Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti J30 '93

nixriquenixrique Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in INFINITI
I am being offered a 1993 Infinity J30 for $9k,
with 69k miles. The car is in good condition, with
a very clean interior. I checked the car at carfax,
and it seems to be a one owner car. Does anyone
have any advise on what I should look out for ? The
only problem I could Identify was that the CD
player could not read CDs and th A.C was not that
cold. Please assist before I jump on this one.

Comments

• infi20infi20 Member Posts: 1
    i own a 93G20, i have not had a problem with it, but recently i started to notice a noise that was coming from the a/c compressor. I have been told that nissans have a problem with compressors. I do not know if this is a sign that I might be going bad.
  • bbj30bbj30 Member Posts: 1
    I got my car used 5 years ago at 36,000 miles.Very few problems,but I would advise anyone buying a used car from a dealer, as I did, to buy the extended warrantee.If you're buying through a private seller, maybe you can get a warrantee through a credit union with your financing... Many consumer advocates advise against it, but my warrantee went to 100.000 miles, and some very expensive stuff needed replacement in the high 90's...like the transmission, which would have cost three thousand to replace...I paid off the car in three years, intend to drive it for five more, and even though I'm now well out of warrantee, since I don't have payments, the few occasional repairs and higher end maintenance bills I pay for are still cost effective. The car is great! And I always use Infiniti dealers, because of the convenience of the loan car!
  • mattbfunmattbfun Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 J30 with 100K miles. Overall, very trouble free. I also had to replace the CD player ($300). This is a great car and highly recommend it!
  • redman5redman5 Member Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a J30 with 121,000 miles on it. I think I got a good deal on it. I paid $5000.00 for it. It looks and runs great. I would have to say that it's the smoothest and most powerful car I've ever owned but I have had some minor problems with it that I'm sure occur with all cars after 121,000 miles. The first week I owned it I had to replace the power window motor. While I was in the process of ordering the motor the power lock went out as well. The dealership that I purchased it from was kind enough to fix the lock. That was nice of them considering I purchased it "as is".
    On the way home from dealership the power sun roof started to lock up on me. I repaired that myself simply by lubricating the tracks it slides on. After I fixed the sun roof I decided to take it for a ride and play a cd but the cd player would not play. After several attempts and trying different cd's it began to play. I came to the conclusion that you should not leave the cd in the player while you are not playing it. A few days later my wife decide to take it for a drive and discovered that the power to the stereo wasn't going on. I'm not sure why that happened, I did get to come by repeatedly pushing the power button. For the most part I love the way this car handles and how smooth it runs but I'm becoming annoyed with the electrical challenges that I've been encountering. I enjoy working on cars so I figure once I get the bugs out this J30, I'll really love it.
  • j30loverwomanj30loverwoman Member Posts: 1
    Im only 22 yaers old and i recently purchased a 1993 J30 with 130,000 miles for $7000.00..i think i got a great deal...i purchased no warranty i paid cash...i love the car...its beautiful spacious and luxurious especially since im young i get a lot of compliments from older men about the car..but every good thing must come to a sudden jolt in my life...first the sunroof started to stick..(still havent fixed it)..my cd player rejects all my cd's...my back passenegr side window gets stuck halfway down...when my headlights are on i sometimes have to hit the radio preset keys for the key lights to come on...my right headlight goes on and off as it pleases...the first week i bought my car the front struts went outas well as the fuel pump and i had a hole in my muffler wich makes a very annoying noise...also my power steering liquid leaks...everytime it goes in the shop its no less than $200.00 to fix..but its worth it beleive it or not...i love my car and i wouldnt trade it for any other..oh and the a/c is also broken.. :)
  • drgarrydrgarry Member Posts: 1
    The young J30 owner mentioned that one of the headlights goes on and off randomly. I am having a similar problem with my '93 J30. Initially, the left headlight would flicker on and off, but now it is usually just off. Occasionally, it will come on (usually when I first start the car) but then eventually will go off for good. The high-beam doesn't work either. I tried changing the bulb, but no dice. I'm thinking it must be a wiring problem. Any thoughts?
  • redman5redman5 Member Posts: 4
    I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE HEADLIGHTS. LUCKILY FOR ME I WAS IN THE PROCESS OF PURCHASING IT AND THE DEALERSHIP TOOK CARE OF IT FOR ME. IT'S DEFINITELY THE WIRING. THE J30 IS AN APPEALING CAR TO MOST PEOPLE BUT EXPECT A LOT OF PROBLEMS. I'VE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY CD PLAYER AS WELL AS THE POWER TO THE SYSTEM NOT COMING ON AT ALL SOMETIMES SO I E-MAIL THE BOSE COMPANY. THEY POLITELY INFORMED ME THAT THE ONLY PART OF THAT SYSTEM THEY MANUFACTURE IS THE SPEAKERS. THE AUDIO SYSTEM IS MADE BY CLARION. I WAS SURPRISED TO HEAR THAT SINCE BOSE IS CLEARLY ADVERTISED ALL OVER THE SYSTEM.
This discussion has been closed.