Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville General Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• campo57campo57 Member Posts: 94
    The type of computer you have is listed on the emission sticker under the hood. If I'm not mistaken, it is near the upper left hand corner.

Campo57
  • gdw3138gdw3138 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Campo57. I found the sticker and it appears that I have a ODB-1 computer. However I still haven't found a scanner to read the DTCs for the ABS, nor found the traction control problem yet.
  • roma007roma007 Member Posts: 39
    gdw3138, I have the same problem. My car is a '97SSE. I took it to the mechanic, and he says the computer code is "Stuck AS Motor". It is costly to repair (close to $1000). I left it alone for now. The strange thing is that sometimes the AS/Traction Control works no problem.
  • roma007roma007 Member Posts: 39
    grr...the spell checker

read ABS for AS
  • wnewellwnewell Member Posts: 14
    GM has a problem with the upper intake manifold leaking on the 95 and up 3.8 engines. You will lose coolant with no external leaks until enough builds up in the intake and starts to spill over into the intake ports and fill up the cylinders with coolant and keep you from cranking the engine. The upper portion of the intake is plastic and cost about $200. and GM recommends that you replace both upper and lower. I could get you a copy AERA bulletin and could fax or mail a picture of problem area.
  • ronthurmondronthurmond Member Posts: 1
    Own a 96 Bonneville, with 130k miles... like most other owners I dislike the climate control.

When the car is first started and the A/C is switched on, the temperature set point flashes several times. Compressor seems to be running fine (return line is nice and cold) however extremely hot air comes from the vents. Most of the time the air only comes out from the bottom. Regardless if in Auto mode or not. Believe the unit is stuck in the heat mode regardless of the temperature set point. Is there a sensor bad?
  • campo57campo57 Member Posts: 94
    The flashing temp means there is an error code set. I don't have my manuals with me but there is a problem with the A/C system. Have someone read the DTC and it should tell you what to look at.

Off the top of my head it might be low freon or the relay that controls it might have gone south. I had a similar problem in my '92 and it was the relay (about a $390 part).

If you have the Helm manuals, there is a troubleshooting section that will list what to look for.

Campo57
  • sgt_martysgt_marty Member Posts: 6
    That sounds exactly like the problem I am having. Called my local Pontiac service dealer and he said he had only seen one with the intake manifold but a few with blown gaskets. I passed your tip on to my mechanic since the barrs leak didn't hold. Estimate was around $375 which isn't bad. Head gaskets or manifold replacement will be higher. Thanks for the info. Marty
    I personally know of three cars with this same problem in the last month. One of these belongs to an employee of mine, He has extended warranty and the dealer fixed his. The service manager said they had replaced many of the manifolds, and I suspect there will be many more replaced, I don't know how to post a picture on this web site but I could fax a picture showing you were to look for the problem.
  • ssparksssparks Member Posts: 1
    wnewell, read your posts with great interest as my '98 bonneville as just started loosing coolant. No obvious leaks, or steam from the tailpipe and the car runs great. The cooling system has a slight pressure loss on a pressure test and all of the spark plugs on the front bank of cylinders appear quite white in color. I was wondering if somehow you could send me some more information about the manifold leak you mentioned in one of your previous posts. Thanks
  • lexie1lexie1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone who owns/owned the '99 bonneville sse experienced any "stalling for no reason" problems or had any other bad experiences with this vehicle??
  • ghchfghchf Member Posts: 5
    Have a 95...had recurring loss of fluid...small amount...figured it was usage. Blew head gasket at 145K...fairly expensive repair. Heads were resurfaced, new plenum (plastic part warps) etc. I was advised that there could be ongoing problems. Car ran fine for another 3 months then bottom end seized...no more motor. Car in great shape and I had planned on keeping it anyway. Rather than go rebuilt, I had a factory fresh new engine installed..EXPENSIVE but car worth it. Nice to see shiny new motor arrive in shrink wrapped plastic sitting on a skid awaiting installation. Moral...stay on top of any coolant leaks. I now have a 95 with a brand new power plant...and new factory warranty. Real pricey but cheaper than a new vehicle. 95 Bonneville just too nice a car to give up on. Cheers.
    ssparks, Try yur gm dealer for Gm Techical Bulletin 01-06-01-007. I can mail or fax to you some more info, just email me mailing address or fax number.

ghchf, if you get antifreeze in your oil and it runs for any length of time it will damage the main bearings.
  • giamomjgiamomj Member Posts: 15
    Help!!

I've had this vehicle since brand new - just 1 year at 17,600 miles now - no accidents, curb hits, etc. The thing has just been balanced re-aligned; I had to put new tires on at 16,800 miles at the same time because the alignment was so bad (this is a dealership goof that I am trying to get Pontiac to fix! - but they now refuse. The vehicle vibrates rapidly (shimmys) at speeds over 50mph - gets way worse over 60. I can feel it in the steering wheel, accelrator pedal, seat, even.

Pontiac refuses to look further into the problem - it's been in like 5 times - I've been to two different dealerships now. One stated "the car is normal" - the other says "we won't find anything."

Anyone know of this type of problem on the 2000/2001 Bonneville?? Anyone have any ideas?? (I am now thinking: shocks, suspension, transmission, other...???)

Thanks
  • john325john325 Member Posts: 237
    I just noticed a shimmy on my '99 SE this aftenoon that's occuring at 50 mph. Now I have 46k miles on it which is a lot different than your 17k. I'll have to have my mechanic take a look at it. I don't think mine is quite as eratic as they way you describe yours. Good luck w/it & keep us posted.
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    I would go to a well-reputed independent suspension shop and get a written diagnosis of the problem. The bring that diagnosis back to the dealership and make Pontiac swallow it.
  • homer2000sseihomer2000ssei Member Posts: 159
    Well, if it isnt your alignment, it could very well be your tires.

a common cause of "we cant find the problem" shimmy is bad rubber. either poor balancing or seperating belts inside, something along those lines.
    From one of the Shakers...Just yesterday the check enging light started flashing on my '99 se, and then stayed on after a while. I cornered my mechanic after church yestereday & he listened to it and said it's missing and probably needs wires or plugs. I believe the plugs are suppose to last 90K+ if that's at all possible. I'm suppose to drop the car by his shop tomorrow. In the meantime, this morning the check engine light didn't come on, but it's still running sluggishly. I believe my Michelins are fairly new, & I presume balanced correctly. I'm assuming/hoping the fix will be something minor.
  • vogel22vogel22 Member Posts: 4
    The only way to clear a theft lock is to take to a dealer. He can read a code with a special key. He will have to call Detroit with the code, prove he is a dealer and then they will give him the code to reset it to the starting point. They did it for me for free.
  • vogel22vogel22 Member Posts: 4
    The check engine light means a part of the emissions stuff is not working. I got it when the dealer broke a wire changing the oil.
    Funny thing; I just had my oil changed recently... I have it changed about every 3k or so. - Can that light mean anything else, or is it 100% emissions related? Thanks for your help.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    My biggest disappointment in reading these posts is when there is not enough information provided to be of help. Any recommendations just become shots in the dark. Infomation such as the last 8 numbers in a VIN number would provide year, plant, and build sequence( would allow readers to see if the car is built near their own car), mileage, engine, tire size, wheel type, and other info is often left out. This info can be added to people's profiles so it dosen't have to be repeated. Another issue is the difference between the manufacturer and the dealer. The manufacturer builds cars for the dealer, cars that they believe will not break down, and they maintain customer assistance centers to tell the owners to go to the dealers. The dealers, good or bad, are on the front line, and have the responsibility to fix things. The manufacturer dosen't "swallow" things. The dealer "swallows" things an hopes to get reinbursement from the manufacturer. Also no one ever seams to come back and end the story.
    Getting down of my soap box, while I was getting the brakes done on my wife's 92 Bonneville , I did some research on some recent topics. I hope the infomation helps.
    GM has issued a very complex service bulletin dealing with shake/vibration felt in the steering wheel, floor or seat between 60-72mph. (This sounds just like your description Michael in #465). This is for the GM large cars which icludes the 2000-2001 Bonneville. Its a very long procedure that could take up to 5 or more hours to perform and must been done completely and in order. It involves checking Tire Radial Force Variation. It talks about the usage of a special machine to check this. A Hunter Engineering GPS9700 balance/road force measurement machine. I surfed over to www.Hunterengineering.com, and found lots of info about the machine and the condition. The best thing there is a locator to find someone who has one. (If you are thinking of asking for one for Christmas, I found a site selling them for $12,730).
    Michael, #465, you do not mention how many tires you had replaced, or if the condition was there before the tires were replaced. But here is my recomendation. Find out if your selling dealer has one of these machines. If not use the locator to find one at another Pontiac dealer. Make an appointment with them for the procedure and express your belief that it should be covered under warranty. Give them plenty of time to perform the procedure properly. The bulletin does imply that this procedure would be covered. (Keep in mind that aligments are only covered between 500 and 7,500 miles, and wheel balancing is only covered to 7,500) If there is not a Pontiac dealer close by, find another GM line and have your Pontiac dealer sublet the work to them. Good luck and please post back with results.
    The were alot of posts in the low 400s that involved the operation of the air conditioning of their newer Bonnevilles. I go the impression that most of them had the Auto A/C systems. I saw the dealer working on a 2000 Bonneville SLE with the Auto A/C. (The owner was unable to push the buttons and change any settings) With the Tech2 scanner tool, you can see all the infomation on these systems. You can see what has been requested, what the outside temp is, what the car thinks the inside temp is, what the temp is in each air duct upper and lower and left and right. This would prove if the car is miss reading anything and if the sensors were working. (Someone had posted thinks that his inside temp was reading wrong) Keep in mind the inside temp sensor is to the right of the steering wheel. Also output is measured at the dash outlet not at the driver or the seat. It is also possible that the system was not filled to the 2.2lbs level of coolant. Also a temp actuator in the dash may not be working properly on the passenger side. I also went outside to a Bonneville in the inventory and stated it up (85F outside) and the fan went to full. This is what I remember form the posts.
    This subject has also been kicked around over the last 20 posts. There is a bulletin that talks about coolant loss without seeing a leak, this could be a problem with the intake manifolds. Bulletin #01-06-01-007A. Keep in mind that coolant level can be checked easily when getting gas. As a starting point, make sure that the overflow bottle is clean and readable. This condition could be checked for if someone whated to by taking off the throttlebody. It looks like it has a triangle base. This faces the air filter box on the driver side of th engine. (I got a chance to see a manifold that the dealer ahd recently replaced-their first- on a 1995 with 135,000 miles) You will see a circular opening at the bottom of the opening. You could possibly feel around with your finger to see if any holes are developing in this area. Also if the orange gasket is carefully removed, you may also be able to see a hole developing allowing coolant into the engine. The repair looks like it takes almost 2 hours and requires about $500 in parts. Here in Massachusetts we get a little break in that the intake manifold is covered under our California Emissions Warranty for 7 years or 70,000 miles. So keep you eye on your coolant levels, and have any loss checked out.
    Thanks for allowing me these long posts, I hope they are helpful. With the way my wife goes through brakes, I post soon again.
  • boosted1boosted1 Member Posts: 90
    Montnafan: Sound like the Tech2 scanner can provide lots of good info...unfortunately it is only useful in the hands of a skilled user. My experience with the dealership near me has not been very impressive.

Still love the car though, and the A/C issue is resolved by using it "manually" when outside temps are high.
    My A/C issue with my Voyager is beeing resolved with the coming of fall.
    Hey I remember another one. My cousin had a 1986 Grand Am and one of my college roommates had a 19?? (early 90's) Grand Prix Coupe with the aero package, both of which developed simular paint issues in front of the rear wheels. I think the fix for the GA was a repaint, and the GP was the addition of clear protective tape. I think the tape is fairly common on cars today. I will check the cars in the parking lot during shopping tonight. Perhaps while your cars are still under warranty, your dealers body shops could add some tape?
    You are a bundle of information. All of it appreciated. Where are you getting the technical bulletin info? I would love to get my browser pointed to the same place and read up. My warranty just expired 2 weeks ago, and the car was in many times during the year and 9 months I had coverage. There may be lingering issues to be dealt with if i had bulletin info.

Many thanks for contributing.
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    Montanfan,any idea what the bulletin # was for the steering wheel vibration? When my 2000 was new, I took it back several times for this problem and the second trip back, the dealer "fixed" it. All well and good but when I recently installed the Saner rear sway bar, I also rotated the tires since the rear ones were off anyway. The vibration is now back, leading me to think that all the dealer did to fix the problem was put the offending tire in the rear.
    Sorry guys/gals about forgeting the bulletin number, had it here in my notes. #00-03-10-007 deals with the procedure. #00-03-10-006 is another generic bulletin that deals with the Radial Force Variation (No specific models listed) The Hunter site also had copies of Chrysler bulletins that deal with this issue. The vibration is more noticeable in some platforms. This may not be everones problem but it matched up with giamomj's. Oh, the bulletin came out in January of 2001. Again, my reading is that this procedure is for after the traditional causes are checked and ruled out.
    All I did was ask a few questions when I had my wife's 92 Bonneville in for service. Also have a big family with serveral Pontiacs (leased/balloon/finance), so have good access to info.
  • ceca894ceca894 Member Posts: 6
    I saw you question on service bulletins. One place I found is alldata.com You can do a search for your vehicle and see if there are any bulletins on it. You won't be able to see the correction with out subscribing, but at least it is a start. I found my "surging" bulletin there on my 97 Bonne. transmisson. My GM dealer did the trick ($1150)worth. It is running great now. If any one is not getting response from dealer on repairs try GM internet customer relations. I was able to get them cover half my $1150 repair.
    Good Luck
    Thanks - Ill pop over and browse around.
  • exsplorinexsplorin Member Posts: 1
    After just reading over 400 posts tonight, I feel that Ponitac needs to really review the TCC issue. I love by 97 Bonneville SE and plan to keep it for a long time, unless I have plop down big bucks to stop the lurching. I will try the new plug wires and plugs first.

But here is the question. I only get about 15-17 mpg City from my car. I notice on a lot of previous posts that 23+ seems to be the norm, with some much higher. I don't pretty well on the highway, although I use the Yukon for most highway trips. I live in a mountainous area and am up and down at least three major hills every day. The hills also cause a lot of lurching by the way. Does anyone have an idea of how to improve my MPG short of moving to Iowa (it's flat you know).

Thanks
  • sgt_martysgt_marty Member Posts: 6
    Bummer, $500 in repair costs. The cheap? $260 plenum on my 95 3800 series allowed coolant into the intake and thus into the engine. Those who find their plugs fouled with caked-on white residue and have a coolant loss may have the same problem I had. If you are unlucky enough to find the engine won't turn over it means one or more cyliders are full of coolant. The coolant is forced back into your injectors and mucks them up as well. I got away with just having the plenum replaced and had to run a few jugs of injector cleaner thru the fuel. Oh, and don't put the Barr's Leak to it thinking this will plug the leak. It just makes things worse.
  • ceca894ceca894 Member Posts: 6
    Do you have a good GM dealer close w/ a good tranny guy? Have them take it out for a ride with a scanner hooked up. Our local dealer has a excellent tech who diagnosed my surge/lurching problem in about 10 min. Try to get GM to eat some of the cost. They covered 1/2. (better than nothing) I think all that surging can't help your mpg. I had my Bonne thru the mountains 2 weeks ago after the repairs and it shifted perfectly. My GM tech said people who avoid this TCC upgrade usually end up doubling their repair cost with a new torque converter. Good Luck...
  • jim237jim237 Member Posts: 10
    I own a 2000 SSEi and live in the high desert region of SW Utah, about 130 miles NW of Las Vegas. July and August daytime temps are 102-107 degrees. I have about 1000 miles on my Bonnie but since it was new I have had a problem with the windshield getting hazey at the botton third of the windshield. I have tried defrost modes, etc but nothing seems to eliminate the haze when the ac is on. Any suggestions!!!
  • jjocjjocjjocjjoc Member Posts: 24
    The new plugs and wires should improve the mileage somewhat. My '99 gets about 19-20 city and about 23-25 Highway. May also want to check into fuel filter and fuel injector service. Not sure how many miles you got on your 1997 and if you've had this done already.

Also, do you leave the transmission in Overdrive during you trips threw the hills or do you crank down one to regular drive? I've think it's better to shift out of overdrive in hilly terrain.
  • h101h101 Member Posts: 62
    I think the haze is from the new vinyl. Most new cars will do that for the first year or so.
    It must be something other than the traditional evaporated vinyl oils because the '00 and '01 Bonnevilles' dashboard is not made from PVC. Instead, the dashboard is made using TPO (read about it at Automotive Engineering International, Exxon or at responsibilityinc.com). Among the advantages touted for TPO is "no window glass fogging".

Perhaps your dealer used an ArmorAll (or substitute) on your dash pre-delivery and it is this which has evaporated and settled unto your windshield.

I remember the days when a blueish haze on the windshield (when a/c on)meant a heater core problem. Is there a smell also (and not that lovely new Bonne smell) ?

Otherwise , id hop into the "something put on the dash camp.
  • chasbvillechasbville Member Posts: 12
    Hi everyone! As usual, I'm enjoying the enthusiasm and interest of all on this forum. I've got a 94 Bonneville. Recently my alternator went out (voltmeter showed steady decline to below 10 volts, lower when accessories were being used). At the same time, I lost reception ONLY on the AM portion of my radio. I've replaced the alternator (and voltmeter now is in proper range), but AM radio STILL does not receive ANY signal. Any ideas on this one? Hope I don't have to replace the whole CD/radio unit!! BTW, this is *only* my 3rd alternator (car shows 88K miles)
  • rb8225rb8225 Member Posts: 33
    Chas-

I had a CD changer put into my '95 Bonni. When I picked it up from the installer, I found on the drive home that AM didn't work, FM was fine. Took it back the next day and they fixed it, said the problem was a faulty ground to the radio. They had messed around with the power cord to patch in the CD changer. Might be a similar problem.
    I had a 1988 Ford Taurus that seemed to eat alternators and batteries, one of the things I noticed was the radio was the first thing to quit when the battery was dying. I ran extra ground wires on alternator and engine to body and frame to make sure everything was grounded and had no more problems with it.
  • domi3domi3 Member Posts: 1
    hi my 01 SLE is a great car i have it 6mos and have 7300 miles. has anybody had a problem with a large space between the seatback and seat cushin i have the leather int. I want to have the dealer fix this next month when i go in for another oil change.
    I have a '00 SLE with leather interior and do not have such a problem.
    On the 2000+ Bonnevilles, the front seat is now a two piece unit. The lower cushion and upper cushions are seperate. Watch from outside the car when you use the power adjuster up/down, you will see only the lower cushion moving. In some positions the "space" can seam quite large. I am guessing this is what you are questioning domi3.
  • jim237jim237 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for responding to my haze problem. I have a dash mat , which is a must in the hot temps we have here in SW Utah. The haze appears whether the mat is in place or not. There is no smell or odors other than the new car smell, that I wished I could keep forever. I went to Las Vegas last weekend running 78-80 mph, ( speed limit is 75 ) and got 27 mpg. Not bad for only 1200 miles, I figure by the time the bonnie is " broke in " 29 or 30 is very possible.I have been using 89 , 92 and 94 octane gas and cannot tell any difference other than the price. Don't understand why they recommend high octane fuel on a V6
  • joelippard3joelippard3 Member Posts: 18
    I have a 1995 Bonneville SSEi. Bought it a year and a half ago with 26,000 miles. It's now got 47K on it and whenever I've been driving at freeway speeds for about 20 miles the transmission comes out of lockup and then out of 4th gear and will not operate normally until until the car is restarted or it has set long enough to cool down. It seems to do this less when the temperatures are cooler. I've read many other posts but none with this exact type of problem. My suspicions are that it's something electrical or computer related. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions.
    I had a similar problem (sort of) with another vehicle - turned out it was the tranny solenoid. Relatively inexpensive considering it was a tranny repair. Good luck.
  • giamomjgiamomj Member Posts: 15
    Greetings Montanafan! - Thank you for the *very interesting information* on the Hunter Engineering GPS9700 machine, on Radial Force Vibration issues, and on the two bulletins GM released. (I'd love to know why two dealerships blew me off on this issue, considering the bulletins, eh?) Please tell me, where can I find these bulletins on the web? I could not find anything on the Hunter.com site regarding them. I wrote their local area rep; he merely gave me this information:

"Mr. Giamo, thanks for your email and utilizing the Hunter GSP9700 web site. My best suggestion is to have the dealership involved go to the GSP9700.com website and locate users of the roadforce balancer in their area. I suggest several be interviewed to determine if they have 'in-between' cone sets (may or may not be needed for the wheels on your Bonneville) and also try to ascertain if the users have technicians competent in proper GSP operation for roadforce diagnosis and matching to include the procedure of rim runout measurement at the bead seat areas of the wheels. While there are a number of nuisance vibration problems that are caused by excessive RFV, vibration diagnostics of today's vehicles can be complex. If your vehicle has vibrations induced by balance or excessive RFV of the wheels & tires, the GSP9700 can identify and quantify the source(s) very quickly. If the wheels & tires are capable of being OEM matched, the whole process is extremely short in the hands of a qualified GSP technician."

Anyway - I'd like to print the bulletins out and read them. To follow up on a couple of questions you had on this issue: I DID indeed put 4 brand new tires on the vehicle a month ago - at 16,800 miles (and at my cost; GM is dodging the issue of paying for them now; we'll see...) I just recently the NJ Lemon law against Pontiac-GMAC(including hiring a Lemon-Law-expert law firm.) I currently have someone from Pontiac-GMAC in Detroit trying to find out where a Hunter GPS9700 is located so that Pontiac's final attept to get the car fixed (via their Legal Defense Team efforts) is worth my time. If the vehicle still vibrates after the final attempt at repair, I will go into official litigation with Pontiac-GMAC via my attorney. I understand from the law firm that I have a *very good* case as it's been so well documented. This problem began at just past 9000 miles.....right now I have 18,450 miles on the car. Still shimmys, new tires, alignment and all. So depressing - as I have paid for the car in cash in full! I own it outright. So here is more on my problem; thanks again - and any more info you might have on the bulletins will help!!