Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Problems 2000-2005

Comments

• mpopeskovmpopeskov Member Posts: 1
    I bought Honda Accord, model EX, in April 2003. The problem that occurred a few days ago was that backlight of Clock/Radio/CD/Climate display went off. Every component of the unit works properly, but I cannot see information on dashboard.

I called my dealership and they told me that just to determine what is the problem, what I already could see, I have to pay $95.00 + tax. I told them that this is too expensive for something so obvious, so they told me to come to service and they will look that for free and give me options what I can do. Next day I went there and they even didn’t try to look my car. Instead the service advisor told me that because car is out of warranty I have to pay $1200 to get whole unit replaced. It looked to me they already had these cases and they knew what was wrong.

Because that option sounded to me very stupid (paying $1200 just to get light), I called customer service for Honda Canada. After listening to complain she immediately told me that I have 2 options. To pay $1200 for replacement or to get unit refurbished for $300. Again she sounded like somebody who already came across the problem. I told her that I found on different forums tons of people with the same car and the same problem, and that it was obvious that something is wrong in the design of that unit when it requires replacement/refurbishing of the whole unit just because of light. That would be like selling $300 lamp that has to be replaced when bulb gets broken. So she took VIN of my car but she told me that she could not open the case until proper diagnostic is done on my car. She called the service and they told her they did visual check, but for diagnostic I have to go back and pay $95.00 + tax. After that Honda may pay me part of repair to get that light back.

I am very disappointed with my experience with both Honda customer service and Honda dealership. They all know there is a system problem with the radio unit in the car but instead to fix it, they choose to make profit of it. I understand their motivation to act like that but on the end they will just loose one customer and I hope I can persuade somebody else not to buy their car.

:mad:
  • bbtacobbtaco Member Posts: 15
    Here is a TSB from American Honda on that problem. I don't know if it covers Canadian models. :):)

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2517
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You just clean up the bore in the clutch slave with 600 wet/dry and a little dowel or even your finger---DO NOT use any kind of cylinder hone!!!or if you have to use the hone, wrap the 600 grit paper around it. The hone stones are too coarse and you'll bore out the cylinder too much.

If the bore is badly pitted, a honing won't work, you'll have to have a bronze insert machined into the cylinder after it is bored out and re-sized.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    Below 55F is NOT cold enough to make your engine "suffer"... Below 0F -- maybe, yes, the engine may sound weird for a short time..

Why not take the car to your dealer, leave it overnight? It sure sound fishy to me, owning the same car.

If your car have engine knock it would sound more pronounced in high speed when you try to accelerate. Then I'd say you use bad gas, but what you describe here does not sound something that should be ignored on a brand new car, and you may be DAMAGING your engine by waiting.
  • susanfsusanf Member Posts: 3
    Hi. I bought my 06 V6 Accord two weeks ago and have noticed the same thing. Does anyone know what can be done (short of buying a different car) to address the issue? I saw the reply from haefr - not to be dis-believing but, is that really true. That this shifting should smooth out over time?
  • scoleman6648scoleman6648 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1992 4-dr. Honda Accord and lately I have been having a difficult time getting it to start. Once it starts and I shut off the engine after driving, it starts right back up. It is just the initial time of starting that it has difficulty catching and turning over. It seems to happen whether it is warm or cold out. I am not sure if this could be an issue with the starter or the ignition.
  • terence9538terence9538 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my '91 Accord LX with 400k miles. The control unit (28100-px4-722) was replaced. The car has been running great since.
  • indybobindybob Member Posts: 10
    Use the dial and not the buttons. That will take you to 0.
  • montognesemontognese Member Posts: 14
    What dial? The only dial I have is for the volume. I don't have the Navigation System.
  • indybobindybob Member Posts: 10
    Sorry, I have '05 TSX and it has a dial to tune/change channels plus a dial for volume and the search and seek functions by buttons. Assumed your's had the same capabilities. I don't have Navi either.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    If her current tires are worn out, she should get some new ones. In her financial situation, get some low cost non name brand inexpensive tires. Any new all season tire would be better in snow than driving on bald tires.

Given her financial situation, snow tires are probably out of her affordability range.

Other than that, if she is not used to driving in snow, she is going to have to learn how. Drive and brake like you have a raw egg under your foot that you do not want to crack. Do all things gradually-no sharp steering or braking actions. On snow packed or icy roads, slow waaay down. Maybe find an internet site that lists tips for winter ice and snow driving.
  • meatballmeatball Member Posts: 1
    I have checked my owners manual on how to change the pollen filter and it says have the dealer change it. I have a 2004 Accord, can someone explain how to change it, i understand its behind the glove box?
    Thanks
  • jjaxonjjaxon Member Posts: 27
    400K huh? so how much have you spent on it to keep it running that far?? enough to buy a new car?? lol....
    so tell me..... how can a timing belt break a crankshaft?? must be a hondy phenomenon...
    so you learned hondy reputation is mostly hype ... same with tyoty... buy yourself a nice chevrolet...wake up amuricans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rcc8179rcc8179 Member Posts: 131
    The dust/pollen filter is pretty easy to replace; it takes just a few minutes.

1. Open glove box and empty the contents.
    2. Unhook the damper on the right side of the glove box.
    3. Squeeze together the side walls of the compartment to let the door go past the stops. The glove box will now pivot down and hang vertically by the two bottom hinges.
    4. Remove the filter housing--I think there is a clip on either side. It looks like a plastic panel about 2 inches tall x 10 inches wide.
    5. Remove the paper filter from the plastic housing.

The filter can be bought at the dealer's parts counter. Good luck.
  • bbtacobbtaco Member Posts: 15
    cabin filter click "installation" on the page that opens.
    Hmmmm... I think the ones that need to wake up are American car manufacturers...

We notice GM on the brink of collapse.... We notice Ford losing money and clients....

See, we -- the people -- are not stupid. Those who sit in their fancy offices in Detroit are the idiots. Idiots to a level of being CRIMINALS.

'Cause thanks to them, THOUSANDS of American workers are and will lose their jobs.
  • terence9538terence9538 Member Posts: 2
    I am still running with the same transmission and egine. I have only done scheduled maitenance.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i used timing belt/chain maintenance in general terms. i believe it was ultimately due to some tensioner issue.
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    LOL! When they make a nice one, I'll consider it.
  • ramidaramida Member Posts: 67
    "See, we -- the people -- are not stupid. Those who sit in their fancy offices in Detroit are the idiots. Idiots to a level of being CRIMINALS."

Corporate America pays hefty salaries and bonuses to CEOs, many of whom are opportunist, incompetent, and greedy. They get their huge bonuses even if their companies are losing (or not making enough) money. Pity are those naive investors who buy stocks and support the lavish lifestyle of these greedy animals.

ramida
    655 pages of 13061 entries most of which are problems with honda.. so they arent so great are they?? :):) :lemon:
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Best to ignore him.
    Yeah, you're right. They're not so great, especially when you consider how many posts are from people with Hondas from the 1980's and early 1990's...don't have to worry about that on the Chevy boards...

Sorry, isellhondas, I couldn't resist.
    People come here with problems. Those who have no problems don't come here.

Beyond that, no atter what one poster thinks, OR WISHES, the numbers are out there for anyone to see... Asian car makers are constantly on the rise, and American are constantly on the decline.

As Americans, it's not something to be happy about. It's actually SAD.

But it's a fact.
    Trying to judge a car from ONLY reading a forum on "problems" would be like trying to judge the condition of the human race by visiting ONLY the ER rooms around the country.
    yea u are right mamamia.. its sad... all the pinko commie magazines ( Consumer) and writers and tv news have tried their best to break american car makers... look what they did to the ford explorer.. honda h as many more transmission problems than any other mfg.. but u will never see it on tv or read about it any where else.. had that been a ford or gm it would have been the lead story on network news for days on end.. remember the chevrolet pickup gas tank issue?? cbs was convicted of fabricating a story on that... network news castigated chrysler mini van transmission problems... never a word on honda... get my point???
  • whitecloud1whitecloud1 Member Posts: 268
    That's enough! Haven't you heard? This is a global economy. Wherever GM finds itself is there own doing. It's a fact that when Daimler-Benz took controlling interest in Chrysler, Chrysler's Mid-level execs made more money in salary and bonuses on average than the CEO of Daimler-Benz. It's a fact that GM built in faults with their vehicles for years. It's also a fact that while GM was laying people off in the 80s their top people were driving German. Chevy has always been a good brand. Ford has always done well world-wide.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    The problems that are being faced by Ford,GM and Chrysler today had their roots back in the 1970s. During those years, they all produced very poorly made products, and when customers complained about the issues with these vehicles, the factory reps. were not very helpful. As a result of this treatment, many loyal GM, Ford and Chrysler customers when over to Honda and Toyota. Over the years, their extended family members have joined them by purchasing; --- Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Kia, Volvo, BMW and Hyundai products. If all the people in the US would go back to purchasing from the "Big Three", they would not be in trouble today! The "Big Three," would like everyone to believe, that the demands of the "unions" have put them into this financial situation, when in reality, it was their own poor management and a lack of a sound customer satisfaction program that drove customers away from them in the first place. I personally own two vehicles, ( A Ford Mustang and a Honda Accord). I think both vehicles are quality products, but I have two great dealers that I use for service. If the "Big Three" can get the American Vehicle Buying Public to come back to their line of products, and treat them in a professional manner when something is not right with the product, they can recover. But if they simply blame the "Unions" for their current state, and take no responsibility, they will be history, and it will be their own fault! ---- Best regards. ---- Dwayne :)
  • durbs68durbs68 Member Posts: 11
    I came to Honda (2 Accords) from Chevy. Owned 5 Chevys. Four were not very goods cars. I had several different problems with each. Everything from power window motors to transmissions. My 91 Lumina was the best of the Chevys I owned (built in Canada). Another family member swears by Chevy. My point is it comes down to tastes and preferences. IMO my Accords are of better quality than my Chevys were. I haven't posted on this problem forum because I haven't had a problem with my Hondas. The big 3 better wake up (Chrysler may be waking up) or the big 3 will soon be Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai. Meanwhile my dollar votes will go to Honda. The damage has been done.
  • biomanbioman Member Posts: 172
    Maybe you should try to be less emotional and look at the real situation. "all the pinko commie magazines ( Consumer) and writers and tv news have tried their best to break american car makers... look what they did to the ford explorer" Was it the media or Ford & Firestone that created the Wilderness tires that demonstrated major problems when reaching the end of their functional lives while they were run in hot climates? Was it the media or the attorneys for people who were killed or seriously injured who sued Ford & Firestone? Granted the media will frequently sensationalize an issue, but there has to be an issue there to sensationalize. Had Ford and Firestone look at the tire design instead of the bottom line, maybe the issue would never have developed. If you want to vent, vent at the corporate leaders who were responsible for the component design.

Now what about American car makers? Both of my vehicles were make in the USA. One is called a Honda Accord and the other is called a Ford Explorer. Ford and GM are American corporations who make vehicles and vehicle parts all over the world. Honda & Toyota are Japanese corporations that make vehicle and vehicle parts all over the world. The fact the Toyota and Honda are beating the pants off of GM & Ford involves complicated issues involving costs of pensions, healthcare and product design and quality. You can’t dismiss the issues with name calling. I believe we all want GM & Ford to do well because we all win when that happens. The Japanese auto makers are doing a better job producing vehicles that we want to purchase, so we purchase them. Their vehicles are not perfect, but their rate of failure is lower. I brought my Explorer back to Ford at least 8 times to correct problems and have recalls worked on. I had to bring my Honda Accord back to the dealer three times for some minor problems. I am pleased with both of my cars, but why do I feel better about my Honda? We have to learn to compete in a new, global economy. We will do that with our creativity and hard work. Of course, while doing that we will still use these forums to discuss issues involving our cars!
  • kanukanu Member Posts: 19
    Story: I have 4cyc accord 05. I really want to go to local franchise shop to have oil change, not other maintenance services. I try to avoid going to the Honda dealer because it’s far from my home/work. I plan to have oil change every 7500 miles instead of 10,000 miles per manual. I drive under normal condition (to work in Tennessee for 20 miles (one way: 30-40 minutes) : 50% highway ~75mph and 50% local ~40mph).

My questions are:

1) Can the shop uses any 5W-20 motor oil, or it must be a particular brand?

2) Should I change the oil filer for every oil change? if so, what is the brand that Honda uses?

Thank you,
    Use any oil that meets the requirements taht Honda has in your owner's manual.

Change the oil filter every oil change. It's cheap. No point in not doing it.
    This forum is for Honda Accord Owners Problems and Solutions. Please confine your posts directly to issues related to solving problems on these cars, okay?

Off-topic posts *WILL* be removed in the future so as to keep the forum's direction as intended.

There are a LOT of discussion on global economy, Big Three, Consumer Reports, etc. in the News & Views Message Board. Please join those if you wish.

Thanks!

MrShiftright
    Host
  • haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    "Should I change the oil filer for every oil change? if so, what is the brand that Honda uses?"

I agree 100% with altair4's response. As to oil filters, Honda dealers will install a "Honda" brand oil filter. Most of the Honda dealers in the U.S. and Canada use a Canadian made filter from a plant operated by FRAM and distributed under the "Honda" brand name. These filters are NOT identical in appearance to their FRAM-branded equivalents on sale at parts stores and mass merchandisers, but they do share similar construction. (You really have to hunt to find the much better made Japanese "Honda" filters anymore, though some dealers will order them for you.) There's nothing wrong with the Canadian "FRAM" Honda filters, but you can get better quality for much less $$$$$ with the "Purolator" brand equivalent. As to oil brand from Honda dealers, their parts departments stock and will sell you "Honda" brand motor oil in quart bottles. ExxonMobil is the actual blender and bottler of "Honda" motor oil. If you were to buy Mobil Clean 5000 or Exxon Superflow in 5W-20 viscosity, you'd be getting the same oil but in different quart bottles. (As it is, with Honda as the middleman, guess what that translates to in the final dealer pricing markup?...) That's not necessarily what dealers put into your car in the service bays, though. Most dealers of any size have bulk drums delivered by a jobber. It's metered out by pump to your car through a nozzle - cheaper for the dealer (not you), less mess, and no plastic bottles to contend with for proper environmental disposal. (Empty bulk drums are cleaned and refilled and the jobber handles the return at the time he delivers another full drum.) The oil inside the drum will be one of a number of name-brands, so is very good quality. (When a car dealer buys wholesale by the 40 gallon drum, the actual price per quart only works out to around 50 cents. You, of course, will be charged around $2.50/quart. Ask me what I think of car dealerships.) If you buy your own oil, as long as it states it meets API "SM" and ILSAC "GF-4", and is 5W-20 viscosity, you're good to go for warranty purposes regardless of brand or price paid. Just keep your receipts and a hand-written log if you do your own oil and filter changes. Given that 50% of your daily driving is city, I'd be more inclined to change oil and filter every 5,000 miles. (Forgive my freely admitted skepticism, but I'd find it a very novel experience, indeed, to be able to average 40 mph through city environs - legally, anyway. ;))
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    My Honda dealer uses Chevron motor oil. Previously they'd used Castrol. Like most anything else, it's probably whatever they can get the best deal on.

I have two nearby Toyota dealerships. One uses Kendall, the other uses Valvoline.

So much for servicing with 'genuine' Honda and Toyota products. It's odd that the service department would use something different than what their parts shops stock, which is only the company labeled product. Go figure.
  • dtroydtroy Member Posts: 6
    The problem I have with the big 3 is they refuse to make a quality 4 cyl. car. Simply because of profit margins. Young people are apt to buy 4 cyl. because of economics. If you think 4 cyl. you think Corolla or Civic. Once you've lost a market it's hard to bring them back.
  • paulhairepaulhaire Member Posts: 3
    It was the speed sensor. Took it to the Honda dealer and cost about $220. Part number 78410-sv4-003 ($122.03) Labor $96.88. I was in at 7:30am and out by 9:15. Not too bad.
  • kanukanu Member Posts: 19
    To heafr,
    Wow! Thank a lot. You're right, there is no ground for 40mph. If I change oil filter every 5000 miles, I can use any FRAM filter that the shop has.
    Thanks for the update...
    Just wondering whether it was you telling the mechanic what's wrong and needs to be replaces (based on my suggestion) or if he came up with that solution.
    Since paulhaire dealt with a Honda dealership's service department, probably a little of both. I imagine the tech verified the problem by pulling the fault code(s) with the scan tool.
  • hondanhondan Member Posts: 1
    Alnero,
    I was wondering if you resolved the problem, as I had a similar experience with my son's '91 Accord today, and found your post on this forum. We adjusted the valves, replaced the cap, rotor, and plugs. Now, there is no spark. We have 12V to the coil. Earlier symptom he described was that when he hit the brakes, all the lights went dim. Also, the car has been hard starting, or only firing while the starter is engaged. I'm wondering if bringing the car into a warm shop amplified a short somewhere...? Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
    Funked out in SD,
    Hondan
  • ttbttb Member Posts: 40
    Dear All:
    What should I use to lub the weather stripping and window run channel?
    They're kind of hardened now in the cold weather. The plastic and rubber Honda used is getting cheaper and cheaper. I'm hoping lubricating these plus foam tape in the run channel will ease the rattling.
    Thanks.
    TTB
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    The title of this forum Honda Accord Owners: Problems & Solutions really needs revision. With over thirteen thousand posts, there are too many generations of Accords being discussed here now. There are probably not too many seventh generation (2003-2006) Accord owners who want to read about problems and solutions for Hondas built in the 70's, 80's or early 90's and vice versa.

Since most members want to read posts related to their own generations of vehicles, and since the eighth generation Accords are scheduled to be the 2008's, I suggest that this be split into two forums, namely:

Honda Accord: 1976 though 1997: Owner Problems & Solutions
    and
    Honda Accord: 1998 through 2007: Owner Problems & Solutions
    Undiluted glycerin works fine and is non-toxic.
    Okay, let me think about how/if we might do this. Thanks very much for the suggestion. I will pass it along and follow up on it. Why are you breaking it at 1998 BTW?

Shifty the Host
    I think the idea is great, but a better split, in my opinion, would be:

Honda Accord: 1976 through 2002: Owner Problems & Solutions

Honda Accord: 2003 through 2006: Owner Problems & Solutions

ramida
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    I think people want to see the historical problems from the 90s included with the current Accord form. I liked the earlier split better -

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I think there's something wrong with this car -- a strange gas pedal vibration, and engine sound not smooth while gas pedal vibration is felt. It happened on my way home from a Christmas party last night. Odometer reading is only 420!

I didn't feel the gas pedal vibration today.

I did some search on this forum and found similar occurences! I wonder if this is a defect that needs to be addressed by Honda.

Frustrated, ramida

P.S. In a previous post, I mentioned that I had problem merging in a short-ramp fast freeway with this automatic transmission. After reading the manual, I found out that with the D3, 2 and 1 gears, I can drive this car as if I have a stick shift! Now I have no problem merging when I start with the D3 gear and then at the right moment shift to D. Awesome! On slow sharp turn with uphill drive, the "2" gear is my friend! I don't feel any lugging anymore, even if I carry a full load (family of 5!).