Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saturn Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• Options
    drymerdrymer Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 1991 SL1 for a work vehicle. Shortly after purchase the car stalled going down the highway. Upon investigation, I found the DIST 7.5 amp fuse located under the hood had blown. I replaced it and the repair lasted for approx. two weeks before the same thing occurred again. The car runs great and gives no indication of a problem until the car just stalls. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this?
  • Options
    howell1howell1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Saturn Ion that started making a rattling noise underneath. It just got louder and louder. I carried it to my Saturn dealer and they said it was the resonator and that it was not covered under the warranty. They also said I had a bad oxygen sensor and that it would be covered. They had to order the parts and so I waited for about 2 weeks and went back for our scheduled appointment. Well after the standard we'll get right to it hour and 15 minutes, they put it on the rack. After cutting the old resonator off, they decided to take an hour lunch while my wife and I and our grandson waited. Then they come to me and tell me that they will have to keep my vehicle because the new resonators made by Saturn will not fit the old mufflers....huh? They will need to order another $240 some odd dollar new one. After looking into the shop and seeing the old muffler lying on the floor with a sledge lying on it, I figured out why it wouldn't fit. This was the most unpleasant and dissatisfying experience I have ever had with a dealer anywhere. And I am still waiting on my vehicle. Anything similar with an exhaust system?
  • Options
    rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    A timing CHAIN slipping is a common problem ? I can't understand how a timing could actually slip. It could break and cause this kind of damage -- which is extreme damage and completely unacceptable, don't get me wrong -- but can a timing CHAIN actually slip ?

That

Thanks,
    Rick D.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Not "slip" but it can "Jump" a tooth, yes, if it is slack enough...or it can jam and break. Generally a slack chain is something that makes a good deal of noise prior to jumping or breaking.
  • Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    The chain guides are aluminum with long nylon slippers attached. The nylon deteriorates and breaks off, resulting in excessive chain slack. The chain jumps, the camshaft timing retards, and the exhaust valves become intimate with the piston crowns. I've done more than I can count, but have never had to replace other than the exhaust valves, and chain/guide/sprocket kit. The divots in the pistons aren't a problem and won't adversely affect durability.

As far as being "completely unacceptable", you can choose to accept it or not. As Mr. Shiftright said, the rattle from the front (right) side of the engine should be a major clue that there's a problem. They'll rattle for a while before the chain jumps. Ignore it and pay the price.
  • Options
    Latest report from the Detroit Auto Show on this interesting new vehicle, in the Edmunds blogs----right here:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee8e572

Host
  • Options
    newvue1newvue1 Member Posts: 4
    I've had my 2006 Vue V6 FWD for 2 weeks and when I come to a full stop at a light, the engine "surges" forward, and it idles very hard, making the steering wheel and dash vibrate. It stops when I put it in neutral. This occured first at 350 miles and the mechanics can't find anything wrong. No codes are returning with the diagnostics and it doesn't occur at every stop. They recallibrated a computer, and weren't able to recreate it, but as soon as I picked it up, it started again.

Has this happened to anyone? I love the car, but I'm thinking about exchanging it within my 30 days. Mine's pretty loaded and there aren't any others in the area so I'm going to have to pay the tranport fees. I wouldn't normally be this way, but 350 miles? Come on!!!
  • Options
    jst4jst4 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 Saturn L200 that has less than 30,000 miles on it, and it has recently begun to make loud noises when I steer left or right. It is not a consistent noise, but it does happen often, and it is driving me nuts. I took it to the dealership to repair, and of course they could not replicate the problem and could find nothing wrong with the car. Yet after I got home, it started making those noises again during turns. Has anyone else had that problem and does anyone know what's wrong? The mechanic initially thought it might be the intermediate shaft, but without being able to replicate the noise, he was unwilling to peform any work. If I turn a full circle left or right, the noise does not generally occur. It just happens at random times, and it happens more often during initial use (but not so much after it's warmed up). Any ideas?
  • Options
    hepcat13hepcat13 Member Posts: 1
    i just bought an 03 VUE and cant for the life of me find out why the engine is sounding like a remote control car .. or a whinny vaccume cleaner.. has anyone experienced this.. PLEASE if so let me know what i can do. It almost sounds like something is winding out.. but when im on the highway it sounds fine.. Thank you in advance !!! :confuse:
  • Options
    cntrygurlcntrygurl Member Posts: 12
    they are buying it back ,i contacted the consumer protection agency here in pa and they told me what to do ,i would call the cosumer protection agency in your area and file a claim with them,if the dealer where you bought yours from is like the dealer i had they will call you a liar and tell you theres nothing wrong with the car but legally after you take a car back 3 times for the same problemits considered a lemon ,good luck but file soon
  • Options
    my 05 ion quad coupe 3 did the same thing and they could not find out why it did this either but there buying it back after admitting its a lemon ,i would exchange it
  • Options
    megan7026megan7026 Member Posts: 3
    well, after the same problemss as many people here, i finally discovered what the problem with my car is.

after a few weeks with the car, it started to have a rough idle at high speeds. i could be going 80mph, with NO change at all on the accelerator, and the RPMs would shift, from like 2 1/2 to 3. You could feel it when driving. Then, when I hit 3800 miles, the check engine light came on. Took it to the dealer. They gave me a $40 oil change, and apparently just turned the light off, and said good as new (thanks saturn!) it came on again two days later. took it back to the dealer. two days later, they decided it was a sensor on the external part of the transmission, and they would call me later that day and tell me what time to pick it up the next day. Well, later that day came along, and as soon as the phone call started with 'do you have a few minutes?' i knew it couldnt be good. Apparently, coolant and moisture contamination was found inside my transmission. At first, the sales consultant told me that saturn would either replace, or rebuild my transmission, whatevers more cost effective for them...ok, so you expect me to pay for a brand new car, and accept a rebuilt transmission? I filed a complaint with saturn customer care, and demanded an explanation. Obviously, i got a call later saying they would replace my transmission, and they gave me a free upgrade on my warranty. Any more problems with this piece, and im gonna demand they take it back.
  • Options
    rob176rob176 Member Posts: 2
    My 97 Saturn SL1 (70,000 km) has difficulties starting when the engine is warm. Cold starts are fine; warm starts are fine if the car has been just shut off *or* has been sitting for over an hour or so. But warm starts if the car has only been off for, say, 20 minutes are difficult. It always starts, but only after cranking for a long time. The hotter the outside temperature is, the worse the problem seems to be.

Any ideas????

Thanks for any thoughts.....
  • Options
    ajmccarrellajmccarrell Member Posts: 1
    I just tried to start my car this morning and it would not start, I eventually got it started after 15 mins of trying. I got to work and it started for maybe 5 seconds and died. It won't start at all now and smells like gas when I try to start it. Any idea what's wrong?!
  • Options
    Well if you have coolant in your transmission make sure they replace your radiator as well.
  • Options
    Remove the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator and check for the presence of gas in the hose. If so, the regulator's leaking and requires replacement.
  • Options
    jfinleyjfinley Member Posts: 1
    I don't have an answer for you, but wanted to tell you that mine does exactly the same thing, with the added bonus of honking the horn like a car alarm (which I don't have) if you leave the key turned on in between trying to start the car. It's done this from day one, and for a while I lived in the Mojave desert, so you can imagine what a pain in the butt that was.

My Saturn SL1 is also a 97 and has 97K miles on it. Recently it has started being very loud, but I can't tell what is causing the noise. I'm a widow (my husband was a mechanic) and I don't want to take it to a shop and have them tell me all kinds of bs that I don't need. I guess I will have to get a guy to go with me or something. Is yours loud too by any chance?

Jeannie
  • Options
    If it's a rattling noise at the right (passenger) side of the engine, it's probably the timing chain. The mileage is about right for it. If the chain jumps a tooth it'll result in expensive engine repairs.
  • Options
    rob176rob176 Member Posts: 2
    That's interesting that yours does the same thing. Mine first started last summer when it was hot. The problem went away in the fall when temperatures cooled down. We had some unseasonably mild weather last week, and it happened again, inspiring me to write this post.

I did take it into the dealer last summer, and the service rep. at first didn't know what to make of it, but he spoke to a mechanic who said right away it was the engine thermostat. Guess what? That wasn't the problem. I haven't taken it in since then. Perhaps the reply given to me by Alcan is worth pursuing.

I haven't had the horn problem or the noise....although this morning on the way into work (it's gotten cold again, about -15C), I noticed a bit of a rough idle...like a rattle. I imagine it just doesn't like the cold (can't blame it).

Cheers,

Rob
  • Options
    drivesafe1327drivesafe1327 Member Posts: 1
    The same thing happened to my 2003 VUE at the millage!! We were able to muscle it to the dealership, I say muscle because the power steering was out. BCM had blown at a $530 charge-YIKES! I've asked if Saturn to help out in the cost since it's just past warranty, still waiting for their answer. This is the 4th dumb thing to happen with this car, the other 3 were under warranty but I have little tolerance to cars going to the shop. Thinking about trading in!!
    Not thrilled with my VUE :(
  • Options
    Thanks for the info -- I did exchange it. Today marks 8 days in the shop for the old one and they still can't figure out what it is (other than the engine). I love the new one -- it driving experience is completely different too - much smoother. Thank God they had the exchange policy and that this happened on day 14, not day 31!!
  • Options
    jhunter2jhunter2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Saturn SC2. I was told that I need a fuel pump. I replaced the fuel pump and my car still will not start. It is turning over as if it wants to start but does not seem to be getting any gas. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where to start looking for the problem?
    Thanks In Advance
  • Options
    lemonbluelemonblue Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93' Saturn SL2 that has been a dream for me since ive had it....the only things Ive had to replace have been age related rather than just wierdness....Recently though my car has made this awful racket under the car cover....I was told timing chain...so a new timing chain, guides, tensioner and a lot of cussing later...it was done...SAME NOISE.....so then we were told is the timing belt tensioner....replaced that and THE SAME NOISE...its a banging, metal on metal noise sounding like its coming from under the cam cover...Ive had to change the transmission and the mounts are all good...but it only does it in drive or reverse...in neutral or park it runs like a dream....I couldnt ask for a better car but this noise is driving me nuts...can someone point me in the right direction? I absolutely refuse to go back to the Saturn dealership....I wouldnt be surprised if they tried to sell me blinker fluid...Any help would be greatly appreciated ...thank you
  • Options
    maz2006maz2006 Member Posts: 1
    What was the problem with your Saturn? My 2000 L-Series seems to have the same sickness you describe with your 2003 Saturn L200 . I'm getting the same mad flashing light show and although the car starts with no problem, I can't move the gears out of park. My car has had a few problem, but for most part has been quite reliable. I keep up with the regular maintenance, but I not sure what's going this time. Can you help? :cry:
  • Options
    what kind of car did you get another saturn ,my husband had a 04 quad coupe 3 and it was in the shop 4 times for water leaking through both doors,he got tired of taking it to the shop every time it would rain ,gm cant seem to fix any problems with these ions ,yesterday he traded it on on a 06 ford mustang ,we used to love saturns we bought 4 of them in the past 4 years but i will never buy another gm ,to many problems with the cars and trucks they make ......
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Sounds like your dealership was playing guessing games at your expense. I woudl find a good independent garage to look at your car. It will be cheaper and they can't be any worst than your dealership.
  • Options
    Yes, I exchanged if another Vue. I trust the Vue - I think it was just a fluke (HOPEFULLY). You know, I used to have an Olds Alero and they had a recall for water leaking in the doors - it was actually filling up the space under the footwells, making the carpet wet but not the floormat. very weird - wonder if it was the same thing.

Anyway....I said I would never buy American again, but I like the Vue's and with the honda engine I thought it would be a lot better. Funny that the problem was with the engine!!! Hoping this one works out....
  • Options
    The flickering lights has plagued most of GM midsize cars. There are two theories floating around: 1) the ground for the alternator is not properly connected or 2) the voltage regulator in the alternator is not working properly meaning new alternator.

Only i know this is aIhave a 2000 Intrigue with the same problem. I replaced my battery this summer and have not had too much trouble. I think the new battery is simply masking the problem. It's still there but not as bad.
  • Options
    rdoddrdodd Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 saturn SL1.
    The other day my heater started blowing cold air.
    After abit of troubleshooting I decided to install a new thermostat.
    It worked but I find the heat still isn't that good.
    Especially when I'm idling it seems to cool down but when I
    start to drive the heat will pick up abit but still not great.
    What could it be? :confuse: ">
  • Options
    hildegarde_jhildegarde_j Member Posts: 1
    My 1997 Saturn SW1 wagon had the same problem, but it was intermittent and could not be diagnosed except when the car was actually cranking but not starting. I left it with the dealer for a week and the problem never occurred. The dealer said it must be one of two expensive things. I took it for a second opinion to a mechanic I trusted, who said there could be other things causing it. I left it with him for a week and it finally refused to start when he was test driving it. The problem turned out to be a crank position sensor. He replaced that and I have not had a problem since.
  • Options
    ladycapricorn1ladycapricorn1 Member Posts: 1
    this is happening to me too.
  • Options
    wrm1701wrm1701 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem myself with my L200.

It turned out to be a hose in the power steering system had to be replaced.

So far that has fixed the problem.

I've hit 40k and now am seeing all sorts of little things.
  • Options
    rdoddrdodd Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem.
    When I would give it the gas it hesitated and almost stalled like it was flooding or something.
    Anyways I put in new plugs and plug wires, the car has never had a problem since.
  • Options
    cwalkcwalk Member Posts: 1
    Hi - New to the message board. Sorry if this is an old topic. I need to clear the drains that support my SunRoof. I've seen a couple of postings on how to do this in an Acura, but want to confirm if anyone has done this at home for the Saturn, and let me know where I should start looking for the Drains.

Thanks much - Christa
    Original Owner - '97 Saturn SC2
  • Options
    terrylaformeterrylaforme Member Posts: 1
    Your heater core is probably plugged up, try flushing it out with a water hose or with an air hose first before changing it because changing it is a real project.
  • Options
    charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    I just bought a used 2002 LW200 wagon with 32K miles. It was a great price and seems like a super car overall--made better financial sense for me gas-wise and payment-wise than buying something new.

The only thing I've noticed that's weird is that there is some kind of intermittent, loud, almost-metallic chirpy SQUEAK that occurs (seeming to come from somewhere in the interior passenger-side rear area) now and then. It happens when I go over bumps or dips in the road, but not every time. Have any of you with wagons ever experienced a noise like this? I'm trying to figure out if this is related to something actually inside the car like it sounds, or something else I should worry about.

I do have the cargo cover thing in the back still installed. I'll probably take it out eventually as I can't fit my bike in the back area with the seats down if I don't take it out.

Charlotte
  • Options
    summer4077summer4077 Member Posts: 1
    I was driving to work this morning and my 99 Saturn SC2 started to hesitate when accelerating, esp. at higher speeds like 60-70, and my heat (on full blast) started to fade in and out; it also seemed jumpy when maintaining a constant speed. Any idea what this could be? When I had my oil changed a month ago they said my serpentine belt needed replaced but I didn't get it done (thought they were upselling)--could that cause this problem? It's also been really cold for a few days, if that makes any difference...and there's about 100k miles on it...and I got gas from a different place than usual yesterday evening. Very nervous to even drive it anywhere for fear of breaking down! EEK! Please help--thanks!
  • Options
    karenshab1karenshab1 Member Posts: 1
    My car seems to sway or bounce on turns getting on and off highway exits (long turning ones that allow you to maintain 40 miles an hour entering another highway. It seems to do it more when turning to the right. I only had the car a week and my husban has a saturn ion 2 coupe I bought the sedan. I have him driving it to work tomorrow and plan to call service fast under the drive it 1500 miles or 30 day return policy. Anyone know? can it be a sway bar, motor mounts, anything serious? If they don't find anything it will worry me more.
  • Options
    neurisneuris Member Posts: 8
    Hi, folks.
    I have a saturn ion-1 2004 model.
    Last Octerber, I first saw "vehicle service" message on the screen. At that time, an engine was not started. A couple of minutes later, it worked. I looked over a handbook, it says vehicle service is a non-emission problem. And then, I had the same problem three times (12/1, 12/19, 1/27). At later two times, it was during driving my car. i was a little bit embarrassed. you guys have any idea about the cause? how do i fix it?
  • Options
    tomdevertomdever Member Posts: 1
    Neuris and anyone else with the same problem.
    I have a 2004 Ion-2. That does the same thing. It will not turn over, it won't even stutter. It clicks and hums down. If I try to start it and then let it sit, sometimes it works. I took it to a mechanic and he said the battery wasn't grounded properly. He fixed it and of course it didn't start again this morning. If you have any ideas please feel free to drop me a line. I will post any answer I find.
    Thanks
  • Options
    bddfm36bddfm36 Member Posts: 1
    2001saturn l 200. timing chain broke,motor is junk.79,000 miles. car was find ,no noise ,nothing.
  • Options
    rbillieuxrbillieux Member Posts: 36
    I posted a message about one door not working cant find on site what would cause this? other electric doors working also antifreeze all over the place--leak-suspect water pump serpentine belt soaked Bob Billieux :sick:
  • Options
    jst4jst4 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for your reply to my original post. Could you be more specific on which hose had to be replaced and where it is located? I want my mechanic to fix it right the first time. Also, you mentioned that now you are "seeing all sorts of little things." What else has gone wrong with the car? What should I be keeping my eye out for?
  • Options
    angie71angie71 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. My 2003 Saturn has been taken back three times in the last 2 weeks for a scraping sound in the steering column. I have an extended warranty as well, and feel the same.(they are just waiting until it expires). I have contacted the Saturn facility in Spring hill, Tn, and told them I will personally drive the Saturn down there and sit it on their lot if this problem does not get fixed. A car less than three years old should have this problem fixed by now. I am to take my Saturn to another dealership on Monday(Feb. 6th). I have spoken to the maintenance manager, and informed him that I want him to drive the car back and forth to work before and after it has been worked on. If after a week, the car isn't making the noise, then I will pick it up with his guaranteed signature on the paperwork. I am sick of this, and it has only been going on for three weeks! :mad:
  • Options
    fjclarkfjclark Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003,L300 and the most annoying thing about it is tire road noise. I'm getting close to changing tires and I'm thinking to oversize the tires and choose a different brand. Any advise?
  • Options
    clark16clark16 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 lw200 my timing chain broke also and damaged the engine. Cost me 1650.00 I filed a complaint with the NHTSA which had already started and investigation into this matter.
    I have read that there is a TBS on the oiler nozzel ( has since been redesigned.
  • Options
    miggomiggo Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same issues too! It all cultimated yesterday morning when my car wouldn't start at all. I took the battery out and got it tested and NTB said it's good. Put the battery back into my L2000 Saturn and it worked fine. Everything was great until this morning once again.

My car will not start and when I turn the key, nothing happens. No clicks, no lights...nothing. When I take my key out, my ceiling lights are on, but are flickering.

So, my car's not starting, but my lights are still on. Can anyone help?
  • Options
    Since your car has the same components as the Malibu, I would first make sure the charging system is operating properly (alternator). Next I would have your mechanic look at the ignition module. this is problem area with dash mounted ignitions switches (you can do a search on Edmunds for a detailed explanation).
  • Options
    miggomiggo Member Posts: 2
    It can't be the ignition module because I had it replaced a couple of weeks ago due to a recall....and I've been had these problems before and after I had the car taken in.

Thank you for a quick reply. I called into work today and spent a good part of the day reading customer complaints about Saturns and everything is pointing to the alternator to being the problem.

I hope that this is the problem.
  • Options
    donebeingcooldonebeingcool Member Posts: 10
    Hi, I am looking for a used car and I recently saw a 2000 Saturn LS with 60 K miles for $7000 at a dealer, which does not seem like a bad deal, since I can probably haggle it down to $6000-6500.

However, I am a bit apprehensive about the Saturn's fiberglass body. Is it true that any little fender bender will shatter the fiberglass requiring expensive replacements? Does the fiberglass make them less safe?

How reliable are Saturns compared to a Honda or Toyota that is about 2 years older and has 100 or 130 K miles? (just trying to find what the best "bang for the buck" for $6500 will be).

Many thanks in advance for any feedback!
This discussion has been closed.