Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

My 2000 Dodge Durango IS A LEMON!

Comments

• bridgetsbridgets Member Posts: 3
    I was not going too fast at all. I guess i need to more specific on the incident. The hill is steep and there was alot of cinders used to create traction and melt the ice and snow during several recent winter weather conditions. Pacement was dry, and my durango could not get the traction when i could not steer i panicked and hit the brakes. But thanks for your scientific response. I live off of this road and I have taken the turn many times. Your evaluation of the situation Just might be one Dodge will try and use against me.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    My apologies. I must have misunderstood your original post. I didn't realize you were driving down a steep hill covered with loose cinders when you locked up the brakes and kept going straight.
  • wandajfwandajf Member Posts: 1
    From the first day of purchase there has been a series of repairs. They range from window motors, steering problems, knocking engine, to replacement of the steering column. I had a persistent noise that was undetectable and after 5+ attempts for the dealership to repair my vehicle, I am still left with a deadbeat durango. Following the rules of arbitration and correspondence didn't help either; Chrysler is still ignoring the problem and there is no current resolution.

I am seriously considering trading the durango for a different type of SUV.

Signed,
    Unsatisfied and Upset
  • rc44rc44 Member Posts: 4
    I've had my Durango for about 34 months now and I don't have anything really bad to say about the car. I've experienced problems with the fog lights blowing out after only a couple of months. But that is all, considering I got into an accident after only three weeks of owning her.I needed a whole new front (hood,grill,lights,radiator,and air bags etc)and the car still runs like a champ. My lease is up in june and I'm considering getting an 01. Does anyone have anything nice to say about the new '01 Durango?? Let me know. rc44
  • dweezildweezil Member Posts: 271
    have rack and pinion steering? That sounds just like what happens to GM "x" and "A" and etc. cars when their steering racks start to give out.They get easier to steer after they've warmed up until eventually they don't warm up at all and there is no power assist.
  • chrydodjeep1chrydodjeep1 Member Posts: 13
    Yeah ! Congratulations Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth
    You did it, U Won ! Worldwide consumers have paid there hard earned money and you provided worldwide consumers with the worst Engineered vehicles on Earth...

Got to hand it to Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth you have Won beaten all your consumers.

Wise old saying you can't read a book by its cover :O)
    Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth great looking vehicle unfortunately for the unsuspecting consumer even to date Transmission failure, head gasket failure , too many more serious problems Etc...
    Just read this Newsgroup 2% Satisfied , 98% Unsatisfied . Surf the internet U will find 100s of thousands of Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle owners that are Big Losers. Telling there Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle Horror stories.

Now that Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth consumers have read the book by owning one of the worst Engineered vehicles on Earth. Consumers worldwide learned a costly but valuable lesson.

Now we have come to realize. Yes Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth they are the Winners.

Yep we the "Consumers of Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicles are the BIG LOSERS" !

Were losing vehicle trade in, Value its Awful.
    Quality Automobile Dealers don't want your Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle offering 50% of Galves Trade in if in Mint Condition.
    Even Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth Dealers are offering 50% of Galves. Now we are driving around in a nearly worthless Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle and paying for Major repairs :O(
    Its not going to get any better cause Smart Consumers are not Buying a New or even thinking of buying a used Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle.

We sure learned a Valuable Lesson > Never again buy Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicles. For those few Die Hards remember( Only a Fool Loses Twice )

Rejoice fellow Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle consumers now it is our turn to Win.

Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth your profits are gone, Stocks are dropping to an all time low Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth is just hanging on by a thread bankruptcy is near Hooray - Yeah !
    Now how does it feel to be a LOSER ! Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth :O)

Worldwide automotive consumers buy smart be a Winner don't become a Loser like the rest of us who owned or still own the worst engineered vehicles on Earth.
    Let Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth become the final Loser.
  • marggemargge Member Posts: 1
    Help! I just bought a new 2001 Durango SLT 2WD on WEDNESDAY (yes, just 4 days ago). Yesterday on my way home, a nice fellow motorists pulled beside me and said that my car was leaking something. I pulled over, and to my surprise I had been leaving a trail of some green liquid. My Durango was smoking in the back ( I think the liquid may have just been hitting the tailpipe and burning there). Anyway, I am not mechanically inclined, so I have no idea what this may be. Any suggestions, or has anyone had this problem before? Please tell me it's not a sign of things to come.
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    Green fluid is usually coolant (antifreeze), on most cars anyway (Toyotas use red, but most cars use green).
  • decaman7decaman7 Member Posts: 1
    We live in NY and have traveled to Wyoming, Montana, California and Colorado towing a 1,800# pop-up camper...with a manual transmission Isuzu Rodeo and NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS! Thought we'd upgrade to a Durango for our trip last summer to Montana....more room for kids, more power on the mountain back roads we like to take. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! We actually had to stop and pull-over 8 times because the transmission overheated! They must have roadtested the towing capacity for this thing on a flat highway. Even on the interstate in Wyoming with a gradual incline, it still overheated. Dodge dealer informs us there is no transmission cooler we can even buy to add on! Other problems we've had have been with a really annoying noise in the steering wheel/column that they tell us "is just part of the way it was designed". Even with the biggest engine that we have the towing doesn't match the ability of our Rodeo to get up and down longer hills!
  • ohlertohlert Member Posts: 1
    If the steering wheel was hard to turn, the engine might have quit ... I didn't read all the posts to you. If it was IMPOSSIBLE to turn, it sounds comparable to a GM power steering problem of several years ago wherein a VERY small amount of dirt in the power steering fluid caused the steering wheel to lock up. GM lost a lawsuit after a major accident - after having won about 22 in a row. They then got that loss thrown out on appeal. This may be completely different, and in any case the problem was very rare. The lesson from that is that it is expensive to fight an auto company, and you would need an automotive apecialty lab to find and repeat the problem. You should try arbitration, then write the VP for maintenance in Detroit. But if they are no help, at least write the National Transportation Safety Board. Trade the Durango in at your Chrysler dealer if the problem is not discovered and corrected. Perhaps arbitration or Chrysler HQ will consider an extra discount on a new vehicle to make the problem go away. You will have a tough time selling it on your own since you likely must reveal known defects (most states). Give the Dodge guys the problem. They will then have to reveal the problem to a prospective buyer.
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    Of course there are transmission coolers that can be added. Its just that Chrysler doesn't sell them.

Just go to any RV or Hitch outfit (like U-Haul towing centers). Shop around of course.

You can even buy one from Pep Boys, Auto World, etc. They have them on the shelf. But you have to be mechanically adept to install it.
  • njwaz3njwaz3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a fully loaded 98 Durango slt plus. It is currently getting a new transmission ($2400).
    I was also told it needs a new front end (ball joints), 3 months ago I had to put in a water pump, I had it in for a window motor, etc...
    There are 60k highway miles on it and I do NOT tow anything with it.
    Chrysler said "we can't help you, you should have purchased the $2500 extendend warrantee"
    We also used to own an Intrepid ES in which the transmission went at 40k miles along with the air conditioning system...
    My Limited Grand Cherokee - ditto.
    Needless to say I will NEVER own another Chrysler product again. And I hope whoever is reading this will do the same.
  • taasstaass Member Posts: 40
    I'm not sure if "cupping" is the correct word. Basically, the leading edge of every tread stud is raised higher than the trailing edge - on the front tires only. This happened on the factory GY Wrangler RTS tires, and is now occurring on the new Michelin LTX. The right front seems to be developing this condition slightly faster than the left front, but both are certainly exhibiting this condition. The dealer's solution was to rotate the tires more frequently (great, then ALL the tires cup the same!). From experience, and reading, I believe that this can be caused by alignment and/or bad shocks. The alignment was checked and is good, and a simple rebound test doesn't indicate that the front shocks are bad. Tire wear is even and consistent across the entire treadface, but, is more pronounced nearest the sidewalls. I know this wear isn't normal, but I can't find any obvious signs of a problem.

The rear tires are perfect and don't have any signs of abnormal wear.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Would stiffer shocks help this condition? I'd appreciate any input and/or suggestions.

In defense of the Durango, though (since so many people post just their problems), the vehicle has been a flawless performer. Whether for long-haul road trips, around town go-getter, daily commuter, or off-roader, my Durango does all that it is asked and more. The only problem I've ever had after over three years and 40,000 miles is a dead battery - which was replaced under warranty. Everything works like a champ. No interior rattles, no engine problems (5.9L ooomph!). Following the scheduled maintenance costs more than owning a car, but that is the price of owning a 4WD. I change the oil and filter myself (die hard Mobil1 fan) every 3K, and do other minor maintenance. I treat the car well, and it has treated me well.

Anyway, just wanted to put a positive plug in for the D. Again, if anyone has some insight as to the tire problem, please let me know.
  • tsldurangotsldurango Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2001 Durango back in August and am quite disappointed. Torsion Bars have been replaced, security system replaced, leather seats are cracking and after 6 months my replacement seats have finally arrived. The entire suspension squeaks like a pig, numereous interior rattles, and their is a thumping noise which sounds like a bad tire in the front driver side however it is not a consistent noise, so the Tech's have not been able to diagnose the problem. I owned a 1999 Durgano and had minor problems - traded up and the 2001 Durango rides much smoother but I can't stand all the rattles and squeaks. Is there anyone else having these same problems, if so what should I do? Thank you for suggestions.
  • jerlbacherjerlbacher Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to everyone for bringing me up to date on some of your Durango problems. I have owned my 1999 Durango since December of 1998. I have 43000 miles on it, it receives routine maint., and I haven't had any problems with it until just last week. I took it in for it's normal oil/tire rotation and two days later, it would start but as soon as I took my foot off the accelerator it stalled. I had to have to towed. The garage hooked it up to the computer and determined it was #5 & 6 fuel injector...played with the connection and it started just fine for them. Again, two days later, I have the same problem. It starts but doesn't stay running. I "played" with the connections, but no such luck this time. I will have to have it towed again. Has anyone experienced the same problem? Any suggestions?
  • sbdurangosbdurango Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Durango and after having it for only 2 weeks it over heated. They said it was a faulty gasket. So they replaced it. When the towers came, they told me that I was the third 2000 Durango that they towed that week that had over heated. Now, after almost a year, I am smelling antifreeze every time I turn on my SUV. I don't think, I know I got a lemon.
  • u02cm62u02cm62 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my vehicle in March of 1999. My receiver for the keyless entry/security system, went out 2 weeks after I bought it. Both remotes also went out and I don't mean batteries either. Then I had the recall for the differential fluid, because I walked out after work and there was a pool of differential fluid that had leaked out onto the ground because it overflowed out the pressure release cap. Had it towed. Recall fixed it, but not until 2 times after bringing it in (first time mechanic just filled it). Security system keeps getting confused because I can't even use the key to get into my vehicle without the alarm going off. The programming on that option was finally turned off to allow the key, but for some reason it keeps returning, saying I can't use the key to open the door. Then the transmission gasket started to leak. I have 40,000 now, and all my problems were at 12,000 miles. Bought the extended warranty to 60,000 for 800 knowing full well, it would be worth the investment. It was no honda and I knew that. The factory put the spark plugs in so tight, that when I tried to take them out, the threads broke away from the plug, but the plug came out. Had to use special technique to get the damn threads out. Days later, without the help of a mechanic, I was able to get the spark plug out using a cancocksion that was a broom handle, and reverse threaded tool and some hefty pulling. Never knew it would be a 2 day event to change spark plugs. Had to change the wiper blades twice, once a year, because they fall apart. HEATER CORE went out and that is why you smell antifreeze or it leaks from another source. I owe $25,000 on a lease today, leased for 2 more years and they say it is worth 18K at the end, when it is 18K now that it is worth. Also, have 11,000 miles over on lease, hopefully will catch up to by the time I get rid of this piece of junk. My 1986 Toyota pickup had a better electrical system and engine that this thing. Have 5 other friends that have them and all have had similar problems.
  • newtruck9newtruck9 Member Posts: 7
    ok, i see that there are many problems with iol sludge, electrical, clunking, etc.... but i have a minor problem that has really started to be a pain..... THERE IS SO MUCH NOISE from the front of the truck that i can't even hear the radio... never even used the AC, and turn fan off for heater... still NOISE, any ideas.??? bug deflector help? History... owned a 98 Tahoe LT 2 years 55k miles 4wd, great truck! made the mistake a got a 2k 4.7 4wd durango... 2 major complaints ( ours has the overhead concole ) POOR GAS MILAGE !!! computer says 13 as average, reset and couple hundred miles later 13 mpg again.... other problem is WIND NOISE. We are in process of selling/trading and eating the loss, will get a 2001 Surbaban. Never again will i by a Dodge, should have learned on the Stratus. GOOD COMMENTS, our durango does look good, big tires, handles very good in snow, fun to drive,...... BAD>>> get it on the highway going 75 mph and better put in ear plugs and hang on with both hands, like driving a jeep cj5 with soft top.

PLEASE RESPOND with any ideas about Wind Noise.. thx.
  • sandywhitworthsandywhitworth Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1998 Durango SLT with 49,000 miles.. My "Check gages" light came on a couple of times during my warranty, but the dealer could not find a problem. Now my it comes on all the time! The Temp gage rises to 260, but then immediately goes back to normal after a few seconds, just about ever time I stop, the light comes on?????? My husband is going to check the thermostat tonight, but says it shouldn't have gone bad yet!! Also, he replaced my front brakes/linings, and still, it sounds like metal grinding everytime I stop..he again says the back brakes only need to be changed about once for every two-three times that the front brakes do.unless they are just crummy and cheap...is this correct???? Thanks for any help...Sandyw640@aol.com
  • sandywhitworthsandywhitworth Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Durango V8, I previously wrote message #120 regarding my "check gages light coming on every few minutes while driving. The temp gage would go up to 260 and then back down again to normal within seconds, my oil gage went to empty and back up quickly to normal a couple of times too. My husband replaced the thermostat and found that the collant had leaked out all around the gasket and also that oil had leaked out all over the engine, he is looking into that problem tonight! I only have 49,000 miles and also had to get a new battery at 37,000 miles. I have had to replace front rotors at 40,000 and still have a bad grinding noise when I brake most of the time..when I get that checked out, I will let you know what that is. It sure is discouraging already have so many problems, and right after warranty goes out.
  • jbordovajbordova Member Posts: 15
    Hey everyone.

We have a durango and it just hit 65,000 miles. We didn't have any problems, then one day we drove down the interstate and it stopped. We got a call a few days later from our dodge dealer and they said it was a pump and would be fixed soon. They then called back about ten minutes later and said a rod had gone through the engine and it needed replaceing. After alot of fighting with the dealer, who was a family friend, we paid the over 4,000 dollars to replace the 5.2 liter engine. We got out car back and it was terribly dirty and leaking oil. So we took it in a couple times and the fourth time the dealer said that they would put in another new engine for free. We did not understand this, and are thinking that they might have put in a used engine or something, but we don't know. So we just got our durango back with its third engine. We are going to trade it in for a lexus, and are never going to buy a car from that dealership. (Sam Lehmen, Peoria Illinois)
    I am dissapointed with Chrysler for putting out a poor vehicle. We have just started to discover that almost everyone that has a durnago has had major problems. So just in closing I strongly advise anyone to not buy a durango, you'll regret it!!!
    Jbordova: be fair in your assault on D's - far from EVERYONE is having problems with their Durango - just the people YOU talk to. People come to these message boards to gripe because of a problem. What you don't often see are the countless owners who are absolutely ecstatic with their vehicle.

Having said that, I AM thrilled with my '98 4X4 5.9. My dad drove it for a year, and then my mom for 2 years, and now I have the vehicle with 40,000 mi on it. Virtually trouble free except for a battery at about 29K that went bad (warranty replacement, no hassle). One has to expect some problems with every vehicle, otherwise you'll be completely dissapointed. Yes, even Toyota's break down.

Moving on to the reason I came here. Over the last year I've noticed what I believe to be valve noise coming from the right cylinder bank. It's more easily heard from underneath the vehicle than it is when I poke my head under the hood. I really don't think it is noise from an accessory, but it increases with 1:1 with engine speed. I'm almost sure it's valve noise (tick, tick, tick, tick). The noise doesn't vary with oil pressure or engine temperature. Engine performance is good as well as gas mileage.

The car is not used under severe service conditions, but I use the severe service maintenance schedule (3K oil chg, etc.) I've used Mobil1 since about 28K miles and have good-as-new oil pressure. Never had any engine problems, overheating, etc. Is this normal? Am I just being oversensitive to little noises? Thanks.
  • knuttybarknuttybar Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 SLT 4x4...and I wouldn't trade it for anything (except maybe a '01 R/T!) I have had to have the transmission replaced at 53000, but other than that, this car is a DREAM...it is the baddest looking SUV around, it has a folding 3rd seat, whereas in the overrated Expedition, you have to remove the entire seat, it has a kicking Infinity system, and with the 4x4 engaged, it takes me through bad weather and rough back streets with no prob. So for all of you thinking twice about getting a Durango after reading all these stories...DONT. Give a Durango a thorough test drive, and you'll love it as much as I do!
  • paul_njpaul_nj Member Posts: 6
    Hey, I think the Durango is the best looking truck out there. But geez, what the heck is going on? Everyone on here can't be wrong!
  • jbordovajbordova Member Posts: 15
    Hey everyone,

I knew some people would get mad that I post something bad about their car. The facts are that our properly maintained durango, with the supposed bullet proof 5.2 liter engine, died on us. I think its really weird how an engine can just throw a push rod through the wall. The dealer never really told us how it happened either. And they would not help us out on the new engine which cost us 4,000$. And after the second engine was installed and it kept leaking oil, they said they would just replace the entire engine again. That just seems real odd to me. Now with the third engine, the car makes a weird noise at idle. We do drive it alot, its only two years old and has 70,000 miles on it but our other cars all have lasted that. And I am not dogging American cars, most of our cars are American, I just believe from what I have experienced and heard from everyone else I know in the area that has durnagos that they are not put together very well. I am just sharing my experience because that is what these forums are for.

Well hats it, cya
    These are severe problems I'm whining about, but I'd like any information I can get. Under moderate to heavy acceleration starting around 2300 rpm I notice a bit of spark knock noise coming from the engine. I've heard various things such as Chrysler says it can be fixed by software upgrade, but there is not current fix. No reliable information though. Does anyone have any information on this condition? The engine still has plenty of power, gas mileage hasn't changed, and it runs smooth - just a little noise. Oh, and I still haven't figured out what is causing the tick-tick-tick noise from the right cylinder bank.
  • carls98carls98 Member Posts: 1
    In response to post #114. I have found the unusual tire wear with uneven outside tread blocks called "Feathering" to be caused by worn out lower ball joints at 32K miles on my 1998 Durango.

I have been very satisfied with my reliable 1998 4x4 Durango SLT 5.2L built in Oct 1997 on which I perform all of the normal maintainence.

Unusual tire wear and unbalanced type vibration started in last 5K miles and I also thought that a more frequent tire rotation would solve. However, I now have 4 equally feathered and worn Good Year tires. Front steering response also did not feel as tight as the last 2 1/2 years.

In Jan 2001, 3 months prior to the expiration of my standard 3yr/36K warranty, I performed a through inspection of my Durango after reviewing other complaints from Durango owners at the NHTSA web site. I found excessive vertical play in both of my front lower ball joints just like other people complained about and were told "Never seen that before" by dealers. Both of the front lower ball joints were repaired under warranty by replacement of the complete control arm assemblies (new arm includes ball joints and no boots) by the dealer. I also had to specifically ask (ask more than once/beg) for new ball joint seal boots to be used along with and on new ball joints. The new ball joints were then tested are were found somewhat sloppy to me, but are inside of the .060" mfg replacement specs. Vehicle now responds like new again and the feathering is now leveling out by normal wear. Vehicle front end alignment "Toe In" was also now set as close to 0 degrees as possible but still be within mfg spec range to assist in maximizing tire tread life.

I also had the lower window belt trim replaced under warranty on all 4 windows that were exhibiting bubbling/blistering from rust underneath the black rubber coating caused by defective end sealing on the parts (known 1998/1999 mfg/TSR defect).

My job gives me a constant opportunity to work with other SUV brands, and I am not at all excited about latest/expensive Ford or GM products. I have found that there is no perfect/flawless vehicle on the market and will step up to meet the service needs of my Durango to keep it. On the road, Off road 4 wheeling or towing a trailer, I really enjoy driving in it.
  • gabe1977gabe1977 Member Posts: 1
    I have been going back between the Durango and Tahoe. I have been driving a chevy Z-71 since '95, absolutely love the thing. It is starting to show signs of old age so I need to trade in, plus I need the extra storage. My problem is now after seeing a lot of negative things written about the Durango, would I be better buying the Tahoe and paying the extra money? To me, the Durango seemed to be the best deal for the money, but maybe that is the reason for the frequent problems, (Built cheap, sold cheap) The vehicle will be put to the test going to the hunting club and pulling the boat. Any advise as to which I should go for now? I need to get at least 100K out of it.
    Thanks for the input, carls98. I took my D in to get an alignment and . . . bad ball joints. Unfortunately, I'm 5K out of warranty. $510 later I'm back on the road. Hopefully the tirewear will improve.

Today I fixed two problems. For two years I've smelled coolant from the engine bay and would have to add coolant every 3000 miles or so. Not a big deal, but curious, nonetheless. I could never track down the source. . . until today. While looking for something else (which I'll explain in a moment) I found the crusty evidence of a coolant leak around the thermostat housing. I replaced the gasket (and the thermostat while I was at it) and the smell magically disappeared. Cost of repair: $0.75.

The next problem solved is a "ticking" noise I heard coming from the engine bay. I was fearful that it was a leaky lifter because the sound varied with oil pressure and engine speed. My diagnosis was way off, though. Turns out the noise - which could be heard quite easily in the cab - was coming from the duty cycle solenoid that purges the fuel vapor canister. This is mounted on the firewall nearly in front of the driver. While the noise could be heard, I got out and pulled the harness from the solenoid and - voila - the sound went away. There is a TSB on this item which states that this noise is commonly misdiagnosed as valve-train/engine noise. It also is isolated to Durangos manufactured prior to 12/5/97 - which mine was.

Everything is running great now. The ball-joints are the only major repair in 3 years. Since I'm so close to warranty, and the ball joints were so loose, do I have a case with Chrysler to at least reimburse some cost of the repair given that the condition obviously existed prior to warranty expiration? Or, am I just going to have to eat this one?

Everything's fixed now, and I'm happy to have my car back. I love driving my Durango and wouldn't trade it for any other vehicle out there (except, maybe a Ferrari 328 - yeah, old-school). Later.
    I just purchased a 01 R/T. I picked it up on Monday 4/9 and it's in the shop already and it's only Wednesday.Driving on the highway the check gauge light came on and I noticed the engine temp very high.I got off the H/W and the engine malfunction light came on.I get the car home and I have antifreeze boiling out of the radiator.I will find out tomorrow what the problem was.Can anyone help me if they had the same problem or know what the hell happened!! Please e-mail me at drago444@aol if you have any answers.
    Well,I found out that the engine did blow.I am now waiting to see if they will give me a new truck or if I'm going to have to fight with these people.To those of you that live in the NJ area,DO NOT BUY a Platinum Durango R/T with 150 miles on it.That's my old truck with a new engine in it.It's sitting in the lot at Warnock Dodge on Route 10.I'll keep you updated when I find out what they are going to do for me.
    Well,the dealer gave me another new truck this time with a skid plate on it for no extra cost.It's going on a week now that I have the truck and I have to say I'm impressed with everyhting so far.The interior is very comfortable and alot more user friendly since it's been redesigned.It handles better than my 98 that I had and it has alot more pickup than my old one.I would recommend trading up for one if you haven't already.I'll let you know if anything goes wrong with it (lets hope not).
  • wally28wally28 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 1999 5.2L 2WD SLT with 47,000 miles.

The oil gauge started dropping from 40 to 0 when the RPM's dropped below 900, but only after about 7 or 8 miles of driving.

Dealer detected sludge under the valve cover and says any repairs will not be covered by warranty. I have changed the oil about every 6,000 miles, using Pennzoil.

Dealer suggested changing the oil 4 times after 100 miles each, add "Miracle Mystery" oil each time. Have gone through a couple of cycles and am getting some very dark oil coming out, but not much "glopping".

One theory is the Durango "overheated" a month or so ago, getting up to about 250 degrees. Took it in to the dealer and they replaced the gasket on the engine water intake and the manifold gasket (sounds like that was a TSR). No mention of potential oil problem due to overheating or existence of sludge.

I am hoping that this "Miracle" treatment will work or that the sensor/gauge is bad. I can't imagine this engine is that tough on oil, but maybe I am wrong.

Anyone with a similar experience re: the oil gauge bouncing from 40 to 0 at low RPM? Any hope it is a sensor/gauge problem and not a sludge-related problem?

Dealer suggeste
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like a bad sensor, yes. Zero oil pressure would start your engine protesting loudly.

As for sludge, this is a complex issue involving both design, use and environmental factors. there is no easy answer to this, and volumes of papers from the SAE about it.

I thing 6,000 mile oil changes are way too long, and would cut them in half. Oil is cheaper than engines.

You might also want to have your cooling system pressure tested to see if there is head gasket damage and/or water contamination in the oil from head gasket seepage.
  • pyth99pyth99 Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I just had to have the transmission completely rebuilt in my 1998 Durango. It only has 42K miles, never been off road and never towed anything. I believe that you should expect the transmission to last a little more than 42K miles. What a joke!!! I wouldn't recommend this POS to anyone.
  • alanwagenalanwagen Member Posts: 28
    I am not just dogging Dodges, But when I had a 89
    Dodge Caravan. It went through 4 transmissions.
    That is they were Dodge dealer replacements too.
    I used Mobil 1 Synthetic and the engine started blowing oil. Even in Saturday's newspaper, they were reviewing a Intrepid and the article mentioned about Chryslers quality problems. I dumped my Dodge and chalked it up to an expensive lesson.
    Sell it before your warranty is up because even Dodge service is more expensive (parts) and you will need more of it. Most everyone I know that has a Dodge has had tranny problems.
  • czard1czard1 Member Posts: 7
    I have had my Durango now for 11 months. She has 28,000 new miles just turned this weekend. I have had absolutely no problems !!! I am sorry to hear about those that have these but all manufacturers put out a lemon every now and then. I totally synth'ed mine out at 300 miles. Mobil 1 in the engine, Amsoil C+ tranny fluid and Mobil 1 gear lube. I change the oil every 3 to 4 thousand miles and also put in the Amsoil reusable air filter. I have been road travelling, off-road and everyday work driving with no problems. I love my Durango and I am going to keep it for 10 years. I keep cars until the doors fall off. To be on the safe side though I did buy the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty.
  • cali7cali7 Member Posts: 1
    If anyone out there has had the same problem or knows someone who has let me know. My 1999 Durango started having fuel injection problems three months after I bought it. I bought it used but for the last eight months since it first started happening, I've had five injectors fail and be replaced only to be told it's something I'm doing to the car. I'm extremely upset and have contacted the manufacturer. I'm trying to avoid arbitration because I LOVE my Durango but not enough to be driving a rental car that doesn't even have power steering when I'm paying monthly for a Durango!!!!!

They say they've never seen this kind of problem before.....but I bet they say that to all the girls!!! Hahaha.
  • ewjamesewjames Member Posts: 1
    I've had my Durango since April of 99, now with 59000 miles. I live in the foothills of the Northern Sierras, and I've driven the Durango hard over most of the forest roads between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. I've taken it on two or three bona-fide jeep trails, and was limited only by the length of the Durango. The only problems the truck ever had was a very minor shifting glich that was fixed by a reprograming of the transmission ECM in March of 2000, and a rear window which worked inconsistently (fixed in the first month of ownership). As hard and fast as I've driven it off road, there are no noticeable rattles, no loose hinges...still as solid as the day I drove it off the lot.
  • cdalton1cdalton1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 01 Durango ST+ 4x4 with 14k. When I was looking the car over I did notice some unusual rust build up on the bottom of the car. It came form Michigan (carfax), but I dot know if this is the norm for cars driven in the north. Even if it is, should this be happening at 14k miles? I rotated the tires and noticed some pretty bad areas on the rotors (even some flaking on the edges)and on bolt heads and exhaust system. Is this normal for cars from the north?
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    I've lived in the northeast all my life so what you describe sounds normal.

I bet the bolts that are rusting get hot from the exhaust. Flakes on the edge of brake rotors is normal and does not decrease the life of the rotor.
  • grobin54grobin54 Member Posts: 5
    My Durango had a severe clunk/bang when going into reverse, a scuffing noise coming from the rear at 20-45mph under light load and minor vibration.

After 9 visits to the dealer (durango tied up for 18 days) within 8 months, their final statement was that the noise was normal for the vehicle. Nothing wrong. I am currently sueing DaimlerChrysler for the defective product.

At 40k miles, the trans started hanging up in 1st gear. If you held the gas pedal to the floor, it wouldn't shift out of 1st.

Last week, I went to a local trans shop and advised them of the shifting problem and had them listen to the driveline noise. They stated that the noise was not a normal condition. They now have the durango.

The severe clunk/bang going into reverse and the shifting problem was caused by a faulty valve body. Over the months of this situation, cause extreme wear on the trans and transfer case main chain.

The trans is currently out and apart waiting for approval from Warranty Gold to rebuild it, install a new valve body, and replace the transfer case chain.

Two weeks ago, I replaced the GoodYear Wragler tires with Cooper tires. 90 percent of the vibration has dissappeared.

I will let you know of the final outcome.
  • piadillapiadilla Member Posts: 4
    My 99 Durango also made a horrible clunking sound when shifted into reverse and at about 20k it also started to get stuck in first gear. You could push the pedal to the floor but it would continue to rev high in first for at least the first 500 yards. We sold that P.O.S last fall and I would never buy a Dodge/Chrysler again. Every trip to the Dealer brought on more excuses of "well thats a normal noise", and we went to several dealerships. If you have a Durango you better really love how it looks on the road because you're going to pay through the nose to keep it there.
  • landsteamlandsteam Member Posts: 9
    My durango never had a problem since new.
    I never brought it back to the dealer once for any reason..but after reading all the posts i am getting a little uneasy about it..
    I have about 34k on the truck.
  • lyonsmjlyonsmj Member Posts: 3
    The check engine light has been coming on in my Durango and the engine is revving excessively when started. It is also revving during driving. The tach will jump 400-500 rpm at times when driving @ 55-70 mph. The coil and computer have been replaced to no avail. When they check the computer for codes, it tells them I have bad injectors. Has anyone had this problem and gotten it fixed?
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    there is a statue that may help you if your state has tight controls on repair frequency and mileage limitations.

The Magnusson-Moss Consumer Act covers "Breach of Warranty" situations that not only goes above and beyond many state lemon law statutes, it allows for increased compensation for the vehicle owner or the "buyback" that a lemon law provision allows.

I do consultation work for lemon law lawfirms and the lemon law case versus breach of warranty cases are split 50/50.

Don't think you're down and out because your rig has miles on it - besides, the Mag-Moss is FEDERAL, not state!
    lyonsmj

You might want to check the Throttle Position Sensor. It caused +/- 200 RPM surging on my Durango, I replaced it and everything is now fine.
  • lyonsmjlyonsmj Member Posts: 3
    Wally28

Thanks for the input. The dealer still has my truck and I just called them and gave them this info. Was you truck sending code to the computer identifying this problem? Mine isn't.
    lyonsmj

I suggested to the dealer that the TPS was malfunctioning and they confirmed it. I am not sure how they did it. The "Check Engine" light was not on when I experienced my RPM surging.
    lyonsmj

You might want to check this out:

Link

This discussion has been closed.