Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• dealerbasherdealerbasher Member Posts: 3
    Folks, I have to confess -- I can't stand any rattles or noises in the car. That's why I am looking forward to driving a Lexus. Of course, I could probably afford only a used one, maybe 1995-1997. All cars I had until now (even new ones) literally drive me crazy with rattles, squeaks, and other noises. Lexus LS400 has a vault-quiet reputation. Is it true?
    Also, how was your dealer experience? I had awful experience with Toyota dealers, hope it's not the case with Lexus. If you can recommend a Colorado dealership I would be most grateful. Thank you.
  • dealerfloridadealerflorida Member Posts: 50
    Your dealer experience will vary one from the other, it depends on ownership and management. Yes, certain brands (i.e. Lexus) have higher standards and more training, however we all (I mean all) have had horror stories.
    Tight is right, Lexus are pretty much rattle and creak free. In buying a used Lexus do not purchase one from northern areas (Rust, inferior roads) where the cars take a great beating with inclement weather, pot holes and craters the size of ponds that will loosen up pretty much any vehicle. The Lexus used car certified program is fine one. I own a used 1997 LS 400 for almost a year now. This is the best used car I have ever owned to date. I am amazed at the build quality and the sheer reliability of this car, I love it and highly recommend it. Parts and maintenance are higher than your domestics, so beware.
    Good luck, Sheldon
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    I think that you have to press the odometer button as you switch the key to the ON position without starting the engine. Hold it there until the reminder resets. Please check for anything I may have missed against the owner's manual.
  • smokey0066smokey0066 Member Posts: 3
    Just stopped by the local lexus dealership and saw a very nice 98 with 36k on it. I was browsing this topic and was wondering if the '98s have the power steering issue still? What other issues are there with the '98s? Will the lcd still be a problem? This car has the nak stereo, xenon lamps, cell phone, and chrome wheels. I think those are all the options. Will any of those cause me problems? The salesman knew the owner of that car and supposedly it had been fully serviced at the lexus dealership with full records. I will ask to look at them before purchase to confirm as well.

BTW the tires are almost gone so what tires do you guys put on your ls400s for a nice lux ride with performance too. Will use the est of new tires to bring down the price somewhat.

I couldnt read all the posts but I managed to read the begining and last few pages. Other than the power steering it seems these cars just have the normal issues that all other older cars will eventually have. This is a certified car with 3yrs/100k warranty on it.

Well I think I want to go back at night to try some night driving to see how the lights are and maybe take it up to speed on the highway when less people are out n about.

Thanks guys; I hope to be a fellow ls400 owner very soon.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    I bought a used (22k) '98 LS400 last year and I'm extremely happy with it.

First LS year with 290 hp and 5-speed auto; big differences from my '95 LS400.

I tossed the Lexus phone and all its hardware; useless in the cellular market 5 years later.

Great vehicle and with the cert warranty you can't go wrong. As for rubber, pick any Michelin or equivalent tire at $100 or more and you can't go far wrong there either. I put all-season Mich MXV4+ on mine; you can get more sporty rubber at the expense of durability. And don't go overboard on handling type rubber bec the LS suspension is not set-up for that and you'll be wasting money on the purchase and on the short life.
  • rjbusenitzrjbusenitz Member Posts: 13
    my check engine light was going on and off and finally has stayed on for a while so i decided to test it to see what the problem was. it came up with the number 71 which is listed or described as EGR System malfunction. i was wondering what that is and the seriousness of the problem. i reset the light and it came back on about 35 miles after resetting it. any help?
  • smokey0066smokey0066 Member Posts: 3
    I dont think its too serious. my honda has had an EGR valve problem for a few months now. Drives normal but i think the gas milage suffers as the ecu goes into the safety mode.. am i correct on this?

Well i gotta find some time to get this sucker fixed. Maybe when the LS400 comes home then I'll take my honda into the shop.
  • c2soxc2sox Member Posts: 19
    Geez this things driving me nuts.....
    I've checked the connectors and the harness and found nothing wrong with them. Unfortunately I can't locate a shop manual to better diagnose what the heck is going on. I've tried different things and have reset ECU, but it keeps coming back like a bad nightmare. She keeps sputtering and won't hold a consistent idle.

The air flow meter is not a cheap part $664, what are the chances that the meter itself has crapped out on me? I would assume that these units don't really break down often since it only measures air flow. Any ideas.......anyone?

Paul29-Thanks for the heads up on an earlier thread on this subject.

Thanks in advance!
    Al
  • marwankwmarwankw Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I'm interested in installing the original park assist sensors kit from Lexus, the dealer told me that the sensor kit include 2 sensors for back only, anybody know if I bought 2 sets of sensors will I be able to put them in the front also? will it work?
  • lxusruleslxusrules Member Posts: 33
    I have 91 LS400. My driver side headlamp is out. I tried to replace it but I couldn't get it out. I was able to take out the fog lamp but couldn't get to the headlamp. Do I have to take out the battery to get to it?

Where do they sell a service manual for my model? I couldn't find it at the local auto part store.

My yellow engine light have been on for last 4 month. It seems to drive just fine thought. Any diagnostic tips on this?

I just had my 100K service from independent shop 5 months ago.

Thanks for your help.

Danny from SoCal
  • imagine24imagine24 Member Posts: 3
    Danny, the lights are easy to remove but it helps to have the manual. Send me your fax number and I'll fax you the pages you need. My 91 LS400 has 205,000 on the clock and keeps on ticking. Had it since new. All dealer maintained (expensive at times) but overall, the repair costs (11 years) have been a better alternative to a new car.

Kent
    kmanby@mac.com
    Kent;

Thanks for your help. I will email you with my numbers.
    BTW, how much did you pay for your manual? Any chance I can find one from local book store?

Dan
  • imagine24imagine24 Member Posts: 3
    No sweat Dan - the manuals were GIVEN to me by the dealers parts manager when he saw me lusting for them in the parts cabinet! This was in 1991 when the dealer was VERY new. They had three service advisors and, I think, only six bays. Today, they must have fifteen writers and have two buildings of bays and building another! To say things have changed would be an understatement. I have to have one of the oldest single owner cars in their system. I still receive free oil changes (every 3,750) and get a loaner at any time. We traded my wife's LS400 (91 model) on an RX-300 about two years ago. I was all for keeping it but the ashtrays were full and it had to go!! (kidding).
    One point on older LS400's. At the 60,000 mile check, have them change out the water pump! The pump isn't that expensive and when it goes, isn't cheap to fix. Mine went out at 99,000 (under extended warranty) and the 91 is a "zero/zero" engine. The new ones aren't and will trash the engine when the piston meets the valves! No where in ANY service manual will you find a recommendation to change the water pump. Just do it every 60,000 and you never worry. Also, I had the fan pully go out around 195,000. Expensive (got to remove timing belt). Should have replaced at the 180,000 (part cost only) and saved the money but was unaware and the normally excellent service advisor (same one for years) was brain dead that day.

Another tip. The power steering pump can get stiff and groan. Have them clean the screen and flush with fresh fluid. Mine is still running fine. Have done this trick twice.

Overall, the car is a tank! Keeps on ticking day in and day out. Only other expensive repairs have been 1) new A/C compressor and 2) rear engine seal. If I sold it, I could only get $6-$7k and would have to replace so why??

Anyway, some common sense in the 60,000 mile service on over 100,000 mile LS400's will really pay you back!
  • lexus_fanlexus_fan Member Posts: 6
    Anybody have any idea whether 15mpg (urban stop start driving) is normal for 92 model in UK? That's probably equivalent to about 18 mpg in the US, as US gallons are larger than UK gallons.

It has always been serviced at Lexus and has 155,000 miles.

The only time I get decent consumption is when I drive at 65mph with cruise control set, when I get around 30-32 mpg.

However, driving without cruise on roads with traffic lights at an average speed of 40mph, I struggle to get past 18-19 mpg.

Is there anything I can do cheaply to improve mpg on this model?

Thanks,

Lexus_fan
  • dealerfloridadealerflorida Member Posts: 50
    For repair manual (Factory, by Lexus) go to www.irontoad.com. I purchased mine for a 97 LS 400, at cost of $130.00. There is a wealth of information contained therein and well worth the investment.

Weight: 3759 lbs, or 1705 Kilograms
    For fuel consumption, 18-19 gallons is excellent.
    Consider the weight of your vehicle and the size (4.0 liter) of your 8 cylinder motor. Only a miracle could help bring higher MPG in everyday city driving. I would like to point out the brilliant efficiency of the motor at highway speeds, I do not know of another vehicle with same weight and engine size to duplicate this feat (30-32 MPG!). By the way, the LS 400 motor is approved in the USA for aviation use in small aircraft, what do you think about that?

Sheldon
  • paul29paul29 Member Posts: 178
    US gal larger than UK gal ? Do you use imperial measure in UK ?
    I suppose what you are saying makes sense, as it is a 10 year old car. When I read car magazines in the UK, and they talk about cars such as Jaguar's 2002 XJR only returning 23mpg(27.5 US mpg) and that has 370 hp. WHen I think of my LS400 with it's 240 hp engine, I think that I should perhaps trade up to a newer model for better fuel consumption.

Yes, US gallons are larger than UK gallons. Multiply UK gallons by 1.2 to get the equivalent in US gallons. That means I'm getting the equivalent of 37 US mpg on my long highway trips with cruise on. Has anyone ever got more than that on a 92 LS?

One thing that is odd with my LS is that after cruising for about 90 miles with the cruise set at 110mph one night, I found that I had got 19mpg (US 23mpg). That means I get better mileage driving at 110mph than I do when driving in city traffic.

Is the LS400 engine optimised when driving at that speed then? Sure makes a strong case for staying in the fast lane!
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    1 US gallon = 3.8 liters approx.

1 UK (Imperial Gallon) = 4.5 liters approx.
    Correct , or in a more direct way 6 US gal. equal approx 5 Imperial gal , or a US gal = 5/6 Imp. gal , or a US gal is approx 83% of an Imp gal. Lexus_fan your conversion factor of 6/5 Imp to US is correct , just your observation of the relationship is off. Picky we are.
  • adg2677310adg2677310 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 LS 400 with 95,000 miles It is certified to 100,000 (about two months given the miles I put on it). Over the last 7,000 I have noticed a problem with my power steering.

After I have been traveling at high speeds, and when i exit a highway, my power steering locks up. I can turn the wheel with two hands, however there is no power and instead it feels like manual steering. Very often once I come to a complete stop, the steering seems to break free and I once again have power steering.

I have brought it to McGrath Lexus in the Chicago area and they say they can't find or duplicate the problem.

Anybody have any similar problems or possible solutions? All assistance is appreciated.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hmmm...I wonder if the power steering fluid is cavitating (foaming up with air bubbles) and thereby loses the ability to act hydraulically. I suggest this because it only happens at very high speeds you say. Not sure why this would occur however.

Seems like the pump would either work or not, so only other thing I can think of is a valving problem in the ram itself.

You may just have to wait until total failure on this or take your best guess and replace something.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Mr Shiftright is probably on the right track. Check for leaks at the return hose from the steering gear to the pump. A leak on the pump suction side will quickly aerate the fluid.
    Oh, that's right! It will suck in air on the return (non-pressure) side. Do indeed check that out.
    Yep, just like trying to sip through a straw with a pinhole in it. Something else to check for is a restriction in the return hose; kinked, tight radius turn, breaking down internally, etc.
  • wellenbergerwellenberger Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Lexus LS 400 with 55000 miles on it. I have been getting a vibration or shudder at about 74mph up to 85mph. I had the tires rotated and balanced twice with no help. Could this be a drive shaft problem with the drive shaft being out of balance? Has anybody experience a similar problem
  • q45manq45man Member Posts: 416
    All the Lexus have small fine screen in pump and rack to act as filters if you havent changed flushed the PS fluid every 50k, the screens will clog restricting the flow....ultimately causing the pump to wear and fail. The pressure build up can cause leaks on the alternator causing it to fail.
    Changing all the fluids annually is the key to getting 300k out of them.
    anyone know of any non-lexus dealers that can service 1992 LS400 in the UK?

Now that the car is so old, there doesn't seem a point to paying £90 per hour labour prices at Lexus dealers.

Cheers,

Lexus_fan
    Wellenberger -- I would say that your problem is being mis-diagnosed regarding balance. Driveshaft problems are invariably low rpm problems before they are high rpm problems, that is, you'd notice vibration at much lower speeds, not just suddenly at 70 mph or so. Also, driveshafts don't usually just "go out of balance" on their own. They would have to be removed or damaged first.

I would suggest looking at rear wheel balance or damaged wheel or out of round tire. If that doesn't work, you could look at components that SUPPORT the driveshaft, such as a worn center support bearing, or a binding U-joint that looks and feels fine but in fact cannot flex properly due to rust or a bad needle bearing.

If none of that shows up anything, you could be in for a hard time.
  • mjgoldmjgold Member Posts: 5
    An independant mechanic told me that I can use regular gas instead of premium in my 1992 LS400 with no harm to the engine and loss in performance. Any opinions?
    My coolant tank is leaking. If I find the leaking hole or the crack in the tank, can it be permanently sealed?
    Look on your fuel flap door " Premium Unleaded Fuel Only" . Your coolant tank is pressurized, any repair will have to withstand at least 17 to 20 psi at elevated temperatures.
    mjgold -- you could use regular gas, and your car's computer will probably adjust for it, but you will definitely notice a loss of performance. I'm surprised your mechanic would not know that the computer will retard timing to compensate for engine knock with the lower grade fuel. Given the size of your car's engine, this degradation of performance may not be dramatic, but it will occur nonetheless. Obviously, the Lexus engineers wanted the performance gains offered by the use of premium fuel and designed the engine accordingly.
  • vette4lyfevette4lyfe Member Posts: 1
    i have a problem with my 91 lexus Ls400.. it has about 146,000 miles and its a daily driver in California, America... the problem is when i brake from almost anyspeed above 10 mphs... the whole car vibrates very badly.. weve had the brakes changed.. the rotors changed..and almost anything to do with the brakes.. Anyone with the same problem or have a solution or a guess at the problem or where its from.. either post a reply or reply to me by email at Vette4lyfe@yahoo.com
    also anyone want to talk about their lexus and problems about it email me... again Vette4lyfe@yahoo.com
    My first guess would be a problem with the ABS system.
  • 1991ls4001991ls400 Member Posts: 20
    Hello,

When I turn on the AC, the 2 fans in front of the engine are not working. They're supposed to be on whenever AC is on. I have looked at the fuses, and they're all okay. Any sensors or relays that I should look at BEFORE I hotwire the fans to see if they are good?

Thanks!
    Your A/C cooling fan system has 1 fuse , 2 fusible links , 4 relays , 1 water temp. switch and 1 pressure switch involved in controlling the electric fans at low or high speed. To test the fans disconnect the water temp. sw.plug and turn the ignition sw on. the fans should run at high speed. The water temp sw is screwed into the drivers/engine/left side of the radiator at the bottom. Probably easier to get at with the big bottom engine cover dropped on that side. You can see it by looking down past the battery (small plug with two wires).
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for the tip! The fans are working via disconnecting the temp switch plug. I have re-checked the fuses again, and they're all ok. There's one 30-amp radiator fan fuse in the engine compartment, and that one is ok too. Something isn't right here because I don't ever hearing or seeing them "on" after driving the car for awhile and shutting the engine off. Cooling fans normally go on 2-3 minutes after the engine is shut down.

We know that the fans are in good working order. They don't work when AC is on, and they don't work as part of engine cooling system.

If you don't mind, please let me know where the 2 fusible links, and 4 relays are so I can look at them. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks again.
  • q45manq45man Member Posts: 416
    Test back in 1995 on the lowly Camary showed that shifting up from Regular to 89 octane decrease 40-70 mph acceleration by 1.1 seconds, going to premium knocked another 0.5 seconds off.

The main problem with regular is the amount of Olefins in gas vs Premium this gummy base stock will eventually take its toll.

http://www.api.org/pasp/rs083.pdf
    A few of notes , the electric fans only assist the engine driven fan when the engine temp. is 194 F or higher and then the fans run at high speed , the electric fans do not operate when the ign.switch is off and they do not operate when the engine temp is less than 190F and A/C system is on and the high side pressure is less than approx 190psi (High side pressure can be less than this trigger pressure at idle) , this last little oddity can be the condition you are experiencing , so it is worth exploring. Have someone watch the fans , put the climate control on auto, turn the temp down to max cold , hold the engine speed at 2000 to 2200 rpm , with the ambient temperature relatively warm. If your system has the proper charge the fans will come on at slow speed once the high side pressure reaches 192psi or higher , assuming everthing else is in order. The relays switch the fans from a parallel circuit ( high speed ) to a series circuit ( low speed ) depending on the above requirements.
    Thank you everyone for the advise on the regular v. premium gasoline
    Would anyone could recommend a reputable place to flash AT on my 92LS, using "Quick Clean" to remove the varnish and loose friction material and run AT on each gear at 2500 rpm for 4 min each? It was recommended this way on one of the earlier posts. It makes sense, though a few AT shops recommended (as long as AT fluid is no black), just to service it - drop the pan, rinse the filter and refill the fluid.
    I'd rather to do AT flush to be safe.
    Thanks, Paul! The fans are not on when AC is turned on, so I "think" the system doesn't have enough pressure to trigger the switch, or the pressure switch ifself is bad. I will have to test and find out.

Thanks.
    If you want to do the safe thing , just service do not flush . Make sure that the approved Toyota fluid ( Toyota ATF Type T-IV, the 4liter can is part # 08886-01705 ) is used , do not use Dexron or let anybody put Dexron in your unit, if they say it doesn't matter go somewhere else. Good luck
    Yes it sounds like you will have to get a set of guages hooked up to your system to test the pressure switch at 2000 rpm. The switch should open ( O C ) at 192psi ( terminals 2 and 3 on the switch ) and this will cut power to cooling fan relay # 1 and turn the fans on slow , . Remove the right headlight to access the pressure sw ( underneath). Remove the left headlight to access the cooling fan relays in relay block # 6 .
    I turned on the AC on my 91 LS400 and got lurk warm air. My mechanic told me to bring it in and he will check it for free.
    What are the possibilities? It has 106K miles on it. I am afraid it's gonna be $2000 repair...
    Any advise?
    Hi,

When I bought my car earlier this year, the dealer gave me one month warranty. The AC was blowing "hot" air like yours so I took the car back. They tried to recharge it but it didn't take the freon. AC compressor was bad. They ordered a rebuilt unit. The problem I have now is either the system does not have enough pressure to turn the pressure switch ON, or the pressure switch iftself is bad. The fans do not run at all when AC is on. When I drive the car I get cold air because air is passing through the condenser, but if I am at a traffic light and idling, I get cool to warm air depending on how long the traffic light is!

If your compressor is bad, just get a rebuilt unit from autozone or any auto parts stores. Do shop around and compare prices. A rebuilt unit should last at least 5 years.
    Andy;

Thanks for your help.
    Do they sell rebuilt AC unit at Autozone? That's a news to me. How much did they charge? What was a labor charge for it? If you live in SoCal, do you have a mechanic that can fix Lexus? Please advise.
    I wonder how much dealer charges for the new unit, and is it worth the money?
    Danny,

Autozone has rebuilt AC compressor w/clutch for $479.99 (part number 77326.) Any auto repair shops can put it in for you and the labor cost for it is $200 max. Another $100 from AC shop for recharging freon assuming your system has no leaks. I don't know what you have to pay for a brand new AC compressor from a Lexus dealer including installation and recharging.

I do know a guy that sells new and used Lexus parts, and his prices aren't better than autozone.
    Danny,

Autozone has rebuilt AC compressor w/clutch for $479.99 (part number 77326.) Any auto repair shops can put it in for you and the labor cost for it is $200 max. Another $100 from AC shop for recharging freon assuming your system has no leaks. I don't know what you have to pay for a brand new AC compressor from a Lexus dealer including installation and recharging.

I do know a guy that sells new and used Lexus parts, and his prices aren't better than autozone.
  • raimondi1raimondi1 Member Posts: 9
    Hi gang I have a 91 LS 400 that needs a small amount (about 1.25 lbs) of R-12 I am wondering if a 134-A conversion will work ok. I have heard yes and no from some people and want to make a well informed decision since the cost of R-12 is so high. I have had it leak tested and no leaks have been found anywhere (compressor,evaporator,condensor,recvr./dryer and all lines and fittings. Some people say have it evacuated and recharged with 134-A and it should work ok and others say there may be some issues with high head pressure and compressor failure. All responses are surely appreciated. Thanks Bob