Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    Seems like the device that see's objects had some dirt on it....and the rain washed it away.
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    Our '05 LS430 is not quite 3 months old, and I don't think the ASL (automatic sound leveling) is working and never did.

When driving thru our neighborhood at 30 mph with volume at a reasonable level, then hit the interstate at 70mph, we have to manually increase the volume in order to hear the sound well. This applies to CD and radio.

We have the Premium Pkge (so no Mark Levinson system) and I'm wondering if ASL only works if the ML sound system is installed.

I've searched all the Lexus forums under "ASL" and have not found much information.

Any ideas, anyone?
  • flkeyflkey Member Posts: 11
    '03 LS430 STD. OR Premium model does not work,
    dealer unable to fix, so noted in Lexus surveys of quality control. One fine automobile, but still persuing perfection.
  • paulrlpaulrl Member Posts: 11
    My 2005 LS430 with premium package and 18" rim pick up only one day from dealer shaking very bad
    Next day went back to dealer asking them to change to 17"rim
    Now drive a lot better .But still drive not smoot,small vibration at steering wheel
    Any suggestion? Michelin MXV4 will help? or should i change to a thicker tires[my tires was dunlop 5000m 225/55/R17]
    please help PAUL.
    paul
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    The LS is very sensitive to wheel balance. Make sure that your Dunlap tires are balanced with a Hunter sheel balancer--preferrable a load-baring Hunter. Most drivers like the ride of the Dunlaps. Another issue would be whether the 17" wheel/tire comb was mounted on a car that had been sitting on the lot. The tires can flat-stop. This will disappear after about 10 miles of driving.
  • gwendolyngwendolyn Member Posts: 46
    Thanks for the feedback!!! I did purchase the '97 ls 400 with a flaw. The power steering pump is starting to whine. The dealer has agreed to repair for $500.00 including labor, it the pump goes in 6 months. Other than that, my mechanic could not find anything wrong with the car...As a matter of fact I paid them twice to check the car out...it's in showroom condition...couldn't believe an 8 year old car was in such excellent condition.

Guess I'd better start budgeting for those expensive repairs that can go wrong.

By the way does anyone have experience with the power steering pump? Once it starts whining, how long does it take to go bad. I check my garage daily for leeks...so far, it is not leaking.
    Gwen:

Don't Forget to check with your dealer to be sure the timing belt has been changed. If not you might want to have everything done at once.

I bet your car still feels nice and solid ...they are great cars and the 400 is the one most people think is the best looking LS ...and ...the most bullet proof.......Good luck.
    I did purchase the '97 ls 400 with a flaw. The power steering pump is starting to whine. The dealer has agreed to repair for $500.00 including labor, it the pump goes in 6 months.

gwendolyn, Our son now drives our '98 Toyota Avalon with 95k miles on it and the power steering pump began leaking fluid a month ago. IMHO the Avalon and LS are first cousins from the same 'generation' (same gene pool, etc.) so I'm not surprised to see the power steering is going out.

Check the Toyota Avalon forums here on the Edmunds site for more information. You can search for "power steering" and see the discussions. $500 for a PSPump replacement is a darned good price from a Lexus dealer, based on the quotes over on the Avalon forum.
    Phil,

Thanks for your reply!!!

The Lexus dealer performed the 90k mile service (@ 101,600k miles, I have the records),before I purchased the car, which included the timing belt and a host of other things.

My concern now is the power steering pump. It's not leaking, just whining. Should I wait for it to leak before repairing or repair now..don't want to damage the alternator.
    Thanks for your reply. You guys are great replying and I really appreciate that. My power steering pump is not leaking just whining. I'm told that it's going to go, but no one can tell me when..should I wait for it to leak or repair now. If I repair before it leaks, I will have to pay full price instead of the $500.00 What do you think? Also, do not want to damage my alternator.

Thanks again!!!
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ... power steering fluid flush, and clean out the two filters that are in the system: one is in the reservoir, and second on on the rack itself.

That might cure the whine and buy you quite a lot of further service from the existing pump.
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Gwendolyn,
    You can get that pump resealed. Lexus I'm told does sell a reseal kit for that pump should it leak. As advised get the P/S fluid flushed. I made the mistake of not changing the fluid on my 92 (They said it was "lifetime" fluid..) and paid the price for a new pump. ($725).

A few more things to consider: Suspension bushings and strut inserts. The strut inserts are usually worn by that mileage and require replacement. ($325 a pair). Also the dash cluster needles may begin to burn out.

The board rules prevent me from giving you the specific address of the repair guy but you can google search for dashusa.com or mikando engineering. The dealer will say they need to replace the whole cluster, but you can get it fixed for about ($350). The LCD's on the radio and climate control unit may go bad as well. You can get these repaired too for a few hundred each instead of a costly replacement.

Otherwise there isn't much that needs tending to. Just keep up with frequent fluid changes and you should be fine. There is some debate over whether synthetic oil would be better, but frequent oil changes should be fine. Also use Chevron Techron every other oil change to keep your injectors clean. If Lexus hasn't done it already, get a bottle of BG 44K fuel treatment to really clean things out.

SV
    few more things to consider: Suspension bushings and strut inserts. The strut inserts are usually worn by that mileage and require replacement

Ditto on that, too. Another topic on the Avalon forum when they reach 90-100k miles.

gwendolyn, you might want to have the P/S looked at and just get diagnosis and a cost estimate. Then you'll know exactly what you're dealing with.

My last volvo made a groaning noise and finally went out less than 6 months after the warranty ran out. I think it was rack & pinion? Can't remember, because I told the dealer to check my files on their computer, that I had complained about the noise for a year before the warranty ran out. They fixed it for free, but they said it was an expensive repair. (They were as wonderful as any Lexus dealer is reputed to be.)
    Thansk for the response....will resealing the pump actually stop it from whining. It's not leaking...I check the garage floor each morning. How will I know when to replace the ps pump, before damaging the alternator? How long can I drive the car like this...will I experience any other symptons when the pump is getting ready to go? Can I drive the car long distgance now with the ps pump whine?
    Q45man....ps pump issues....97 ls400, ps pump is not leaking but whining. When would you repair? I check for leaks daily, non so far. Would you drive long distance? Also, can you estimate the cost to replace...also, I was told if I resealed the pump, the whining would go way...Your opinion please...Thanks...
  • sirdarby1sirdarby1 Member Posts: 36
    Believe it or not, when I took it into the Lexus Dealer, they told me the warranty was from a reputable company and they logged the info. on file for future reference. Said they were dependable.
  • michaelobmichaelob Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2004 LS430. The dealership reloaded new software but the problem is still there. The dealership has given up and have asked Lexus to look at the problem. The guy from Lexus is proving impossible to see - I think I could get an audience with the Pope before I see the man from Lexus.

The problem is so bad it makes passengers travel sick. So I do not use the car. It has just been sitting in my garage for over two months. So much for Lexus "service".These people seem to forget who ultimately pays their wages.
  • sleepmakersleepmaker Member Posts: 5
    I purchased a 1995 LS400 this weekend, 64k, drove great immaculate overall condition and drove beautifully this weekend on an extended evaluation. Two days after purchasing the vehicle, I noticed a severe clunking/shudder from what I suspect is the drivetrain. This occurred only after the car had been off for several hours and only when I accelerated briefly then let off the gas. I was able to duplicate the shutter/clunking again with the same type of quick acceleration then letting off the gas. After driving the car for a few miles the shutter/clunking could not be reproduced. The clunking sound/vibration seemed to be coming from the drivetrain area about at the level of the firewall. The transmission shifts flawlessly now (and during the test drive). Does anyone have a opinion as to the cause of this? Drivetrain or transmission?

Also, as seems is usual the radio's LCD is out but I found a shop here in the Atlanta area that will remove the radio and fix the LCD and replace the radio while I wait (promised 1hr). Price $225. Will pass on the info for anyone in the Atlanta area who is interested.
    Thanks for any help with the shutter problem
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Make sure the e-brake cable isn't binding in a way that the e-brake is applied.
  • lexdoglexdog Member Posts: 1
    1992 LEXUS LS400 HARD TO TURN!I'VE REPLACED THE P/S PUMP,FLUSHED THE SYSTEM AND NOTICED NO FLOW IN THE RESERVOIR,TURNED THE STEERING WHEEL ALOT AND FINALLY GOT SOME FLOW,BUT STILL HARD TO TURN ANYONE WITH A SOLUTION OUT THERE??????? r.b.mickelson@worldnet.att.net
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    One is in the reservoir, the other one on the rack. If clogged, flushing the system won't help. They need to be cleaned or replaced if necessary.
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Having experienced the slight hesitation in my 04 LS 430 and reading in many places that it was inherent, part of the LS experience etc. I then came across a posting that told of a tech bulletin TSB TC006-04 for this symptom. I decided to stop in to my dealer today and he gladly performed this "computer download" to adjust the shifting. I drove home and found the car noticably crisper in accelerating and that annoying microscopic but perceptible pause seemed like it was gone. The power of information. Keep up the good work everyone.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    This is good to hear. I test drove a 2004 LS 430 2 weeks ago and was really turned off by the hesitation in acceleration.
    I eliminated this vehicle from my short list because of it.
    I have now put the LS back on my list since if I have such a problem in the future, I now know about TSB TC006-04.
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Yes, apparently this effects all 04's and some 05's. It isn't a big enough deal for a recall as most people don't seem to notice or mind. If you noticed it then it's a quick upgrade via computer download.
    I am attempting to test drive another LS at a different dealership just to see how widespread this problem is.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    [Also posted on the Lexus LS board]

"Having experienced the slight hesitation in my 04 LS 430 and reading in many places that it was inherent, part of the LS experience etc. I then came across a posting that told of a tech bulletin TSB TC006-04 for this symptom. I decided to stop in to my dealer today and he gladly performed this "computer download" to adjust the shifting. I drove home and found the car noticably crisper in accelerating and that annoying microscopic but perceptible pause seemed like it was gone. The power of information. Keep up the good work everyone."

I guess I can take credit for this one (see my posts in LS: Problems and Solutions #1416 on 2/15; Lexus LS #7168 on 3/9). Now even Bimmer-owners can enjoy the LS experience- right Howard?

BTW, an excellent source of info on TSBs for all makes is http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov; you can search by year, make, then model. There are few other TSBs for the '04-early '05 LS that owners might find of interest.
    Hey Gary.
    I'm glad I got to experience a "real" LS, not an untuned one. Man did it surge ahead- very powerful car! Doesn't say much for the other dealership. Someone was asleep at the switch.
    Regards,
    hpowders
  • pj2323pj2323 Member Posts: 43
    i had the power steering pump and pressure valve replaced 4 years ago. a small amount of fluid has started seeping from where the valve screws into the pump. is this the valve leaking or the pump? lexus dealer told me there was no gasket or o ring there to leak. do i need to replace both parts again, or maybe only the valve?
  • paul29paul29 Member Posts: 178
    There is a replaceable seat under the pressure switch . It is available in the seal kit for the power steering.
  • pj2323pj2323 Member Posts: 43
    thanks for the reply. i replaced the switch, and that seemed to stop it. i am sure the kit would have been cheaper. although the price of the switch is much cheaper than before. lexus changed the part # and dropped the price from about $200.00 to $90.00
  • themayorthemayor Member Posts: 1
    I am experiancing the same problem. Did you find the cure?
  • jhilbrantjhilbrant Member Posts: 2
    friends, the door handle broke, replacement just arrived. How do I get the inside door panel removed? I can get the four bottom screws out, the one upper right air vent screw, the left side of door, and the one inside the door pull handle. But at the top of the inside door panel, I cant get it away from the window without breaking something. Your earliest advices appreciated.
    Jim H. Orange, CA.
  • dbc123dbc123 Member Posts: 105
    Go to lexls.com for a tutorial.
  • jhilbrantjhilbrant Member Posts: 2
    I ask for help and you ask for a donation, great! NOTE NO DONATION.
  • dbc123dbc123 Member Posts: 105
    I did NOT ask for a donation! I am in NO WAY associated with that website. You may use the info to assist with the door panel removal without making a donation. I'll not bother to help you in the future.
    Take it to a dealer and get it done right and in the long run it may even be less expensive...
  • frankie33frankie33 Member Posts: 28
    Couldn't find an answer in the owner's manual & contacting Lexus didn't help; maybe someone here has the answer. On a LS430, for cleaning purposes, is it possible to manually raise the windshield wipers & keep them in place?
  • shirlkshirlk Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my control panel not coming on until I drive for a while. Cannot put my finger on whether it is related to the car warming up or just something being bumped into contact. The whole panel stays dark. The headlight indicator is the only thing that works. The whole panel eventually comes on, within about 5 to 10 min of driving. The needle on the speedometer is only half lit, otherwise everything else is fine. Where do I start looking for the problem.
    Do u know of any good lexus repair shop, other than the dealers...in atlanta and or greenville, sc? Thanks
    Do u know of any good lexus repair shop, other than the dealers...in atlanta and or greenville, sc? Thanks

Go to www.cartalk.com and on that website (http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/) you can find readers' opinions on area mechanics, listed by either city/state or zip code.

There is an independent repair shop dedicated to Toyota in Chamblee, GA on a side street, only a mile or from what I call Auto Dealer Alley on Peachtree Industrial. We found it on cartalk.com for our son, who now has our '98 Avalon and lives there.
  • phil57phil57 Member Posts: 4
    JUST CHECKED THE WEB SITE, CONGRATS!

FORGET ABOUT COST, JUST BUDGET LIKE I SAID & PAY WHEN YOU MUST, REPAIRS & REPLACEMENT ARE FAIRLY PREDICTABLE (EXCEPT THE STARTER MOTOR WHICH SURPRISED ME), THEN DON'T EVALUATE FOR AT LEAST A YEAR. IF YOU'RE ME, YOU'LL BE VERY HAPPY.

LIKE I SAID, GREAT FAMILY CAR, EVERYDAY & LONG DISTANCES, IF YOU'RE DOING EXTREME DRIVING (MOUNTAINS, BAJA, OFF ROAD) BORROW YOUR BUDDY'S CAR!
  • clyde1clyde1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone added an aftermarket XM Radio to their 2004 LS430 with the Mark Levenson Radio/Navigation System? If so, any comments-pro and con? I've been looking at an "XM Commander" -I think it will mount right in the ash tray. Has anyone had any experience with this, or any other aftermarket units? I've read some comments about having Toyota XM Receiver Kits installed in LS430's. I'd appreciate any info about this. And last, What about a good auto stereo shop installing the Lexus XM Radio Receiver kit? I'm sure this would be much cheaper than the dealer doing it. (last time I checked my dealer wanted $400+ to install the kit)
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I had an XM Commander added to my '04 LX470, which I presume has the same or very similar radio to the LS430. It works great. Cost about $150 for the installation. The XM Commander itself cost a similar amount, as I recall. I just got an '05 LS430, and the dealer quoted $350 for the Lexus XM radio and estimated $250 for the installation. I haven't decided whether to install an XM Commander or the Lexus unit. I intend to ask the stereo shop about whether they have any experience installing the Lexus unit.
  • paulrlpaulrl Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone known how to turn off day time running lights on my 05 LS430
    thanks
    paul
    The Dealer will do that kind of stuff for you free when you go in for your 5000 mile check oil change...There are dozens of adjustments they can make for you ..My suggestion is to talk to the sales guy and get a list of things they can change...

For example the door can be set to lock and unlock almost anyway you want them to......All unlock when the car goes into Park for example or only the Drivers door unlocks ....All lock when is put into gear...and other variations...I know they can adjust the interior lights when they go on and off...Lots of stuff.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    There is an "Options" list usually given to the new owner at delivery which lists all the choices they want you to know about. You can check off the items that you want changed and to what you want them changed to. I believe this service is free at least once during the first year of ownership.
    You can buy the car from one dealer and another dealer's service dept. will honor your choices for these options?
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    I just had mine adjusted or customized. I had the headlights come on sooner automatically before dark and also had all four doors unlock when I grabbed the outside door handle. These were the only two I changed from 'default'.

My impression is that these customizations are the farthest thing from tedious that a dealer does. I'd be surprised if a different dealer complained, especially if he wanted you to become a regular.
  • dexmondexmon Member Posts: 8
    I have a 05 LS430 with the nav system. The thing that I hate about it is that I cannot set a destination while I am driving. Do anyone know how to change that.
    Thanks. Good to know.
    hpowders