is causing your hard start with my secound choice being the temp sensor for the ecu.

As for the A/C if system is full then I would think either expansion valve or thermostat.But without seeing the pressures or knowing them it is hard to say.
    Geeezzz. Maybe I'm really off course (confused)with the ignition switch! Now pass me a slice of humble pie.

You're the man, and I'm going to sit down.
    I hope your happy that I hade to go back 20 and read again to figure it all out...lol... Actually the first time I completly missed your post but I still think main relay but your ignition switch would be my third guess at whats wrong. The ignition switches will usally always start in the start position but then die in the run position. Thats usally the big differance but always a possibility. Sorry for making you feel as if you had to eat pie......I hope you atleast like pie...lol..see ya
  • transitdoctransitdoc Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2001 Civic Ex Sedan Auto with 6000 miles. From the start I have experienced hesitation from a standing start and now the car has been stalling out after I run it on the highway for 20 minutes then pull off at an exit to stop. The revs drop at each stop (800 to 500) and the car shudders as if it will stall, but then the revs return to normal idle speed. I have taken it back to the dealership 4 times now and no repair has worked. Any suggestions?
  • fandofando Member Posts: 2
    My 94 Civic with 99,000 miles has a torn CV boot on the front right wheel. My mechanic says about $130 to fix it. Can I do this job myself or should I leave it to them?
    The hesitation and near-stalling problems you describe could be caused by a defective Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. These devices occasionally cause this problem due to a sticking solenoid slide. The IAC is fairly easy to replace and problems with it are likely not to be recorded by the fault-code logger in the computer. The cause could be something else but I would be sure that the technician has checked/replaced the IAC. Please let us know what you find out.
  • fandofando Member Posts: 2
    My 94 Civic with 99,000 miles has a torn CV boot on the front right wheel. My mechanic says about $130 to fix it. Can I do this job myself or should I leave it to them?
    My check engine light comes on when I make a hard left ahnd turn...Any ideas. I don't know what code it's throwing out.
    I am almost sure that there is a Service Bulletin out for your problem that involves replaceing the PCM/ECM. I will try and remember to check tomorrow but it will be thursday before I can post again unless I can sneak in a quick post at work. Call and ask you service writer to check at your Honda dealer if you want to.That is unless they have already tried that.Good luck
    Are you sure that it is not your oil light? Check engine lights usally do not flash like that but if it is then my guess would be that it is shoting out somewhere..Oil lights do that when car is low on oil or when the pick up screen starts to clog..
    It doesn't flicker. When I make the turn it comes on.
  • adavisadavis Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I have a problem that has cropped up on my 97 Civic EX. I just had the 60K service done on it and have only noticed the noise since then (about a month ago)--it may have occured before then but now I can hear it over the radio! I have noticed whenever I press the accelerator that I hear a scraping noise, almost like metallic claws, coming from under the hood somewhere. Unfortunately I haven't been able to localize the noise but it has been getting progressively louder over the past month and I'm getting worried that real damage is being done. I have an automatic transmission and it happens in all gears while I'm driving, whether on flat surfaces or especially going up a hill. I do not hear the noise while idling at a stop or if I'm coasting without accelerating--it only happens while accelerating. I noticed today that it gets much louder the harder I hit the gas so I'm starting to wonder if it has something to do with the fuel pump, intake or fuel injectors. I still have a warranty on it, but we all know how those dealerships rip you off, so I"m trying to avoid that until I have an idea of what it is. Anyone have any ideas? Please?!
    fando, if you have to ask us, you're probably not ready for that kind of job.

At that mileage, I'd have the whole CV joint replaced (maybe both) and not just the boot.

--- Bror Jace
  • bevocbsbevocbs Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input. As soon as I find time, I will have it checked to see if that takes care of.

BTW: with the A/C, I have had freon checked a couple of times and I am pretty sure the compressor has already been replaced. It didn't help. I look into the expansion valve suggestion.
  • transitdoctransitdoc Member Posts: 7
    Thank you for the posts. The ICV had already been replaced prior to the intitial posting. The dealership says the Tech line wants the dealer to check all the electrical hookups to see if any thing is loose. If that fails they will have to replace the ECM. Any other suggestions?
  • micmorenmicmoren Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Civic EX with the 5 spd. As I was driving home with the A/C on, it started making this weird noise, like when you run a piece of paper or some object against a fan. I checked it out and nothing was rubbing against the fan, as I could tell. When I turn the A/C off, the noise goes away, turn it on you can hear it,even at idle but grows louders as the RPMs go up. The A/C still works though. Any ideas what it might be? Thanks.
  • hmpowerhmpower Member Posts: 20
    I have had the same problem a couple times with My 99 Civic (and a couple other cars), the sound was very similar to what you described, and the sound drives me nuts when it happens...my problem was small leaves getting into the underhood vents and falling into the blower system for the ventilation...the holes do seem kinda big, I was thinking of getting some kind of screen material to help keep junk out...I found that just setting the fan on high for a few minutes was enough to blow whatever it was thru (I actually had a leaf blow out the center vent once when I did this) That might be all your problem is (hopefully!)
    The coolant wasn't at the correct level. I bought a book, pulled the code and found it said I had a bad emissions coolant temp sensor. There was no coolant in the reservoir bottle so I topped it off. I changed the spark plugs to bosch Platinum+4's too. It seems to be running great now.
    By the way I had to make a quick run to UAB in Alabama (false alarm on a kidney tranplant) and this car was averaging 40 mpg while running 80mph or more with A/C. Wow that's awesome for a car with 128K, well now 129K on it. Had the timing belt done last week too. That's why the coolant was low I'll bet.
    I see I'm not the only one impressed by his Civi'c mileage. In the summer here in upstate NY, I'm getting an AVERAGE of 44mpg and this is MIXED driving. A lot of high-speed highway ... but the highway includes traffic congestion which brings to a standstill sometimes.

My car? a '95 Civic Coupe DX ... with a K&N intake and DC Sports cat-back exhaust ... and over 104,000 miles on the clock.

My mileage would be even higher if I kept the original 13"x5" wheels with 175R13 tires. When I switched to a 14"x6" wheel and 185/60HR14 tire, I lost between 1-2 mpg.

--- Bror Jace

PS - Fxashun, they probably didn't COMPLETELY bleed the cooling system when the changed the belt. Did you have the waterpump changed at the same time? Keep an eye on it ... and watch what coolant you use in that thing. Hondas hate your typical coolants. They want the ones free of silicates, borates, etc ...
    That's what I filled it with. And yes they did all belts, front end seals, w/p, and adjusted the valves. I'm gonna go get some syntec for it today and she'll be ready to go.
    I believe Prestone is OK but the Honda literature does caution against the use of anything other than the Honda brand. Curiously, the Honda dealership in my area has a good service reputation .. and they use Texaco anti-freeze.
This discussion has been closed.