Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercury Sable Problems

Comments

• chili5chili5 Member Posts: 2
    I don't think its a Vulcan engine. Its a GS.

So I took it to the Merc dealer and they charged about $150 to fix a ground and flush the cooling system. They said it was not related. Driving home- same thing happened. Radio, windows, power steering died. They have it again and said they need to bring in an eletrician to see what's going on. We'll see. Thanks for the info.
    C
  • gnash2gnash2 Member Posts: 1
    I have often heard service writers at dealerships tell customers that they need fuel injectors cleaned at Additional $. This is usually a way of putting more $ in dalers pocket and is not a rec. or needed maintenance as most fuel sold contains a cleaner already in it. Just replace the fuel filter as recomended by ford in their maintenance schedule. Hope this answers your question.
  • moparitemoparite Member Posts: 1
    On my 1996 Taurus L, I smelled foul coolant odors. I inquired of a dealer as to how to change the coolant--the Service Writer looked up my IN number and found a Recall for this particular situation. That was in 1998, I'm not sure if it still applies, but if it wasn't done, it should be.
    Also had Power steering, radio and windows go away when the car was in gear. Back when placed in neutral. There was a particular control module that needed replacing and everything was fine. A partial reimbursement was the only value I ever received from my extended service contract. Also occasionally have the door unlocking/door ajar syndrome. Usually goes away fairly quickly. Decent car for the most part.
    Am looking at 2000 Taurus SE and Sable LS program cars. You would think FORD Motor employees would insist on getting problems worked out and that they should be decent vehicles.
  • skipper10skipper10 Member Posts: 5
    This engine has the same head gasket problems as the 1994 and up...My son just had his 1993 3.8 head gasket blow...answer is yes they do blow, but Ford has chosen not to cover this year under warantee..result, my son out $2500 AND HAS GOTTEN RID OF THIS CAR, now drives a Subaru....never again for a Sable.
  • fordfamily1fordfamily1 Member Posts: 1
    Help! After total of five visits to two dealerships and regional rep. have been told "defect" now described by Ford as "normal characteristic of the transmission" cannot be repaired. Car jumps apprx. 6-10 inches(while in park) occasionally when started. Have hit two parked cars and numerous curbs and concrete parking stops. Have been instructed by Ford to use my parking brake at all times. My local mechanic says this is ridiculous. Have read other reports on NHSTA.gov. Anyone else out there?
  • harmarharmar Member Posts: 94
    Consumer Reports, I believe, has reported on similar problems, but I can't recall when.

Take a look at www.lemonaidcars.com for suggestions on how to deal with FoMoCo, and for info on how prevalent your condition might be.

After reading many months ago of this possibility, I ALWAYS engage the parking brake when shutting down and NEVER disengage it until after the car has been started. (I have a '99 GS which has never shown the proclivity to lurch, but why tempt fate?)

Good luck!
  • slzslz Member Posts: 10
    We have a 2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium Wagon which we received delivery of in December 2000. From day #1 we have smelled gasoline/engine exhaust fumes when the car is parked. The car has been in to the dealer 3 times: 1st time they said it was a faulty gas cap, the 2nd time they replaced a valve on the purge canister, and the 3rd time they couldn't find a specific problem but tightened up the intake manifold and all the hoses etc... Of course, the car still smells. They supposedly spoke with the regional service manager who states that Ford knows of this problem which does occur with some of the 2001 Sables. It is supposedly a problem with the intake manifold and some gaskets which they said, when replaced, would fix the problem. I have refused and stated that I want a new car. Still waiting....
    Our wagon also lurches forward when started but we haven't hit anything yet! I mentioned this to the dealer and they stated it was "normal" give in the transmission.
    The cherry on the proverbial "sundae" is that the left blinker is not working! Makes you feel great about purchasing a Ford/Mercury car, doesn't it?!!
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    If something breaks in my 2000 Sable wagon I'd go to my mechanic for a consultation,and if he tells me to go to the dealer that is what I do but with an idea about the problem. So I can discuss it with the dealer service dept.
    I'd want the svce dept to know that I'm not totally ignorant so they won't tell me is a normal condition, to engage the manual brake or
    some other nonsense.

I do not trust Ford or its dealers or any dealer service for that matter.
  • hhuahhua Member Posts: 16
    We have a 92' Lincoln Continental 3.8L. It also has gas smell problem especially during the engine and the weather get warmer, and the gas tank getting lower. We think the problem with the return gas being heated up, build up too much pressure in the tank, and being released through the cannister, and sometime we can hear the pressure released through the gas tank pressure release valve hose near the gas filter.

We too tried but failed with a new gas cap, gas pump and filter were replaced recently, also tried to by passed the cannister purge valve ( by connect the hose directly to the intake manifold line).

It seems to help if we keep the gas tank near full, and the problem is less noticeable in the winter. We have been trying to keep the tank fill up more often.

Please let us know if you know the cure for your problem, if there is any. Thanks!
  • mercmommercmom Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 99 Sable back in late March of last year. It was a rental car originally. Our problem is this... When you apply the brakes at any speed the steering wheel shimmies like crazy. It's in the shop today for it's 3rd rotor change in a year. (The car has only 28K miles and otherwise has no troubles.) After these rotor changes the car does fine for about a week or so and then it starts doing it again, on a small scale and then it gets progressively worse until we finally have to take it in for them to change them. I would like to know why they are needing changed so frequently! Is this a "normal" thing for Mercs with ABS? Does the ABS inflame the problem? Our dealer is satisfied replacing the rotors when we complain about the trouble and we are covered under the warranty for now, but I feel they are ignoring a real problem and only putting a band-aid on it. Can anyone out there shed some light on this subject. I would much appreciate it! Thanks
    1) At least one Service Bulletin addressed '99 Merc brake vibrations and pad materials. Has your dealer checked old Bulletins? 2) If the rental company that had your car did its own servicing, what do its records show about the problem? Did it repair/replace anything? 3) Ask your dealer to give you a printout of its computerized data base on the repairs to your car. You might be surprised. 4) NHTSA has a Web site where you can check on Service Bulletins. 5) After a certain number of repairs, lemon laws come into play. You may be legally entitled to something more than repeated fixes that do not solve the problem. Look at this Web site for possible info/suggestions: www.lemonaidcars.com. If I recall correctly, it has a link to the NHTSA site. 6) Peace of mind driving your car is worth a fortune. Keep complaining. Good luck!
    Ford states that replacing the gaskets in/under/around (???) the intake manifold will fix the problem. I have no idea if the 92 Lincoln Continental has a similar problem. I guess your dealer might know - it doesn't hurt to ask.

As for my problem - Ford has basically refused to replace the car so I am left with no choice but to let them attempt a repair one more time. That will be the 4th repair. If the problem is not resolved then I plan on taking them to court under the New York State Lemon Law to get my money back.

Besides the gas smell and the broken blinker on my brand new car - the back rear seatbelt will not retract. Yet another problem!

One thing is for sure - I will NEVER EVER buy a Ford/Mercury product again for as long as I live! If you are reading this and are considering a Ford/Mercury product, you should buy a Japanese car (Honda, Toyota, etc...) I have had 3 Honda Accords and have NEVER had one problem with any of them - EVER. I truly regret buying the Sable.
  • sedwards3sedwards3 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 93 sable in November of 98. In July 99 the transmission and motor went out. I started doing research on this vehicle and low and behold, it seems everyone else has the same problem. I have contacted Ford numerous times but they will not help with this at all. I have hired an attorney and she is in the process of suing them, big time. I am a single parent of two kids who works two jobs and my car that I am still making notes on and paying insurance on sits in the driveway. I have heard so many lies from Ford. Recently I found out that they have known about the 3.8 liter problem and trans problems and went publicly with it in March of 98. I complained to them the first time in July of 99. Of course they claim they have no idea what I am talking about so my attorney is taking care of the problem. Good luck to all with the same problem.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sorry to hear about the breakdown on your car!

I'm not sure what your attorney is planning on a 5 year old used car, though. Maybe a scare letter, but I don't really understand who you can sue and for what? It's not easy suing a big automaker for defects in a 1993 car, seven years after manufacture.

I don't mean to be pessimistic, and Ido hope you get some kind of help, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high if I were you.
    Hope that you problem will resolve as your wish?

You metioned "Ford states that replacing the gaskets in/under/around (???) the intake manifold will fix the problem" will fix the gas smell. It would nice to know exactly what gaskets Ford is talking about.

I haven't a chance talk to Licoln about my problem, fear of high cost and not sure problem will cure either.
  • e_sablee_sable Member Posts: 6
    I no longer have to smell gas fumes. I took my car to Warner Robins Ford in Warner Robins, Georgia and they fixed my problem. They replaced the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets on my
    Sable and that fixed it. They told me the gaskets get soaked with gas and this is what causes the fumes. So slz if you'll take your car to the Ford service dept. they will correct the problem. I am so excited with this car now and am glad it is fixed.
  • greg32greg32 Member Posts: 48
    Do they have to replace the gaskets periodically or did they put in gaskets that don't soak up gas? I have the same gas fume problem that occurs on warm days usually.

Thanks for the info.
    Our Lincoln (3.8 L) has the engine rebuilt not too long ago, the gaskets were replaced. We noticed the gas smell before and after the rebuild. The gas smell is more noticeable when the engine is totally warmed up, and the engine is shutdown. Not 100% percent sure of the manifold gaskets are our problem, but will check on them when I have a chance.

E_sable thanks for provided specific fix information on your problem.
    The Ford service dept didn't say whether it
    would be a permanent fix or temporary, nor did they say if the gaskets were fuel proof. I figured that the repair would be a permanent fix.
    My problem was a constant smell of gas fumes. It
    is such a relief not to have to smell the fumes
    anymore.
    While listening to the radio program "American on the Road" (AOTR) aired last Sunday (locally in MI), a caller asked about his having to have the front rotors on a late model Thunderbird turned, re-turned, re-re-turned, etc. The AOTR host said these rotors meet Ford's and fed specs, but are still so small, for the car's size, that they tend to overheat under even normal braking conditions, warp, need turned and, eventually, replaced. The host said he knows of no cure for the problem short of installing bigger parts (the whole system). Assuming that is a true scenario (and it does sound reasonable), perhaps Sables suffer from the same ailment? The host said that some people have tried using different lining materials, but doing so has not solved the problem. If I remember correctly, the Service Bulletin I saw did refer to vibrations and materials. It would be worth asking your dealer to investigate. Best wishes.
    This category/classification used to appear when "Sable" was typed into the search window. No longer. Why? "Problems" and their solutions are my primary reason for using this board. Thanks.
    I will type in the technical service bulletin word for word that my dealer printed out for me from Ford:

"*Technical Service Bulletin 01-04-03

Fuel, Climate Control, Engine, - Fuel Odor - Fuel smell from passenger compartment through vents - vehicles equipped with 3.0L 4-valve Duratec engine only - updated lower intake manifold gaskets: if fuel odor condition is verified and no fuel leaks are found, replace the lower intake gaskets."

They did this for me and so far, so good. It was disappointing that I had to threaten them with a law suit before they realized the problem and fixed it. I truly hope this is a permanent fix. I'll have no recourse if a few years down the road these gaskets give out again. My wife and I like the car in all respects - it is too bad we now have this bad taste in our mouths about Ford/Mercury products. Despite all of my complaining to Ford - I have yet to receive a follow-up call from Ford or my dealer to see if the problem is resolved. I did just get a new Acura and have received 3 phone calls and 5 letters from Acura despite the fact that I have had not one complaint. I guess you get what you pay for....
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I tried "Sable" in the search and it worked fine for me....this discussion came right up. Try again and let me know...

Mr. Shiftright
    Host
    It worked fine for me, too, today. But for two days prior that I'd tried, nada. Perhaps Sable "gremlins" had infected it or my system? Thanks, anyhow. Nice to know you/Edmund's listen.
  • tammycampbell8tammycampbell8 Member Posts: 17
    One thing I have learned through my mess with my taurus, that if you are respectful when telling them your problem, they really help. In my case Ford Motor Co helped me. Most of my bad luck was the Dealer that had been repairing my car. It was not Ford's fault, but Ford did work out the problem with us, and paid for the car to be taken to another dealer, where Ford Motor Co, and that dealer treated me like a QUEEN.
    Sometimes you have to take it out of the hands of the dealer, and go directly to FORD themselfs. Unforunately there aren't to many good dealers out there, but I know I found a bad one in Oklahoma.
    My situation I took it directly out of the hands of the Bad Dealer and when to FORD on my problem. As it turned out, either this bad dealers mechanics was un experienced or it was simply intentional. My case in OKlahoma left me where there was no Lemmon law to protect us consumers from dealers like the one I encountered.
    My stop lamps came on and wouldn't go off and the cruise control went out. I've also had intermittant gas smell on start up during warm weather. Fortunately, all were fixed by the dealer under warenty. There is a recall on the brake switch causing my stop lamp and cruise control problem. The intermittant gas smell problem is also documented by Ford. Its the gaskets for the intake manifold that need to be replaced and sealed.

Otherwise, it's been a good car so far. Smooth, quiet, decent gas milage. 2000 Sable LS Premium wagon with 12500 miles.
  • prestoneprestone Member Posts: 13
    Hi all,

Just received a safety recall notice (01S08) today in the mail from Mercury. It deals with both 2000 & 2001 Sables and Taurus's that have the power adjustable pedals.

"Grease used on the adjustable pedal assembly may enter the brake lamp switch and contaminate the contacts. This may cause one or more of the following symptoms to occur:
    -Brake lights stay illuminated or are inoperative.
    -Shift Interlock disabled (will be able to shift out of "Park" position without depressing the brakes.
    -Speed Control will not activate.
    -Cannot shift the vehicle out of "Park."
    -ABS Warning light illuminates on vehicles with ABS
    -Battery Discharged"

The recall stated to call the dealer for an appointment without delay. I called ahead and the parts department did not have the parts in stock as they had not yet received notification from Ford. The Parts Manager stated that he should have parts within 3-4 business days.

Thought all you 2000 & 2001 Sable & Taurus owners with adjustable pedals should know about this safety recall.
    Yet another problem to worry about with my brand new car!!! I won't be repurchasing any Ford/Mercury products anytime soon.
  • drstevenjdrstevenj Member Posts: 9
    The dealer will have the parts in next week-- they expect the service will take minimum 3-4 hours! --
    i was shocked, told them i will bring my sleeping bag, some dried food, and a sterno stove-- in case they have underestimated the time needed to perform the service--

The dealer said not to give him hard time (he knows me by now)-- told him he asked for it-- calling it a Mercury-- said they shoulda called it like a Pluto Sable-- then i would expect service to be slow--

he said 'not funny, doc', so i said at least went with Pluto, coulda made a pun with Uranus... he said, 'now tell me again, why did you decide not to buy another Volvo?' Told him Volvos just weren't funny ....

i do like my Sable so far, but sure seems like there is a long time needed for service--
    I had the safety recall done and the intake gaskets replaced and sealed within one day. The actual work I think took about 3 hours based on phone calls I made to them during the day. The dealer also has a shuttle service that took me to work in the morning and picked me up in the afternoon. All in all a pretty good experience. The dealer was King Lincoln-Mercury in Gaithersburg, MD. Not all service departments are bad.

Good luck.
    Yesterday March 22 I received my recall notice from Ford. Today I went to a Ford svce dept near my job, and they told me that they hadn't received anything from the factory about the recall. To call in two weeks. But excuse me this is a safety recall I replied. The svce advisor goes back inside for the second time and tells me to call back next Thursday.

So now my choices are: (a)call another Ford, Lincoln/ Mercury
    svce dept or (b) Ford directly. Why are sending recall
    notifications if they didn't inform some dealers
    and/or they didn't yet ship parts?

Should've bought some other brand of car.
  • ljdljd Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to add to harmar's message #172.

I recently traded in a 1994 Mercury Cougar that I had purchased new. That generation of Cougars and T-Birds (the last of the rear drive ones) were notorious for front brake rotor warping! Mine were defective from the factory, and for the first several years, I had to get the front rotors turned (machined) every 8,000. That of course, led to more frequent replacement. When the "Anniversary" editions came out in 1997 (to mark the demise of the RWD Cougar and T-Bird) they offered 16" wheels, and LARGER FRONT BRAKE ROTORS. Unfortunately, these larger rotors can't fit on a car with 15" wheels. I think V8 Cougars/T-Birds had 16" rims standard by the model's end run.

Interestingly enough, my then local L-M dealer was using a new (1997) method of machining the rotors while they were still on the car! This seemed to help, and I drove over 20,000 miles without having to deal with the rotors again. You might want to inquire about that technique.

Hopefully, my new Sable won't have these sorts of problems!
    My brother just informed me that his '94 Taurus has repeated front rotor warping. He long ago found a place that warrants its work for a time longer than it takes his to warp! Thus, he gets free service on them when they do warp. I'll find out where he gets this service and post the info. Perhaps it's a facility with national branches.
    Sorry to report that the shop doing my brother's brakes is a local gas station. The owner has almost given up turning rotors, because he finds many models suffering the same warping. Instead, he replaces the rotors, then returns them to the suppliers if/when they warp. This seems to be the way many products are going now. It's cheaper to replace, not repair, a microwave oven and use the old one as a boat anchor. Boo! Hiss!
  • shargraveshargrave Member Posts: 2
    car has just 65000 miles and it appears that the
    transmission is shot (according to a number of
    shops) .. haven't had the dealer look at it yet.
    Is Ford or Mercury helping with this problem, which I understand is a very common one? Is there a good 800 # I should calling to find out?
    Thanks!
    The only comprehensive online spot I know to suggest you look is: www.lemonaidcars.com/
    The author has tons of info, suggestions, etc. You might also try the NHTSA Web Site. Also, read prior Edmund's posts for both Sable and Taurus. Good luck!
  • ryan1234ryan1234 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had problems with the cover becoming unlatched, and snapping/spooling/rolling up? I can see that the problem is that the cargo cover, when extended, needs to be centered so the rather lame latching posts can rest with enough restraint in the holes that are availble. Somehow, like a window shade that has rolled to one side, the cover shifted, so one side is firmly connecte, and on the other side, the post barely extends into the "hole" or indentation for it. Any suggestions?
    Had warranty service do the work, the b-pillar (post betwen front & rear window)and c-pillar (behind rear door) plastic moldings inside the car were very loose. I didn't even notice until a back seat pasenger told me. The clips werent doing the job and they had to replace.
    I have this noise on my '96 LS Sedan. It only occurs in the summer, usually when the air is on, and around 60+ mph. I have assumed it has to do with thermal expansion and an unfortunate case where a resonance dependent on those particular conditions (temp./expansion and therefore spacing between two structures somewhere in the dash; and frequency based on road vib. at 60+ mph) is occurring and causing that annoying hum. Have not found a way to fix.
  • prestoneprestone Member Posts: 13
    Greetings all,

I had an appointment Monday morning (April 2nd) to have the corrective work done regarding safety recall # 01S08. I dropped my Sable off expecting the work to take several hours. Within 15 minutes of arriving at the office, I received a call from my service manager informing me that the work was complete! Needless to say, I was pleased. I only wish he'd informed me that it would only take 15 minutes to perform the correction!

Glad to have the problem corrected now. Fortunately, my Sable never exhibited any of the problems (outlined in the safety recall) before I had the corrective work carried out.

I'm still enjoying the car in spite of the two problems (incorrectly installed power steering hose and this safety recall) I've experienced in the seven months since I began the lease. Hopefully this will be it. We'll see.
  • mjdestefanomjdestefano Member Posts: 1
    To pcarroll1
    My 1996 Sable AS had the same exact problem as yours. The front windshield must be removed and re installed. Something the windshield sits on is defective. I argued for months before it was corrected. It has been fine for 4 years now. The cars runs great.
  • 427435427435 Member Posts: 86
    I've had some luck when dealing with warped brake rotors by having them turned as soon as they first show signs of warping. The castings will often take a set (warp) after they've gotten hot a few times and then not warp farther after being turned flat again. This is more likely to solve the problem then just buying new ones which will only take their own set after a few heating and cooling cycles.

However, lot's of hard braking will warp most rotors today, unfortunately, due to cheap light weight rotors. I have an old 1967 Corvette that has never needed rotors turned or replaced despite lots of hard stops from triple digit speeds.
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    If you're talking about that high pitched whistle, my dealer just ran a bead of silicone under the molding on either side of the windshield and whine/whistle gone!
    Today I took my Merc. Sable to a Linc-Merc dealer
    and had the fix done. I had made an appt. and
    today the svce dept people were expecting me. Dropped the car at 7:30 in the morning and picked it up at 1:45.

After leaving the car I had to go thorough a lot
    full of Lincs and Mercs to get to the street, and two 2001 Mountaneer SUV's were calling me. Very tempting indeed.
    Yesterday I got a call from the Linc-Merc where
    my car had the repair. They
    wanted to know in a scale of 1 to 5 how I'd rate
    my experience with the svce.dept. They later
    mentioned that I will be getting a questioneer
    from Ford regarding the service experience.

I found this call quite interesting because I purchased my Merc Sable there and had a bad
    experience (sales and service). I wrote a very
    strong letter to Ford last year and followed it up
    with a phone call. I'd like to believe that Ford
    actually handled the situation with the dealer.
    I'll never know what really happened.

While my car was getting fixed I tried to buy to
    windshield wiper inserts for front windows but the
    parts dept at the dealership said that they don't sell inserts but the wipers with inserts because
    they provide a better swipe. I'm not complaining about the cost ($21.54 I/tax) but is this true?
    Unless the tension mechanism on the arm is "gone," why would putting in only inserts not be fine? I've never changed the complete arm. Auto Zone sells inserts for around $6 each. K-Mart sometimes has the correct length for less. I change 'em twice a year and have never had a problem. If the car isn't garaged and sits in the sun, that might deteriorate 'em faster, but twice a year has worked well for me.
    No big deal really! I may've overpaid $9 between
    the inserts and the arms with the inserts. Just
    curious. The reality is that my car spends most of its time outside but the tension on the arms did not appear to change.
  • tomo66tomo66 Member Posts: 4
    My '93 Sable 3.8l is doing 12 miles/gal maximum (city driving)and 18 on the highway.
    Although, I've done tune-up and computer diagnostic, nothing have changed that. I don't know what else to do. Did anybody try different approach to correct fuel consumption?
  • drstevenjdrstevenj Member Posts: 9
    So you finish up work on a Sat evening and go out to your trusty Sable-- beautiful night-- you're the only car in a large open parking lot -- good ol' Sable fires right up (just like it did an hour ago when you drove to get a soda)-- you turn on the CD, open the moonroof, pop the emergency brake, and take the car out of Park... i said take the car out of Park... I SAID try to GET YOUR CAR OUT OF PARK...
    So you turn it off, figure musta been something with the ignition lock or just a temporary case of 'bad carma' (sorry)-- so you go through the steps again-- fires right up, CD is on, moonroof open, seatbelt on, and take the car out of .... grrrr... out of.... grrrrrr... out of--
    so you slowly come to the conclusion you are stuck in Park--

So the question is: do you know what was wrong? The answer is important, because it could happen to you--

I'll share part of my answer that night-- but there is a much better one-- My answer involved calling Ford Roadside assistance from my car-- the person had never heard of the problem-- i asked him to go through the archives-- he did, and said there was no information on such a problem, and the best he could do was send a tow truck to have my car towed to the dealer-- althought the towtruck driver turned out to be a good guy, and kept me company while i waited at the dealership for an hour for a taxi ($40) to take me to the airport to get a rental car ($150) until Monday when the car could be looked at--

My question is: what disabled the Sable? I will give the correct diagnosis and treatment later--
This discussion has been closed.