Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• cjdbutch1cjdbutch1 Member Posts: 4
    For a price of 300.00 plus tax exchanged you all can have your lcd panels back with a 1 year warranty. Lexus of Riverside has taken care of many panels.
  • bengaltigerbengaltiger Member Posts: 1
    Hi!

I need to get a leaking steering pump replaced on my '92 LS-400.
    Can anybody recommend a reliable, non-dealership service facility?
    So far the best price I have is $499 for pump and $132 for 2.2 hours labor.

Also, looking in this forum, I also have the burnt bulbs on the temp control panel (the LCD is OK, I can see the numerals just fine in daylight). Can anybody point me to the message that details how to remove the temp panel (without damage :-)?

Thanks in advance!
  • dwitydwity Member Posts: 3
    I have a 95 ls400 and the drivers side heated seat doesn't seem to get "hot" like the passenger side. I truly cannot even tell if it is working. Is there an adjustment to control how much heat is produced or is simply not working properly? Is there specfiic fuses for the seats? Does a Chiltons or other type manual exist for this car? If so where can I obtain one? Thanks everyone. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • bigrattlerbigrattler Member Posts: 4
    I, have a 1992 LS400 and If I suddenly hit the brakes on this car the radio turns off. I have look for wires or what ever near the brake pedal and can't see anything. Any Suggestions.
  • hpham007hpham007 Member Posts: 7
    Read post #40 and #43. Your problem may or may not be a related issue with the wiring in the trunk. Since it's easy to see if this is the cause of problem, I would give this area a shot first. I found a severed wire (black and white wire) in my trunk that was causing all sorts of havoc whenever I stepped on my brake pedal. BTW, does anybody have problems with the factory windshield being chipped easily? I've owned several cars in the past (maxima, bmw, acura) in which windshield chips were few and far in between. In fact, on some of my cars in which I drove for many years, I never received any windshield chips. On my LS400, I probably have at least 10 chips on the windshield and a friend of mine who has a 93 LS400 had counted at least 8 on his. We had discussed this in the past and he estimates that he probably received 1-2 chips in all of his previous cars combined whereas on his AS, he's got four times that number. Does any other LS400 owners noticed this problem? Just wondering.....
  • mike_542mike_542 Member Posts: 128
    my friends 1997 ES300, 1998 GS400, and my 1991 LS400
  • sandyfordiiisandyfordiii Member Posts: 1
    I've noticed my outer half of the speedometer needle in my 91 LS 400 flickered for awhile and is now just dead.

Might anyonw know of a fix short of a new factory part, or of a source for rebuilt speedometers / needles?

Thanks.

Sandyfordiii
  • reamfamilyreamfamily Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2000 ls400 with approx. 20000 miles-all services performed by a dealer. When the car has sat for a day or more-I feel a slip in the tranny when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. This happens under light or moderate acceleration and only the first few minutes-after the engine warms up the shift pattern is normal--any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • tcsctcsc Member Posts: 5
    I have a 92 LS 400. When I am driving between 40 and 60 mph and gently add gas the tranny shudders as it down shifts. Feels like I am running over a cattle guard or something. The downshift works fine if I hit the gas harder. Any thoughts on what may be causing this disturbing shudder anyone? Thanks, TC
  • rdwcdw1rdwcdw1 Member Posts: 7
    Good morning tcsc On your transmission problem this can be fixed by having your fluid flushed and replaced at your Lexus dealer, or you can do it yourself, their is a new trans fluid spec out there called -IV, have it changed and your problem should be gone.
  • clg3clg3 Member Posts: 1
    Didn't know if you had received any help on the power steering question.
    You should be able to purchase the pump itself from irontoad.com for a
    good bit less than the dealer price. Once you have the part, almost any
    shop will be cheaper than the dealer labor rate. Don't let the dealer
    talk you into rebuilding (no warranty) the pump. I spent $250 and then
    still had to have the pump replaced (after it leaked onto my alternator
    and casued a $1200 repair job).
  • aschneider2aschneider2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello! I've just installed a power steering pump on a 1993 Lexus LS400. Can anyone tell me if this pump is self bleeding or do I need to bleed the line? If so, how do I do it? TIA - Arthur
    I just ordered and received the time/temp replacement lcd faceplate from Lexus of Riverside, CA for $350.00 plus tax and shipping. Their phone # is 909-3530903. When the refurbished part got here it had the manufacturers name and address on it as follows: Mikadoo Technology Company, 1435 Huntington Ave., Suite C, South San Francisco, CA 94080. Phone # 650-6159966. I do not know if you can order direct and save money but I suspect you or your mechanic could. Wish I had the phone # befor I paid $350 but Riverside was very fast and friendly. The Lexus dealer in Dallas and Fort Worth said the part was only available new and was $790.00 or so. Hope this helps someone. I am still looking for a solution to the half dim speedometer needle!! I wonder if I found a old Lexus at a salvage yard if the Needle could be put on my vehicle. Anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks, Tom C.
    thanks rdwcdw1 for suggesting that a fluid change would fix the downshifting problem I was having and wrote about earlier. It did the trick!! tcsc
  • 67106710 Member Posts: 2
    Following is food for thought for individual desiring to purchase a used LS400; gives you insight to running cost; original 90 LS400 purchased 2/90;
    65K FRONT BRAKES $191
    66k alternator* $631
    83K AIRCONDITIONER EVAPORATOR, Receive DRYER, EXPANSION VALUE $1014
    91K 2 circuit relays $421
    100k power steering pump reseal $314
    102k resevior tank sensor unit $333
    108k brakes, front $111
    114k brakes, rear $90
    125k serpentine belt $103
    127 ear pipe, water pump, timing belt, thermostat $1814
    133k starter $680
  • q45manq45man Member Posts: 416
    You've been lucky with only $5,000 repairs in 66,000 miles but fairly normal on a 11 year old car in that we estimate this period runs about 12 cents per mile total. The coolant tank and power steering problems were the result of !!!!you or previous owner!!!!! not changing/flushing fluids, the alternator was the result of the PS fluid leaking on it in the first place, the AC problems were not changing the compressor oil and dryer at adequate intervals allowing moisture buildup.

So half the $5000 was preventable with a $500 fluid exchange budget [remember Freon is a liquid in AC under pressure]
    T3 Automotive SE largest independent Lexus and Infiniti Repair facility serving over 4,000 owners
    Notice you didn't include tires, shock replacement, suspension work, alignments,or routine mainteance costs - plugs, wires, brake rotors, intake cleaning fluid replacements - transmission, etc.
    But you are a very low annual mileage driver by now many of the 90 LS400 we see are approaching 200,000 miles and a few are in the 300,000 mile range.
    PS: the pump reseal won't last as there was damage done during the leak always best to replace with new parts in long run assuming you plan on keeping car another 100,000 miles.
  • ohsusannaohsusanna Member Posts: 1
    This is a family owned car, 80,000 miles. I
    know the timing chain has been replaced but
    what am I looking at in terms of repairs that
    would be coming up? What are the usual things
    that could or will go wrong with this model?
    Am I looking at a very expensive car to keep up?
  • lexor1lexor1 Member Posts: 3
    I don't know if this will help, but I have a 1990 and the previous owner made an entry
    in his repair history that in Apr'94 he had the lite repaired at the dlr (no price) caused by an open
    circuit.
  • edemianedemian Member Posts: 5
    I have an Extra one for Exchange for $275.
    Call Esam (719)597-8299,
    I have an Extra one for Exchange for $275.
    Call Esam (719)597-8299,
  • lexor1lexor1 Member Posts: 3
    I had so much trouble trying to make this post that I forgot who asked for help on suspension components. I remember it was message #35.
    Anyway, I started hearing noises etc, on my '90 LS400 and took it to my local tire shop which also does mechanical repairs. I had both front struts replaced and the upper plate replaced.
    You have to go to Lexus for both parts. The front struts were 62.99 each 2 hrs ($120) labor. I made the mistake of neglecting to have the strut upper plates replaced when they replaced the struts, so had to go back and have the plates replaced (r&r the struts) the plates are 97.69 each and another $120 labor again. The parts are only available from Lexus. Good luck.
  • ltsengltseng Member Posts: 9
    I have 92 LS400 and having a problem of transmission shifting. After I shifted it from Park to any position except neutral position, I can push the shift knob forward (from L, 2, or D) without pressing the shift lock button and it stops at neutral. It causes big problem when I sudden stop the car, it shift itself from D to N. Any idea what causes it and how to fix it? Thanks.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    It would cause a much bigger problem if you were unable to quickly select Neutral in the event of a stuck throttle. It's a safety feature designed into most shift linkages. Suggest you have the engine/trans mounts and shift linkage adjustment checked.
    Does anyone know how to change this display?

DemianEsam@aol.com (719)597-8299
    Does anyone know how to change this display?
    Esam
  • investmentinvestment Member Posts: 1
    Someone key-scratched my 94 LS 400 from back to the front on both sides. I tried some Scratch Remover (some with chalk like filling) but it did not work. The scratch is very deep. Can anyone help? Please post and e-mail me your suggestion (hsku@aol.com) thanks.
  • hs5000vhs5000v Member Posts: 3
    My friend just bought a 1990 LS400. To take it for a test drive the car lot had to jump start it using that Battery Box. We took it for a drive and everything was ok. When we took it home seems like all was ok with the battery. It was ok for a few days, starting anytime of the day. Then one cold night it wouldnt start, he jump started it and drove it home. About a 10 mile drive. Next morning it would not start so we bought a new battery and stuck it in. That was on a Friday. All was well. Then last night 4 days later we were driving home late at night and noticed the "Add Oil", "Battery", "Brake Failure", "Add Coolant" lights had all come on at the same time. But the car was still running fine on the Expressway. Then these warning lights would all turn off, then back on after a minute and this went on all the way home. This morning he started it up and on the way to work, same problem, warning lights would come on for a few minutes, then flick off for a few seconds and back on again. Tonight on his way home things got worse, First he noticed his cd player shutoff, all the warning lights came on, and the car just cut off and back on and off, until it just switched off while waiting at a set of lights. He went to crank it and although there was power, the guages lit up ok, interior lights, radio still wouldnt work and neither would the hazard lights. It seemes like the car wasnt drawing enough current to start, starter would turn for a split second real slow, then that clicking noise. I was thinking dead battery, but that would not cause car to go dead when its running, maybe regulator. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if there is a simple fix.
    After reading all the posts. I went down and checked the trunk, seems like the wires are ok. Just before the wires go into trunk hinge the wires pass through this plastic cap like thing. I checked the power steering reservoir and noticed it was empty. (fluid just made a mark at tip of stick) looked down and there is fresh fluid sitting on the bottom plastic tray near radiator. But when I looked for alternator I am sure its on other side of motor near battery. So how does power steering fluid get all the way to the other side of the motor?
  • hyperopthyperopt Member Posts: 55
    I recalled reading electrical problems similar to yours on Ladman forum couple months ago. Although I had not experienced such problems with my LS400, I had similar problem with my Toyota Supra. I recalled most if not all warning lights came on intermittently at first, then flickers, then on all the time, then battery went out of juice. I compared the voltage across the battery terminals when engine off vs. engine running and found there wasn't much difference(should be at least 1.2V with engine running) - voila alternator problem. Fortunately, I only had to change to brushes($4 at Pepboys if you're willing to do easy soldering, otherwise $30 for the presoldered kit). I have the feeling that Toyota designed their electrical wiring in such a way that when alternator fails, most(if not all) warning lights come on.

Ps. Please post the solution after the problem is solved.
    HS5000v,

I am not sure what you saw but the alternator should be underneath the PS pump on the passenger side of the engine compartment, and the AC pump is on the driver side of the engine compartment. Hope this help.
    Toyota alternator is quite reliable if not contaminated. What is the mileage on the LS?
    Edemian,

I believed the procedure to change the LCD was post on this thread some time ago. Just read back.
    It has done 151,000 miles, but it looks real good and drives so well. How do I get to this Ladmans Forum
  • hsv5000hsv5000 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, Towed my friends car to my mechanic. Actually he is a BMW Mechanic but said he would fix it. Turns out that the alternator was dead. The reason, power steering fluid leaking onto it. He has quoted me $368 for a changeover alternator installed. Then he was telling me how he rang Lexus and you cant get a power steer rebuild kit. So A new Power steer pump will be $688 installed. I questioned him because I was sure I read something here. So he rang again and said that there is one available. Cost $33 plus $200 labor. Do those prices sound ok. I was sarting to think that my mechanic was trying to put one over me with the power steering quote. I just picked a Lexus dealer in another state and he rambled the price for the steer kit from memory. Another thing I was thinking is that maybe I can just get bushes for the alternator and fix it myself, but the mechanic stated that the diodes were probably gone. Plus I dont think I could be bothered trying to get it out, I can hardly see it let alone get my hands down there. Anyway I am so glad I found this board it has really helped me out. I am sure you will be seeing more of me, and I will definitely be posting further remarks on "The Lexus Experience"
    No doubt your mechanic tried to milk some $. Mechanics love new parts - less work and more money for them(thieves?). You should be able to buy some individual seal parts or kits from the dealers.

For part price comparisons, check out these sites:

http://www.parts.com

http://www.partsamerica.com

Someone posted(perhaps Ladman) stating that he changed the notoriously leaky o-ring at the PS return hose attached to the PS pump without having to remove the pump.

Former Ladman's forum:

http://server6.ezboard.com/bladman.html

Could you please find out where exactly the leak on the PS pump? I like to know whether the leak is from the shaft, gasket, or hose o-ring, ect...

New brushes are overdue at 151K+. Unfortunately, that may not be the cause of your immediate problem. Fluid combines with electricity can do lots of damage...
  • mhartlessmhartless Member Posts: 11
    I recently bought a 92 LS400 with 122kmi and it has the typical bleeding LCD. However today after having the vehicle for about a month the LCD was working perfectly after being parked in the sun. I also noticed the mirror takes time for its electronics to acclimate on hot days for the undimming to cover the whole mirror. Anybody else notice this weirdness with the LS400...I love this car and would like to keep it for a long time...but would also like to fix these idiosyncracies.
  • ferraro1ferraro1 Member Posts: 44
    Hello All ~ ** New Member-Long time Lexus Fan**
    I have a 1994 LS400 has 93,000 miles on it and I have had So much $$ invested into it. Yet I am not going to mention all the smaller things (depressing), I have had the power steering pump replaced (all new) about $1,000 total (also had the Heater control valve changed on the same trip) but anyway I have just been informed that i now have a leaking (power steering fluid) Rack and Pinion and that i have to get a WHOLE NEW UNIT $1,000 + at my Lexus Dealer, I have had it , I dunno what to do, i have spent SO MUCH $$ on this car. What is gonna go next for my 1994 I am expecting the altinator (sould I worry) and the Leaking LCD's is that gonna go to ? I had always thought this car to be an Iron Horse Reliable as anything, I just need someone to talk to me about this who has similar problems and maybe some answers , ok thank you
    Paul
    Generally you have covered the items which tend to fail from wear and abuse: AC comp/evap, PS induced Alt, Heater valve, Liquid Xtal displays, Tension rods ,& Shocks. The trans & engine are very very reliable if maintained.
    When you purchase a used lux car [LS, Q, 740, A8] you must be prepared to spend around $2500-$3500 a year minimum [LS is lowest in group] for repair and proper maintence. If the purchase is in very good shape, most are sold because they get an estimate for repairs [$3,000] and decide to dump the car on someone else rather than fix the problems.
    T3 Automotive South's Largest Independent Lexus & Infiniti repair facility over 3200 clients.
  • mhartlessmhartless Member Posts: 11
    Q45man.....Your estimate for yearly maintenance on an LS400 is way too high. Once the typical problems are fixed this car is solid for 200kmi. I also have had an 90 Acura Legend coupe(160kmi) for 6 years and put in less than $4k total for everything tires included. On my LS400 I spend around $1k a year for maintenence and I'm a meticulous owner as are most LS400 owners.

I don't know of anyone spending $18k on maintenance over 6 years for an LS400. You should be able to fix the AC, PS, Alternator, Struts and LCD's for less than $4k.

IMHO the used LS400 is the best luxury car buy out there. Sure parts cost a lot but the car will make 200kmi easy. Remember... maintenance for the ordinary car is around $700/yr after 100kmi....for a $1/day more for maintenance you can own a LS400....its a no-brainer... assumming you don't buy a lemon
  • lexozzlexozz Member Posts: 1
    I have a '95 LS400 and both front height control sensors are broken. The two front strut mount bushings were changed and the sensors got damaged in the process. The front of the car is now about 3-4 inches higher than normal. I have to wait for the new sensors to be shipped b4 it can be back to normal height. Can anyone give me any advice in getting the air out the two front struts
    so I can drive the car in the mean time, it rides
    like a high-rider bouncing on any little bump.
    Hello ~
    It is me, Thank you for your responces, as for that $2500-3500 a year that q45man said , does seem a bit on the high side , I DO NOT want to spend that AT ALL , I Mean I have tried to keep all of the mecanical things in tip top shape. I have asked a few people to see if the Rack and Pinion Failure was common for the LS400 and no one says that it really is . So when i take it in sould I have the dealer look at the car totally and tell me what needs to be fixed ? I know i Need new rear brakes , cuz i had new ones put on the front at 90,000. Also when the car is cold and i go like on a dip You will hear this scraping sound , (what is that) ? then when it comes to tempature it is ok , thank you .
    Paul
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think you have to look at the Big Picture with a used car....statistically, some cars at 90K miles will have fewer things fail than others, but really, the problems you described are very possible statistically for a car of this age. Also, where you live in the USA can drastically affect maintenance costs per mile and the overall cost of repairs. Here in the SF area, dealer hourly rates are just approaching $100/hr. In Arkansas they are around $35-40. So figure on a big 10 hour job at a dealer, there's a lot of difference in cost, geographically.

So what I'm saying is that if you are on the short end of the statistical probabilities, and also living in Calif., you are going to have a much different maintenance record than the guy in Arkansas who got statistically lucky with his Lexus.

Make sense? Could be your experience is more or less normal, not a sign of a "lemon" at all.
    mhartless,

Your experience with LCD abnormality is not uncommon for LCD failure in LS400. The LCD display is not serviceable by the comsumer, and so must be replaced. My problem is that the "entire" unit must be replaced when only the LCD fails. If you can find justification to pay $350+ and labor for temp display, then do it; otherwise, live with it.
    I bought a 90' LS400 with a non-working temperature display. I like to be able to "blindly" set the temp without reading the display, and to do that I need to know the temp range. Anotherwords, what are the lowest and highest temperature one can set? Any info is greatly appreciated.
    Hello ~
    I hope these major problems will stop I did not buy this car to pour GOBBS of Money into it. I mean I have Had the car since April 2000 and already $1,000's !! in it the next visit to Lexus is schedualed for March 20th and I Am Getting a new Rack and Pinion ($1,000) New rear Breaks($200)and an oil change ($110) Just got new tires and the power steering pump is also new along with the front breaks and a new Windshiled ok well i will stop it is depressing and i bet you are all sick and tired of me ( I dont mean to be a pain I t is just that i want my car to stop breaking and having problems)Ok well for HYPEROPT the temp goes up to 85 degrees (then to max hot) and then it gos to 65 degrees than max cold) Ok well i hope I was some help thnaks everyone .
    Paul (Long time Lexus fan)
  • blumrlnblumrln Member Posts: 11
    Mikado Technology Company
    1435 Huntington Ave.,Suite C South San
    Francisco, CA 94080 Phone:1-888-9-MIKADO Fax: (650)615-9900
    Email: mikadotechnology@yahoo.com
  • hpham007hpham007 Member Posts: 7
    I'm tired of paying dealer prices for simple spark plug changes so I've decided to handle the next change myself. I've changed them on other makes in the past without any problems so I have a little experience in this. I took a quick glance at the LS400 engine bay and noticed that it was quite different from a regular car's engine. There were no obvious spark plug wires from the distributor leading to the spark plugs. Has anybody done this maintenance in the past? How easy is it to access all eight spark plugs in the engine bay? Does anybody have any procedures they can publish?

Thanks....
  • blumrln1blumrln1 Member Posts: 9
    Looking at the engine compartment of an LS-400 can be daunting, But no need to worry
    First on the valve covers thats where the spark plugs hide,remove the plastic cover you will recognize these by seeing 32 Valve on them, Make sure you have a long extension for your spark plug wrench