Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville General Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• charly93000charly93000 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, maybe somebody will be able to help me w/ this problem...

I just purchased a 01 Bonneville about 3 months ago and I love it, however I started having this issues. I started noticing and specially in the mornings when the engine is cool, that when driving, then coming to stop, then accelerating, I could hear the RPM's going, but the car wouldnt respond like it should, then slowly, it started to catch up. Now that only happened once in while, and then just yesterday, I noticed that when I would come to a stop in a red light, and then after releasing the brake, but not pressing the gas, the car would hesitate to advance. Then later, I noticed that when I switched to go on reverse it would do the same thing, so I kept switching back and forth to test it, untill when in reverse, the car would not move, I would give it gas but it would not respond, but when I switched it to drive, it did respond and then I would try reverse again and it would respond well. I though maybe it needed fluid, so I checked and it seemed that it needed some so I put some in and then that made it better. however, it still does the same thing a little. Another thing that I also noticed is a sound, almost like a flapping noise in the bottom of the engine.

If somebody would be able to give me some suggestions or information as to what might be causing this problems and how serious it is, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
  • lash92sseilash92ssei Member Posts: 35
    The circuit board can be bought at the dealer for approx. $60-80 range if I remember correctly. It usually can be replaced by someone with fair mech. skills within a couple of hours. I would not purchase this part off e-bay unless it's new.
  • dougf4gdougf4g Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 SSEI. Today, the blower belt came off, but I had to drive it home. Upon inspection I noticed that the idler bearing had frozen up; I'm sure this is the cause of the belt breaking. Question: Will driving the car without the supercharger belt harm the engine at all until I can get it to the dealer? Thanks,
    Doug
  • reino4reino4 Member Posts: 2
    I seem to have a leak somewhere into the car, and water is collecting in the floor of the passenger side back seat. I can't trace back to where the water is getting into the car. Just wondering id this was a Bonneville specific problem
    1998 Bonneville.
    Anyone else ever have this problem?
  • flapper10flapper10 Member Posts: 5
    Folks,

Bought the '98 Bonneville SE w/Ser II engine in 10/02 w/44K miles. Intake manifold and plenum were replaced in 7/02 by prior original owner @ 42K miles for $1400 by private former GM dealer trained mechanic of 23 years. Car still didn't run right thereafter and traded in on a new HONDA ACCORD. Dealer sold car on wholesale market knowing the car had problems. I bought for $7800 in 10/02.......and of course the car ran flawlessly when I twice test drove. With insistence from "alcan" I quickly discovered an ignition related problem....broken ceramic on #2 spark plug. Car has run like cherry since. At 65K I decided to change to Mobil 1, 10W-30. Later at 70K in August '03 I changed to Mobil 1 15W-50 and shortly thereafter I developed a bad oil leak from the oil pressure sensor. Used my extended warranty to repair at Pontiac dealer.....$140. I informed them while car was there of a small loss (<6 ounces est.)in DexCool and I asked them to check the "pink stain" on the intake manifold I recently noticed while topping off the oil. Guess What?? They recommend to change the intake plenum as they believe it is leaking as I do. The intake manifold was not changed. Car runs fine. Where do I go from here.
  • hddaddyhddaddy Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my 2000 Bonnie SLE. Like you, it would make a really bad humming noise (usually high pitched), and would often shift real hard at low speeds after a long highway drive. Usually the symptoms would go away if I stopped, shut the engine off and started up again. I took it to the dealer and they instantly recognized the problem as a "known issue". Anyway, they fixed the problem at no charge (must have been a recall), and I have not had the problem since. My advice would be to contact a local dealership, and let them know that you have heard of other owners who experienced the same thing and that it was fixed free of charge.

Good Luck!
  • hddaddyhddaddy Member Posts: 2
    This sounds kind of strange, but I have been hearing a "swishing" noise coming from the dash of my 2000 SLE. I have not been able to pin point the exact location or cause of the noise. At first I thought it might be a speedometer cable since I had a similar noise from a speedometer cable on an older care from years ago, but it even makes the sound when sitting in park. I then tried turning off all climate control to see if it had anything to do with that, but I still heard the "swishing" sound. Has anyone experienced this? It doesnt seem to cause any problems, but I want to avoid any damage down the road if this is a symptom to something else. Thank you in advance for any reposonses.
  • slicksickwillyslicksickwilly Member Posts: 12
    I have a 02 se with heated seats.. Car has only 6000 mi. on it.. Divers side heated seat does not work.. Light comes on and suddenly goes out.. This is the second time this has happened in a little over a years ownership.. First time it was the passenger side and needed a new heating element.. Is this a common problem with these seats? Anyone else having problems with there heated seats?? Its still under warranty but im a little concerned.. Thanks
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Swishing sound could be vacuum line to heater controls? I haven't checked to see if they are still using vacuum or electric motors there on my 03's manual.

Try sitting in park with engine running then turn off engine and listen for a minute or so until the vacuum reservoir tank runs out of reserve.
    Or you could find the vacuum reserve tank and disconnect the output line temporarily. But finding it may be a job. It's probably tucked into a small corner under the fender or behind headlights somewhere...

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• fpratafprata Member Posts: 4
    Help...I have a 1997 Bonneville and lately the trunk pops open randomly. This usually occurs when I'm shifting out of Park to Drive, Drive to Reverse or sometimes even after I parked and turned the engine off!!! Has anyone experienced this before? I just registered with Edmunds in hope that I could find some answers...thank you.
    If this were Microsoft, we'd say that was an intentional feature of the software!!!

Actually, try taking the battery out of your remote control, or leave it at home while driving. I have trouble with stuff in my pocket bumping the buttons on the remote and setting off the horn, etc. I realize it's on the key ring in the ignition probably. So is it possible you're bumping the button on the remote as you move the gear shift?

Imidazol97...thanks for your reply....I thought about that, but I can't explain the trunk opening after I backed up from a parking spot and shift it into drive!! The remote buttons were clear of any possible mishaps. Any other suggestions??
    The buttons on the remote might be making contact with the least little movement. I had a remote door opener that used to open and close the garage door because of ? temperature ? changes making the contacts work inside. When I took out the battery, the mystery garage door ghost quit. So I bent the contacts inside the opened farther apart.

That's the kind of thinking I had about the trunk. Next would be the radio wave unit that senses the signals or the connection to the button in the car to open the trunk making contact on a random basis.

Does the trunk opening occur in a particular locality? OR everywhere...?
    We thought the magic garage door opening was from airplanes overhead at first due to ?radar? or radio signals from the airport/airplanes.

imidazol97, I'll certainly give that a shot. Thanks for the suggestion. You have a good day.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Check to make sure the release button on the door is not dirty and sticking in. Common issue on the early 90s Bonnevilles that had a cupholder in the door pocket right near the button.
  • bonnybluesbonnyblues Member Posts: 4
    Bad time of year for heated seats to fail. Drivers side on my O2 went for first time at 25,000 km. Same pattern... switch light comes on for about 1 sec then kicks out... doesn't make any difference whether hi or lo. Haven't been rushing to get it fixed, so I don't know why it failed.

Other issues with my 'O2 have included high speed vibration, blown ignition switch, mysterious coolant loss, and sagging sunroof. Could be a really nice car if it weren't for the problems.
  • jayare627jayare627 Member Posts: 16
    Hi, i'm new at posting here but have been reading postings for about 3 months. I have a 2000 Bonneville SSEi, love the car, hate the problems, which are plentiful.

Had the familiar clunking in the front end, turned out to be the steering shaft which they greased?? Not sure how they did it, i checked and could not find any fittings to put grease in the u-joint. Heated seat on drivers side clicks on and shuts off. Trunk fills up with water in the spare tire well after rain. Compass keeps "needing recalibration" everytime other week. Security system continually displays error messages on LCD screen. I also have the noturious vibration and can't seem to have it fixed.

However one thing that does really worry me and it's the first i've seen posted here is in post 1197 about the mysterious coolant loss. I also have the same problem and can't seem to find where it goes. No smell of it burning, no sots in the driveway and no leaks anywhere.

I also have a problem with the rims, they are the chrome ones. However i had new michelins put on it to help with the vibration (yea right) and they kept loosing pressure, turns out the rims are corroding on the inside and won't form a complete seal!! I really love the car it only has 53,000 on it and i'm just not sure what to do with it.
    Have you had the recall done for new bolts on the intake manifold and sealant put into the radiator?

No I was unaware of the recall I am the second owner (bought it at 32,000. Didn't receive anything about it. Should i just be able to bring it in and have them do it?
    Recall.
    You're going to have to contact the service department at a dealership to ask how that works for 2nd owners. I'd assume it applies to the car, not the original owner.
    I'm sure that recall hits most 2000 and up to early 03s. The dealer had to check by vin on my 03.

Did you buy it from a GM dealer? They should have checked the vin if you did.

• wp4lduwp4ldu Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everybody!!
      I'm a new member to the forum and this is my problem: My car makes a strange "CLUNK" sound coming from engine or transmission when the car is on parking only and when I increase the RPM to 3000 and let it drop to 1000 it make the sound like a pice of metal is hitting another metal. Also if I press and depress the accelerator quickly it also do Clunk sound. I have no problem at all when I drive the car at any speed. The first time this happen I put the car in drive and went blank for few seconds. I replaced the transmission fluid and filter and still doing the same. Thanks
  • bonnie92bonnie92 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, i'm new here! I really need some help, cause I have no idea what is wrong. I haven't checked the codes yet, but hopufully I can figure it out tomorrow. It starts fine and will idle no problem, but when I give it gas it starts bogging out. I can slowly give it gas and the rpm's will go up, but when I kick it to the floor it just bogs out and sometimes just dies. It has been sitting for about a year now, but I started it every once and a while.
  • wnewellwnewell Member Posts: 14
    I would say that your gas is hold and you are building up varnish in fuel system, I would suggest some fresh gas and fuel injector cleaner with some upper lubricant or a can of transmission fluid. Today' gasoline goes bad pretty quick. Wayne
    I'd vote with wnewell. Put some good gas in it.
    I'd try to drain the old out first if you can siphon it out with a small tube. If it will run with new gas and fuel system cleaner (Techron's product is good) at idle, just let it idle to give some time to clean up the "varnish" that has formed. If that seems to help, a new set of plugs would be my next step, unless the old one look good and are recent.

I'd try that for a couple of weeks starting it and running it. Then you may be down to a sensor not reading properly for temp and causing poor running mixture above idle.

• envoyloverenvoylover Member Posts: 10
    Hello,

I have a 97 Bonneville which just had the intake plenum replaced, thanks GM. Now that I have just invested $1000 plus I must keep this $4K car longer but have the following noises I hope someone can help me with. When I accelerate from a stop, and turn to the left I hear a growling sound, does not do it when I turn to the right. I also have a rattle in the transmission, it is predominant when the TCC is engaging, does anyone know where these noises come from, one more, when I accelerate from a stop I hear a pop sound comming from the driver side, it just started making this sound. I almost forgot TCC locks up in third gear at 38MPH, almost stalling the car, does anyone know if this is programming issue.

Thanks
  • bonneville89bonneville89 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 89 Bonneville SSE, and I am having some problems with the electrical system. It blows the fuse out that runs the turn signals, but not all the time. The windows are very slow in going up or down. If I run the lights the radio and the wipers at one time the car dies and needs a boost. I replaced the battery, still does it. So I am wondering if it is the alternator or the belt?
    Has anyone else had this problem? I love this car and do not want to get rid of it.
    thanks in advance
    kris
  • hanula37hanula37 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 SE makes a clicking noise when I turn the wheel at low speeds. The dealer claims that it is due to lack of lubrication in the intermediate steering shaft and wants $153 for the repair. With only 47000 miles I surprised that such a problem would crop up on a well maintained car. Any thoughts?
    My 2000 ssei had the same problem, it is the steering shaft going in the magnasteer system. It is due to it being improperly lubricated. I had mine lubricated and it eliminated the problem. However i hear it is just a temporary fix and that you are better off replacing the entire shaft.
    My heated seat ended up being the element after 2 days at the dealership with them ordering different parts for them. I told them i suspected the element because it started buring my butt when i had it on, but as usual it falls on deaf ears. They wanted over $900 just for the parts. I told them i'd stick with the cold butt. I'm not very happy with the quality of this car. My 99 GTP was much more reliable.
  • giamomjgiamomj Member Posts: 15
    Hi gang - I'm back after 2 years gone. My beloved Bonneville SE recently developed a very annoying HUM upon quick acceleration or at steady speeds at 65 MPH+ and or at 2000+ RPMs. Firestone suggested transmission problem - said take to dealer. Dealer "could not reproduce the problem." Well...talk about a disappointment. This car is still on a 100K warranty, too (I'm at 56K+ right now). So hum is still there and bugging the hell outta me. Tranmission SEEMS to function well. Noise *almost* sounds like a muffler/exhaust hole (but I don't think so, hum *only* is apparent while stepping on the accelerator and at higher speeds) OR like car is not going into last gear and is "revving." Manual shifting out of Drive to third and back seems to indicate that car is moving into forth gear. Is it is possible last gear not being engaged (is there an even higher gear - an 'overdrive' that might not become engaged so she sounds like she's humming/revving too fast in a lower gear?)ALSO - I noticed at same time noise started that gas milage has PLUMMETTED by about 80 - 100 miles a tank! HELP!
    This is a reply to #1198 'problems problems problems!' by jayare627 Nov 11, 2003 (9:22 pm)

There was apparently a GM-ordered recall/repair (?) on sealants/gaskets(?) that might cause coolant to LEAK INTO THE ENGINE in Bonnevilles 2000 and perhaps newer. One of my dealerships did this for me recently (I had no trouble with this problem, however). Found out about this coolant loss issue when I took my 2000 Bonneville in for the annoying humming sound (see earlier message) which they 'couldn't reproduce' (and right now I'm trying to get info on that addressed on this bulletin board.)
    What is your engine RPM @ while you are driving at 65mph, it almost sounds like your tourque converter isn't kicking in and is keeping your engine @ a higher RPM which would account for the decreased fuel mileage. but not sure that's an interesting problem i haven't heard of.
    You should be able to go 50 in 3rd gear at an even speed then touch the brake pedal and see the RPM rise as the converter unlocks.
    Then try the same in 4th at 60. The engine speeds up even on level roads with no great load on the engine.

Guys - thanks for the info.

Can you (or anyone else) please clarify: if follow ideas in message #1214 and I do the 50mph, steady speed, in 3rd gear, then do 60mph steady speed, and step on the brake - will the spike in the tachometer you mentioned be temporary and any associated noise abate IF it's *functioning normally?* The hum (or drone) I am experiencing virtually always begins when I've achieved a steady higher speed (mostly highway, or higher-speed back roads) and if I let up momentarily on the accelerator it STOPS - then when immediately resuming acceleration the hum instantaneously begins again. I can usually make it start/stop just by goin off and on the accelerator while driving 60 mph/2000 - 2500 rpm, where this 'noise' really settles in to stay. Moving into neutral while coasting yet pressing the accelerator cannot reproduce the hum - nor can being in park and revving the engine - I have to be moving fairly fast.

Best - Mike
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    The torque converter unlocks when the throttle is closed. To check for TCC apply, maintain a constant highway speed and depress the brake pedal with your left foot enough to turn on the brake lights. This should unlock the TCC and cause in increase of about 300 RPM.
  • lkfinlkfin Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 SSEI which I purchased at 65K miles. It's been a great car to drive, but I experienced a whining noise shortly after I bought it - which I thought might be the alternator or supercharger drive. The local Pontiac dealer informed me that it was the transmission, which I replaced at about 70K miles. That took care of the noise until a few days ago, and now - as I approach 105K miles - the whine seems to be back.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem, or have some insight as to what could be causing this noise?
    My two very recent posts describe a strange HUM or whine, to be even more exact - in my 2000 Bonneville. Firestone Service guys said "transmission." Car is on 0-deductible warranty. Pontiac service said "can't reproduce the problem." Hum remains at higher speeds at 2000rpm+ so far.

Have tried the torque converter test in message #1214 and #1216 - the spike mentioned when going a steady speed in 3rd and Drive and suddenly tapping the brake DOES NOT cause a momentary spike upward on my tachometer. Does this mean its not functioning properly?

This hum you had (or whine) message #1217: was is constant or only at a certain speed/rpm? Please advise. I am NOW planning to get my problem diagnosed by a non-Pontiac/GM repair shop, and then go back to Pontiac and say FIX IT.
    got in the car this afternoon (2000 SSEi) and the service engine soon light came on. Car has 55,430 on it and it just came on today. Is this something that comes on at a certain mileage or is there something actually wrong that sensors are picking up. Should I just disconnet the battery to reset the PCM?
    and it's on steady, read the owner's manual--
    but that's probably an emission control item
    for the fuel systems. The pressure check on the
    tank failed. I had one last year and it was a tube
    had rotten at the end where it connects into the
    charcoal canister. Then I had one last week, but it
    was the gas cap was not tight. It had been several days since I had put in gas. But apparently it had vibrated loose enough that there was not seal.
    Check you manual and see if the light solid means emissions. Flashing means something more important.

thanx imidazol97, the light is orange and it is on steady, not blinking or anything.
    The powertain control module monitors various sensors on the engine, fuel, and exhaust systems. If it detects an out of range sensor signal it will turn on the Check Engine light and (usually) store a diagnostic trouble code.

Occasional flash = intermittent problem.
    Steady light = hard failure.
    Flashing light = more serious problem which could cause engine or component damage.

If the problem is eliminated, the Check Engine light may turn off after a given number of drive cycles but the trouble code will remain in the computer's memory. A scan tool or code reader is required to retrieve the codes. Disconnecting the battery will NOT erase the codes, but will erase any radio and seat/mirror presets.

A loose gas cap is probably the most common cause of a Check Engine light, but certainly not the only cause. Auto parts outlets such as AutoZone will retrieve stored codes at no charge in the hope of selling parts.
  • lkfinlkfin Member Posts: 2
    In response to message #1218, the noise I have occurs in each gear and increases with rpm. It cycles up, then down, as each gear is engaged. It is somewhat "high-pitched", so I would not describe it as a "humming" noise. This is very disturbing to me, as I have owned a number of new and used Pontiacs - but have never had to replace a transmission. This car has been well maintained and looks nearly as good as new, despite the high mileage. Are there any other Bonneville owners reading this board with transmission noise experiences?
    does anyone have a problem of an altenator belt slipping when it is wet out? everytime i hit a puddle it slips and cause the volts to drop to 12 or lower then takes a while to charge back up (about 30 seconds). Does anyone have the same problem or know how to fix it?!

Also i saw a 03 SSEi with 9,000 miles @ a dealer lot for $25,000, completely loaded was thinking about trading my 2000 in b/c of all the problems does that sound like a good price? I live in Mass. if that makes a difference.
    Sounds like a worn belt tensioner, glazed belt, or both.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    My 2000 SSEi had developed the popping or clunking noise in the steering as well (this is a low-mileage car with only about 13000 miles). This is a common problem. The dealer replaced the entire intermediate steering shaft rather than using the lube kit. The lube kit is only about $7 but one hour of labor to take the shaft out, lube it and replace it. The new shaft was $158.51 list price, plus an hour of labor.

After the repair I inspected what I could of it and noticed that the rubber boot over the shaft was pulled away from the point where the lower shaft meets the rack assembly. There is a lip on the boot and a flange on the rack that look like they should be clamped together, but it appears as if the boot just floats there. Doesn't look right but I think that's the way it was before they replaced the shaft.

Later on the day of the repair, when it was dark, I noticed that all the interior lamps were not working. Turned out to be a blown fuse, but I'm wondering what the tech did to cause that. So after replacing the fuse I decided to check everything electrical. When I went to lower the right rear window, the regulator made a cruch! noise and now the window can be raised and lowered only by hand. Another common problem on these cars. Ordered a new regulator (apparently you have to get the motor with it) at gmpartsdirect for about $90 less than the dealer wants even with shipping. Might even try to replace it myself.
  • stickymanstickyman Member Posts: 53
    I have a 96 Bonneville SE with 78,000 miles. My dealer said that I need to have the brake fluid changed. What is the opinion of others and what kind of cost would be associated with this(?), dealer said that it will cost around $65.00.
    SUPERCHARGER: Had a 92, 94, 96, and 2000 SSEI and I always checked the SC oil every 10,000 miles. I never had a problem with any of these. I purchased the oil from the dealer....
    Thanks for the help:-)
  • tee2grntee2grn Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I had enough. I had a 2000 Bonneville SLE that I just could not stop the tires from vibrating. I tried everything. And I mean everything. But when I finally wore out the goodyear tires and replaced them with dunlop sa sport a2 tires, which I loved and balanced perfectly, and the car still vibrated I went to my local Pontiac Dealer and traded it for a new Grand Prix GT 2004. You may ask "Why another Pontiac?". Well I loved the Bonneville. It was a good car. Even with all its problems. But the wheels just kept on vibrating. But as much as I liked the Bonne, the Grand Prix is a much better fit for me. I like the smaller size and the sportier handling. The 3800 III ,yes III , is a better fit for a lighter weight car. And the drive by wire throttle is much more responsive paired with the electronic trans. And the wheels do not vibrate, the trans shifts much smoother and at the right places everytime. I trully look forward to every drive in the Grand Prix.

Enough advertising. Just wanted to thank all you fine folks on the message board for all the info on how to repair the Bonne. It was most helpful. But it got to a point where the value of my car was decreasing and I needed to keep it or sell it. So bye, bye Bonne.
    I have one too. Tomorrow I go to yet ANOTHER Pontiac dealer in hopes of finding out why it makes a droning noise (or hum) at high speeds and 2000+ RPM.

I had the vibration problem you had. I went NUTS over it - Pontiac dealers (I went to many) denied the vibration was there or just continually lied to me about it. I eventually had to buy $600+ worth of new tires, and get them continually rebalanced. I finally sued GM and settled out of court.

Firestone Corp. eventually got rid of the vibration problem! By just good balance jobs. I think GM dealers are a racket...
  • stickymanstickyman Member Posts: 53
    I have a 96 SLE with 78,000miles on it. Dealer is telling me that I need the brake fluid changed.
    Is this common and is the cost of $65.00 in line for this type of service? Thanks for the help and guidance.
  • scylarkscylark Member Posts: 5
    I am seeing water leaking onto my carpet on my 2002 Bonneville. I pulled up the carpet and can see water dripping down the sidewall onto the wiring conduit and onto the floor. I poured water from the hose on the windshield and corner of the car and it did come in. I assume windshield leak. But, has any one experienced this, and can you confirm the windshiled or possibly something else to check?
    It's about 3 years overdue. Read this:

http://www.batauto.com/articles/brkfld.shtml