Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Camaro -No Power when attempt to start

mrcamaromrcamaro Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I have a mystery for anyone skilled in
intermittent electrical problems. When I turned the
iginition key, the was no starter activity, no
power to radio, fan, anything, but the door chime
would operate as well as lights; battery is fairly
new. After being towed home, the tow-driver put
turned the key & shifted into neutral to pre the
car to come of the truck bed and noticed the
radio/dash lights come on -the car was able to be
started. The clock kept time, so that means there
was not a short or disconnected wire anywhere. It
has to be somekind of relay or switch...but where &
which one?

Comments

• 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    What year?What engine?Automatic or manual transmission.Sounds like the neutral safety switch has gone bad,but can't give you any specific info without having some specific info.
  • mrcamaromrcamaro Member Posts: 7
    The Camaro is a '95 with small V-6 (3.4L) & automatic Trans. There's zero power to the instruments/radio when ignition at all times (except when the ignition problem disappears, then everything works fine)
    Clean and check the battery terminals and check the battery cables,make sure they are all clean and tight.More than likely there is a loose connection somewhere.I would not be surprised to see the connection on the starter solenoid loose.It is really common.
    I've checked the battery connections. The clock keeps time & the key-in-ignition chime works, as do pwr door locks & lights/horn. Somekind of relay or possibly the ignition-switch itself just is not allowing electrical contact for dash accessories nor starter. How difficult is it to get to the ignition switch?
    The ignition switch is at the bottom of the steering column,on top.If you go under the dash with a flashlight,you will find it.check that the plug in is in secure to the switch,but I doubt it is the problem.Have you checked the fusible links from the starter?When you have a no start condition,check the battery connection for power,then check power at the starter,then check power out of the starter,then check power at the fuse panel.Understand that alot of the newer vehicles are using a split power system,meaning that there are 2 power sources to the fuse panel.One is constant power and supplies the accessories,the other supplies the engine systems.There may be a relay in the system,I'll see what I can find.
    Here is a diagram of the starting system.Instead of posting it,I will put the URL of it.Print it out and save a copy for later use.But looking at the diagram,I would have to say that more than likely there is a problem with the neutral safety switch or the theft deterrent module.Here is the link.95 Camaro starting system diagram
    I went to look at the ignition connections. First, I pulled the fuse to the airbag to prevent loud surprises, and also pulled the courtesy light fuse out (I wanted to avoid disconnecting the battery). Then I removed the bolts that hold the steering column in place. The ignition switch was far back but I could see & reach it. I pulled on the individual wires going to it and also re-seated a large connector up there, then put the key in the ignition -the power came back. The radio had re-set, so I'm not sure if the courtesy-light fuse cut the power after I turned the ignition off or if power was actually intermittent due to a broken wire. Anyway, I'm not sure which wire...or even relay it way, since I was feeling/pulling. I suspect it was a loose connection to the ignition switch, but not sure. Thanks for your help & suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.