Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Problems with the new VW Beetle?

2»

Comments

• k273k273 Member Posts: 26
    I posted a note in July concerning my airbag light coming on outside warranty, which was obviously a problem inherent to the car and not related to use or mileage. Well, I spoke to Volkswagen Customer service and they quickly agreed to cover the cost of parts and labor for replacing the airbag control unit (the $600 microchip).

I can say I'm very satisfied with Volkswagen's after sale service. They stand by their product.

I just hope that replacing the airbag control unit will solve the problem for good, as I read that it's wiring is being replaced on another car. I will keep you posted.

As for the battery going down, my car would often require an extra turn of the ignition key to start up - and it's an easy 2.0L gas - until one day when it wouldn't start at all. This is when they found the original battery to be dead and replaced it (well under warranty). I haven't had any problems since and my worries the the car was leaking power turned out to be unfounded.
  • jamiegirl2jamiegirl2 Member Posts: 1
    Wow ...you guys are scaring me....I was thinking of buying one of these cars...but with all these problems I dont know if its a good idea : /
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    Actually, this is one of the quieter topics in this conference!

Please understand that since this is our Maintenance and Repair Conference, it is only natural that a topic here would be focused only on problems.

Have you visited our Hatchback conference? Check out this link to one of the topics there for a more balanced perspective:

New Beetle News (Topic #179)

Good luck!

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • mdrewmdrew Member Posts: 32
    Reading the last 20 or so posts of "New Beetle News" before coming here, it's as packed with serious problems as this topic. I was interested in the Beetle--liked the unique looks--but was scared off in part by the many horror stories reported in these forums (that was six months ago).
  • gozing2gozing2 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I were agreed on buying VW Bug yesterday after driving several. We decided on the TDI. Dealers did not, however, have in stock the color and interior and automatic options we want. While they are looking we read these "showstopping" complaints. Easy to see owners love the NB looks, feel and drive but hate the reliability and service that is part of the package. My question is does the TDI lose its oil just like the other VW NB motors seem to have a shared propensity to do? Need to know before the dealers call with a NB that fills our bill of particulars. No use getting high miles to the tank full of diesel fuel if one is getting low miles to the TOTAL fuel and oil bill.
    Thanks much for shared real world experiences.
  • sarah00sarah00 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2001 beetle.. and i love it, however i was wondering if i'm not the only one who thinks the car rides too low to the ground. i was pulling out of my driveway yesterday and ran over some rocks.. which i didn't think would hurt the car, but when i got out.. there were some significant scratches, a problem that probably would not have happened if the car was higher. do any other beetle-owners experience similar problems?
  • kjclowkjclow Member Posts: 29
    I bought a TDI in June. Have not had any major problems. They had to replace the horns about two weeks ago (3500 miles). They did the 5000 mile service. No comments about oil. I think that the VW soft feel plastic is crap. The pull handles on the doors were all chipped up and the pieces on the arm rest were peeling. These are being replaced under warrenty.

I would like the same answer as gozing2, is the TDI engine showing oil problems or is it just the gas engines?

As far as riding to low. I can't comment. I replaced a Ford Aerostar with the beetle. Everything seems too low.
  • littleredbuglittleredbug Member Posts: 2
    We've now had the third check of the oil-burning issue, and it was down again (it's burning about 1 qt/1000 miles). The dealer had the regional VW rep in, and they've agreed to replace the engine under warranty. The cause of the oil-burning is a "secret", but they say they've figured out the issue and we shouldn't have a problem with a new engine. The engine's been on order for the last three weeks, so we'll just keep checking the oil until it arrives. On an unrelated good news side, we're now getting much better mileage than we did for the first 10M miles ... 400 mostly highway miles on a tank! Maybe the oil's getting used for fuel :)
  • gasbeargasbear Member Posts: 1
    this weekend my son was driving down the road and the oil light went on. We drove out to where he was and put in two quarts of oil. It is interesting to read the letters reguarding this problem.
    However, a day later my son decided to see which would win a telephone pole or the beetle. Neigher one did too well. I don't think I am going to need to worry about the oil level in that car. Neither one of the passengers were hurt. That does say something about the VW BEETLE
  • emersongsemersongs Member Posts: 25
    Has anyone experienced a weird humming sound periodically upon acceleration? It sounds a little like a soft alto sax. No kidding!
  • chrismarchrismar Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2001 CyberGreen NB GLX 1.8T and its been a blast to drive! I have never been happier! I had a 98 Dodge Neon before so this is a big difference :)
    I don't have any electrical problems, no problems with the sunroof(noise is to be expected when you open it all the way),the car has the power I want-it accelerates pretty fast,ummm tires are fine, ummm the paint looks good ahhhh I can't think of anything else.
    The only complaint I have is have is having to get out of the car :) Oh and people stop me everyday and ask me about my car when I'm in a rush :) hehehe j/k I love that!!

Emersongs: I have that humming noise too when I accelerate! Someone told me it does that when it changes gears??! I don't know if thats true or not.

Sorry that you guys and gals are having problems with your bugs :( Take care all!
    ChrisMar
    2001 CyberGreen NB GLX 1.8T
  • castycasty Member Posts: 7
    This happenned to me so I called the dealer who gave the code over the phone
  • dcpaskedcpaske Member Posts: 1
    Well, where do I begin? I have a 1999 New Beetle and have come to hate it over the 2 years I have owned it. The most recent was the burning out of both of my low-beam headlamps at the same time. I tried to change them myself, but gave up in horror when I realized I had to disassemble the car in order to do so. I then took it to the dealer, and now cost me $85.00 to replace them!!! Most of the cost was in the labor, which I was more than willing to do, if I could have reached the headlamps myself. This last incident was the straw that broke the camel's back!!! I am now going to suggest that no one ever but a New Beetle. I know it is harsh, but I have just cause. I even called VW Customer Care, and they could have cared less. I was wanted to lodge a complaint, and the woman acted as if I was crazy for wanting to. I will now list all the problems I have had since inception of the 1999 New Beetle:

1. Window came off track the first night.
    2. Taillight was leaking, needed to be replaced.
    3. Silver Emergency Brake button came off.
    4. 5-Speed plate came off of gear shifter.(twice)
    5. Oxygen sensor blew out, needed replacement.
    6. Euro-Directional signal came off.
    7. Window switch had to be replaced 2 times.
    8. Passenger side door lock switch cracked.
    9. Stereo wires shorted stereo.
    10. Oil plug fell out. (This was probably the dealership's fault.)
    11. Both low-beam headlamps blew at same time, costing me $85.00

That is all I can think of without my records in front of me. This has all been within 2 years. I have expired my warranty. I can honestly say, I will never own another New Beetle, or a VW ever again. I am too afraid of what the next problem will be, and how much it costs me.
    If you have experienced any of the horrors that I have, I know your pain. Thanks for letting me vent, and proclaim my opinions of the car. I love the car, just not the many problems I have had.
  • tpachastpachas Member Posts: 1
    My NB is a 00 TDI. 5K. 4 problems. Gas flap broke 1stx it was used, pwr pass wouldn't go up automatically, under engine plastic housing dragged for several 1000 miles, & torsion bar on front pass side came loose. Dealer fixed everything but stated no replacement for plastic housing. Service was above average. no for the best part, the TDI. This is the best engine I have ever had. 33-40 mpg (hwy speeds usually average 80mph w/a-c on! No oil leaks yet. However there is a lot of clatter at cold engine start(5 seconds worth), then everything sounds normal. This is really a great car, but I'm sure others could have problems as with any vehicle. I feel I'm getting more than my monies worth. I am concerned w/reports of HIGH maint. costs. However I w/probably only keep vehicle for 3 years & then go for another VW. This is my 1st VW. It really is a great car & the engine is its best feature.
  • axle32axle32 Member Posts: 3
    i have a y2k nb and i have owned it a month after waiting since i saw concept 1 in jan 94 automoblie mag with seinfeld checking it out and now that i thought my dream was coming true, i now have a window i have to manhandle to get to roll up. i hear a clicking noise when the switch is held up like a breaker in the door is kicking, ever since day 1 it has had a weird thing happening with the window . i sure as hell feel like trading the thing off now before the word gets out that the new beetle just like the old beetle is looking like it is going to be a damned headache from hell.

of course my old beetle , the first one was only $10 bucks, an old fixer-upper
  • brucejanbrucejan Member Posts: 2
    Hey Ya'll, In response to tpachas, I have a good car. Only one problem in 8k. The air bag light came on. Took them 15 min. to fix. My car was a program car & I bought it w/4700mi on the speedo. I get 30-35 mpg in the country. Just north of New Orleans. It's metallic blue & auto. I only drive it once a week when my wife has to take the other car(95 Windstar) Booooo. We love it . We are driving the NB to California this Xmas. Probably will get 40-45mpg. Can't wait. Oh did I mention that I am 62 & my wife is 60. I have arthritis thru-out my body & I still love this car. I find it roomy & comfortable.
    Later, from North of the Lake. brucejan
  • dmhojdmhoj Member Posts: 2
    I am glad to have found this website, so I can feel the pain of the other new beetle owners, and warn potential owners as well. Since I've had my car, driving has been hell, and I am completely embarrassed to have such an "automobile". Volkswagen's customer service is for the birds. I will list all of the problems I have had with the car after I vent for a little while. You know what, I wont even do that, I will just list them and tell you that Volkswagen has done NOTHING to rectify this situation.Thank You.

1) Rear Defogger Broken
    2) Driver's side external mirror control knob broken
    3) Passenger window switch TWICE
    4) Auxiliary power outlet inoperable
    5) Tape player replaced
    6) Both vanity mirror lights under sunvisors not working
    7) Engine control module replaced
    8) Replaced heated oxygen sensor TWICE
    9) Replaced mass airflow sensor
    10) Temperature control switch broken
    11) Emergency brake button cover
    12) Plate on gearshifter broken off
    13) Both headlights needed replacing within one week of each other
    14) Passenger window motor had to be replaced
    15) Glove box door broken ($367.00 Repair)
    16) This car has mysteriously stalled while cruising on the HIGHWAY
    17) This car knocks like crazy, I use high octane gas
    18) The oil is always low

P.S. I'm sure there are some other problems, however I am going by memory. Please if you ever thought of getting one of these cars, please just think again, I would not wish this on anyone except my mother in law.
  • dmhojdmhoj Member Posts: 2
    Just to add, my car is a 1999, 2.0 liter, 5 - spd.
    Thanks.
  • kylie1kylie1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 GLS White NB with Black and grey interior. A few months ago I noticed yellow spots on the headliner near the rearview mirror. At first I thought I must have spilled something on it, how I would have spilled somthing on the roof is beyond me, but I couldn't think of anything else. Since then I've started to notice these stain like spots in various places on the headliner. The headliner is light grey and I starting to think that the spots are the glue that is used to keep it from falling down. Of course I'm just guessing here. Has anyone else heard or or experienced this problem? I haven't contacted the dealership about it, but I plan to when I go for my next service.
    Other than that my NB has been problem free since I bought it in April of 99'.
  • tummer70tummer70 Member Posts: 1
    after reading this forum on the oil issues, I went out and checked my oil. It was not even touching the dipstick. i leveled it off and now have to check my oil at every gas stop. what a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. I thought German engineering was some of the best... hmmm... also the engine check light, the coolant light had to be fixed due to a bad computer chip.. the window also jammed and that was replaced under warranty... i cant wait to see whats next... PS. i will be purchasing the extended warranty.. ha ha... I really have to laugh because the whole repair deal is getting ridiculous... good luck fellow beetle owners,.. see ya
  • bucki1bucki1 Member Posts: 2
    You need to report this to you dealer and show them that the oil was down. I was told that if does not regester on the dip stick that there is probably still 2 to 3 quarts remaining. What am I a mind reader!! Anyway, they have been doing oil consumption tests on my car and they say they are sending it to VW HQ. At one point, they told me that if this in fact is a problem, VW would offer me $2500 towards the purchase of a new vw car or they would replace the entire engine. If you do this let me know what they tell you. By the way, I burn at least 2qts of oil every 5000 miles.
  • slugbug3slugbug3 Member Posts: 2
    I read with interest post # 482 in the Beetle News forum (I posted my response here because it seemed a more appropriate forum). Seems the poor individual hit a small rock and broke the oil pan. This is not the first entry I've read on this subject. Is anyone aware of any skid plates or stronger oil pans that can be got for the beetle to prevent these problems?
  • vdub98vdub98 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased one of the New Beetles in August 98. The car was fun to drive and got a lot of attention. Now at 26 months and only 16,000 miles later I can't wait for the lease to be over. I have had many if not all of the problems described and the final straw was this week when the battery exploded after a road trip of 350 miles and mysterious electrical happenings. The tow truck driver even commented on how many he has transported. The dealership I must admit has been very good, however a car at this age and mileage to have been incapacitated a sum total of over 2 weeks in a short ownership is unforgivable. This is more "shop time" than 20 years combined ownership of other makes and models. I actually was considering a new Turbo when I turned this one in, thinking this was "1st year problems". But after seeing this site I'm looking for my next Honda, Nissan or Toyota.
  • chrismarchrismar Member Posts: 18
    This is a very small percentage of NB owners(here in this forum) with problems. Have you been to newbeetle.org ? That is a pretty large amount of very Happy NB owners such as myself. I have a 2001 CyberGreen NB GLX 1.8T and I haven't had a single problem. I know other NB owners that haven't had any probs either one of my friends has a black 99 2.0 and the other is a 2000 CyberGreen 1.8T. If you look at Maintence & Repair forum you will see all kinds of cars (yes including Honda)with problems. Any car-Honda, Ford, Dodge whatever can be a headache. I know there is probably alot of brand new lemons sitting at carlots. Thats how I personally feel about it.
    Well good luck in our decision :)
  • brucejanbrucejan Member Posts: 2
    Well my air bag light came on again, after 1300 miles. Dealer said I could wait until my 10,000 oil change which will be in 1500 miles. Only put about 700 to 800 miles a month. Luv it.
    See Ya from North of the Lake.
    brucejan
  • deadbeetledeadbeetle Member Posts: 3
    Worst nightmare of my life! Good luck to those of you have horrific problems like myself. VOA will not do anything unless your car meets the EXACT letter of the Lemon Law. In brief your car needs to go in four times for the same thing or 30 days out of service. My car meets 15 days out of service and in three times for the same thing.
    Let me list the ways . . .
    1. Comfort control module on the circuit board was burned and melted which shorted the battery - this was the final straw for me leaving me stranded in a bad part of town on a Friday night.
    2. Warped door panel
    3. Drivers door was installed incorrectly causing a loud vibrating noise. Once this was fixed I was told due to the large door and the weight of it I would need to come in periodically to have it tightened.
    4. Fuel system gauge was not properly calibrated
    5. Right front turn signal replaced due to moisture build up
    6. Vibration in car when window open/cracked
    7. Window off track
    8. Rear hatch would not open from the inside
    9. Brake lights on all the time-they had to readjust the switch and replace if it happened again
    10. Drivers side window switch replaced
    11. Passenger seat lever would not not allow seat to tilt
    12. Replacement of dashboard-I was told they are faulty.
    13. When the nose of the car is parked down hill about a 6-7% grade or less it will not start. It has to be rolled to level ground then it will start. The dealer has never been able to duplicate this and therefore will not check anything out or replace anything. This happens quite often.
    14. Sluggish going from reverse to drive and vise versa
    15. When going from drive to reverse sometimes it will not go into reverse. You have to shift to park then reverse.

I have read almost all of everyones complaints and I see some definate similarities. A previous gentleman wrote that if everyone would please call VOA or write them then maybe they would start paying more attention to everyones problems. I will say that I have now gotten rid of this nightmarish car and got back into a Honda Civic and am much happier now. I sold my 1995 Civic with 44K miles and paid off to get this darn beetle - stupid me, but a mistake I will never make again! Also, due to the treatment we received at our dealer ship and VOA my boyfriend who is a 6 time VW owner will never buy VW again. I've never been treated such a lack of respect. The dealer is Roseville VW-never buy from them, never buy a VW!
  • slcvwnb1slcvwnb1 Member Posts: 1
    I can't help but feel that I must include all the heartache my new beetle has given me in the past 2 and change years. First off, I too like many of you out there am completely unsatisfied with my Beetle. Since purchasing the beetle I have had numerous electrical problems with my battery dying if the car wasn't driven for a weekend. I have had 3 new batteries in the car and finally the problem seems to have stopped. Also I find that after not starting the car for a day or two, the cars exhaust is awful, smokey and smelling of gas, I have replaced the O2 sensor, since the dealer says that it was broke but the problem still exists. I have replaced the window sensor twice and it was reprogrammed once so that's three strikes. The silver knob on the emergency brake broke off within the first year and they want $150 parts and labor to replace it. My passenger window button gets stuck and they want more money to fix that. My gas/truck levers are no longer in place in the door but I going to glue them back into place. Small but numerous paint chips all over the hood. I have noticed my oil light coming on and flashing for a couple of seconds. I get my oil changed every 5000 miles, the dealer says they can't find any leaks. I am going to repair everything by trading the car in for a new car and letting the new unlucky owners deal with the issues. Sorry I have to do that but I've tried to deal with them and they won.
  • susychsusych Member Posts: 1
    I have tried to be patient with my local VW dealer, and have tried to give them the benefit of the doubt. I am at the point now where I feel that I am "being had" by VW and the dealership, and am not sure what to do. I bought a 2000 New Beetle in Aug 1999. Starting 1st quarter 2000, my Check Engine Light would turn on, so I would take it to the VW dealer. Maybe once or twice out of the last FIVE times, they found a legitimate problem with the car (bad sensor, or loose wire). The other times they did not know what the computer code meant. (How the hell is this possible, by the way?) This morning, the Check Engine Light came on again (for the 6th time this year). I called the VW Customer Relations hotline, and the representative basically said that I needed to take the car into the dealership, but that VW would call the dealership to make sure that they were doing everything they were supposed to in order to fix the problem... In other words, VW will baby-sit the dealership to make sure they are doing their jobs!!! My question is, is my car a lemon if I have brought it into the dealership for the same problem SIX times? I know the Lemon Law says 4 times, but the Check Engine Light represents multiple parts of the car, and all six incidents may have not been the same car part.
  • joanna2861joanna2861 Member Posts: 2
    I had problems with a new Jetta, and just want to share what got VW to help me. The customer service line will not help you- may as well skip that. Call directory assistance in Auburn Hills, MI, get the regular VW non-800# and ask for Gerd Klauss - president of VW.

If you call enough (like I did) and file a complaint with the BBB -they may listen. I finally got them to buy back my junky Jetta!!!
  • ashera1ashera1 Member Posts: 6
    We have quite a few topics on lemon laws in other conferences here in Town Hall that you might like to check out. You can get a list of them by keying lemon law into the Topic Search feature on the left side of this page.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • toferotofero Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 New Beetle GLS and have experienced many of the problems noted in other posts. The passenger window switch has failed, the window regulator's been replaced, parking brake sensor busted, mirror adjust switch broken off, etc. But the engine runs very well. The only hard-core systems issue I've encountered is a drained out, corroded battery (at 24,000 miles!). Most of the problems started appearing between 15,000 and 20,000 miles, I'm afraid. So beware. Maybe there was a bad lot in MY1999. Or maybe peripheral engineering is bad. Either way, I'm glad I got the extended warrantee. Good luck!
  • ihatemy98bug2ihatemy98bug2 Member Posts: 1
    ive had mY new beetle for two horribly aggravating years....i came on here to tell as many people as i can....and find out prices on different cars..as its gotten to the point that i dont even want to drive it to the mailbox...and its only taken me this long because i wanted the car to run out of things that could go wrong hopeing i could keep it....id just like to add the warrenty and service department have only added to my pain..here is my list of problems..dont know the technical ways to put it and am only going by memory..where i am sure to leave out some things...
    1) headlights burnt out
    2)(both) windows broke and wouldnt go up 3 times
    3) dashboard bubbled
    4)inside door panels peeled
    5) engine wouldnt start had to be towed
    6) glove box NEVER shut and was taken to be repaired about 5 times
    7) alarm constantly not working..going off..not going on..not letting my car start
    8) automatic locks in cahoots with the alarm...not letting me in or out at times
    9)brakes gringing together...fixed twice..one time soon after leaving dealership ..my tire went flat ...after both being "fixed" it made a rattling sound when i drove
    10) its always been a jerky drive most of the time.
    11)one time they said the air filter needed to be replaced ..didnt change it a bit
    12) driver seat needed to be replaced..wouldnt move..said it was off the track..HOW!!??
    13)power steering leak
    14) rubber lining aroud doors peeled off

OH!!! and right now my alarm is going off!! gotta go...
    over 1000$$ spent despite my warrenty on my 2 year old new beetle
  • muziklovermuziklover Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2001 CyberGreen New Beetle GLS in Aug. 2000. I LOVE MY CAR, but, I'm starting to see a few things that are worrying me and that's why I came here. My transmission is automatic and the silver button started to stick into the handle not allowing me to even get my key out of the ignition when I turned it off. VW replaced it but it doesn't work the same as the original one. VW says it's still ok. Also, I'm VERY concerned about the way the car 'jerks' into gear and how sometimes it hesitates when I take my foot off the brake to move forward in the 'drive' position. Also, the gas mileage STINKS! Plus, now I've read that I should be concerned about the oil consumption. Oh my gosh...what have I gotten myself into????????? Can anyone relate to these problems and can anyone give me some helpful hints? PLEASE E-MAIL ME WITH ANYTHING YOU FEEL WOULD BE HELPFUL!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~Starting to get "freaked out"!
  • rmarchantrmarchant Member Posts: 5
    Hey guys are you still out there? Forget the president of VW. Once you go over that 24K miles you are treated amazingly different. I wrote the president and got a letter back saying we stand behind our warranty. I called the home office and spoke with a very rude "empowered associate" who did the same. See "new beetle woes" for descriptions of the problems... did anyone finally get any action?
This discussion has been closed.