Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

ABS Reliability and Repair Costs

2»

Comments

• alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    The pressure modulator is not the "brains" of the system. It's a series of electrically operated solenoids which control pressure to the brake assemblies. It receives signals from the control module, the "brains". What diagnostic trouble codes were retrieved? By the way, you HAVE had the hydraulic system flushed every 3 years to rid the system of the moisture-contaminated brake fluid that causes corrosion and failure of pressure modulator components, right?
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    As you know, I'm sold on the importance of brake fluid changes. But why do so many of the car companies not recommend changing it in their maintenance schedules?

Most if not all of the European makes require it, but only some of the Japanese do (Honda yes, Toyota no, for example), and NONE of the domestics call for it.

Why is this?
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    I know. I've just gone through the owner's manual for one of my my cars and nowhere does it mention brake fluid changes or the effects of moisture contamination. In the factory manual however, I found this:

Important
    - Always store brake fluid in a closed container. Re-seal containers immediately after use. Do not use brake fluid left in an open or improperly sealed container because it absorbs moisture or can become contaminated.

Flushing the System
    - Flushing is essential if there is water, mineral oil, or other contaminants in the system....etc, etc.

What it DOESN'T mention is that there will be water in the system and the concentration can increaase up to 2-3% annually. Go figure.
  • q45manq45man Member Posts: 416
    You purchase a car with a warranty 36k, 50k, or 60k you are given an opportunity to purchase a extended service insurance policy up to 100k.
    Why would a manufacturer worry about what happens afterwards? Most new buyers trade after a few years before whatever warranty they decided is up!
    What responsibility does the OEM have on a used second hand car.......there is a massive amount of maintenance info available to those who search it out.
    Generally the problem has been exerbated by the Marketing departments trend to talk about 100,000 miles and the extremely small print concerning maintenance.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    With the exception of my 1984 T-Bird Turbo beater, every car I've owned since 1988 has had ABS. I have never had an ABS component fail. All of the cars were German except for a Nissan Pathfinder SE and a Volvo 740 Turbo. One vehicle hit 290,000 miles with no ABS problems while anothe has gone 123,000 without seeing the ABS light.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I had a '90 Mercury Sable with ABS, the first year it was available on this car. I had all the usual Taurus/Sable troubles over the 10 years and 135K that I owned it, but no ABS problems at all. (No head gasket problems either; luckily I had the 3.0-liter V6.)
This discussion has been closed.