Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 impala base jerking

ritadritad Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
PLEASE, DON'T LET THIS BE SERIOUS. I JUST BOUGHT
THIS CAR LESS THAN A WEEK AGO OUT OF STATE. IT HAD
32O MILES NOW LESS THAN 900. THE ENGINE IS JERKING
AND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON. I WILL TAKE IT TO
THE DEALER THIS WEEK. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT'S UP
POSSIBLY BEFORE I GO. SHOULD I OR CAN I GET A NEW
CAR CONSIDERING I HAD THE CAR LESS THAN A WEEK. I
SIGNED THAT DARN ARBRITATION CONTRACT. ANY COMMENTS
WELCOMED.

Comments

• impala0impala0 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 loaded ls Impala with the 3800 series 2 motor and 10,000 miles on it and have encountered absolutely no problems. I have read about this problem on a Impala forum on the 3400 motor. The solution was the replacement of some kind of module ,nothing major just one of those parts that manufactorers outsource to other companies. Another person stated that the regular gas they were using was causing the problems. Personally I buy Amoco regular gas only and pour a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank about every 3000 miles. Good Luck I hope you enjoy your Impala as much as we have ours.
  • karzzkarzz Member Posts: 151
    Might want to check out this site to see if you have similar problems with your Impala:

http://www.execpc.com/~thor101/impala/
  • chevyman12chevyman12 Member Posts: 8
    I have a Impala 2000 LS at 600 miles I had to replace a coil. Now at 6000 miles the Service engine soon light came on again. Not wanting to go through what I went through before (long story with dealer). I brought it to the dealer again. He said nothing is wrong. I said replace the other two coils please. He did and so far it is ok. Has anyone else had this problem. I love the car style and all. but this is putting a negetive spin on it. Thanks
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    I too have a 2000 Chevy Impala LS (LightDriftwood Metallic) and the car has been flawless. I currently have 7,800 miles on the odometer and I haven't experienced any engine problems or Check engine lights. I use 89 Octane gas and are obsessive about regular maintenance...change oil/filter every 3,000, tire rotation done at 7,700, plan to do transmission service and coolant flush at 25,000. So far no problems.

My car has a built date of 1/00 and the last six digits of the VIN# are 266511.

When was your car built? Is your car an early Impala LS production model?
    TEO- Thanks for the information. But how do you find the built date. my last 6 digits VIN# are 337465. I would appreciate your help. I really love the car and like you are obsessive about regular maintenance.

Thanks
    Chevyman12
  • wwnfwwnf Member Posts: 40
    I have 19k miles on my Impala LS, had the front rotors turned at 12k. Not much else. I just wanted to comment on changing your oil every 3,000 miles. Since when did this "every 3K miles" start? I'm sure engines have become less dependent on changing your oil that often. Why does my Impala have an Oil Life tracking system? I have changed my oil before any computer telling me to change it but I check my oil often and when I changed my oil the second time after 3k it still look pretty good, a lot better then my camaro treated oil.

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is, do ads tell us to change every 3k miles just so they can sell more oil? I know every car is different, but I know every 3k on mine isn't needed. Maybe when it gets older, =).
    To locate the your car's build date, open the driver's door and locate the manufacturer sticker on the side "jamb" portion of the door's frame. You'll see the Month/Year of actual vehicle manufacture.

Going by the last six digits of your VIN number, your car is much newer than mine, probably built around March/April 2000.

If you want to get the actual build DAY, go to:

www.gmcanada.com

send a message to GM Canada customer service with your full VIN number and they'll reply with the actual build day of the month.

Remember, you car was built at the Oshawa, Ontario Canada GM plant.
    Your car is exactly 70,954 produced Impala units ahead of mine.
    TEO- Thanks for all the help.

Chevyman12
  • erasburyerasbury Member Posts: 7
    I sent GMCanada some email requesting the build date for my '00 LS and '00 SS. Their response was to contact US Customer Service, who said they don't have exact build dates. Any ideas what else to try?
    That was a very unusual response....when I wrote an E-mail to GM Canada requesting the actual build day of my Impala LS, they responded within 48 hours of my request with no fuss.

I assume you also own a '00 Montecarlo SS, which is also built at he Oshawa, Ontario plant complex.

Try again, this information is very easy for them to retrieve.

Try a different Customer relations link in their website.
  • mechanmechan Member Posts: 7
    I would try GM Canada again. This time, when you contact them, do not identify yourself as a US citizen. GM Canada will tell any US customers to contact GM USA for information.

Make sure you give only your serial number and e-mail address when requesting build date information and do not reveal that you are not Canadian, as they will not help you any further if you reveal this.
    Good point. I never told the GM Canada people I was a US Citizen.
This discussion has been closed.