Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    the dealership ... say the battery and alternator are in perfect working order. This has happened twice now and they are unable to find the problem. Charge: $95.00 per visit.
    You both may be right: the battery and alternator may be fine but there is another problem. Did the dealership do a diagnostic test? Do you have another dealership or a trusted garage close by that can look at the car for a second opinion?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Ebay, of course. :)
  • myname888myname888 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I had the same problem with my 1997 Protege DX 90k+ mi. Somehow the front brakes got damaged when I was driving over a rough bump on dowbtown Chicago (bad roads). The breaks started making screeching sounds and machanics later told me that pad slipped off (?) and it was metal on metal making sounds. I went to Firestone and had front brakes and rotors replaced for $360, tax included. Rotors cost about $200, rests is labor and pads.

I think you defintely must fix this problem and from the sound of it you could be up for the same reapirs as myself.

Good luck.
    Hi,

all of the sudden yesterday my 1997 Protege DX with 96K mi won't start. I have a new battery and light are on but the starter won't turn. I saw many other posts with the same probem but could not find a solution to it. Any ideas?

My clutch is really worn out but dealership mechanic told me over the phone that it does not matter for this problem.

Should I take the car to dealership or some independent mechanic?

Thank you.
  • jrdwyerjrdwyer Member Posts: 168
    I am curious about your belt breaking. Have you replaced your water pump every timing belt change or at least every other change? I have gone with new Mazda water pumps (manufacturer?) at every other timing belt change with no problems. Also, has the radiator/coolant been properly serviced over time? I have been using Prestone long life (orange) coolant since the first coolant change (30K miles) with no problems. I know that in any given run of parts there will be a bad one or two, even more so with remanufactured parts.

'95 Protege LX, 5spd., 181K miles and still going strong.
  • 77hchbck77hchbck Member Posts: 24
    888...if you have a volt meter check that the battery has ~12.5 VDC across the posts. Also check that the posts and connections are tight and free of any white corrosion. If you have a switch on your clutch pedal that is inline with the starter circuit, check that switch for continuity with the meter. If all above are OK and the starter motor is accessible, tap with something to create a vibration ( a rubber mallet or piece of board). If it now starts, you'll found your problem.

Since your car has a clutch, have you tried to start it by rolling and popping the clutch???

If all of the above seems Greek to you, seek help.
  • rogergrogerg Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a similar situation with bubbles coming up in the overflow for the coolant. What did yo ufind on your situation?

Thanks

RogerG
  • ganggang Member Posts: 16
    The window on driver's side suddenly dropped all the way down to the bottom when I closed the door of my 99 Protege ES yesterday. Then it could not be raised up any more through the button on the door panel. I had to manually raise it all the way up, but it becomes very loose now, and I am afraid it will drop down again. What is exactly the problem? Is this something I can open the panel and fix it up?

Many thanks for suggestions...
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    You can try, but after my experiences with homebrew window repairs in the past, it probably isn't worth the effort. By your description, it sounds like the "scissors" that raise and lower the window have separated. The window sits in a horizontal U-shaped rail that raises and lowers by means of an "X" shaped pair of "scissors" that open and close beneath it. My efforts in the past with a Hyundai and a Toyota resulted in rattly, weak temporary fixes. Bite the bullet and take the car to the dealership -- or better yet (and especially if you don't have an extended warranty), take the car to a glass shop that does auto glass. GET ESTIMATES.

Meade
  • ganggang Member Posts: 16
    Thanks a lot, Meade! I will try auto glass shop soon.

There is a crack line about 3 inches long on the tail light cover on the left side. I never realized this, but the mechanic pointed this out as a safety issue during state safety inspection. Looks like I have to get a new tail light lens, but would this be really a safety problem?
    thanks for 77hchbck, I think understand most of what you are suggesting but I got the message too late - I already had the car towed to Firestone station and they are going to take a look at it tomorrow. I will keep your advice in mind though for the (tap ... tap) time.

A quick question - how hard is it to replace starter motor on 97 Protege? I helped a friend to change starter motor on 92 Camry and that was piece of cake.
    My muffler just formed a hole again at the weld in the connecting flange. The muffler itself is fine; too bad they did not specify a stronger pipe as it seems a waste to toss a perfectly good muffler. Anyway, I fixed this last time with a $6 Mazda Protege muffler from a junkyard. This time I am looking for a better muffler. Does anybody know of an aftermarket muffler brand that is made really well? I am not looking for performance, just quality construction. A search of the internet made me realize that Bosal mufflers look just like the Mazda ones. I can get a new Bosal for around $90, which isn't too bad if it fits perfectly with a new flange. I would spend that much at a muffler shop and they would just reuse the old flange and weld a cheap little muffler to it. Thanks in advance.
  • miket1miket1 Member Posts: 6
    Not yet but I'm taking it back in again today. Last time they told me they would buy the car from me if the new alternator didn't fix the problem. Yeah right. Besides, I like the car and I just want it to run like it did before. Another mechanic recently told me that the belt pulleys are probably just not aligned/shimmed properly, but I'm sure my existing mechanic checked that already. Stay tuned...
  • miket1miket1 Member Posts: 6
    This is my first timing belt change and, yes, I had the water pump done too. The coolant has probably not been changed enough over time, but up here in the PNW I'm not sure it needs to be. Regardless, I had the major 60k mile tuneup recently and that was included at that time. However, the alternator they used was a remanufactured one (which I paid for) (they did not charge me for labor). I told him that I was willing to pay for any alternator that would solve the problem and he strongly suggested the remanufactured one (I can't remember the reason). I'm pretty sure he wasn't screwing me because they likely don't want to see this car again anymore than I want to bring it back in to them. In my opinion, I don't think it's the alternator. Don't know????????????????????????????????
  • civiletticiviletti Member Posts: 86
    The plug wires are a problem point with proteges. Also, it is a good idea to use a fuel injector cleaner like techron a few times a year. It's cheaper than having the fuel system cleaned professionally.
    Well ... they're only a "problem point" if you don't replace them as recommended (or as they used to be recommended) in the owner's manual: every 30,000 miles. I look at them as another "wear item."

Meade
  • tiger1210tiger1210 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, would you know of the best repair manual for 2000 protege? I saw Haynes but it covers 1990-2000, too long for me, would like something more recent.

Thanks
  • zoom zoom kingzoom zoom king Member Posts: 26
    i have a 99 lx pro and 2000 miles ago my CEL came on and i was shocked went to auto zone and had it checked it was EGR excessive overflow. i heard if you clean the area around it you canhelp the light go off. if that doesnt work does any body have a solution cause the EGR valve cost 300.00 buck or i might have to go to a junk yard for it
    I ordered a new Bosal muffler ($87) from an internet parts store and got it put on this morning. The speed of delivery was really amazing. I bought the part on Wednesday afternoon at 3:00 pm and it arrived on Thursday around noon with free ground shipping. Wow!

The muffler appears to be well-made and was sized exactly like the Mazda original. The only differences are the new muffler has a small 1/8" diameter weep hole punched on the engine facing vertical face (I called thinking it was a defect) and the flange on the Bosal is a much thicker piece of metal with no welded-on nuts. This presented the only problem putting it on. Because of the thickness, the bolts would not fit like they do on the Mazda without some modification. So I had to first force off the nuts from the bolts using rust remover, a bench vise, a trusty vise grip, and a ratchet and socket. They finally popped and unscrewed. Taking the nuts off allowed the full length of the two-sided bolts to be used which was then sufficient for both the springs and the thicker flange. The Bosal web site did not show new bolts as a part, so if you do this be prepared to reuse the bolts or get new ones and also buy two new serrated flange nuts.

I purchased a new soft metal gasket for the muffler but did not use it. This gasket material molds and bonds to the male section of the pipe and was still in good shape. If I ever have to replace the pipes in front of the muffler I can make use of it. A little spray lubricant helped to get the metal support rods out of the still good rubber hangers. And finally, my trusty yellow metal ramps gave me plenty of room to do the work. Give this a try in you need a new muffler and enjoy working on your car.

Next up for my Protege is to have a glass shop replace my very pitted windshield. Call me nuts, but I think I'll keep this car another 10 years.
  • jbrandaojbrandao Member Posts: 1
    I'm glad I found this forum. I hope not to make y'all sad I found this forum (yes I'm from the south). My beloved car recently began to run too leanly (what it feels like to me). The problem was slight at first and grew more serious over a couple of weeks. It seems to be temp. dependent. If this were my '67 Mustang I'd say the problem was choke. I'm getting spark and and I believe it's breathing well. The injection system should be fine. I'm wondering if it might be some sort of throttle position sensing device or perhaps something that keys off the thermostat to adjust fuel/air mixture? It blows no smoke but last time I (had to) drive it I noted an odd smell when I got out--it wasn't burning oil or anything the quondam owner of a '67 Mustang would recognize. When in operation, the engine sometimes idles high before reaching operating temp. and feels like it's delivering about 60% power. Depressing the accelerator (under load) leads to ridiculous hesitation then rev up and a moderate increase in power. All the while I sense no missing. Also, the check engine light was on (for its timing belt/70k mi workup) and then began flashing.
    Any ideas would be MUCH appreciated. Any cheap ideas would be MUCHER appreciated.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    "Also, the check engine light was on (for its timing belt/70k mi workup) and then began flashing."

I don't know what you're talking about with the timing belt workup bit, but the check engine light on means the engine control computer has detected a signal out of range in one of it's monitored circuits, and the light flashing means the computer has detected a fault which if left will probably damage the catalytic converter. Suggest you start by having the stored diagnostic trouble codes retrieved and go from there.
  • warren4warren4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Protege with the same problem. The EGR port is blocked. Does the EGR port only go from the EGR opening to the intake where the throttle body is located ? Mazda states not to get carbon into the surge tank. I have no idea what the surge tank is ? I need to know how to safely clean the port. Any help would be appreciated.
    Surge tank, I don't know what that is either. Here is what I do know. For my '95 Protege LX 1.5, the EGR valve has I believe four connections. Two are vacuum tubes with one connecting to the EGR vacuum modulator and the other one connecting to the vacuum switching valve. You can find these two controls by following the rubber tubes, then metal tubes going away from the EGR valve. The third connection is the electrical one or valve position sensor. It is just a wired clip into the top of the valve. And finally the last connection is the one into the intake manifold. With the 1.5, the exhaust manifold tube does not run directly into the EGR valve like shown in the Haynes manual. Rather, the exhaust tube connects to a seperate passage or side compartment of the cylinder #4 intake manifold runner and then this port connects to the EGR valve. Here is where I am a little fuzzy as it has been some time since I replaced this part and I did not keep the old one. I believe that there is second port that routs from the EGR valve into the cylinder #4 intake manifold runner and allows exhaust gasses to be burned when the valve is open. So if you add this port, that makes five connections total.

As far as carbon, the only place you will see it is inside the old valve and on the port(s) coming from the intake manifold. Ideally, you are supposed to clean out these ports when installing a new EGR valve. I did the best I could with just an old toothbrush and either some carb cleaner or rubbing alcohol. As I recall, there was a sharp bend in the port, and I remember not being able to clean very far in. To thoroughly clean these ports would reqiure removing the intake manifold completely, a real pain. Anyway, the old EGR valve was very carboned up and after installing the new valve the pinging went away. So I feel the new part worked and corrected the pinging problem.

Finally, some on this board have had success with a chemical cleaning of the ports and valve done by a repair shop with the proper equipment. This probably only works well for newer cars with minimal carbon buildup.
  • warren4warren4 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply. I will try & clean the port. The valve I have already cleaned but the engine light came back on.
    I just got done putting in some new NGK plugs into my '95 Protege 1.5 . It had been about two years since last doing it. Looking at the gap on the old plugs, they were at .045" or out of spec by .02". The new ones were gapped at .040", just above the .039" minimum gap allowed. When I started up the car it initially ran rough and the check engine light came on. Also, the idle was quite low after warming up. Realizing that my young son had been in the car using all the accessories for the last several days, I guessed that that battery had been drained and was not fully charged when I started the car. Also, I did not disconnect the battery when doing the plug change so the computer was not reset.

So had the computer remembered the old gap at startup and this caused the rough start or just the drained battery? One thing I realize about the Protege is that it seems to have an undersized charging system compared to other vehicles.

I subsequently disconnected the battery terminal and reset the computer and also drove the car for awhile to fully charge the battery and everything is running good again.
    Make that out of spec. by .002". Also, I was reading on another post about long life spark plugs and a engineer said that such plugs only have long change intervals on vehicles designed for them. Or, put another way, you shouldn't do extended change intervals with long life plugs on older vehicles that were not designed for them. Has anyone else heard this before?
  • giac23giac23 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 91 Mazda Protege with 185K miles. Recently, when I try to turn on the A/C, it doesn't blow cool air. What could be the possible cause for this? I was thinking a leak, but where?

Also, Does anyone know where I could get a diagram that details where all the fluids chambers are located in my car? I know where the washer fluid and power steering fluid goes, but I really need to locate where the coolant, brake fluid, and transmission fluid go. Also where do I find the chamber that houses the Freon?

If there is no diagram available, can someone instruct me where all these fluid chambers are located.

Thank you,
    gia
  • mnrovermnrover Member Posts: 52
    Hello all - First posting in this forum! Sorry, this may have been already discussed.
    I have a 2002 P5 with 40k miles on the clock. Anyone feel that the P5 auto tranny is too quick to shift? I am finding my self constantly hitting the gas in order to downshift to accelerate. I have been using the "Autostick" more and more to combat the annoyance. Just wondering if Mazda would be able to remap the computer in order to alleviate this. I am thinking with all the unneccessary shifts will cause premature wear on the tranny. Any advice?? Thanks all
    I can't be of much help since my Protege was a manual, but you may get a better response if you post this over on one of the Protege5 discussions ... probably the "Problems and Solutions" discussion.

Good luck,

Meade
  • mnrovermnrover Member Posts: 52
    Thank you for the info! Much appreciated. I will give the "Problems and Solutions" a shot.
    Josh
  • wrenchingwrenching Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 95 protoge that has this loud ticking sound. I'm pretty okay with mechanics but theres still alot I dont know. There's this sound coming from the right side of the motor. It sounds like a ticking sound, but only at start up can you really hear it and the higher the rpms go, the louder and more fast the ticking is. I'm pretty sure its a bearing from the A/C compressor but Im still not 100% sure. My A/C blows cold air and makes no excess sound when the AC is turned on. Its just when the rpms go up. I changed the belts, plugs, and cleaned most of the carbon, varnish etc... out of the engine. The CEL went off when I cleaned the engine now its back on. I replaced a vaccume hose which was cracked.
    Car runs fine except for that loud ticking sound when I accelerate. If it is the bearing, then is it easy to replace? Thanks, I hope someone can help :confuse:
  • badgergbadgerg Member Posts: 4
    Hey, I have a 99 protege Lx with 90k miles. I have put alot of cash into it trying show it off. I got undercar and interior neons, strobes, and my problem center, a nice sound system. I got jbls door speakers and pioneer 6x9's in the back with a pioneer deck. I was just about to put some 12' kicker L7's in the trunk when i noticed a problem with the cd player. When ever i run the defroster and play the cd player for over an hour with the windows, it seems to not read cd's when i want to change them till 2 hours later. The radio will work fine though and i dont have this problem unless my windows are down. I've had people tell me that the deck is getting to hot and that i should tape something over inside on the top of my deck. So i found the 99 protege deck recall and called the dealership. They said that the recall was already taken care of............... What should i do now? :confuse:
    e.g., humidity. Moisture condensing on the laser.

May I ask why you're running the defroster with the windows down?

If your windows are that foggy that you need to run the defroster for an hour, try doing something that will make your windows defog a LOT quicker -- shut your windows and turn the a/c on while the defrost is on. Bingo, clear windows.

Meade
    I hate virginia weather lol.
    Where are you? I live in Richmond.

Meade
    outside of richmond in the boonies. Mechanicsville to be exact. Whenever i drive my friend home was when i was havin problems. He lives in the part where the fog likes to roll in and theres always somethin tryin to get hit in the road.
    I'm on the other side of town, in Midlothian -- but right now I'm halfway to your place, working in the Suntrust building downtown. I've owned two 1992 Protege LX's and a 2000 Protege ES in my past; now I'm driving a 2005 Mazda3S wagon. My wife drives a 2002 Protege5.

So you might call us Mazda fanatics. :)

Meade
    That's whats up ;)
  • zyxxyzzyxxyz Member Posts: 1
    I need some advice on what I might be able to do with my car.

97 Mazda Protege LX. Ran it a little too long after last oil change and the oil got really low. Car shut itself down on the highway a few weeks ago. Now it won't start at all. Turns over, sounds great, but it won't ignite. Borrowed a friend's OBD reader (Autoxray ez-5000) and it reports no codes, it doesn't even know the Check Engine light is on.

I know next to nothing about cars but this is my chance to learn. Unfortunately money is tight and even a tow to a garage is more than I want to spend until I have a better idea of where the problem might lie. Friends who know cars aren't even really sure. Could anyone offer some advice on what to look at please? Thank you.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    My wife has a 2000 Protege ES with about 66K miles on it. Last week the check engine light came on. I brought it to a shop to have it checked out and have an alignment & tire rotation done. The engine light was caused by a gasket that dried up and cracked. The said gasket was letting un-governed air into the engine. Part wasn't too bad, but there was some labor involved in replacing. Also I was shocked to find out that the front struts were leaking hydraulic fluid. I subsequently had them replaced. Thank the guy upstairs that she bought an extended warranty when she bought the car. A $1000 job turned into just $225 out of my pocket. Is this a common problem with these cars? What else can I expect as the miles on her car rack up?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Ran it a little too long after last oil change and the oil got really low. Car shut itself down on the highway a few weeks ago.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Does the car leak oil? Oil shouldn't get "low" between oil changes; if anything it will get thin and dirty. How did the car "shut itself down"? Did the engine just quit? Or was there smoke? Hesitation? Noises? Are you connecting the shutting down with the low oil ... if so, was the oil just low, or completely out of the car? Need more INFO!

If you don't know anything about cars, and your "friends who know cars" have looked under your hood and can't diagnose it, it's a little optimistic to think someone will be able to diagnose it here, sight unseen. I would have the car towed to a reputable mechanic and get an estimate. Otherwise, you may waste that tight money on a bunch of "whacks at it" from educated guesses here before the cause is finally stumbled upon. Have someone professional weed out the real problem.

Meade

P.S. You must know something about cars to know where to hook up an OBD reader and check codes!
    Bradd ...

Your wife must have hit a very wide pothole, a curb or some other hazard in the road to make both front struts leak. As far as the gasket goes, I have no idea. Evidence:

I just traded my 2000 Protege ES on a 2005 Mazda3. My 2000 Protege had 91,100 miles on it when I traded it. I only had one "problem" with the car; at 85,000 miles and some change, I had to replace a strut bushing (not the strut, mind you, but a rubber bushing under it). I paid the deductible on my extended warranty ($50) for it; it would've been about $170 for the job. That's the only problem I ever had with the car since buying it new in May 2000, and I attribute that problem to personal abuse -- there's an off-ramp near my house that is just a little more fun when I push the car hard into it ... :)

The only time I've ever had a leaking strut was after I lost control of a car in the snow and hopped a curb at about 20 mph. The abrupt jolt to the strut compressed it too fast and made the seal pop out, causing the leak. Of course, the impact that caused it also bent the wheel the strut was attached to. In most cases, struts don't just start leaking on their own. Something has to cause it. I'd be even more suspect since it's both of them. My suspicions are leaning toward a little event that wife never told hubby about.

A couple of people who still hang around here from time to time have had experiences similar to mine. Larry (protegextwo) owned two 2000 Protege ES's, one for himself and one for his wife. He had about 70K miles on them when he traded them for two Pontiac Vibes about a year ago. (We've become good friends and now get together at each other's homes for cookouts, even though he's in PA and I'm in VA). Larry had a transmission problem early on, well within his original warranty, that was covered under warranty. Otherwise, no problems with two of them in 70,000 miles. I'm pretty good friends with several other third-generation Protege owners; the consensus here is that they're very reliable cars.

I think several other lurkers who own 1999 and 2000 Protege ES's (same engine) might come in here and tell you the same thing. I've never heard of one strut -- much less two -- going on these cars in only 66K miles, and the engines on these cars are fairly bulletproof. I've been posting here for five years and I've never heard of a dried-out, leaking gasket on a third-generation Protege. Sorry to hear about your problems, but to answer your question, no, these are not common problems with these cars.

Meade
    I think that most struts should last between 100-150K miles before getting soft and needing replacement. The rear struts on my '95 Protege went 130K miles before starting to leak fluid. This was mostly caused by my towing a 400 ATV on a 4x 8 utility trailer which is NOT recommended by Mazda. We will see how long the Monroe replacement struts put up with this abuse. The car seems to be doing fine though.
    I've used Monroe shocks in the past, and have always had very good service from them. I even had a pair of Monroe Maxx-Air air-adjustable shocks on a Toyota back in the days when the accessories on my cars were worth more than the cars themselves.

Meade
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    No problems with the ones on my '99LX to date (the boots on the other hand, tend to fall apart at around 45k miles). The previous owner must've really abused them (going too fast over potholes, RR crossings etc.).
  • morganbmorganb Member Posts: 1
    i have a 98 protege DX and lately theres been a wierd sqeaking whenever i go over bumps and constantly on the freeway or when driving without stopping. also i just noticed this morning when i turn to the left theres a definite grinding sound from the right front wheel area...what could this be so when i take it into the shop i dont get taken advantage of???
  • sammazdasammazda Member Posts: 5
    I lost the remote of my 1997 Protege sometime back. I got a new one from an online auction but am not sure about programming it.
    Is there any help online regarding the same?
  • m98m98 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 protege and any time I stop at red lights, stop signs or what have you my car starts to shake and rattle. Just wondering where I should start to look to fix the problem.
  • glish_dreamsglish_dreams Member Posts: 1
    i jst bought a used Protege.. i believe 03 ... has a turbo on it... and had a cold air intake... mazda took that off becuz my engine light was always on... i think its cuz one of the sensors wasnt hooked up .. only the MAF would be hooked up with cold air.. the light was the only thing wrong.. didnt want to see it............... does anyone know of something to fix this were the light will go away... like a little chip or wire to make it think its there when its not.. or a way to totally turn it off...

also... it has a turbo gauge and controller.. but there not hooked up... how do i do that...
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    any time I stop at red lights, stop signs or what have you my car starts to shake and rattle

How many miles on the car? Is it a manual? If so, does it sound like your clutch or transmission are acting up?