Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Diesel oil

tlw3tlw3 Member Posts: 1
I've got a 2000 F-250SD and am wondering what type
of oil to use. The manual calls for a 15W40. The
problem I'm having is I can't find the correct API
starburst rating on any oil in say Autozone or
Advance. Do I have to go back to the Ford dealer
just to buy oil? Can anyone steer me in the right
direction? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    You can get the 15w40 from NAPA,it is designated as 15w40 fleet oil.Also,it is available at Chevron as Delo 400 15w40.These are the only 2 oils I use in diesels and they meet all manufacturers specifications.Hope ths helps.
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    and Checker and WalMart and Napa and PepBoys....

All have diesel oil. Shell Rotella, Valvoline Blue (Cummins), Chevron Delo, AutoZone, WalMart, and Pepboys have a house brand too. IMHO the house brands are just as good. Most all of these oils come typically in 1 gallon jugs. I'd continue to use Motorcraft oil filters.....

Ask the parts guy. DO NOT RUN SI oil only!

from an EX Ford diesel owner....
  • Options
    ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    i didn't realize there was a difference in between oil you used in diesels and in gasoline engines.

what is it? is it a different addpack? or something i'm not thinking of?

-Chris
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Zinc and higher TBN (Total Base Number, I think). TBN buffers the acids formed from burning diesel fuel which contains sulfer. Also lots of dispersants which keep all the carbon from depositing on parts... it's what makes the oil in diesels turn black so quickly.

Run what the truckers run is my advice. A recent Road and Track or Car and Driver editorial mentioned that diesel oils are actually best oil for old muscle cars too. I run diesel oil in all my air cooled four stroke motors......
  • Options
    0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Oils designed for diesels have "extreme pressure"(EP) additives and different lubricant properties because of the lack of lubricating ability in the diesel fuel.My prefered oil for most of my vehicles is Chevron Delo 400 15w40.In other stores it is often called "Fleet 15w40.Any oil that meets or exceeds Caterpillar's specifications has gone thru tons of research and testing to meet CATs stringent specs.
This discussion has been closed.