Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Zaino Car Care Experiences

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    No I have never done it. However you might want to go to the Infiniti dealership in question and take a look at the cars that have just come out of their detailing shop!!
  • factfinderfactfinder Member Posts: 103
    Do they look pretty ragged?
    I am thinking that it is pretty shop specific. It is bad enough if you have some swirl or spider marks only to pay real money to get even more!!!! This is not to say whatever shop/s you are considering is/are bad/medium/fair to middlin/good. It is truly a buyer beware type of environment out there. Again the additional difficulty is black shows EVERYTHING.
    I used scratch out by hand to knock down most swirls and scratches. I wrapped a micro-fiber towel around a sanding block, applied the scratch out to the towel and applied firm straight pressure to the finish. It was alot of sweating, but it worked. Then I washed with dawn, z-6ed to remove water spots, and then z-5ed it. WOW! 5 coats on black it sweet!
    Way cool!! How do you like the new improved versions of Z2 etc? I know the scratch out must have been exacting and taken most of the time to get the scratches and swirls out!! I bet it looks killer!!
    Yeah, it took some time & sweat to use scratch out, but it worked reasonably well. I haven't tried the new Z2 or any Z2 for that matter. Since I have Black, I need Z5 to hide imperfections. Once I have about 20 coats of Z5 applied, I guess I will try Z2 to top it off. I am going to order Z8 as well. Fortunately for me, I don't drive this car everyday or in the rain and it is garaged. This makes keeping a black car up much easier.
    Actually with a coat or two of Z5, moving onto Z2 is (optically) a good way to go.

I called Sal Zaino for this trick. (at that time he actually used to answer his own phone. He might still answer his own phone!) Between every 5 coats of Z2 do a Z1 base/undercoat and it "sticks" better.

Before the new hardener mix, this used to be the way to go. I have read the new hardener mix (I haven't used this but still use the Z1) is supposed to be even more durable.

Frankly I have used Z1 twice? in that I have between 7/8?, Z5/Z2 coats on a 2001 Corvette Z06, bought new and now has 73,000 miles. So one Z1 coat was used NEW just after using Dawn and 1 coat of Z5 and 3 coats of Z2 were applied when new. Then I put on Z1 again and put 3/4 since then? I do not wash this car much and keep it clean between rides by using a CA duster.

On a different note, I also use Zaino on 4 other daily drivers and I never fail to have car folks comment on their appearance. This is especially cool on one 11 year old and one 13 year old car, both have been parked outside 24/7 for more than half their lives.
    Thanks. I'll hit is with a couple of coats of Z2 to see the results. And I agree, there is nothing like a great looking ride when it gets to be older.

BTW, how do you post pictures? I'd love to show some pics
    Update: I hit it with 2 coats of Z2 and all I can say is WOW! This is the deepest, wetest & most 3 dimensional look I have ever seen. It seems that with every coat the finish gets deeper and hides more imperfections. I will hit it with 3 more coats of Z2 and then a few more Z5 coats and then Z2 again. This stuff is addictive.
    And WAY off topic: it has a nice smell! :)
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    That's not off topic at all! I absolutely LOVE the smell of Z6. I think it's part of Sal's master plan to draw us all in ;-)
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    A good smelling Zaino product is not a fluke. Sal takes product fragrances very seriously. He knows his customers are always interested in what new fragrance he adds to his products.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    I agree with the addictive sentiment. I'll wash my Abyss Blue '05 TL and then Z6 for the quick shine. And think I'm done. But, every time I think, well I've Z6, I might as well do a Z2. And I always seem to mix a bit too much, so another Z2. Like yesterday, for example! Since May I've applied two Z5 and four Z2! Probably would be more, but New England has been doing its Seattle impersonation since spring began. Somebody stop me!

Lookin' good. :shades:

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Waxed with Z5 this weekend and it was great. Is it just me or is this the easiest product to remove. One wipe and it's gone!!!! Love it!!
    Z2 is a breeze to remove, but Z5 seems harder to remove. Do I have a bad mix or something?
    I'm in a similar situation with a dark colored car. I have black so Z5 is crucial to hiding the swirls. It's amazing. I Z5ed the rear quarter panel with 5 coats and then pulled the car out into the sun. The swirls were all but gone and I could compared the results to an un-Zed section. The proof was so obvious. This is the kind of stuff that I have been looking for.
    Now, throw on some Z6 followed by Z2 and you'll fall even deeper in love...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• dboedboe Member Posts: 69
    You have to love this forum. On the 'other' one they just discuss brand A vs. B vs. C vs. X, etc. etc.

...here folks just discuss how nice their zainoed vehicles look and how to keep them that way. :)
    Just finished my 10th coat of a Z5 & Z2 combination. It's electrifying!
  • londinelondine Member Posts: 32
    Getting a new-ish car tomorrow. Want to Zaino, from Dawn to Z2. Is it okay to do so in hot weather -- mid to high 90's?? Or should I wait for a break in the weather?

Thanks!
    Check out Zaino's website for info. I know Sal recommends consistent temps above 60f and I think a cool surface is desireable when washing/zaino. I'm not sure about hot temps, though. Sorry...

Great stuff. My Abyss Blue TL is just mirror/glass like!

• automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    I see that there is a new finishing spritz - Z8. Anyone try it? How does it compare to Z6 in use and finish?

It's hard to imagine our cars could look any better!
    Very nice! How do you post pics??? THNXS!
    You must first have a site that can "host" your pictures for access, and then you use the "img" button to insert the URL of your pictures.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Yes, I have used the Z8. I would say it's not a replacement for Z6 as much as it is complimentary. I detailed my GTO before taking it to the GTOAA Nationals back in July - put about 10 coats of Zaino (6 Z-5 Pro and 4 Z-2 Pro) on it. Switched to using the Z8 in between/after coats when I went to the Z-2 Pro. I must have done alright with it, because my car won the popular vote for stock 2004 GTO's:

I wouldn't use it after every wash, just for those special events like car shows, et. al.

Hope this helps,

--Robert
    Robert:

Wow. Beautiful...

Bill

• paulcudlippaulcudlip Member Posts: 33
    I think Zaino products are great. I only wish Zaino would be like all other major companies and accept Visa and Master Charge for purchases. The turnaround time would definitely be an advantage for Zaino as well as the customer!
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,241
    It's just as easy and quick to use PayPal and have it charged to your credit card of choice.
  • robert52robert52 Member Posts: 27
    Just discovered this forum and the Zaino website. I am an admitted car cleaning addict and could probably use the help of a 12 step program. I "wax" my cars frequently and recently have been using a new Turtle Wax product called Ice. I have literally tried every over the counter car wax/polish product on the market and am always looking for the latest and greatest that will give me that ultimate shine. I have read alot of the posts on here and am having difficulty determing exactly what to expect and what products I actually need. I currently have a black 06 Avalon and a recently purchased silver 03 Pathfinder that I would guess has never been waxed. I dont honestly care that much about protection, I trade cars so often. I am looking for that shine that will just knock your socks off. Are there any comparisons between the Zaino shine and the Ice or similar products? If I decide to go ahead, what exactly do I need to order? I find the list available mildly confusing. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice
  • daverosedaverose Member Posts: 233
    While it's not completely clear to me (I sometimes need a very detailed picture drawn) what your hesitancy is based on, I'll offer that you are hearing the concerns about the condition of the paint that some very particular car enthusiasts are trying to remedy rather than the results of using Zaino. I can only recall one poster who outright did not like Zaino; others have only had problems of using too much. (A nickel to quarter size drop per panel, for most.) I believe I recall that Sal Zaino told me that one can put waxes on top of Zaino if you want to revert. Much of the discussion is tweaking of technique of use of the products. It is my sense that this product developed for entusiast is fine for the casual car owner, too.
    Anybody used the malms products? compared them to the Zaino products?
    Hello Robert (nice name!),

I've been using Zaino now for five years (purchased it/used it for the first time Labor Day weekend of 2001). Have used it on my black '98 Aurora, my wife's former white '01 Grand Prix GTP, her current white '04 Envoy, and my summer-car, a 2004 Pontiac GTO (seen in all its glory in post #6102 of this discussion). I've seen a lot of car-care products, and used quite a few, but my loyalty to Zaino products has only grown stronger over the past five years. Just yesterday I used the Z-PC Fusion swirl mark reducer (in combination with a Porter Cable PC7424 orbital polisher, plus 3M rubbing compound and swirl mark remover), on the 9 year old black finish of the '98 Aurora. The results were unbelievable - the car's glass-like finish have it looking "better-than-new".

Not to sound like a Zaino commercial (I am in no way affiliated with the company, I've just talked to/emailed Sal a half dozen times). First thing, you don't have to buy just from their website. Zaino is sold through local resellers. My only complaint is that these resellers aren't listed - you need to call Zaino and find out if there is anyone in town. I buy my stuff from a business that sells mail-order Corvette accessories, and they're literally 10-15 minutes away from where I work.

As to what products you need, at a minimum I would suggest the following:

Z-7 car wash
    Z-6 quick detailer spray
    Z-2 Pro polish/sealant
    ZFX flash cure accelerator

The ZFX is mixed with the Z-2 to be put on your paint.

Some other products you may consider right away:
    Z-5 Pro (another polish, but this has some swirl mark reducing/hiding properties - buy this if you have any visible swirls in the paint)
    Z-18 clay bar - if you've never clayed your paint before, strongly suggest this.
    Z-9 leather cleaner
    Z-10 leather conditioner
    Z-16 tire gloss

As for application instructions, the guy who runs http://www.lazaino.com has rewritten them to be a lot more clear (IMHO). Read that site, review the information, and feel free to post back if you have any questions.

Hope this helps,

--Robert
    Thanks for the info. I found a bottle of dawn above the washing machine this afternoon. I think its a sign. I am going to call and see if anybody in Kansas City has the stuff. Another question. I have a faded spot from a bird dropping (large) on the hood of my black avalon. Happened a couple of weeks ago when my car was parked at the airport in 100 degree weather for about 4 days. Will claying remove this dull spot? thanks
    Re: the bird doo spot, clay won't do much. Clay is used to remove embedded surface contaminents. The spot you see is probably damage to your clearcoat and could be permanent. Bird doo is very acidic and can burn spots in auto paint if not removed immediately.

If you have a magnifying glass or loupe, have a close look at the damage and see if you can tell if the clearcoat is affected. If you want to try and polish it out, get a tube of Meguiars ScratchX or Mothers Scratch Remover (available at Pep Boys and other parts stores) and work the damaged section. Hopefully it'll come out with a little elbow grease.
    Your clearcoat probably got etched by the bird excrement. You will need to use something to try to remove/reduce its visibility. I have 3M products on hand, so I would probably use some Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound on an applicator, and work the area by hand, then use the Swirl Mark Remover for dark-colored cars to polish and "fill" the area. I've had good luck topping spots like that with Zaino's Z-PC Fusion (after the rubbing compound and swirl mark remover)... this usually makes swirls/scratches/chips/etched areas like this fairly invisible unless you are looking for them...
    Yes, it is important to get bird droppings off as fast as possible, but be sure NOT to rub them off! Bird droppings contain bits of grit, and you can scratch your paint big time. You have to flood them with water until they are soft and can come right off.

Right after my first experience using Zaino some years ago, a huge bird "christened" my new Zaino polish job. When I saw it, I touched it with a fingernail to see if it was hard, and the ENTIRE BLOB detached and slid off the car in one piece! Blew me away. Nothin' sticks to Zaino!
    I personally keep a 100% cotton toweling and a slightly strong dilute car wash in a spray bottle (in the trunk or wherever) for what seems to be a very common occurence. Spray it on ASAP.
    Thanks everybody for your thoughts. Placed my first Zaino order today and hopefully will begin the process this weekend. Had to have it shipped to my office. Easier than trying to explain to my wife why the 15 bottles/cans of wax I have in the garage don't work. Now, if I can intercept the Visa bill everything will be o.k. People have a hard time understanding this little obsession, don't they? Will let you know how it goes.
    2001 Corvette done at a get-together of detailing enthusiasts over the weekend. Almost all paint polishing done with a rotary. Finished off with 3 coats of Z5Pro and Z8. Z16 on the tires. Polishing alone took almost 5 hours.

• benzoservceguybenzoservceguy Member Posts: 60
    Here's one for ya:

I washed the car with Z7 yesterday and touched up a few spots with Z6.
    Now, today, I got the itch to do a Z5 and then maybe a Z2.
    Should I:

* Wash the car again with Z7 and dry with 100% USA made cotton towels and then Z6 select area (ie: those with possible H2O spots) and THEN Z5/Z2?

*California duster the car to remove all dirt (don't want to scratch the paint) THEN Z5/Z2 (with ZFX) and then finish with Z6?

TIME IS A MAJOR CONCERN!!!

BTW .. it's an 06 IS 250 MT 6 speed/Sports pak
    Matador Mica Red with Black interior
    (so far have done, I think, 6 coats of Zaino .. Z5/Z2 always finishing with Z2 & Z6 as the final application)
    have gotten MANY a compliment on the way the color "POPS" :shades:

Why just yeaterday stopped at the ACURA dealer and was accosted by at least 3 people asking about the 2nd gen IS (ACURA sales folks probably HATED me :P )

Thankx for the input
    Benzoserviceguy
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,241
    Considering the car was just washed, etc., and asuming it's not really dirty, I'd go with #2 since time is important. After dusting, might use Z6 to get anything the duster missed, then Z2 away, with or without ZFX.
  • benzoservceguybenzoservceguy Member Posts: 60
    Actually, that was what I was going to do.
    But, lo & behold, I got "honeydewed" into another project.

The Z6 to catch what the duster missed did not x my mind.

Thanx for the tip

I will use it in the future
    For more bite to knock down scratches & swirls, would anyone recommend a wool bonnet over a cotton one?
  • kirkendollkirkendoll Member Posts: 21
    I have a 05 Avalon Pearl White. I have been using Mothers and others off the self waxes. Not happy with the results.
    Looking at Zaino. What products do I need for pearl white clear coat?
    You using a Porter Cable orbital, or a rotary buffer?

This is common (wool being the most aggressive), but, in general, it's a good idea to start with the least aggressive and go more as needed.

I'm using the foam Porter Cable pads from Tropi-Care, http://www.tropi-care.com (can't directly link to their Porter Cable accessories). It's worked great on just about everything I've tried it with...

--Robert
    Any of the products will work fine with the pearl white paint (I know this from experience, as my mother-in-law still has her pearl '98 Aurora).

You need the "basic" Zaino set of:
    ZFX activator
    Z-2 Pro polish
    Z-5 Pro polish and swirl mark reducer (use only if you have swirls in your paint, otherwise skip it and just use the Z-2)
    Z-6 quick detailer
    Z-7 wash

If you haven't clay-barred your car recently, the Z-18 clay kit (or equivalent) is highly recommended.

Other products you might consider would be the Z-9 leather cleaner and Z-10 leather conditioner, and the Z-16 tire gloss (which I also use on exterior and interior black plastic trim - works great/offers UV protection).

http://www.zainostore.com or call up Zaino and see if there is a local distributor in your area...

Hope this helps,

--Robert
    Yes, a rotary buffer. I've tried foam and cotton, but I need more bite. I think I'll try wool and then finish with cotton. Thanks
    Spent the second half of Saturday and most of the day Sunday with my new Zaino Kit. It was raining and very humid and I thought the stuff would never dry on Sunday. Car looks good and I like the shine, but I have a question about Z5. I have a black 06 Avalon which naturally has swirl marks and some light scratches. I have 3 coats of Z5 and 2 of Z2 on it and I think if I really use my imagination the swirl marks look somewhat better. Is it unrealistic to expect a dramatic difference? How many Z5 applications will it take to be noticeable? Thanks.
  • kirkendollkirkendoll Member Posts: 21
    First of all, thanks for the quick response, I have been reading alot about Zaino. But one questions comes to mind. The basic kit; how long with it last. How many cost can I apply to my car before I need to place another order?
    Wool pad + rotary polisher = high risk activity unless you're well experienced with the combo.

I dunno..... I've got lots of hours with rotaries (I own three of them) and I wouldn't use a wool pad unless there were no other choices. With the massive number of quality foam pads on the market, wool is almost obsolete IMO. And modern clearcoats do not like the high surface temps generated by a wool pad. I hope you have an IR thermometer handy.