Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• niceputtniceputt Member Posts: 23
    Am about to pick up my new LS430 and found out that the Sat Radio antenna is a black box about 5" long and 2 inches high that mounts on the trunk lid. Does anyone know if a dealership somewhere has developed a less obtrusive way to install this antenna? Thanks.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    See my response this date under "Lexus LS".
  • dwatexasdwatexas Member Posts: 1
    I own a 97 LS 400 and would need to replace the passenger side headlight, but it looks somewhat difficult. Can anyone guide me?
  • rjbusenitzrjbusenitz Member Posts: 13
    I've got a '90 that had the same problem. Look at msg #27 for instructions on how to remove the unit. I believe it is the same for '93. It actually is pretty easy, I've done it several times. The first time is a little hard because you don't want to break anything, but just follow the directions and you won't have a problem. You can order the lights from irontoad.com. They have a lot of good stuff for Lexus' at a good price. If your display goes bad, you can order a new lcd screen from a variety of places. They can then solder the screen in place for a small fee. Total cost being anywhere from $200-$300. Check ebay for that. Good luck.
  • randomthoughtrandomthought Member Posts: 8
    I just purchased a 2004 LS430. One interesting thing I noticed was that the left front headlight projects a little bit lower than the right headlight. This is sort of distracting as you can see the light on the left stop several feet before the light on the right side. You get a stair step effect in front of the car as you glance from left to right. Is this normal (in that the left side is lowered to project less in the eyes of oncoming traffic) or is it something I can get adjusted at the service center? Anyone else seen this?
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Hi all,
      That headlight issue is interesting. The headlights are supposed to be autoleveling. I think they still can be adjusted manually. The Lexus dealer shouldn't charge you for that as it is a warranty job. Does your car have those headlights that move with the car? (The RX does)
      As for the climate control. The bulbs on my 92 LS were replaced by the dealer, and when the screen started to leak they replaced it with a rebuilt unit for $325. It was from Mikando (sp?) an outfit in California.

SV
  • cornel45cornel45 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 91 LS400 with 214k miles, looks and runs like new. The check engine light came on, I took it to my mechanic and his diagnostic machine gave a code for EGR system. He reset the computer and after two days the check engine light came on again.
     Can anyone tell me how to check my EGR valve and the EGR modulator to see if one of those need replacing?
    Also, would the code for the EGR system come on if i need a new oxygen sensor? are they connected somehow?
    Thanks
  • gitarzzgitarzz Member Posts: 5
    I recently bought an LS430 with Ecru (off-white) leather. In a few weeks the driver's seat is really showing dirt. I bought Meguire's(sp?) Leather cleaner and conditioner to clean it, and it didn't help at all.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
  • sploguesplogue Member Posts: 53
    Someone here posted a good way to clean leather. Woolite mixed with water. I think it was 1 part Woolite, 10 parts water.

I've been meaning to try it as my driver side ecru seat looks a little blue at the bottom of the seat back. This was caused by blue jeans after a rainstorm, I think.

Sean
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    Lexus puts a tag on new vehicles that reads:
    "HOW TO REMOVE DIRT"
    l. Remove dirt using a soft clean cloth dampened with 5% solution of neutral detergent for wool.
    2. Wipe off traces of detergent with a clean damp cloth.
    3. Wipe off moisture with a dry soft cloth, then allow to dry in a ventilated shaded area.
    NOTE: If a stain should fail to come out with a neutral detergent, apply a cleaner without containing an organic solvent.
    Notice: When removing stains of dirt. Do not use solvents such as thinner, gasoline, or acid or alkaline solution, as these may cause discoloration and/or staining." (end of quote)
    I had a stain from my brown belt and was never really able to get it to completely clean up to my satisfaction. I keep my driver's seat covered with a bath sheet. This helps to keep the leather clean and increases the air circulation of the seat air flow.
  • pj2323pj2323 Member Posts: 43
    where is this filter located?
  • paul29paul29 Member Posts: 178
    Fuel filter is located just ahead of the drivers side rear wheel , inside the subframe.
  • 19331933 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had this problem? With the 2004 LS 430 When pressing down the accelerator to pass are speedup the car has a hesitation before the acceleration kicks in. It's feels like several seconds before the car moves. I only have about 1500 miles on this car. Dealer say's something about this cars acceleration works off of a computer program instead of the regular cable system. I told him they better reprogram that dam computer. Any input would be appreciated.
  • bambam Member Posts: 5
    I have the opportunity to purchase a ’99 LS400 with 93,000 miles. The previous (original owner) was meticulous with maintenance, so I am not worried about it’s past. I took it for one test drive and now I am obsessed. I have never owned a Lexus and I just want to know if there are any “common” problems, seems like an oxymoron asking about problems on a Lexus, just want to know what I am getting in to? Any help is very much appreciated – Thank you.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    All problems associated with the Lexus LS are uncommon.
    So I can look for another 100,000 miles that are pretty much trouble free?

Are there any common maintenance items that need to be taken care of in the 100's?
    Maybe 300,000 miles! What does go wrong, leaking gas tanks, air condition failures, etc., are uncommon.
  • dbc123dbc123 Member Posts: 105
    Acutually there are several common problems with 99 LS 400's (I have one). The radio display and frequently the climate control display go bad. They start by having missing segments in the display. The cold cathode indicator needles in the instruments go bad with time. Both of these items are very costly. The hood struts fail ($87 each). Power steering pumps leak and, if not caught in time, also destroy the alternator that sits directly under it. Your cam belt would be due for replacment at 90K and is rather expensive. These are very reliable cars but they are not perfect!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The SAE has just published a white paper that states that J D Power says that "Windshield and Window fogging" is the second most common vehicular complaint, and the paper goes on to state that vehicles of Japanese manufacture seem to have a greater propensity for this due to the uniqueness of their HVAC design approach, allowing more recirculated airflow.
    Frankly, I'm surprised, but normally lease anyway, so I probably wouldn't be affected, I guess.
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    That's the way they work. Numerous posts on this over the years, and I forget all the technical details why. Mine is an '01, and i thought the six-speed transmission might be different, but I guess not. They still get up and go, even without forcing a downshift.
  • zdudezdude Member Posts: 22
    I've had this problem myself in my '04 LS430. I think it is the transmission guessing where to downshift. I've had this in my BWM, it might be something to do with drive-by-wire. A trick I use is to quickly punch the gas pedal let off slightly and stick it again. Seems to respond a lot faster this way. I am taking my car in next month for normal service and I was going to mention this to the service manager to see if there is a fix.
    If you go to WOT throttle and the engine should go to high torque instantly the transmission clutches will undoubtedly endure a short duration of severe slippage and the resultant wear as it downshifts due to WOT.

With e-throttle it makes a lot of sense with respect to long term relaibility to delay engine high torque while/until the transmission downshifts.
    Hi All,
      Some of what is listed about the LS long term issues are true. I have a 1992 with 89K miles so let me give you my experience..

1) Timing Belt replacement is standard at 90K..Virtually every car needs this. The 90K service for my car was $1500, but that included a full 90K service, timing belt, water pump and Power steering pump replacement.
    2) As far as the Power Steering Pump goes, just remember to Change the Fluid frequently. I hadn't done it in 8 1/2 yrs, so I was asking for trouble. I'm quite meticulous with maintenance but this somehow got by me.
    3) I haven't had any issues with hood struts. A 1998 LS that I owned briefly did have this issue, but that was discovered on my initial test drive of the car (It was a Certified car with 24K on it back in 2001)
    4) I did replace the climate control system unit on my 92. It was about $350 installed. They put in a rebuilt unit.
    5) The car was involved in a major accident with damage totalling $7,500. The whole left front Suspension was replaced, engine mounts,coolant container. A short time later, the Cathode needles burnt out on the Tach. The dealer says this is uncommon at this mileage, as I've seen older LS cars with 150K plus that don't have this issue. They postulate the vibration damage may have something to do with this. Expected replacement cost ($900) though it may be possible to repair it for about $400-500.

In my 12 years of ownership, I've spent something around $3500 in maintenance. That includes all the issues stated above. The Lexus LS 400 is the most reliable luxury car out there. Keep in mind, that maintenance on a car with a 59K MSRP will be expensive. Repairs will be relatively infrequent, but expensive when they do occur.

I hope this helps,
    SV
    Thank you for that involved response, just what I was looking for. My brain knows it will be a reliable vehicle but my wallet wants to disagree. The previous owner (original) has had every scheduled maintenance done, even the 90K. So its past does not worry me, I just wanted to know some of the expectations on a higher mileage Lexus. I believe I will be taking the plunge. I am not a new car every year person, so I will be keeping this one for at least another 100K. What an amazing automobile!

By the way, anyone know just how much life there is in this engine? 200-300K?
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    The Lexus sales guy I have talked to say it is build to go 500,000 miles....

I think it would be safe to cut that number in half to get a real figure.
    Thank you for that involved response, just what I was looking for. My brain knows it will be a reliable vehicle but my wallet wants to disagree. The previous owner (original) has had every scheduled maintenance done, even the 90K. So its past does not worry me, I just wanted to know some of the expectations on a higher mileage Lexus. I believe I will be taking the plunge. I am not a new car every year person, so I will be keeping this one for at least another 100K. What an amazing automobile!

By the way, anyone know just how much life there is in this engine? 200-300K?
  • svenunderstadsvenunderstad Member Posts: 2
    First let me say that I am very happy to have found this fine forum!

I own an 1990 LS 400 - pearl white and blue leather interior, 166,000 miles. This car was "Doctor Driven" in Minnesota by my uncle and sold to me for a song a few years ago - then transplanted to the West coast.

Fuel efficiency is 18/22, with a lot of pep on tap with the V8. I especially love the conservative 'stealth luxury' styling... there are far too many Mercedes and BMW drivers here in the Bay Area. ;)

I met a fellow Lexus owner (same year and color) and asked him: 'any problems?' He quipped: 'yeah, I have to fill the tank with gas'.

There's been more than that for me. I've had a few repairs and have a few more coming, no doubt. I love this car enough to keep paying maintenance fees from time to time as necessary to cross the 250K line in style.

I consider myself a lifetime Lexus owner, and look forward to learning more about the recent and emerging developments in the premier LS series.

Diary:

2002:

-Acquired car (126K miles)

-Small paint chipping on white bumper shows ugly yellowing primer beneath (unsure how to stop or paint)

-Strange noises from the air control servos at times (very light motor noise)

-Stereo: LCD goes off about 2 times a year - turning interior lights off then on fixes this. OEM replacement antenna makes loud noise in trunk when stereo comes on, rear speakers are out, sub still works.

-Seat issues: Heated seat on driver's side is at about 25%, and one spring is a little loose under the leather. Seat memory doesn't work. One motor in driver's side front seat doesn't work, disabling one axis of tilt without angling the seat.

-A/C Doesn't Cool
        -Lexus dealer estimate: $2700
        -Local repair shop estimate: $400-800
        -Not yet fixed - using local shop

2004:

-Car made funny noises at low speed turning
        -New struts / suspension work (155K) - $2,000

-Front panel under bumper is hanging down a bit
        -Not yet fixed

-Failed Califonia Smog - NOX - GROSS POLLUTER
        -Local repair shop estimate: $???
        -Saw a thread on here about this $400-800

-Have some very minor dents, was thinking about paintless dent removal. Can't imagine owning a more expensive car, how much those little dings would have bothered me, but at $5K for this fine Lex, I just shrug it off.

---

My uncle took care of the car, but Minnesota was harsh on it. For example, the E-Brake had been basically rusted shut - now fixed. The Lexus is doing well here in California, but I've been replacing some pretty big parts. Sounds like this is par for the course.

Regarding the A/C. I don't trust the Lexus dealership because they quoted me an OUTRAGEOUS quote to fix this and wouldn't budge. The thought of paying 1/3 what I paid for the car to get A/C back really chapped my hide.

But what really did it was the young salesman, who did the whole "are you sitting down?" routine with me when I asked for the bottom line.

My Lexus is very reliable, and always gets me from Point A to B in speed, style and comfort. A fine stereo compliments the quiet interior. great tunes in its quiet interior. I now compliment the stock 6-CD player and now use a mini iPod which is stored in the glovebox. 1000 songs on tap.... beats poppin' the trunk to change the CDs. ;)

Thanks again for the community, looking forward to adding my $0.02

-"sven"
  • 48104810 Member Posts: 1
    Help! I have no power after about 2000 rpm, but if I accelerate slowly the engine would get up to speed, I have changed the TPS with no change, engine light is on and off. Also dashboard light gauges dont come on, flickers on and off. Car is 1994 LS400.
    Read the error code the computer is throwing, you'll find some subcomponent that is going up and down, like an 02 sensor or something. Auto Zone can help.
  • crowbait1crowbait1 Member Posts: 15
    Just to contribute to the "what to expect" thread: Over the last 4 years I've put 100K miles on a 92LS I bought with a little over 100K on it. Beyond normal wear and tear items this car has been very reliable. I replaced the A/C (not uncommon for any car of this age) and had a few minor electrical issues, all with well-known fixes either in the connectors under the rear seat or in the trunk hinge wiring. There are a few petty annoyances like a leaking time / temp LCD that I decided to live with and a very, very slowly "weeping" power steering pump that has responded well to a periodic flush and top up. I have been so pleased with this vehicle that I just purchased a '98 with, yes you guessed, it 100K, and look forward to doing it all over again. One added thought - four years ago for the same money I could have purchased a two or three-year-old minivan or a brand new Chevy Cavalier (yipee). All in, either would have cost me as much or more to own than my LS. The LS is a great car, as or more reliable at 100K than most cars are brand new.
  • macbeansmacbeans Member Posts: 1
    My 1998 LS400 w/95K miles has been meticulously maintained from day one. The ride feels "rougher" than normal- especially when fully loaded. Car has been driven about 50-50 highway/city miles. How many miles can I expect to get from struts/shocks etc?
    Hi Macbeans,
      I had to replace my strut inserts around 78K on my 92 LS400. I think the Suspension on this car allows for the replacement of the insert rather than the whole entire strut. It was about 1.5 hrs of Labor for each one, and the total charge was $325 for rear replacement at the Lexus dealer. Hope this helps

SV
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    It seems to me that the driver's seat bottom cushion on my '01 LS430 has gotten harder over time. I don't think it's my imagination, because my wife has complained about it, too. Has anyone else noticed this? Has anyone tried to do anything about it? I recently sat in an '04, though, and it seemed about the same. Confusing.
    Or as we grow older our bottoms get "softer".
    I have one front strut that goes down when the car isn't on, the rest are fine. Any experience on replacement options, or recommendations would be helpful. Are there any aftermarket units that would be cheaper than the Toyota parts? My dealer is quoting me $1000 per corner. 91 LS 400.
    130,000 miles.
    Nvbanker,
      Is it possible to have an non-Lexus shop do it for you? The Lexus dealers charge outrageous labor rates, and I suspect you'd be able to get the parts fairly cheaply at www.irontoad.com. I believe they're a Lexus dealer in the Carolinas that sells genuine parts at discounted prices. I've used them in the past, and they are pretty prompt with getting back to you.

How is your LS treating you? My 92 just hit 90K. I've been entertaining some thoughts of replacing it (it's my second car), but hesitate to do so. The build quality of this car is better than anything I see out there today.

SV
    The leak turned out to be a hose/line, not the strut, so I dodged the bullet this time. I've been putting a lot of money into it lately - I'm thinking it's time to upgrade. It's a fine car, and the best looking of the model, IMO. But lots of things are wearing out now.
  • svenunderstadsvenunderstad Member Posts: 2
    Passenger door lock failed today. Had to exit car through passenger side. Lock partially unlocks, will not unlock all the way.

Failed California smog as a Gross Polluter. Mechanic (heretoforth trusted) replaces two catalytic converters - smog actually got WORSE - all for $1000.

Now searching for a new mechanic... (sigh) ....
    The computer isn't throwing a code?
  • dealerfloridadealerflorida Member Posts: 50
    My Bud has a 1993 LS 400 with the fluorescent lights flickering, dash is now dark. It would be shame to change the whole unit!, is it needed to change the whole cluster? Does any one know of a rebuilt unit being available? (Like Mikado, for the climate controls!).
    I would think a junk yard unit (like wwest put in) is very risky (Who knows age and it if will last!) to purchase and install.
    A new unit (Just put in a request @ irontoad.com for price) is possibly a small fortune.

Is there a fuse or loose wire here, or a dead dash ? please advise.
    Also, if I need a new whole cluster is it a complicated unit for me to install myself?

Thank you , Sheldon
  • lex-pertlex-pert Member Posts: 1
    Hello Sheldon. The flickering dash light (instrument cluster) problem is very common on the 93/94 LS400 cars. I know because I have one!

Mine was doing that a couple years ago so I took it to the dealer. They wanted $1400 to replace the circuit boards that are contained in the instrument cluster. They also wanted several hundred to then correct the odometer to reflect the true mileage. The mileage is stored on a chip on one of those circuit boards.

Well, I went home and thought about it. I decided to just live with the problem. Then the problems began to get worse and other things began to fail. The fuel gauge was at first inaccurate then just quit operating altogether. Other lights on the center console began failing as well. The speedometer was working but you couldn't see it. After my wife ran out of gas, and then got a speeding ticket, I decided to have a look at it myself.

I'm an electronics engineer by trade, so I decided that I was determined to find and fix this problem on my own car then offer help to others with similar problems.

Well, I did just that. I have now repaired hundreds of these from all over the world!!!

It is not a simple fix that I can tell you to replace this or that part and it's cured. It's just not that simple. There are a number of things that can and do go wrong on the circuit boards and cause several different symptoms. The most common symptom is the blinking needles and back-lighting on the instrument cluster. Second most common is the fuel gauge not working or not accurate.

I have compiled an informational email that tells you exactly how to remove the instrument cluster from the car and then how to remove the circuit boards from the instrument cluster. I also have a more comprehensive description of all the symptoms. Last, but not least, I have information on how someone can get those circuit boards repaired.

If you will Email me at jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net I'll email you all that information.

Jim Walker
  • kimsingerkimsinger Member Posts: 12
    I would like to ask if you ever solved this idle problem because my 1995 LS has the same issue. It's fine on short journeys, but anything over around 30 or so miles at highway speeds and it's likely to stall when you lift off the gas pedal. It restarts fine and otherwise runs great. Any comments please?
    Forgive me if this has been covered before. (I searched but couldn't find anything helpful.)

My 1995 LS400 runs great on short trips, but it does have a tendency to stall after it's been driven for more than 30 miles or so at highway speeds. It re-starts OK, but will continue to stall thereafter if you lift off the gas at speed and thereby allow the revs to drop right down.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be delighted to hear them. Thanks.
    Thanks for the spam tip, aggie76, but I thought my email address was designated as "private" for the purposes of this forum. Am I wrong about that, or are you referring to an old post?
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Sorry, meant to reply to "lex-pert" on his post about the dash lights flickering and responded to the wrong e-mail. My error in not reading closer.
    Hi All,
      The Lexus dealer informed my that the Strut Bushings on my 92 are cracked and need replacement. They quoted $550 for the repair. I'm not familiar at all with suspensions, but will they be able to replace the shocks at the same time? Given the age of the car, they're probably due for replacement as well. Also the prices for the shock inserts are reasonable at $63 a piece.

SV
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Posting your email address is not a good idea on a public message board as the spybots that troll through will pick it up and you will most likely begin receiving spam email. As only Town Hall members can access other member profiles, you can make your email address public and then reference members to check your profile for your address. If you wish, you can always delete your post and re-post without the address.

If you have any questions/concerns, please let me know via email. Check my profile. :-)
  • dealerfloridadealerflorida Member Posts: 50
    Removed cluster, took less than 30 min. Very few screws, a little tricky with removal of wire connectors (particularly due to broken tilt steering column which did not allow wheel to move out of way!). Sent unit out to repair for under $300 arrived back today, in same week and I will install by weeks end. Will follow up on how it goes. Most handy persons could do this repair by themselves, rebuilder in CA. is very helpful and always available to answer my questions, so far so good!
    Sheldon