Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The compressor is locked out if the low side freon pressure is too low. If you try max cool and still do not get cooling then one of the servomotors has failed. At max heat or max cool the system ignores all sensors and simply drives the mixing vane to full heat or full cooling. The nice thing about these early models is that you can see/watch the mixing vane servomotor do its thing.

The hot water flow valve is in the engine compartment at the top center of the firewall. A cable attached to this valve is driven by the same servomotor that drives the mixing vane internally. You should be able to observe this cable moving from the valve closed position to fully open when you go from max cool to max heat.

The good news is that if the compressor is cycling on a fairly regular basis then you can bet that "something" is being cooled. The most likely problem is that the incoming airflow is being cooled but then fully reheated due to the mixing vane being stuck in the max heat position.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    For 1993, Lexus upped the LS400 to 16" wheels/tires. I think anything up to 17" will be fine for the 91 LS400, just as long as the tires aren't too wide. I would stick with 225/60-16's if I were you.
    Would be the proper +1 upgrade. That's what's on my 1992 LS400, 16X8 BBS-RS and Bridgestone Turanzas for quiet.
  • tntitantntitan Member Posts: 306
    The 17" wheels that I have should fit. The tires are 215/50/17 Yohohama Avid V4's and I really like them a lot. Any reason why they would not fit?
    that for 17's you would need something more on the order of 235/45-17 to do a "true" +2 from the 15". 215/50 would definitely be the wrong direction insofar as the speedo accuracy.
  • leonardwleonardw Member Posts: 4
    Hi! I have only had my o5/Ls430 for a month,But my complaint would be hesitation and harsh ride. talked to my dealer and he told to bring it in.After taking a test ride with the shop forman he explained it was becouse of the drive by wire system.I don't like it but I don't know if thare is anything that can be done about the problem.I think the harsh ride is becouse of the 18" wheels and tires.I'm thinking of going to a 16" wheel and tire.I don'y know if this change would cause other problems or not.I'm hopeing some others on this board may have went this route.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I read somewhere on this board that the dealer could reprogram the computer to get rid of the "hesitation". Might ask the dealer about it or Lexus Hq. As for the ride on 18", find a 2005 at the dealer with 17" (even if it's a used one) and test drive it and compare to yours.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    my complaint would be hesitation and harsh ride. talked to my dealer and he told to bring it in.After taking a test ride with the shop forman he explained it was becouse of the drive by wire system.

To quote my previous post #1416 responding to someone who drove a demo LS and described a "dead spot" on the gas pedal:

"When I first got my '05, I noticed not what I would call a dead spot in the pedal, but there was a definite hesitation when I first gave it gas. I wonder if that was what you were experiencing?

This has been attributed to a problem in the programming of the transmission/engine interface. There is reportedly a TSB (00604) describing a re-programming fix for the issue. But interestingly, after driving my car for a couple of weeks, the issue went away in my case and has not come back, so I never took it in for the re-programming. Apparently, the transmission "learns" the driver's style and can adapt in some cases; in other cases, it takes a re-programming. It's possible that the demo you drove was either brand new or had "adapted" to a driver's style that was incompatible with your style.

I have seen posts in other places by people who had the re-programming done and found the problem resolved. "

A bunch of people posted after this that the re-programming fixed that problem completely.

As to the harsh ride issue, I have the 18" tires and so far I have decided to live with the slightly harsher ride in favor of the better handling that comes with the high performance tires. It's definitely a trade-off, but I have been willing to accept it.

But definitely get the re-programming done-- no need to live with that hesitation!
  • rhosterrhoster Member Posts: 1
    I am a new owner of a 1991 LS400 and seems to have a bit of a problem with the suspension. The car originally had the air suspension, but I believe it has since been changed to traditional struts (I can hear a hissing noise when I get out after parking). The problem is that the rear suspension seems to be locked into place with no give which causes a very bumpy ride as well causing the bottom to scrape against the ground when going down or up a steep hill. Has anyone experienced anything like this? And, does anyone know what it would cost, ballpark, to get something like this replaced or fixed? Thanks
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    You can replace your air bags with conversion kits for about $200 a wheel. But your Lexus will then ride like a 63 Apache pickup with bad leaf springs. (Some may disagree, but that's my opinion). What's the point of having a Lexus? Get an Avalon if you're going to strip out the luxury items of the Lexus, IMO. My friend converted his, and I hate the ride now. Just hate it.
    Yesterday the battery on our 92 LS was completely drained and I installed a new one and then discovered it wouldn't charge. Sure enough the power stearing pump has been leaking...

Is the alternator really truly damaged or are is the slip ring so covered with power stearing fluid that it cannot function?

The reason I asked is that the morning I went to put a charger on the battery but started the car first just to check that there really was no charge rate... I discovered that the battery was being charged, 12.76 volts at idle and rose with engine RPM. But about 10 minutes later the battery was indicating 11.60 volts and no charge rate.

Additionally it's hard for me to believe, accept, that PS fluid could damage the diodes or the regulator.

Did the slip ring dry out overnight and then get recoated while the car ran this morning?

I guess I'll be overhauling the PS pump this afternoon but I'll delay any work on the alternator until I hear from a few of you or it begins working again.
  • kl3415kl3415 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 1990 LS 400 that came with 15" OEM. I upgraded to 17" GS 300
    chrome wheels and it worked fine. I later upgraded again to 18" wheels using low profile tires. It compromised the ride slightly but man does it look good and ride great on the road.
  • kl3415kl3415 Member Posts: 12
    Recently my radiator light started coming on (1990 Ls 400). It comes on about 5 mins after I start the car. I verified my fluid level is fine . Although I assume the temp and the radiator light or separate I monitor both to be sure the car is not overheating. Has anyone had this problem before and what did you do to resolve.

Thanks in advance,

Ken
  • sabbir2002sabbir2002 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 90 Lexus. The clock display stays green (lit) but no clock or climate control information. do you know how to fix this? also, there is no light on climate control or radio buttons at night.
  • cacmancacman Member Posts: 40
    Thanks for your help. I took the car to a local guy (non-lexus) - he said the clamp on the power steering hose need tightened, and he had to add fluid. So far so good. No more whining noise - no more difficulty steering - If the problem does not come back, I got away with a "cheap" fix.
  • bcohbcoh Member Posts: 1
    After poor reliability with bad GM Saabs, I am researching the move to Lexus. I have always driven my Saabs to 150k+ miles and expect with regular maintenance to be able to drive an LS to 200k+?

Can late model '90s LS 400 owners provide a summary of expected maintenance beyond the 60k mark? Based on this thread, I expect timing belt, LED display, AC, power steering pump and maybe TPS issues around 80k - 90k.

Would owners in this forum feel good about a fair priced '99 LS 400 with 57k miles on her? I must admit, I'm torn about value - does one go with a loaded, 0 mile new Camry or the '99 LS 400 with 57k?

Input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    One thing I will point out regarding Camry v.s. Lexus LS400. If you are tall, or long-legged, Consumer Reports magazine always comments that the Camry doesn't have enough thigh support on the front seat. (I guess it's not deep enough.)

For that reason alone, I nixed the Camry and went straight to the Avalon/Lexus LS groups.

BTW, if you're looking at a new Camry, why not look at the new '05 Avalon? Our old '98 Avalon has held up like a trooper. We kept it and ditched the Volvo. You've had Saabs. Need I say more? :)
    FWD, which can be potentially be quite hazardous in wintertime adverse roadbed conditions.

FWD will get you up and going quicker and easier in those conditions but when you lose traction on the drive wheels, too much gas pedal or at times even too little, you have also lost all directional control.

AAA currently has a campaign to inform FWD owners how best to recover traction and thereby directional control in those conditions.

SHIFT INTO NEUTRAL, QUICKLY!

With RWD you simply get off the gas and steer into the skid.
    The LS400 has always been a ridiculously reliable car. Just about any year LS400 will give you years and thousands of miles worth of trouble free driving pleasure. Just remember a few things. Have you made sure the car hasn't been in a accident? How about service records? Also, remember regular maintanence on a LS400 is expensive. a timing belt change at a Lexus store will easily run you about $600-$1,000 based on where you live. Of course, if you can find a good local mechanic who can do a timing belt on a LS400, you could save yourself a bundle.

Buying a new Camry is personally a better way to go as it's a brand new car, maintanance will be cheaper over the life of the car, and you have years to go before having anything major to do like a timing belt change. But the LS400 is a better car, even a 1999 model. It's more comfy, roomier, has more luxo features, is quieter, etc. etc. etc. Tough call.
    I bought a new 1992 LS400 in th fall of 1991. Just this past weekend it rolled over 100,000 miles, other than a few of the early oil and filter changes it has NEVER been back to the dealer.

An oxygen sensor failed about five years ago and this weekend I rebuilt the PS pump, new tires and brake pads all around and installed a remanufactured alternator since the slip rings on the original one wore completely worn off.

I finally replaced the factory anti-freeze about a year ago because it was looking a bit murky, Ph and freeze level were still okay. ATF is still factory.

Don't expect to do the timing belt until ~150,000 miles.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Had a problem today while in for 15k service on my '04 LS430. They used my valet key to move the car and then I got in to leave using my SmartAccess and the ignition refused to unlock. It worked fine if I inserted the key to start but nothing if it was just in my pocket or held next to the dash. Even the lock/unlock feature was dead; the under dash button was in the right setting. Dealer had to get a tech to "reset the system" to get it functioning and said there was a TSB out there about this and next time it happens they will order the part to fix the problem.

I've done the search on the NHTSA board and find nothing. Anyone have info about this problem?
  • nhanxsolonhanxsolo Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone here have any experience with painting their Lexus LS400? my problem is that I have a big dent at the right side panel right on top of the front right wheel, im pretty sure it needs to be replaced, does anyone know if they have to repaint the whole car, or just the new panel? also how much would it costs to paint the panel/whole car? thanks.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Firstly, it matters what color the car is. If it's black, painting one panel isn't too hard, same with white. If it's Gold/Tan, it'll never really match, Silver is tough. You never HAVE to paint the whole car, but if you want it to match exactly and be really hard to detect the repair, you may WANT to paint the whole car.

Quality of body work and paint varies all the way from soup to nuts too. You get what you pay for.
  • paul29paul29 Member Posts: 178
    The tsb you are referring to is probably EL016-03 , which refers to Smart Access problems. Ask your dealer if you can see it .
    Thanks much, I will look into it on Monday with them.
  • scnolescnole Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 LS 400 and some days when I drive it for a while and turn it off it makes a low honking noise any ideas?
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    The other thing to think about is the age of your car. Paint will fade over time. Unless the body shop can match what is on the car by mixing their own formula, the whole car may have to be repainted. I don't have much experience with that, but I do know touch-ups on dings didn't match with that little bottle of factory touch-up paint on our '98 Avalon. (sea-mist green color)
  • bildowbildow Member Posts: 100
    I have found that using synthetic oil in your lexus it will help it last longer and run cleaner
    I also use mobil one 5w30 in my engine and mobil one transmission fluid in the transmission and I also use the synthetic transmission fluid in my power steering to help keep the seals soft. I have found that if you live in cold climate in the winter and don;t have a engine warmer mobil one will still lubricate down to 50 below helping the engine wear from dry starts and if you live in the desert area the oil will run up to 350 degrees plus. I have read where several people have transmissions that shudder when shifting I recommend going to a good transmission shop have them clean out the trans pan then do a full flush to clear out old oil. I recommend servicing the trans every 25000 miles and if you spend lots of time in bumper to bumper traffic every 20000 and if you can buy mobil one synthetic trans fluid and have the trans shop use it the trans will last a lot longer. All german cars now come with mobil one as standard fluid motor,trans rear-end and power steering Porsche BMW Mercedes ETC. They change the motor oil at 10,000 to 15000 miles which is now standard in a lexus if you use synthetic oil check the level every 4000 miles I hope this info helps I have always gotten at least 350,000 miles on my cars with the same engine and transmission using synthetic fluids. Happy Motoring!!!
    IF your Lexus runs hot here is a possible cure, take your Lexus to the $2.00 car wash and use the high power spray with soap. First wash your air condition condenser up front of your radiator and then wash your radiator spraying away from your engine you will find dirt grease and bugs that will wash out. Do not wash your motor it will cause problems with the electrical system. Always use your air conditioner during the winter weekly about 10 minutes a week you can have the heat on just hit the AC button to turn on the compressor this will help keep your air conditioner in shape. It's a good idea to turn on your air conditioner while the engine is at a low RPM this helps the compressor to last.
    I had the same problem I found my radiator fluid level just a bit low in the recovery bottle there is a sensor in the bottle and will light up the radiator light when the fluid is just a little bit low . I check it in the morning before I start the engine to get a good reading. you will see a add line on the side of the bottle when cold just top off the fluid hope this helps. Don't forget to change your antifreeze every two years I use toyota antifreeze with distilled water 50/50 mix, my hoses last a lot longer as does the radiator.
    I have found on my 91 LS 400 grease coming from the CV joint next to the real wheels I found a independent shop who repairs CV Joint problems, he re-banded the CV boots and no more leaks. One last idea for those of you who have a leaking power steering pumps get it repaired ASAP it will short out your alternator. then watch your repair bill blossom.
    I have ALWAYS been doubtful about how or why PS fluid could cause the alternator to fail. My background, 48 years of it, has been in the electronics field and I just cannot see how the diodes and solid state regulator could be subject to damage via the PS fluid, basically a hydraulic fluid.

I did consider the possibility that the fluid might "wash" the insulating varnish from the copper coils in the alternator but that seemed like it would be a longer term thing.

A few weeks ago the alternnator failed in our 92 LS400 w/100k miles.

Sure enough the PS pump was leaking at the top of the pressure relief spring/valve channel. So I overhauled the PS pump and then pulled the alternator.

Turned out the PS leak had nothing, absolutely NOTHING, to do with the alternator failure. The copper slip rings in the alternator were worn down to nothing. The end result was the same, I installed a rebuilt alternator.

When I purchased the OH kit at Lexus I had also purchased a brush set for the alternator since that is the most common failure point I have found in the past. How is it that the copper slip rings in the Lexus alternator are "softer" than the brushes? Like brake pads vs rotors the reverse is true, the brushes should wear out long before the slip rings.
  • 123steamn123steamn Member Posts: 1
    Have a 1992 ls400 but the fuel filler dooor won't open using the inside switch. I have to open the trunk and use the release cable to open it. Does anybody have a alternate idea for opening the door. The switch has power going to it, I am told the problem is the rear door solenoid which cost's over $500.

thank you
  • ep99ep99 Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: My 2000 RX300's rear windshield washer fluid comes out in a puny stream, not a spray as the front one, the dealer said that it's supposed to be that way. Can anyone with a 2000 model confirm this weird feature? Thanks. :confuse:
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Looking at a '93 Lexus LS400 4dr sedan. Has everything, incl aftermarket 10CD changer in trunk. Beige/beige leather. Looks very good for 12 yr old car. Couple minor scratches is all. Tires nearly new Yokos. Runs strong and true. Has 173K on the odo. Pretty much everyhting with a couple minor exceptions works as designed. Owner asking $5500 which is pretty much what KBB says. In Calif bay area.

Would be using as wife and teenage daughters 'round town vehicle. I figure old Lexus should still be fairly reliable??? Owner recently did brakes, has receipts for lots of oil changes (says 3-4K was norm. He is 2nd owner, bought from his brother). Timing belt replaced at about 125K. Body looks great - never an accident is his claim and looks to be true.

ANyone know of particulars I should consider with this vehicle? Anyone think price is right?

TIA

George
  • mcescher1mcescher1 Member Posts: 37
    I am considering buying a new LS 430. I can hear lots of distortion in the Mark Levinson system; by way of background, my home system has tube amps and preamp and Quad speakers, all of which produce minimal distortion. Has anyone tried to replace either the whole sound system, or just the amps and/or speakers and, if so, with what degree of difficulty and what results?
    I have a 2003 Avalon, which is quiet and wonderful, and need a second car. How do you feel about a comparison between the Avalon and the LS430, aside from fancy features like intelligent cruise control?
    Is it feasible to buy the basic LS 430 and then to install an after-market navigation system? Are these systems good? Are there any particular ones that are better than others, or perhaps better than the system that Lexus uses in the LS 430? My thought is that in any event I would take out the factory sound system and install a better one so there would be no reason to buy the modern luxury package if I can find a good after-market navigation system, especially since I am not interested in the other features in this package such as smart access, backup camera, and parking assist.
    This is an apples and oranges comparison from the ground up they are vastly different cars. Drive trains, handling, equipment, sound system, etc. etc. etc. I've got an '04 LS430 and my dad drives a 2003 Avalon XLS and I've spend a number of hours in his Avalon and am always glad to get back to my LS. Both good vehicles depending on your needs. And the new Avalon is in a new class from what I have seen, not driven but have riden in one from a guy at work. Its very nice and a terrific engine.
  • acurapassion97acurapassion97 Member Posts: 10
    Hi, I was just wanting to know of any owners of the 1st generation LS400 have been having this same problem and if its normal. Whenever I'm stopped and the engine is just idling, the engine seems to pulsate, it can be felt throughout the entire cabin, its really faint and gentle though. I've seen some older, like 80s Toyota models develop this and then it gets worse to the point the car is practically bouncing around like it has hydrolics when at a stop. I was just wondering what could be the cause of it, is it just the fact that its a big V8 engine with 198k miles on it....or is it something that needs to be fixed? Also, it seems a little more prominant when idling in park or neutral. Any ideas please? I really want to know so I don't worry that the car is about to die, I want it to last at least another 60k miles. Thanks in advance!
  • bcleepebcleepe Member Posts: 53
    My wife uses it for her short daily commute and I drive it for weekend outings. It has about 42K and very soon will need a new set of tires. The original set is Bridgestone Turanza ER33 225/55R17. We want the new set be at least as comfortable in the ride as the orginal set but hopefully will last a little longer. Any suggestions?
    with 42k. None quieter nor more comfortable than the Turanza.
    Try the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H or LS-V tires. Very good tires.
  • bcleepebcleepe Member Posts: 53
    wwest and maxhonda99 --- thanks for the comments!
    FYI 568 thousand miles was accomplished by a 1990 lexus LS 400 when traded in after 15 years on the road, the engine and transmission were original. The only failures were the
    air conditioner compressor and 2 power steering pumps. The car is from Southern California
    and had good maintenance, several dealers have said that if you take care of your lexus it's not a big deal to go 300,000 to 400,000 miles. According to JD powers the 2005 lexus is the first car to be under 100 for consumer complaints ever recorded shows again just how superior they build them year after year.
  • acurapassion97acurapassion97 Member Posts: 10
    I've heard that about the 1st generation LS, I'm ready to make mine last about 350000 miles....I keep hearing "with proper maintenance" though...so what would you recommend is the proper maintenance that I must do to keep the car running that long? Does your engine sorta some too pulsate throughout the car when you're stopped and idling? How many RPMs should the car be idling at anyway?
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Hi All,
    As many of you know (through many of my stories) I've had a 1st Generation LS since 1992. It doesn't require too much care. I think the only thing one needs to keep track of is the Power Steering Pump. Make sure the fluid is changed regularly. When started the car should be around 1200 RPM. Once it has been running for a few minutes mine normally goes down to 800 RPM. This occurs unless the A/C is on. Also you may have to replace shocks and suspension bushings.
    As per your pulsation problem, it may be broken engine mounts. This happened on my 92 after it was damaged in a side impact accident. I encountered some of the same symptoms that you have reported. There was a notable vibration when the engine was running. You could feel it throughout the car. Also there was a buzzing sound from the engine compartment. It is a costly repair at the Lexus dealer so you may want to find a good independant service center to do the work for you, if this is the problem. I think any competent mechanic ought to be able to tell you if this is in fact the problem.

SV
    I notice that the steering wheel on the 2005 LS 430 is stiffer than other cars I drive, for instance the 2003 Avalon and the 1994 Infiniti. Is this in the nature of the vehicle or can it be adjusted? Thanks for your replies.
    If a 2005 LS 430 comes with 18 inch wheels, can I have the dealer replace them with 17 inch wheels, or is the wheel size somehow integrated with other aspects of the vehicle so as to make this impossible or problemmatic? Thanks for your replies.