Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Zaino Car Care Experiences

1131132133134135137»

Comments

• sincraftsincraft Member Posts: 24
    Hey thanks for the link. :)

I guess I really need to know exactly what methods people are using to apply their product? Are you using a porter cable buffer with the proper wax pads? Is it worth it or is the old fashion method ok? What towels to use to wipe the wax on with.

I mean all of this is a moot point when it comes down to washing and waxing - WHICH IS THE MAIN CAUSE of scratches on a car!

If you get ONE tiny little microscopic to the naked eye stone embedded in your waxing pad, you are literally creating swirls all over your car. If you use a power buffer, you are probably putting 10-15 times the swirls on your car over hand waxing.

How do people counter this?

My two issues are:
    1. New car - what I should do first. Obviously wash and protect. Does waxing or anything protect from future scratches and stones?

2. Older truck - the steps to take to bring it back to new looking. Without cutting into the clear coat too much.

I'm not a big fan of using abrasives on a cars finish. I know many think the clear coats are thick on today's cars but from what I can tell, and from what I've read, you only have about 5 or 6 swirl removals you could possibly do with a buffer professionally before you get down to the bare paint.

That said, I'm not sure what to do. I'm reading everyones posts and product information sites, but I see nothing about destroying a cars finish by using products improperly or how to prevent this. Yes I want my swirls to go away and to get that high end new car shine, however I don't want to risk a $4k paintjob either.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    To apply Zaino, I use the pads which you can buy through their site. Other than that I will use a microfiber cloth wrapped around one of the left over sponges that came with the original pad. Once washed and clayed, I'll use the pad to apply the Zaino with a front to back up and down motion. You could start with a couple of coats of Z5 and see if you're satisfied with the results. If there are a ton of scratches it is possible to use the porter cable with a varying type of paint finishing products from some that won't harm the clear coat to an aggressive abrasive type. Again depends on what you're looking for. Most of the sites that sell the porter cable have a variety of refinishing pastes to choose from. What I've found is that most of those sites sell what they advertise as refinishers and swirl removers but in actuality don't have the aggressive properties needed. In other words they protect the user from ruining their paint by selling products which in my opinion don't really remove the scratches.

Funny thing about the porter cable. I've used an aggressive formulation to remove water spots, stains, and scratches from 10 year old cars. While some will say you should you a two step process with aggressive then buff again with less aggressive. I've found that to be unecessary. Again depends on what you're looking for.

On a new car, I'd recommend the wash with dawn and clay to remove all impurities. Then follow with a couple of coats of Z5 and when satisfied start with the Z2 with coats of Z6 inbetween each coat.

My vette has 12 coats of Z2 so all I do is Z6 after I've blown the dust off the car with the blower. I wouldn't recommend using a Califonia duster, course the other option would be to wash the car to rid it of dust.

With your truck you should also do the dawn and clay then follow up with Z-PC Fusion paint cleaner and swirl remover. The Z-PC can be applied by hand therefore limiting any type of clearcoat removal while taking some of the scratches out.

The Zaino residue, what little there is, will not scratch your paint.

Removal of Zaino polishes should be done with 100% white cotton towel while some opt for microfiber. When choosing the 100% cotton you need to read the label as only those Made In the USA will be 100%. Those coming from India, Indonesia may say they are 100% but have found to be less than the advertised percentages and may cause scratches.

The most important thing to remember once you've attained the finish you're looking for is to NEVER dry wipe a car with a chamois or absorber. Always wash first cause whatever dirt and dust on the car will act as an abrasive.
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    The basic steps of a detail are the same for new cars as older cars. The older car may need another intermediate step or two, but the process is the same.

As I've mentioned before, I have never seen a brand new car that didn't need at least a little polishing. You can do this with a simple "all in one" product or use a dedicated polish. Since you have the Mothers carnauba wax already, I'd suggest picking up the Mothers Pre Wax Cleaner and their Sealer Glaze. The cleaner is a chemical process with very little mechanical (abrasive) cleaning. It will remove old wax and reduce fine scratches and swirl marks. The Sealer Glaze is primarily a beauty product, filling in swirls and providing a nice rich gloss. Final step is to top it with the carnauba wax. You can do this process on both cars with no problems but the truck may need a little more elbow grease to get top results.

Personally, I always use polishers and buffers to detail a car. While the work can be done by hand, the machines deliver far better results in a fraction of the time. The Cyclo polisher your brother has is a good machine and with the correct pads and a good polish, you should be able to get terrific results.

Orbital polishers like the Cyclo and the Porter Cable (PC) simply do not have the torque and cutting power to severely damage paint finishes. I've always said the only way you can damage paint with a PC is if you threw the machine at the car. I've tried to burn paint with a PC and all it did was wear *me* out. It's the perfect machine for most car enthusiasts.

Car detailing is all about using a simple process and working from there. The basic steps are:

(1) Wash and dry
    (2) Clay
    (3) Polish
    (4) Protect with wax or sealant
    (5) Everything else (tires, wheels ,glass, interior, etc)
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    It's officially spring: First handwash (Z-7) followed by an application of instant shine (Z-6). I gotta again give props to Zaino. It's been 6 months of New England winter since my last application of Z-2, but after the wash still a great shine! And bettered with the Z-6. Just good stuff.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• benzserviceguybenzserviceguy Member Posts: 96
    HELP - my kid's 2 layer ZAINOed car had bird turd on it for over a week and now, it has etched into the paint .. WHAT TO DO???

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

I don't own a porter cable orbiter polisher and have most of the ZAINO products.

I would also be willing to use NON - Zaino products if needed.
    PLEASE HELP !!

-SKIP-
  • jjujju Member Posts: 4
    You're going to need an abrasive and if you have Z-PC you might be able to get it out by hand. It's hard to judge without seeing it.
  • moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    Hi everyone,

I've never actually spent much time on taking care of my car's paint before, but I have a 1 month old car that I want to keep looking good this time around. Zaino's products are a little confusing on their website. My goal is to find something easy to use and lasts as long as possible. Basically which of their products would I need to polish and then seal for a long time? I don't need anything fancy or perfect looking.
    YOU HAVE OPTIONS and probably the reason you are confused.

If you want to just "protect it and forget it" every 6 months, I would recommend that you go with Z-AIO, Z-6, Z-7, & the 314 applicator. You can substutute any car wash for Z-7 AS LONG AS IT CONTAINS NO WAX.
    Yes, Zaino has added quite a few products the last couple of years...

The prior suggestion would work, but from the older school of Zaino, you could use Z-2 (w/ZFX for quicker cure time) with Z-6 for gloss enhancement, quick details. Z-7 is the car wash.

My car is dark blue, so I use Z-5/zfx to cover up swirls/light scratches with the final coat (several final coats!) of Z-2/zfx, shinier. Z-6 in between coats.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• crosby1crosby1 Member Posts: 23
    Consumer Reports has regulary tested car waxes but never Zaino. In 2002 Guru did the only significant test of waxes I've found, giving the nod to Zaino. I have used Zaino Z2 with ZFX since 2004 and have never found a wax that will last nearly as long.
    Has anyone seen any significant, recent tests of Zaino or of vinyl/rubber preservative?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Has anyone tried this product?

Ultima Car Care vs. Zaino Bros

Just curious.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    Haven't tried it but the price would probably keep me from trying. And to think I thought Zaino was expensive.
    I have a friend that tried Ultima and shared his results with me.

Ultima has a different look than Zaino. Where Zaino highlights the shine (results brighter than with a wax product), Ultima is "cloudier". Also, the product does not last as long as Zaino. It's great if you don't expose the car to the weather (sun, rain, etc.)
    Here in New England. Anyone care to review some of the new Zaino kids on the block?:

Z-AIO
    Z-CS

• pixshooterpixshooter Member Posts: 51
    I could not figure out how to post a new thread, so I am asking on this Zaino thread. I have never heard of Zaino so my questions are for all waxes.

What brand do you like the best?

1.Looking for easy to apply and rub off.

2.Great protection and long lasting
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I bet everyone here prefers Zaino. :)

You may want to post your question here: Store Bought Waxes

Or just read back posts to see what people are using.
  • crosby1crosby1 Member Posts: 23
    The only definitive test of car waxes gave Zaino first place. I like it because it will layer up to three coats at a time. The wax on my vehicles was applied last fall and it is still beading up, despite the MN winter.
    Consumer Reports tested waxes, but they did not include Zaino. Too bad as I am a CU member.
    Zaino is easy to apply and easy to remove. Cleaning of the surface is key.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited August 2012
    I know this is an inactive topic, but has anyone else tried the new Z-CS Clear Seal by itself and been disappointed? The description claims there are no VOCs, but it has a strong petroleum/solvent scent. Most of the other Zaino products smell good. Also, when using it by itself (as advertised), the longevity doesn't seem to be nearly as good as Z-5, which has been my "go to" product for the past several years. I applied Z-CS a few months ago, and water no longer beads up on my paint.

Looks like I'm ordering some more Z-5.