Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

URGENT: 95Taurus SHO 3.2L

snugglbondsnugglbond Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Ford
I have a 95 SHO with a 3.2L. It is not listed
amongst the 20+million Fords included in the list
of Ford's with the ignition control modules on the
distributor, which causes stalling. On the 3.2L
the ignition control module is located on the DOHC.
The problem with the other's is that when the
module gets over 257 degrees F the car turns off.
Well, my question is whether the DOHC gets that
hot...it seems blistering to me. DOES ANYONE ELSE
OUT THERE HAVE A 3.2 SHO THAT TURNS OFF AND NO ONE
CAN FIND WHY????

Our SHO has 92000 on it, had about 65000when we
bought it used. Came with a rebuilt tranny, so we
felt safe there, knowing the Ford trans probs. The
car has been in the dealer since mid-March...we
get it for a couple days then it does it again.
They have replaced all the following: 3 ignition
control modules, the EGR valve, the cam and crank
sensors, a wire harness (?), the entire fuel pump
and surrounding system, including fuel injectors.
I think that is it...we actually have gotten free
rentals from them after going to a local tv station
about our car...it has been at this dealer 9
times. We have no lemon protection as it was used
when purchased. The car shuts off at highway
speeds, as well as idling or lower speeds. No real
warning, just a small shudder, then all the
indicator lights come on, and the car is off. I
lose brakes and steering of course. I have
reported to NHTSA, and found 44 other reports there
besides mine of this. I do know about the
bulletin regarding the ignition control modules in
models through 95 where it is placed on the
distributor and overheats, causing the SAME TYPE OF
STALLING. But, my module is on the DOHC, which
seems to me to be as hot or hotter than the
distributor would be. SUGGESTIONS??? We are out
$2200 at this posting, and more to come, I am sure.
Most recently, the ninth visit, they had the car
a whole month and brought an engineer in, who
suggested the wire harness. The stalling is not
throwing codes at this point, although initially it
did indicate EGR and/or ignition control/fuel
pump, hence those repairs. HELP!!!!

Comments

• MechiMechi Member Posts: 1
    We have a '94 SHo and it was stalling intermittely and I replaced the emergency fuel shut off switch in the truck and the problem was solved. It was an inexpensive part and may be worth a try. Marc
  • portedported Member Posts: 16
    I have a '93 SHO Auto that had it happen a few times. Dealer had trouble finding it, although it has not happened in a long time. I used to live in Atlanta (where I bought it) and it would only happen on really hot days. However, it would start-up and not occur again. Happened twice on the freeway (amazing I was able to coast to the shoulder both times in rush hour!), and always seemed to be soon after start-up. Same "all lights on". I do not have my records close by or I could verify the final fix.

FYI: had an '89 5-speed that was solid and loved it. This one has been a lemon, probably $4K of repairs. Bought it as a "factory exec." with 2500 miles. New trans. at 78K, no help from Ford (cost them an LS8 sale!, and an SUV probably.) An acquaitance worked at the Lincoln plant, told me that the same transmission in the Continental had to have the V8 strapped-back for horsepower because it could not handle it (280 or so in the RWD Town Car vs. 240'ish in the FWD Continental.)
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Not to sound unsympathetic, but good luck. A friend of mine once had a SHO, and it was reasonably reliable, but when it did need anything, the guys at the local dealer were clueless, and offered the lame excuse that it was because it was a Yamaha engine. (Which it is, of course, but they should still be trained on the product, one would think.) He finally just ended up selling the car.
  • portedported Member Posts: 16
    The engine itself is probably the best and most reliable thing about the car! Eats brake rotors, numerous electrical gremlins, transmission issues, etc. I would think the stalling problem is outside the engine itself. The V6 was wonderful, power at any speed or RPM, smooth, docile around town but look out when you hit the gas! Too bad they got rid of it, it was teriffic.

My .02 :)
  • whullingerwhullinger Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1990 SHO, it's a wonderful automobile and believe it or not they're not that mysterious to work on. There's plenty of help out there. Reviewing the previous responses the fuel shut off could be a good direction I don't know if your are aware of this but there is a company called SHO Shop website www.shoshop.com. They have techs that will assist you with your problems. These people know SHO's better than the ones that designed them. They are also a good supplier for parts etc. Good Luck -whatever you do don't just give up and sell it because they're one hell of a car. I love mine- good luck Bill
This discussion has been closed.