Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Zaino Car Care Experiences

Comments

• Options
    chevyk10chevyk10 Member Posts: 12
    Hi Zaino freaks.
    I spent most of the day yesterday reading the majority of the previous posts in here. Thankfully it was raining and I didn't have to feel bad doing so. I just bought my first new car but can't afford the full Zaino system right now (maybe I'll ask for it for x-mas). Problem is I need to protect my new baby over the coming harsh winter months in MN. Any suggestions? I'm not too concerned with shine and look at this point I just want to use something that will last through the winter. I know from reading that next spring when I use the full Z system it'll look dreamy.
    And another question...any good tips for removing those darned dealer decals? (dummy me forgot to tell the dealer to leave it off) I know of a few but am always up to read about new techniques.
    Hopefully someday I can be a Z freak too! Hehe.
  • Options
    benzoservceguybenzoservceguy Member Posts: 60
    I have already Z'ed my sled

Now, I am getting the clear bra ..(yes, I Z'ed B4 I am havingthe bra installed)

My big ?? - do I need to Z the bra???

Should I Z the bra?

What else do I need to do?
  • Options
    tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,242
    All you really need to get through the winter is ZFX and Z2. You're looking at less than $44.00 (ZFX 20, Z2 15, S&H 9). If you can't afford that.......
  • Options
    bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    Yes, Z the bra. I've spoken with mfr and installers of clear bras and Zaino works just fine on them.
  • Options
    factfinderfactfinder Member Posts: 103
    Black is a never-ending battle with swirls & scratches. It seems like once you have them removed, more take their places.
  • Options
    Step 1. wool pad with a mild polish
    Step 2. cotton pad with mild polish
    Step 3. z2
    step 4. z6

=

Unbelievably brilliant!
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    I put what is probably the final coat of Z2 for '06 on my '05 Abyss Blue Acura TL on Sunday. Since then I've had three different people ask if I've bought another new car!

Well, it might be warm enough again this fall for another coat or two... :)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Interesting observation. I ran out of zaino, so I decided to hit one of my panels with Ultra Gloss to compare. Call me a junkie. I striped the zaino off with a chemical cleaner and then applied Ultra Gloss.

Results:

Zaino and Ultra Gloss had comparable shine, gloss & wet look.

The only advantage for Zaino was the 3-dimensional look & longevity. I'm sure Ultra Gloss will wear off sooner.

The advantage for Ultra Gloss was the super ease of application & removal. I mean, you might as well wax with Ultra Gloss as to use a detail spray between washes. Yea, Ultra is that fast to apply & remove. Secondly, Ultra is cheaper, more readily available & simpler to use (no mixing with accelator, etc..). Thridly, Ultra concealed minor swirls and scratches better.

End Result:

Since I love maintaining my car and I don't mind applying wax frequently, Ultra will be my choice. Zaino takes too long to apply and remove (drying time) & you can forget about using it in the winter months, as it will never dry.

Any thoughts welcome. I'm sure I have hit a nerve. :sick:
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Well for sure to each their own! I am having trouble understanding why you think Zaino is harder to apply than Ultra Gloss. Essentially the procedure is EXACTLY the same. The only difference is on Zaino, you take a break period to WAIT 15 to 30 mins for it to dry. Since I have 5 cars, with three of them out in the elements 24/7, the Zaino 6 mo cycle is a heaven sent. Even when I follow that cycle 3 cars x every six mo is still 6x per year! Now even that is too much like work. I'd by lying to you if I said I would not be happy with a once a year Zaino product! :) Since you know the recommended cycle for ultra gloss perhaps you could do my yearly projection, or post it so I can do the math. All the best.
  • Options
    Thanks for making my point. That's just it, Ultra is a wipe on, wipe off product. By the time I finish applying Ultra to a panel or hood, it's ready to remove (without hardly any effort to remove). That is just as quick as a spray detailer. On the other hand, you wipe on Zaino and come back in an hour (especially in the winter). That is hardly convenient. And it requires a little effort to remove.

However, since you don't like to wax often, Zaino probably works better for your situation.

For me, I wash weekly (winter & summer) and I want that "pop" everyday. Ultra just gave it to me. ;) It's as simple as a quick spray detailer. It can be layered too!
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Ah instant gratification? For sure, the longer the better!!If I washed/waxed weekly that would be 260 a year or 22 per month. :(:)
  • Options
    justg0justg0 Member Posts: 70
    I just got a new 2007 Acura MDX. After looking at various options, I am thinking of going with Zaino (over Meguiars which was my second) products to protect/maintain the SUV's appearance. My question is can I do the Zaino recommended cycle in 30 - 40 F weather? I am in the Seattle area and for the next few months its either rain or cold :( The other option I have is to take the car to a detail shop and get a hand wash with wax/paint sealant and start the Zaino cycle in summer. Would appreciate any input that I get.
  • Options
    It would be tough, as Zaino doesn't dry very well in cold weather. This is one of the reasons that I switched. I don't mind waxing every month so I use NXT as my base sealant and then maintain it with Ultra Gloss. This gives a look equal to Zaino, but more user friendly.
  • Options
    Zaino just released a new product that might solve our problem:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Z-CS

Wipe on, and walk away.

Anyone tried it yet?
  • Options
    mdamesmdames Member Posts: 79
    I applied the Z-CS to my car this past Saturday. My car is new. I got it in November 2006. I used Z2 with FX accelerator on it at that time. On Saturday (about 3 months later) I applied Z-CS (by itself) on the paint. Without question, this stuff works. It gave me an amazing shine. I am very impressed with it. Having said that, there is no way this can be done in 5 minutes, as the literature states. You need to do a 18 to 24 square inch section at a time. This takes more than 5 minutes. It took me about 30 minutes to cover the entire vehicle. I have a Lexus ES350. So it's a full size car. It went on fairly easily. However, you have to put it on VERY VERY sparingly, much less than you think you need to cover the area. If you put on a little too much, you'll end up with a hazy film. Fortunately, this came off easily with some Z-6 detailing spray, and shined up spectacularly. It took about 20 minutes to dry on a very warm, dry day in Southern California. I loved not having to do any more than just apply the product. No wiping or buffing. I estimate that I'll get 25 to 30 uses out of the bottle. That's about $1.00 per use. I give this a big thumbs up.
  • Options
    As a follow up to my post of the 19th, it rained here on Monday. After it cleared and my car dried, you'd have thought I just washed and polished it. It was not dirty or spotted. It looked as good as when I applied the Z-CS on Saturday. This stuff is great!
  • Options
    Did it add more gloss & depth? Does it conceal spider-webbing?
  • Options
    In my opinion, it did add gloss and depth. I'm not aware of anything that will conceal spider webbing. My car is a dark ruby color. So it does have spider webbing.
  • Options
    Yea, I hate the look of spider-webs. I have obsidian black and the only way to get rid of them is to polish them out -- which I do. I use 3M Foam Polish for Dark Colors (Professional Formula). The stuff is awesome.
  • Options
    autopia1autopia1 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for offering a fellow member detailing advice and for recommending Autopia Car Care as a source for great detailing supplies. We are available as a resource to your community to answer any questions you may have in regards to proper car care.

I would like to recommend our How-to Detailing Library. Currently we have more than 20 information packed articles on everything from polishing with a polisher to fixing scratched rims. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Again thank you for the recognition!
    The Autopia Car Care Team
  • Options
    ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Hi all,

Just got my Zaino Ultimate kit a few days ago. I washed my car, and then used the clay bar with the kit. Then I used the car wash Z7 and now I am wondering what is the best way to go?

My car is blue. Any recommendations on where I should go from here?
  • Options
    justg0justg0 Member Posts: 70
    Did you go thru the information on Zaino's site:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Z&Catego- ry_Code=APPLICATION

As per Zaino, the fist thing to do is a Dawn wash - did you do that? Just go thru steps on the Zaino site. This is what I had followed:

1. Dawn Wash
    2. Calybar
    3. Z-7 Wash
    4. Z-5 (with ZFX)
    5. Z-6
    6. Z-2 (with ZFX)
    7. Z-8

Yup, quite a bit for work the first time around, but now all I need to do is Z-7 wash followed with either Z-6 or Z-8 for the next 6 months.
  • Options
    Since you have the Ultimate kit, it's time to bust out the Z-5 and the ZFX.

Open up the ZFX kit, take out one of the little bottles and fill it with Z-5 about halfway. Take the little blue dropper bottle and squeeze out about 3 drops into the 1/2 filled Z-5. Shake well and let it sit for about 30 secs.

Take the white cotton terry applicator that came with the kit and flap it with your hands to knock off stray cotton thread. With your bottle of Z-6 spray, squirt two light passes onto the applicator and rub it lightly with your hand. You want the app to be dampened just a little bit.

Find that bottle of Z-5 + ZFX you just mixed and pour numerous drops onto the cotton app. It just needs a light coating of sealant so don't go all hog wild with the stuff. Start whereever you want to on the car and wipe on the Z-5 very thinly. Verrrrrrry thiiiiiiiinnnnn. Thin like the stuff cost you $100 an ounce. Thin like if you slop it on, someone grabs your wallet and takes a $20 out of it. You should just barely see the product wiped on your paint.

Go around the whole car, pouring a few drops of Z-5 onto the app as needed. You can do the paint, the glass, the trim, the wheels, the grill, the headlights, the luggage rack, whatever you want.

After you're done, go back to where you started and light swipe your finger across the Z-5. If the product comes off cleanly with your finger, it's ready to be removed with a towel. If it looked like your finger made it smeary, let it continue to dry for a few mins and check again later. Wipe down everything you applied the Z-5 to with the towel. Now you're ready for application #2, just like the first one. You can apply up to three coats of Zaino in one session, but if you run out of Z-5 mixture, it's no big deal.

When you're done with that, hit the tires with some Z-16 tire gloss, clean the glass, attend to any little areas you missed and enjoy the shine. If you want extra shine and protection, you can apply Z-2 after letting the car sit overnight, but Z-5 can be left as-is. The Z-2 process is the same as I described about for the Z-5.

FYI, some friends and I detailed three (3) vehicles today with Zaino products. A big SUV got buffed out with Z-PC polish followed by Z-5 and Z-CS, a F-150 Supercrew got a Z-6 wipedown and a coat of Z-CS, and a Jetta got a full detail and buffed out with Z-AIO.
  • Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I just got done w/ my second application of Z5 w/ the ZFX accelerator.

I waited about 45 minutes for the first coat to dry. I am going to let the second coat sit there till tomorrow morning and then wipe it off.

Tomorrow, I will put at least one coat of Z2; possibly 2.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Thanks are in order to you too for responding. Yeah, I read the info on the site and the directions a few times. I guess I was just looking for some advice from others like yourself- real world pointers.

You're right- it is ALOT of work the first time around but form what I have read- it seems to be worth it. Thanks again.
  • Options
    kkl1kkl1 Member Posts: 16
    I have previously used Zaino car polish with excellent results on my 1998 Honda Prelude. I tried claying for the first time on my Acura 2006 TSX before using Zaino car wax. Due to my inexperience with claying and perhaps rushing the job, I left fine hair-sized scratches all over the paint. I didn't see these until I after I applied the Zaino wax. I don't think I penetrated the clear coat completely. Any recommendations for removing or minimizing the scratches?

Thanks much,
    Ken
  • Options
    053lake053lake Member Posts: 3
    so is the z-cs the last product to apply after the last coat of wax is all wiped off? or does z-cs go on between wax coats?

do you apply the zaino zfx mixture on head/tail lights & windows as well? thanks
  • Options
    Z-CS is a final step product, so use it after you've done everything else.

You can certainly use the Zaino products on lights and glass, no problem.
  • Options
    Whoa.... sounds like you got some grit in your clay bar. I'm sorry to hear that.

It'll be some work to remove those scratches. If you're doing this by hand, you might want to use Z-PC polish or try a scratch remover like Meguiars Scratch X or Mothers Scratch Remover, both avail in stores. Use these as a spot polisher or go over the whole car again.

Of course, you will have to reapply the Zaino as polishes will remove any product.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Got a chance to use the new Z-CS this evening. Very interesting product! On my black car you can see the product "film" across the surface as you apply it. It looks like oil on a puddle - a rainbow shimmer over the entire car. Then it just dries away and voila - more Zaino shine! Very simple! The only thing I noticed is you have to be VERY careful of overspray. It was a bit breezy while I was doing this and I kept finding little spots of the product on adjacent panels, but all it took was a quick wipe and they spread out and disappeared. Overall a very positive experience. Well done Sal!
  • Options
    jagguarjagguar Member Posts: 25
    Hi all. I've just started reading all these posts and I think I've been convince to use Zaino on my new car. My car is arriving is 2 weeks and I'm planning on Zainoing it immediately. I have a few questions.
    1. The car's brand new and so (hopefully) won't have a single scratch or swirl on it. Would you still recommend using Z-5 the first time around?
    2. I understand you guys like layering the coats and apparently, the more coats, the glossier and shinier the car. If the answer to number 1 is no, should I just use several coats of Z-2? If I still use Z-5, I take it I should alternate between the two. Which one should I start with? And which one should I end with?
    3. Should I polish the glass and rubber trimmings along with the paint? If so, all the same steps?
    4. Tires: I understand Zaino sells special tire gloss, but is it any better than just using Zaino on the tires? Has anyone tried? If so, which steps to include?
    5. After using the applicators and towels, do they need to be washed right away? Can I use the same applicator for each coat, or does it need to be washed between coats?

Enough questions? I'm sure I'll have more. Thanks for you responses. I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    Oh, also, where does Z-CS come in? I want to get the ultimate protection on this car from the very beginning and am willing to pay for it. So if anyone has any suggestions on the ultimate combination of coats, please do share.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    triple_7triple_7 Member Posts: 63
    JUST ordered my z kit with clay bar.Scheduled to arrive this thursday. Just picked up my car on sunday. I have never used a clay bar before and Im worried that I might scratch the paint like one poster stated a few months ago. Is this product (clay bar) easy to use or should I worry about using the product for the first time on my new car. i would really like to follow the recommended process to zaino the car. Dawn, clay, z-7,z-5 w/zfx, z-6 and z-2 w/zfx with some more z-6 timesx2. Did I miss anything.

I hate to waste it but maybe I will have to clay my old car first to get the process down right.

any help will be appreciated.
    -New Zaino User-
  • Options
    Don't worry - it's easy to use. Just be sure to wet the surface well with the water/soap mixture from a spray bottle and turn/knead the clay bar frequently. If you drop the clay on the ground THROW IT OUT. I know it seems extreme, but it will pick up lots of nasty stuff that will scratch the crap out of your paint.

Sounds like you've got the initial process figured out. Good luck - and have fun!
  • Options
    You'll be really happy you've chosen to do this.

First thing, make sure your dealer knows to NOT wash your car. Tell them that you don't want them to lay a finger on the paint. Tell them you don't care if it's absolutely filthy. Make sure they understand this. Then go to the prep department and tell them again. IMHO dealers haven't got a clue how to wash a car.

If they listen to you and don't touch it, you can probably skip Z5 and go right to Z2 with ZFX.

Don't use Z2 on the glass and rubber. But you can use Z-CS on it.

Z16 is definitely worth it for the tires. I've never tried Z2 on tires but I would doubt it would work well since you use so little of it on the finish. I don't think Z2/Z5 are at all formulated for "rubber".

ALWAYS wash everything right away. HOT water, LIQUID detergent, NO bleaches, NO fabric softeners, NO dryer sheets. White 100% cotton towels, and don't buy the cheap imported stuff. Spend the money and get good towels. Yes, your spouse and your neighbours will think you're nuts.

I'm still figuring out where Z-CS fits into the mix. I think I'll be using it as an adjunct to Z5/ZFX as a "touch-up". What the heck, might as well pile on whatever layers I can.

Have fun!
  • Options
    Sorry, I accidentally lumped tires and rims together in one. I'll use the tire gloss for the tires. But would you recommend the full Zaino process on the rims?

I understand how anal I have to be about the towels. I just purchased my Zaino kit including all the necessities, Z-8, Z-CS, 8 towels, a mitt, and 5 applicators for a total of $240. I should have everything I need to last me for the next several years (hopefully). Here's how I'm planning on Zainoing the car. Sal agreed this is how to do it.
    Dawn wash -> clay -> Z-7 wash -> Z-2 w/ZFX -> Z-8 (between layers) -> Z-2 w/ZFX (multiple layers) -> Z-CS -> Z-8
    The only thing Sal suggested is using Z-6 between layers instead of Z-8. He thought Z-8 wasn't necessary, and it's quite expensive. I appreciate his honesty and lack of greed, but I think it would be a good idea to get at least one layer of Z-8 underneath the Z-CS to hold that ultimate shine for as long as possible. What do you think?

Also, about the dealer, the dealer has a technician do a full inspection and check on everything in the car once it arrives. I told the dealer that I want to be there to join the technician for the whole process. I want to see everything that they check and know first hand that everything is in perfect condition. So I'll be there to make sure that they don't wash it. Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    All sounds good!

I've never used Z8 so I can't comment on it. Z6 seems to work well on my black Impala.

Have fun!
  • Options
    triple_7triple_7 Member Posts: 63
    I dawned, clayed, z2 and z6 the car. unfortunately I did not have time to do anymore due to the other commitments. will my car be protected with one coat of zaino or should I leave it in the garage until I am able to apply another two coats. this is my first time using zaino and I already screwed up a few steps(forgot to let zfx sit for five min, and wipe clay immediately)So I dont want to screw up anymore steps.

Any help will be appreciated.
  • Options
    Your one coat is fine. You're good for four to six months. The extra coats(layers) just add to the fantastic shine and may be added at any time.
  • Options
    black00black00 Member Posts: 48
    I'm thinking about buying Zaino to use on my new black car (never used any Zaino products) and was checking their e-store.

They have this new Z-AIO, All-in-one product...
    Have you tried? Is it as good as they say in the website?
    Is it ok to use on a new car?

I'm thinking about buying this pack:
    Zaino Triplets (Z-AIO, Z-CS, Z-8 & 314)
  • Options
    Yeah, it's my favorite new Zaino product. I've used it by hand and with a PC. It certainly works as advertised, esp on a car with new or like-new paint. On a car that's got several years of wear and tear on it, ZPC is a better choice as a paint polish. But ZAIO is a great all around product and has taken the place of Klasse AIO in my arsenal. Use it on paint, glass, wheels, chrome, roof racks, running boards, etc.

ZAIO is very user friendly, just remember to use very sparingly just like all other Zaino products. When I buff on ZAIO, all I do is put 3-4 dabs on my pad and work a small section until I can't see the product. I wipe off with a microfiber towel and move to the next section. Piece of cake!

I'd suggest either getting several of the cotton applicator pads or getting some microfiber apps from a local auto parts store. That way you only use one pad per product.
  • Options
    mackmack Member Posts: 8
    I recently used Z-AIO as my first Zaino experience. Washed with blue Dawn and clayed 6mo.old vehicle first. Applied to entire vehicle at about 65 degrees before removing. Certainly must have put too much on the hood, because I had a heck of a time getting it off,lots of smearing. Most of the rest came off ok, and I let the hood sit overnight. The next day it cleaned up nice with Z-6, but the next time I washed and dried it, I could still see the slightest amount of smearing.

I want to hit it with Z-5 to fill a few swirl marks, but I think I'll wait until it gets washed a couple of more times.

I guess it's going to take some practice to get this ultra thin application process down. I thought because this is a cleaner/polish, a super thin layer wouldn't do much cleaning.

Anyway, the shine is excellent, and I'm anxious to get some layers on it. I did everything by hand.
  • Options
    tl_2007stl_2007s Member Posts: 34
    Is it OK to use Zaino Car Wash on a car that is not on complete Zaino system?
  • Options
    Absolutely OK.
  • Options
    Any more review of the newer kids on the block, Z-AIO and Z-CS?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    I just ordered the "Maintenance Pack." 4 z7, 2 Z6. When will I stop! Hope to try my first Z7 this weekend. "No rain! No rain!"

• Options
    Maintenance pack ordered Tuesday, arrived Friday. First wash w/ Z7. First impressions, smells good! Like cherry bubble gum. Lots of lasting suds, I may have used too much. Seems to hose off easier, leaving less water spots. And the shine does appear to be greater than after the Turtle Wax Wash 2000 I've been using. I think I'm sold again. I'd better be, I have four bottles of Z7!

Followed up w/Z6 and Z2/ZFX. Waiting for it to dry to buff...

This stuff is goooood.

• Options
    orange606orange606 Member Posts: 32
    Z- AIO is a great product, easy to apply, good shine, and seems to last. It was applied on my car about 4 months ago. After the monsoons blew through, I washed my car alongside my GF car which had been waxed with another product a month prior. The dirt slid off my car but had to be washed off her car. After 4 months the surface is not as smooth, but considering Z-AIO is not the best for longevity I think it performed well. This weekend I am going to try Z-AIO for prep and Z-CS as a top coat.

Also, for my GF’s car is older and in need of extra care. I plan to clay the car, and then use Z-PC with a DS and light cutting pad, followed by Z-AIO applied with the DS and finishing pad, and finally Z-PC. My goal is to restore the surface smoothness comparable to my new car.
  • Options
    Replace DS with PC in my last post, don't ask.
  • Options
    The process: Wash with Dawn, Z-18 clay with diluted Z-7 as lube, hose and dry, apply Z-PC with dual action machine with white polishing pad then remove with towel, next apply Z-AIO with red polishing pad and remove with towel. After waiting overnight apply Z-CS with Ziano applicator and walk away.

It was a long process but the results were worth the effort. The car is a white 98 accord, and although it was cleaned and waxed regularly the paint surface was covered with oxidation, water spots, and scratches.

Z-18 clay: I am not excited about this product; personally I think Clay Magic is as good or better. With the Z-18 it was difficult to gauge my progress. The first stroke with Clay Magic tends to have resistance, and then as you progress the resistance diminishes indicating that the surface is clean. The Z-18 did not exhibit that trait. The Clay Magic become dirty looking, but when done, the Z-18 appeared perfectly clean. I am not sure what this means, but if the Z-18 is removing surface contaminates where are they going? The paint surface was smoother, but in the future I think I will stick with Clay Magic.

Z-PC: I am more excited about this product. It was applied with a dual action machine and white polishing pad. The oxidation was gone and the lighter swirls and scratches were removed. Based on this experience the cut was similar to Meguiar’s #9 or 3M Swirl Remover. I appreciated that I did not have to wash the car between polishing and waxing. My only gripe, why not sell Z-PC in a larger bottle like the Z-AIO.

Z-AIO: As previously stated I like this product, it’s a great surface prep with decent shine. This time for application I used the dual action machine and red finishing pad. Considering that the Z-AIO has mild abrasives it seemed logical to apply after Z-PC to remove any haze. The result was a smooth, glossy surface. However, I may consider using a more aggressive pad with the Z-PC and the white pad with the Z-AIO, as the red pad was not meant for abrasive products. The car has not looked this good since its first year of life.

Z-CS: This was my first time using Z-CS. It was easy to apply and dried as advertised, but I found it impossible to avoid overspray. The surface did seem to be slightly more reflective but slickness did not improve. In using Z-CS longevity was my primary motivation.

In the end other then the clay I will continue to use all the products above.

My next installment will cover other Zaino products and the consumer reports favored Black Magic.